It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something freaky going on with Yellowstone seismographs

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Looking at the pics though, it does appear to be cooling down in the last few years, rather than warming up as in 2000 or so. It does seem to pulse up and down. Never knew volcanoes changed colour internally. Cool and educational.

ETA Geddit? Cool and..oh nevermind. Now, who hasn't had a star? Its Xmas! GLP Are on the vodka already? I mean it well GLP! Merry Xmas!

edit on 25/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yes it is.. but I imagine it would be that way, water flows through the earth, surface temperature changes so I would imagine volcanoes and the earth's crust have it's own sort of weather system ..

By the way, for that noisy chart that was posted, sourced from GLP .. I found the actual source .. you can see other charts, it seems only one of them is noisy which is quite unusual ..

source link

It's pelican cone, the rest of them all seem to be generally quiet .. except one north east of pelican cone, which means the entire region isn't experiencing this.. could it be any kind of localized surface activity skewing the measurements? seems weird for one station to read it
edit on 12/25/2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

It may be from 2007 but it shows that NASA is monitoring and sharing date from Yellowstone.

Contradicts the lie told by Pervius.

edit on 25/12/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Wow guys, I would never quote GLP here and expect people to believe.

That in NO WAY looks anything like harmonic tremors. In fact, it looks like nothing but a bunch of static/interference or just a plain bad seismo.

I have been watching it...one way to tell if it is really seismic, is to look at other stations. If it is isolated, than you can be pretty sure it is either a very local issue (like a generator/plow/cows, etc.....) or equipment.

Trust me, if there was ANY sign of HT in Yellowstone, there are over a dozen people here on ATS that would starting a new thread all at once.

I'm sure Puterman (or a few others) will show up soon and give you a more thourough analysis on it, but I wanted to let you all know that it has been seen before (many times) and that station often has issues.

Merry Christmas!!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reposting what i posted above just so it's not overlooked ( sorry )

I found where GLP got that chart

source

Notice the other stations around the region are relatively quiet .. only near pelican cone is it noisy .. could this be a malfunctioning device or some kind of surface activity causing misreadings? .. seems odd for pelican cone to be so active and the rest of the region so quiet.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

My thoughts exactly given what I just posted... I agree, this seems like a big nothing.

With the normal looking surface temperature data I found and what appears to be a glitched out seismograph, I think this is nothing.
edit on 12/25/2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

I have been watching it...one way to tell if it is really seismic, is to look at other stations. If it is isolated, than you can be pretty sure it is either a very local issue (like a generator/plow/cows, etc.....) or equipment.

Well said.

Considering a large enough quake can be picked up from the opposite side of the planet, the fact that neighbouring seismic stations show nothing indicates an error or very localised event.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Could be wind or a stray rabbit or the like. The other stations show diddly is going on.
edit on 12/25/2011 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast
Wow guys, I would never quote GLP here and expect people to believe.

That in NO WAY looks anything like harmonic tremors. In fact, it looks like nothing but a bunch of static/interference or just a plain bad seismo.

Trust me, if there was ANY sign of HT in Yellowstone, there are over a dozen people here on ATS that would starting a new thread all at once.

I'm sure Puterman (or a few others) will show up soon and give you a more thourough analysis on it, but I wanted to let you all know that it has been seen before (many times) and that station often has issues.

Of course, your right, if there was some serious s**t going down in yellowstone, the big guys would be the first to report it. Time to go back to watching the telly box.

Merry Christmas!!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

That was what looked weird. On the 1st page of the site that is the only one that jumps out at you but when you click on it all you see is just a little bit of a blip here and there. Nothing like the "noise" you see on the main page. Oh well, we still have 2012 to come eh?

Psst. The links were posted by the OP. Just sayin'

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

The local Xmas "office" party is getting a bit lively?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedoctorswife
Of course, your right, if there was some serious s**t going down in yellowstone, the big guys would be the first to report it. Time to go back to watching the telly box.

Merry Christmas!!

A big GAL already summed it up quite nicely.

It's just telemetry error of some kind, possibly ice, from the looks of it to me. But it's no harmonic tremor, that much is for sure. And it's not seismic- no corroborating stations. It's just errors on a station which happen all the time, on all networks, and the WY network is no exception. You spot em easy after a while, but the only thing freaky going on in Yellowstone is happening among the animals.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

but the only thing freaky going on in Yellowstone is happening among the animals

Splain Lucy -

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Yes TrueAmerican. I to would like to know a little more about what you meant. Has there been recent unusual animal activity at the park? Please do share. ^__^

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anmarie96
reply to post by TrueAmerican

but the only thing freaky going on in Yellowstone is happening among the animals

Splain Lucy -

I do believe that was a joke pertaining to perversions in the night

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Activity at Pelican Cone 'analysed' at the link below,

www.youtube.com...

just for info!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Well I guess that leaves me nothing to say really. Yes, the fact that the 'noise' appears on one seismo is an indicator that it is a problem with the instrument normally.

Pelican however was functioning normally on the 23rd and the 'noise' started during the 24th at around 1900 UTC (1100 MST). To me this says that the signal is connected to weather. When you look at this on a different plot it is very typical of this. YPC.WY..EHZ.2011.359

In fact, the signal looks very like tree root rock. Sharp spikes with little or no duration. So what does it sound like? Well to me it sounds like tree roots, or possibly ice but i think too frequent for ice. YPC-20111225-SampleSound.WAV That sample is only at 5 x normal speed. Think of the noise of wind on your camera. Sound similar?

What does it look like?

So as it sounds, lots of short duration frequencies. One thing is absolutely certain from that it is NOT seismic and is NOT harmonic tremor in my opinion always remembering of course that I am not a seismologist

So if it sounds like tree roots, and looks like tree roots on the spectrum, is it tree roots?

I believe we can reasonable assume those are trees, and what is more they are dead trees (imagery date Feb 2010) and are probably still up there. Being dead they will be far less secure than living ones and more likely to rock.

I rest my case.

edit on 26/12/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Mez353

Activity at Pelican Cone 'analysed' at the link below,

What can I say?

Obviously I am wrong. You Tube has spoken!

edit on 26/12/2011 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by OrNaM3nT

Although all the comments on here are within the realm of being correct, they do lean towards the shortened, more human-like timeline. I live within about an hour and a half's drive to the middle of the National Park and have several friends who do work related to and for the park, including working for uncle the big brother man Sam. The Yellowstone Caldera has historically erupted every half-million or so years, at least as far as local geologists can discern from sediment layers. If I'm not mistaken this average was arrived at after a pattern emerged from the three to four (I may be way off) previous explosions that are evidential to geologists. Currently, we are somewhere around the 560,000 year mark since it last blew which would lovingly equate to this analogy: Your girlfriend and mother are the same person, and they are eight and a half months late on getting their period. Or.... We are roughly 60,000 years overdue for the west coast to be in Indiana.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I haven't yet read every response to this topic to the letter, but I know a concern amongst my cohorts is the rising lake temperatures in the area. See what kind of data you can dig up on Jenny Lake outside Jackson Hole WY. I know in the last ten years it has taken a significant jump in temperature.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join