It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Demons in Possessed People Bend Their Knee at the Name of Jesus

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm not religious at all personally, but these topics always sadden and perplex me because of the overt hostility. (And no, I do not mean simply expressing dissenting views and opinions in a respectful manner, which is of course everyone's prerogative and fully understandable. I mean overt hostility toward religion and the religious.)

I can understand being frustrated with what you feel are religion-derived dogmas and political justifications for bloodshed and the like. I can understand being frustrated by what you feel are interjections by religious groups proselytizing to you on an unsolicited (and often unwelcome) basis. But where does the overt hostility toward people simply choosing to be religious come from? The choice to be religious is their right. It is a right protected under law. As is your right to say whatever you please (within the TOS of ATS in this case of course,) and I know a lot of religious people can be just as hostile, but it's still a valid question.

One of the points that inevitably seems to come up in such arguments is the, "It's all made up, there's no afterlife, and when we die our brains turn off and we're dead" point. Now, I'm an agnostic skeptic so to me, that's a valid point and a valid hypothesis to be sure. But lets take that to its logical extreme for the sake of discussion.

Hypothetically speaking, suppose that's all we are and all there is to our existence. There is no creator. There is no afterlife. There is no soul. We are sophisticated animals. There is only our neurology, the electrochemical interactions and responses thereof, and the illusion of self-determination and "self" brought about therein.

But you can't stop there. If that's all true, it also means that our social structures, ethical boundaries and standards, personalities, our very selves, are all just behaviors - consequences of our biology, environment, perceptions, and experiences. They are not innate or "real." They are not sacred or special. The very concept of speciality and sacredness are our own creation, and are delusions. The love you feel for your family and friends are just chemical interactions in your brain. So are pleasure, pain, sadness, despair, and all the other emotions you've ever experienced in your life. They "exist" physically, but your subjective experience of them and their "meaning" are just that: subjective. They aren't what they seem to be, and the importance and sacredness we place upon them are illusory. Your most formative and cherished experiences are nothing but complex physiological mechanisms at work, and are not the subjective reality you experience them as.

In short, nothing matters in the way we would like to think it does, and it's quite possible that nothing matters at all, whatsoever.

Which brings us to what I consider an absolutely valid question: Why do you care what other people believe, if all of that is true, or even potentially true? You may find yourself preparing to answer by saying, "Because I want my children to live in a better world, and I feel that religion precludes that." But again, why do you care? The love you feel for your children is nothing more than a biological imperative derived from neurochemistry and cognitive bonding processes. What's that you say? You still "feel love" for them anyway? And despite knowing that might be illusory or futile in the objective reality, you still choose to act upon it so that even when you're gone, your actions will somehow carry on and have some influence on your children's future? Or maybe you're about to answer with, "But there's no proof that what they believe in exists whatsoever." Okay, but again... what do you care? Your sense of self, their beliefs, and everything else are illusory and nothing matters. What? You feel the world will be better off and choose to adhere to the notion that that matters anyway?

Well, will you look at that? Those sound an awful lot like choices to believe in something to me. Could it be that maybe, just maybe, people need beliefs - however illusory they may be (and probably are because frankly, we can't all be right... or can we?) - in order to maintain their peace of mind and the integrity of their sense of self as human beings? Or that perhaps we "fall into" beliefs despite our attempts at objectivity because that's just what human beings do? And if so, perhaps people can consider not being hostile to people who simply have different beliefs than their own. Because, at least potentially, it seems we all have them to some extent or another.

I hope no one takes this as an attack or an attempt to invalidate anyone's beliefs or opinions. I fully respect and understand everyone's point of view in this topic, and I am 100% tolerant of them all. This is just a thought that occurs to me sometimes when reading the back and forths that arise from such discussions (seemingly inevitably.)

Just my two cents. Just a thought
edit on 12/26/2011 by AceWombat04 because: Typo

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady

When I speak the words “so that all beings in the heavens, on earth, and in the underworld should bend the knee at the name of Jesus,”

Why would a powerful demon be forced to bend its knee when the average Joe has the power to laugh and walk away?

It's because they know who He really is. He's the Lord.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hydroman

Does anyone have a video of a demon possessed person who is speaking in a known language that isn't their own?

Google video or utube it man

Im sure you'll find plenty

edit on 26-12-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Oh Superman, you laughed at that typo? Grow up man. Get back to your books so can get that "A" on the quiz tomorrow. Then come back and check how your UFO's are coming along!

UFO's aren't real! Na na na naa naa na, ha ha haa ha ha.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

from what i understand bending your knee means submitting to

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
This is wonderful! I am kneeling at the reading of these words this very moment!

It's wonderful that this man can use the name of Jesus, but not everyone can. One must have faith in His name. Take the account from Acts 19; some Jewish exorcists attempted to drive out a demon from a man in the name of Jesus, but failed. Instead, the man (or the demon who was possessing him) overpowered them and beat them up.

Jesus' name is the Key to Heaven, it can heal the sick and cast out evil, but it can also get you in trouble. If you don't know how to use it, that is. It's all about the faith.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by AceWombat04

Thank you for the post. When I started this thread I knew the controversial nature of it might set people off. I don't like fighting at all. Sacred cows (people's beliefs) are held tightly and no wants theirs to get attacked, but they have their machete ready for the other guy's.

As a Christian it makes me feel bad to see people bash Jesus. As a person it makes me feel bad when anyone posts their thoughts and take heat for it even if it their thoughts are totally opposite of mine. Jesus said: "Love one another as I have loved you." He loves us all, even the ones that spew hate for him - so I make an effort to love those who hate me here. That brings peace.

I appreciate everyone's post believe it or not. If it is lewd, I pray for you.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by stealthmonkey

I think that is pretty much it.
It is a sign of respect, too.
edit on 12/26/2011 by sad_eyed_lady because: add info

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
now i see the light do not give in to temptation do not submit do not bend your knee do not lay down like a dog to anyone or anything you have your own mind and you live in your own world do not let anyone infiltrate it you make your own world be careful of who you let enter it be it demons or or people that cause you harm

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stealthmonkey
now i see the light do not give in to temptation do not submit do not bend your knee do not lay down like a dog to anyone or anything you have your own mind and you live in your own world do not let anyone infiltrate it you make your own world be careful of who you let enter it be it demons or or people that cause you harm

If God told me to "jump" I'd ask "How High?' In other words, it is my desire to do His will as best as I know it.
God is not just anyone. He is the Creator of All. I use my mind to believe, adore, love and hope in Him and I ask pardon for those who do not, believe, adore, love and hope in Him.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   

but you cannot talk to god you have to go through jesus correct? therefore god cannot tell you to jump
if you are talking of the same god that is in the bible
edit on 26-12-2011 by stealthmonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

but you cannot talk to god you have to go through jesus correct? therefore god cannot tell you to jump

Christians believe this.

It is called The Apostles Creed

1. I believe in God the Father, Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth:

2. And in Jesus Christ, his only begotten Son, our Lord:

3. Who was conceived by the Holy Ghost, born of the Virgin Mary:

4. Suffered under Pontius Pilate; was crucified, dead and buried: He descended into hell:

5. The third day he rose again from the dead:

6. He ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty:

7. From thence he shall come to judge the quick and the dead:

8. I believe in the Holy Ghost:

9. I believe in the holy catholic (universal) church: the communion of saints:

10. The forgiveness of sins:

1l. The resurrection of the body:

12. And the life everlasting. Amen.

Actually, I never heard God talk to me through my ears. What I meant is that I will do my best to obey God's word in the Bible and follow the teaching of Jesus Christ in the New Testament also called "The Good News" Jesus is referred to as "The Word" of God.

That "jump" thing was only meant as an example of my desire to do His will.

The concept of one God in 3 beings (Father, Son and Holy Ghost) might seem very strange if you never heard it before. It's called the Trinity. You can't separate them.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

no i know what it is i have been in church my whole life southern baptist to be exact untill a few years ago when i actually started reading the bible i was raised christian my whole faimly runs the church my sister is starting out in her music ministry maybe you have herd of her amber bourn aka bourn again she just signed a recording contract and is about to start singing on cruise lines but one question no one can answer is if the trinity is one entity why do you have to go through jesus to get to god if they are one in the same

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by KamiKazeKenji

if jesus name can heal the sick then why is the pastor of the church i grew up in dieing of cancer?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

fyi i know jump had no meaning i was simply using that to make a point from your point i unlike some people dont need or want explanations

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 02:59 AM
link   

no i know what it is i have been in church my whole life southern baptist to be exact untill a few years ago when i actually started reading the bible i was raised christian my whole faimly runs the church my sister is starting out in her music ministry maybe you have herd of her amber bourn aka bourn again she just signed a recording contract and is about to start singing on cruise lines but one question no one can answer is if the trinity is one entity why do you have to go through jesus to get to god if they are one in the same

You have to go through God the Son to approach God the Father. Jesus and His Father are NOT one in the same. That's the error you're making.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

reply to post by KamiKazeKenji

if jesus name can heal the sick then why is the pastor of the church i grew up in dieing of cancer?

"Can" doesn't mean "must".

Secondly, I'd consider heaven a pardon from this life and world, and not a bad thing. lmao

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

fyi i know jump had no meaning i was simply using that to make a point from your point i unlike some people dont need or want explanations

That's your problem right there. The greatest hindrance to learning the truth is to assume you already know it from the start.

edit on 27-12-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04

But where does the overt hostility toward people simply choosing to be religious come from?

It comes from Satan and his demons who don't want anyone here on earth to believe in the one true God.

One of the points that inevitably seems to come up in such arguments is the, "It's all made up, there's no afterlife, and when we die our brains turn off and we're dead" point. Now, I'm an agnostic skeptic so to me, that's a valid point and a valid hypothesis to be sure. But lets take that to its logical extreme for the sake of discussion.

Hypothetically speaking, suppose that's all we are and all there is to our existence. There is no creator. There is no afterlife. There is no soul. We are sophisticated animals. There is only our neurology, the electrochemical interactions and responses thereof, and the illusion of self-determination and "self" brought about therein.

But you can't stop there. If that's all true, it also means that our social structures, ethical boundaries and standards, personalities, our very selves, are all just behaviors - consequences of our biology, environment, perceptions, and experiences. They are not innate or "real." They are not sacred or special. The very concept of speciality and sacredness are our own creation, and are delusions. The love you feel for your family and friends are just chemical interactions in your brain. So are pleasure, pain, sadness, despair, and all the other emotions you've ever experienced in your life. They "exist" physically, but your subjective experience of them and their "meaning" are just that: subjective. They aren't what they seem to be, and the importance and sacredness we place upon them are illusory. Your most formative and cherished experiences are nothing but complex physiological mechanisms at work, and are not the subjective reality you experience them as.

Read your last paragraph here again and tell me, does that really seem logical to you? Based on our "sophisticated" ability to gain knowledge and understanding, to feel emotion, etc. do you really think it's all a temporary accident? The reason our brains are even capable of perceiving more is because there is more, otherwise we would be an animal and there wouldn't be a reason for our "sophisticated" ability.

In short, nothing matters in the way we would like to think it does, and it's quite possible that nothing matters at all, whatsoever.

Once again, I'm not seeing any logic there. If this were true, we wouldn't need the ability to reason or gather logic in the first place, except to survive, and what's the purpose of that if nothing matters? We were meant to question why we are here and what life's true purpose is. It's a learning lesson to prepare us for the afterlife. Actually, I think of it as a learning lesson to help us truly appreciate the afterlife. How could we appreciate a perfect existence if we hadn't experienced this one first?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 03:52 AM
link   

Jesus was sent to earth to intercede for humans. Once the Millennium is over here on earth, a new heaven and earth will be created and we will all live together with the Lord.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join