It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dog uses gun to save her pups!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   
www.cnn.com...

If only my watchdog could use a gun...

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I seen this on the news last night. I dont Believe the dog knew to use the gun or intented to.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:13 AM
link   
What an a$$....he got what he deserves! There is NO excuse for that. If you don't want an animal, take it to rescue resource...stupid humans!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpittinCobra
I seen this on the news last night. I dont Believe the dog knew to use the gun or intented to.

Of course not, but it was funny nonetheless.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
All i can say is HA HA HA this guy deserved what he got!

A man who tried to shoot seven puppies was shot himself when one of the dogs put its paw on the revolver's trigger.

Jerry Allen Bradford, 37, was charged with felony animal cruelty, the Escambia County Sheriff's Office said Wednesday. He was being treated at a hospital for a gunshot wound to his wrist.

Bradford said he decided to shoot the 3-month-old shepherd-mix dogs in the head because he couldn't find them a home, according to the sheriff's office.

Why could this guy not have just took the dogs to a pound?

Bet he wishes he had now lol and good to see he faced charges as well...

I hope this guy is hurting

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Some are just plain stupid. They just are, there is nothing you can do about it. It going to be whats it going to be. Some humans get rid of thier own babies by killing them,so what can you do?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:24 AM
link   
True cobra but this kind of story getting on the news and getting on a site surly makes people more aware what�s going on out there,

Theirs people who seem to be blind to the real horrors that go on around them.

So maybe ...just maybe one little story will make one more person wake up/open their eyes.... And who knows take action to help Animals/children

LL1

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Too bad it didn't hit his more tender parts...
How cruel, and he could have just dropped them off at an animal
shelter.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:27 AM
link   
The dog should have shot him in the goodie basket. Population control.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
I know that I will be flamed for this post but that is ok. I simply must point out the hypocrisy rife in this article. The man goes out and painlessly shoots an unwanted animal in the head after trying to find homes for them but failing. He bungles the job and gets shot himself. He is then charged with felony cruelty to animals. If the puppies had been at the local pound and had been unadopted for a set period (different municipalities have different lengths of time) they would have been "put to sleep". That is simply a nice term for gassed in a similar manner to the jews at Auswitz. Whether painlessly with a bullet in the brain or painlessly with a sterile gas chamber the result for the animal is the same.

Why is it then that this man is so evil and terrible for doing what would have been done anyway. He was not torturing the animals or trying to inflict pain on them. He was simply saving the municipality some time and money and disposing of them himself. Or are dogs some kind of protected class? People shoot deer and other game by the millions every year. Many of the shots are not fatal and cause far more suffering than a bullet to the head. Are they charged with felony cruelty to animals. NO of course not because they are hunting and this makes it OK.

This poor guy is simply the recipient of a knee jerk response to an emotionally spun news story. It is amazing to me the lynch mob mentality of posters to this thread. Come on the man had an accident and probably has permanent damage to one wrist. It may affect his employment. He has been Demonized in the media and will most likely get all kinds of hate mail and the like. All because he was going to do what would likely have been done anyway if he had taken the puppies to the pound.

Had he driven them out into the wild somewhere and just let them go, condemning them to a slow death by starvation and dehydration he would have been slapped with a ticket at best, and then only if he was caught. But because he tried to take care of the problem painlessly and humanely he is a felon??!!??!! Give me a break.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johannmon
If the puppies had been at the local pound and had been unadopted for a set period (different municipalities have different lengths of time) they would have been "put to sleep".

There was a jurisdiction here in NM that euthanized unwanted animals by dispatching them with a round from a Ruger .22 cal. Single Six to the head, until the bleeding hearts found out. The animal control people said they accomplished the same thing with a $.01 round that could be accomplished with a shot that would cost much more. They agreed to change the policy.

However, I would like to note that most revolvers have a double-action trigger pull of about ten pounds or more. This is why revolvers don't require a safety and no dog's paw could could exert that much pressure given that there is only about enough space within the trigger guard to place an gloved finger. The single action trigger pull, that is, when the firearm is cocked, is much lighter and probably was somewhere between three to five pounds. If the trigger was slicked up by a gunsmith, it might have been lighter. A dogs paw might have been able to jar the gun enough to trip the hammer.

It should be noted that most modern double action revolvers and very many single action revolvers have a built in passive safety mechanism, such as a transfer bar or an inertial firing pin that requires that the trigger be pulled all the way to the rear in order for the firing pin to contact the primer of the round. So, it might have been that the man's finger was on the trigger of a cocked revolver and the dog's paw caused him to depress the trigger and discharge the firearm.

Of course, I have seen journalists refer to a Glock 17 and semi-automatic pistols as service revolvers, so there really is no telling what kind of firearm it was. At any rate, the man seems to have been injured by his own stupidity, because no one in his right mind would have been carring dogs with a cocked firearm in his hand.

Canine Shootist

[edit on 04/9/9 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   

At any rate, the man seems to have been injured by his own stupidity, because no one in his right mind would have been carring dogs with a cocked firearm in his hand.

Excellent point! Of course, this had to happen here in Florida...

Or are dogs some kind of protected class

As for the charges...there are plenty of shelters that take in such pups... Yes, dogs and cats are a separate matter when it comes to classification in regards to animal cruelty. There is no "dog hunting license" for example. So yes, the distinctions are there....

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I was on board with taking strays a shelter until I had a stray dog staying in our yard. This is a true story. I call the local humane society and tell them we have a stray dog at my house that I need to drop off - great dog, really friendly and I even cleaned him up. The lady at the human society tells me quote: "We don't take stray animals." Now, I thought that I must have heard her wrong because I thought that�s exactly what the humane society did was take in stray animals. The lady tells me they have too many animals and haven�t taken strays in years. But she does give me a list of five other places to call. I call all five places and get the same response � �We have too many animals and there is currently no room for another dog.� So, I�m like what the hell I�m stuck with this stray dog that I cannot take care of but lucky for me I finally found someone that wanted that type of dog and he took it. Long story short don�t count on your local animal shelters to take unwanted animals. The humane society told me my last restore was to call the dog catchers and have them take the dog to the pound � and we all know what will happen at the pound in a few days when no one claims the animal.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:16 PM
link   
No hypocrisy in it at all. The man's resources for finding them a home is limited compared to the shelter's resources. Therefor when he failed to find them owners, he should have taken them to the shelter to give them a better chance of finding homes.

I am interested in how he ended up with puppies. Maybe a trip to the vet to get his pet fixed would have prevented this whole unfortunate situation.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Canine Shootist

I loved the comment from "Frani" on that page.
"My dog woke me up since he heard it on the news!"...

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I got a chuckle out of this story. I was thinking news headline "Vigilante puppy takes justice into his own Paws"

This puppy could develop a bad reputation in the dog kingdom as the fastest paw in the west. Don't mess with this canine.

On a side note I thought the owner should have dropped the puppies off at the animal shelter. I thought I heard that puppies have the best chance of finding new owners.

Anyway that sounds like one smart puppy.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Too bad the pup didn't have better aim and made it a fatal shot. I'm sorry but I have no respect for people who hurt animals, let alone kill them needlessly, especially ones that can't defend themselves. Reminds me of the story a while back about the moron who was beating his dog with a loaded gun and ended up shooting himself, its cosmic justice at its absolute finest!

[edit on 9-9-2004 by alternateheaven]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Guns don't shoot people; dogs shoot people.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Guns don't shoot people; dogs shoot people.

Now the anti-gun lobbyists are gonna try to take my dogs guns!

They can have it when they pry it from his cold dead paw!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:32 PM
link   
In my opinion the dog missed, but not a bad shot for a puppy.

The man supposedly tried to give the pups up for adoption, how sweet! A simple operation had he really been interested in the animal's welfare, would have curtailed pregnancy.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join