It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. urges dialogue as Iraq sinks deeper into crisis

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Vice President Joe Biden spoke by telephone on Sunday with Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki about violence in Baghdad and a political crisis that has erupted in the week since the last American troops left Iraq.

U.S. officials, diplomats and Iraqi politicians have been in a flurry of talks to calm a crisis that threatens to push Iraq back in the kind of sectarian strife that took the OPEC oil producer to the edge of civil war only a few years ago.

Well that didnt take long. Its been about a week since the last US troops left, and Iraq is already going nuts.

Just a week after the last U.S. troops left, the upheaval risks scuppering an uneasy power-sharing government that splits posts among the Shi'ite National Alliance coalition, the mostly Sunni-backed Iraqiya bloc and Kurdish political movement.

There's an arrest warrant for the VP, plus the VP is saying that the PM is responsible for the recent bombings that killed over 70 people. I was watching CNN the other day, and they were talking about how this political crisis could spark another civil war. Hopefully the crisis dosent get worse.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

The U.S. did not even completely leave, they left a couple thousand soldiers to "protect" the embassy. Iraq is going into ruins day by day and the world just watches them crumble down.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Hilarious

After it was quickly proved Iraq had no hand in 911.

After there were no WMD found. And staying 6 years from that.

After killing as many as 1,000,000 !

Now they want to talk!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Sounds to me like those Iraqi's sure are enjoying all the democracy we brought them.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
It's all according to plan, let us see if Iranian insurgency fills the power vacuum after withdraw.
This will help build the case to bomb them back into the bronze age.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
"The biggest single winner in all this is neighbouring Iran. The overthrow of Saddam brought an end to the dominance of Iraq by a Sunni minority. Democracy has given voice to the Shia majority who feel a natural affinity to Shia Iran, creating a greater bulwark against US influence in the region. Iran is operating behind the scenes to bolster Mr Maliki with Iranian-backed militias, who are already a powerful force in Iraq."

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Deetermined

Sounds to me like Iran wants some democracy

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Joe to Nuri "hey Nuri, ya'll need more guns over there?"

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
*snip*

I predict the same thing will happen in Libya.

Mod Edit: removed quoted post due to T and C
edit on 25-12-2011 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
the Iraqi leadership was groomed to be subordin8ate puppets to the US masters...
so any forceful control of the masses is a pie-in-the-sky dream...

Saddam found that out when he accepted the WMDs from the USA MIC to hopefully stem the aggressiveness of Syria & Lebanon and to possibly negotiate with Palestine/Hamas/etc... but we know how that daggar was thrust into his (Saddam Hussein) back -> so why would Malarky follow that example? or else any one of the rest of the hand picked 'puppets' in the Iraqi government

Dialogue indeed--- the USA has instituted the military crackdown on civilians here in this essentially peaceful Nation.. I reckon the 'dialogue' the USA reasons is appropriate is the disguised Martial Law here in the USA as a 'model' for Iraq to follow...

i fear for the expression of thought i am presenting.. as these may well be the words of what will be deemed a terrorist... here in the now 'Constitution Free' USA, yay! we no longer have to be burdened with trials, proof, juries,...
so what will we now do with the thousands of Judges collecting their paychecks?
sitting fat & happy on the public expense account, when military tribunals are the new order-of-the-day ?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
What's the opposite of the Midas touch?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

It's all according to plan, let us see if Iranian insurgency fills the power vacuum after withdraw.
This will help build the case to bomb them back into the bronze age.

I think its very likely the West is watching for the above. If Iran starts playing a hand in Iraq now, I also think they will use that as another case to justify aggression against Iran.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The solution to the Iraqi crisis now lays within the hands of the Iraqi people.

It is no longer in the hands of other powers that had tried.

Only the free Iraqi people can decide for themselves what they want now - chaos, terororism, subjugation, religious strife, or peace.

Alone, one man is insignificant. But when combined as a nation, they are a majority which there are not enough bombs,bullets or jails to kill all. They are now fully responsible for the direction that their society is to be and live with the consequences, for themselves and their future generations.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
well no #! what do these morons think would happen when the netural stablizing US forces left? The politicians must be morons for thinking that 10 years will erase thousands of years of religous war among Islamic sects would end.... LMAO

Saddam ruled with an iron for a reason... Here what I expect to unfold in Iraq..

Sunnis and #es will battle for the country as Iran and the House of Saud funnel men and money into the religous battle ....... kick starting WWIII as western imperalist powers try to co-op the war and the bankers fund both sides for oil and gold.

I ran wins Iraq but will lose the war... the only question is whether this will divid Islam or unite it as a religion

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
LOL

America's new policy of GITMO (Get Mohammed) is working wonderfully. I am truly enjoying the spectacle of Islamic nation after Islamic nation collapsing back into jihad violence and sharia-inspired insanity.

Meanwhile, we will just go on about our business of extracting the wealth and resources while Iraqis go on about killing each other like savages mired in the 7th Century.

All Iraqis need do to change course is simply look West, towards the Light of Greece. Turn away from Mecca.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Every negative thing happening in Iraq right now is going to be top news. The reason for this is simple, if the U.S. citizens see so much death and destruction going on they will associate it with 'its all because we left.' Throughout the entire 'war' over there suicide attacks, car bombs, and everything else you can imagine was still happening. The people need to be convinced somehow that we were making a difference there, which is why Iraq news is what it is today.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SGTSECRET
Every negative thing happening in Iraq right now is going to be top news. The reason for this is simple, if the U.S. citizens see so much death and destruction going on they will associate it with 'its all because we left.' Throughout the entire 'war' over there suicide attacks, car bombs, and everything else you can imagine was still happening. The people need to be convinced somehow that we were making a difference there, which is why Iraq news is what it is today.

Facts will be facts, regardless if US troops are still there or not.

Realities cannot be avoided, no matter how one tries to sanitizes it. Some are only out right now for the power play, with wanton disregard to precious human lives, misusing religion YET again as the cause. It must end, and only the Iraqi people alone can put an end to it.

May they succeed.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Just the usual sectarian back and forth Iraq is known for. That is an issue that never got resolved, and has always continued to fester even after the sectarian war in 2006-2007. Contrary to popular belief, even before the US started packing the violence remained steady with kidnappings, bombings, and assassinations. Maybe not at the levels when Iraq was flooded with 170,000 troops, but the problem continued to linger. What we have with Iraq, is a nation that is a melting pot with people holding deep-seeded animosity toward others who are armed to the teeth. What is bringing this issue to a head is a feud between two high level politicians. On one side is Nuri Al-Maliki, the Shiite Prime Minister, and Tareq al-Hashemi, the Sunni Vice President.

Iraq Sunni leader says charges could reignite sectarian war

Iraq's Sunni Vice President Tareq al-Hashemi, wanted on charges he led death squads, called the case a plot to destroy opponents of Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki that could reignite the sectarian slaughter of 2006-07.

They waited until the last remaining US troops left, and almost immediately started their destabilizing efforts. This is just between the politicians and we also have to keep in mind the insurgent elements still operating in Iraq as well. I having a feeling the situation will continue to escalate as the days go by. Still, Iraq made their decision. I wish them the best of luck. Most of those familiar with the situation, knew quite well that what we saw before the US withdrew and the dip in violence was a calm before the storm. What will happen if this situation becomes unmanageable by the politicians and the Iraqi government? I see some groveling for renewed support from the US. However, all aid and support should be denied, and especially in a military aspect. They were given repeated calls to renew their security partnership with the US and they choose to follow through with the Status of Forces agreement put together by the Bush Administration in 2008.

Agreement
Between the United States of America and the Republic of Iraq
On the Withdrawal of United States Forces from Iraq and the Organization of
Their Activities during Their Temporary Presence in Iraq

They made their bed, and now it is the time to sleep in it. Maybe one of their neighbors can bring the situation under control? As I see it, the politicians were too concerned with their own power moves than to realistically take into account the dangerous atmosphere in their country and the welfare of their people. That is entirely my opinion though. I see dark days ahead for Iraq...
edit on 26-12-2011 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Maybe Iran should have some real democracy as opposed to the plastic government set up by the US and collation forces..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join