Something freaky going on with Yellowstone seismographs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
yellow stone is over due to explode by at least 10,000 years. there is about 15000 years of leeway.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainKernel

Why don't you provide us with some links then rather than just making a statement? I can find nothing at all that relates to the temperature of this lake, other than the fact that it varies greatly according to the time of year and a study done in 2006 by the USGS makes no mention of any concerns about the temperatures of the lakes covered in the study.

Obviously rising temperatures in a body of water above a plume would be a concern, however Jenny Lake and the others in the same system are not above the plume, indeed are not in YNP at all.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Its been a couple months since I've heard it talked about but I will email a close friend at the BLM and see if he has some numbers for us at the least. You will have to be patient with my display of information on this site as I just joined today.
In regard to your statement about that particular lake string not being in the park itself I am aware of that but I'm fairly certain that the caldera beneath the lakes does not have to pay the twenty dollar fee to drive through the park nor respect any of the boundaries when it decides to erupt or even give signs of the possibility.
I became interested in the caldera when, as an avid outdoors-man, I read that Idaho has more natural hot springs than any other state including Alaska. After acquiring a great book, "A Falcon Guide to Hiking in the Pacific Northwest" I visited over 30 springs per summer for over five years. I have definitely become partial to certain ones and have noted that the springs on the eastern side of the state have grown noticeably warmer since I began my newfound enthusiasm some ten years ago.
Jenny Lake and Landslide Lake and a few smaller bodies of water have made it into the local news media in Idaho Falls concerning the rise in their temperature, but the attention to the topic has dissipated in the past couple of years. If I do not hear back from my friend, one idea you could try is searching articles in Idaho Falls, ID's newspaper. Its called the Post Register. Or I believe the local Jackson daily is called the Herald.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Pervius
NASA has a satellite measuring the thermal temperature of earths crust.

You can see all their data for everywhere's on earth.....except Yellowstone.

Surely there is a reason NASA and our capital are all the way over here on the east =)

The Capitol is on the east coast because the first European ship to arrive in "america" landed on plymouth rock in Massachusetts and with no Interstate Highways as yet, they did not have to travel too far to build a Capitol city.
Kennedy space center was built on a coastline because landing in water is safer.
No NASA in Yellowstone because there is no coastline in Wyoming, Montana or Idaho.
NASA' also has Jet proplsion lab is on Kalifornia's west coast.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
That dropped off almost completely since you posted the story. Coincidence or info control?

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
for years the jelly hotspot moves north-east...would be silly to think that an next eruption would be on the same spot as 640.000 years ago......

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Though the thermal map from NASA seems to be pretty global if you ask me ..

This map doesn't make any sense, whatsoever ...

The northern icecap is reported to be the warmest surface on the earth ... which is absolutely bogus. FIrst of all, that area doesn't have a crust ... it's all ice, on top of an ocea ... no landmass underneath.

I'm raising the BS-flag

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Maybe that's why Obama is in Hawaii right now

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

6.6 hit Siberia 5 hours ago

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bjarneorn

From one grumpy old man to another

The northern icecap is reported to be the warmest surface on the earth

Those are temperature anomalies, in other words the departure from what they decide is the 'norm' depending on how they fiddle it so what they are saying is that the Arctic is 4 or whatever degrees warmer than it was and is the hottest DIFFERENCE.

I hate anomalies!

I still agree it is BS however since the last report i read said:

What these eminent scientists are predicting is significant: “We predict an annual mean temperature decrease for Svalbard of 3.5°C from solar cycle 23 to solar cycle 24 (2009–‐20) and a decrease in the winter temperature of ≈6°C.”

Polar amplification works both ways

Since we are in SC24 those 'anomalies' should be showing negative, but I guess it depends who is cooking (the figures)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainKernel

caldera beneath the lakes does not have to pay the twenty dollar fee to drive through the park nor respect any of the boundaries

Oh I see, now we have calderas running loose all over the place doing just as they please? And just who exactly decided that this caldera should have an exemption?

Actually, being serious, the land mass is moving south west over the hot spot so over the centuries and millennia it is moving further away from the Tetons.

Also being serious - there is a $20 fee?

PS: I am not giving my email address to yet another darn media outlet. There are 2 articles with water temperature in them. 1 may be relevant, the other not.

Oh and welcome to ATS by the way!!

edit on 27/12/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
It's ramping up again as of this morning, 12-28. Same monitor station. Still nothing on USGS. Could lava flow cause those reading? Heavy equipment operations? Drilling?
isthisthingon.org...
edit on 28-12-2011 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

I was just looking at the charts on the volcano observatory site and I have no idea what I'm looking at but I know that those squiggly lines shouldn't be so squiggly lol, and then I looked at the past 6 days and it seems to be getting more active.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I have no clue (even after reading thread) what is going on but just wanted to take my hat off to Puterman for yet again telling it like it is with knowledge, wisdom and good backing data.

/* takes hat off

Good to see information being processed by those that know their subject. Kudos

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
I'm seeing some solid color unlike before. Also others monitors in the area and especially to the southeast, activity seems to be picking up slight but steady. Puterman's info was informative and logical. I would hope him to take another look to reaffirm what he initially said.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Okay, here's the deal:

Take a look at what we call the "yellowstone thumbnails". This is a nice over-view of all the seismos in the park at a glance:

thumbnails

Looking at that, the seismo in question (pelican) is very obvious. Why is it obvious? Because it is the ONLY one that is such a mess. This is the first clue that it is either local 'noise' or station interference.

If this were of seismic origin, it would show up on the other stations. If you look back at the graphs, you will see that the recent 6.6 in RUSSIA shows up on these stations.(change the date to the 27th and click on generate report. See about half way down...the blue signal? THAT is the quake in Russia) That gives you an idea of what I am talking about. A 'micro' quake right under the Pelican station would obviously show up biggest on it...but it would also show up on ALL the other stations. Something big enough to make a mess like that, would be on ALL those stations if it were seismic....or lava...or HT (harmonic tremor).

Trust me, I have gotten overly excited several times regarding quakes and 'noise' in Yellowstone. This isn't anything to try to figure out any further. Its either weather (wind moving tree roots) or a bad station.

There is a great thread on Yellowstone if any of you are interested in learning more about it. It's an incredible place that I NEVER get tired talking about!! I hope to go there again this summer.
edit on 28-12-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Okay, here's the deal:

Take a look at what we call the "yellowstone thumbnails". This is a nice over-view of all the seismos in the park at a glance:

thumbnails

Looking at that, the seismo in question (pelican) is very obvious. Why is it obvious? Because it is the ONLY one that is such a mess. This is the first clue that it is either local 'noise' or station interference.

If this were of seismic origin, it would show up on the other stations. If you look back at the graphs, you will see that the recent 6.6 in RUSSIA shows up on these stations.(change the date to the 27th and click on generate report. See about half way down...the blue signal? THAT is the quake in Russia) That gives you an idea of what I am talking about. A 'micro' quake right under the Pelican station would obviously show up biggest on it...but it would also show up on ALL the other stations. Something big enough to make a mess like that, would be on ALL those stations if it were seismic....or lava...or HT (harmonic tremor).

Trust me, I have gotten overly excited several times regarding quakes and 'noise' in Yellowstone. This isn't anything to try to figure out any further. Its either weather (wind moving tree roots) or a bad station.

There is a great thread on Yellowstone if any of you are interested in learning more about it. It's an incredible place that I NEVER get tired talking about!! I hope to go there again this summer.
edit on 28-12-2011 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

wow thats an awesome link, the thumbnails link, thanks for sharing!

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Ok, here's the deal. That is the link I posted, along with another of the same site in the on the headline story. My thiing is, it was 1 going off suspiciously. Now, several are going off suspiciously. I'm waiting for Puterman, a seemingly knowledgeable source on such topics, to roll back around on this.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

OMFG. They are not going off. Those are not seismic signatures.

Now don't you think with the amount of alarmists there are here that know seismic signatures extremely well, we would be all freaking out if there was anything of consequence on those graphs?

Well we would. So just chill the **** out. We got it covered, and right now there is NOTHING going on at Yellowstone. FFS.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

OMFG. They are not going off. Those are not seismic signatures.

Now don't you think with the amount of alarmists there are here that know seismic signatures extremely well, we would be all freaking out if there was anything of consequence on those graphs?

Well we would. So just chill the **** out. We got it covered, and right now there is NOTHING going on at Yellowstone. FFS.

That's why I posted on this thread too, to find out what exactly those signatures are, can you explain what they are and why they look like a kindergartner with a crayon went ape # on paper?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join