It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Good time travel movies?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Hi there does anyone know of good time travel movies.

Serious ones too, not comedies like back to the future as i cant stand that movie.

Ones ive watched are

groundhog day (comedy i guess but not a stupid one like back to the future)
the time traveller (both versions)
frequency
deja vu
time after time
philadelphia experiment
final countdown !

does anyone know of any other good time travel movies?

thanks!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by admiralmary

Somewhere in Time starring Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour.

edit on 25-12-2011 by boomadatigger because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2011 by boomadatigger because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by admiralmary

The original is always best, so try "The Time Machine" adapted from the novel by H.G. Wells.
Not a film, but if you want to read a good story on time travel then try "The Chronic Argonauts" also written bt H.G. Wells and was written before "The Time Machine"

www.colemanzone.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Oh yeh, the time machine is great. I love both of them the original and the newer one. Also The One with jet lee. Not a time travel movie but alternate universes. The time travelers wife is really cool. Another good one i enjoyed as a kid was Time Cop with Jean claude van damme

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Check out 'Paycheck' with Ben Affleck directed by John Woo. An amazing scifi film where a guy builds a device that can see into the future which is actually better than time travel if you ask me.

en.wikipedia.org...(film)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo
Check out 'Paycheck' with Ben Affleck directed by John Woo. An amazing scifi film where a guy builds a device that can see into the future which is actually better than time travel if you ask me.

en.wikipedia.org...(film)

nice
ill go check it out

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
there's a movie called Primer from 2004. it is very low budget. I've only seen it the once, but really want to see it again to get my head around it. I asked the same question about time travel movies and was pointed towards Primer by a good friend... you can find it on stagevu.com i believe....

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
also, it's not a time travel movie, but Memento is interesting in terms of the last thing that happens is shown first and it moves towards the beginning from there. have you seen it?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
I have several favorites, one already mentioned earlier in the thread "Somewhere In Time" never gets old. Here's a couple others that are oldies-but-goodies:

"Time After Time" Starring Malcolm McDowell & Mary Steenburgen. A thriller about Jack the Ripper escaping to the 1970's in H.G. Well's actual time machine.

"Timerider" Starring Remo Williams as a long-distance dirt bike racer who accidentally lands himself in the 1870's wild west.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Mary, I am doing this under duress......Your topic intrigued me, but your comment about Back to the future turned me off.....Sorry, really, I am sorry, but BOF is so much a better movie than Groundhog day, now I love them both....But bill murray is such a nut, it is impossible to take it seriously, fun watch though. However, all that was being said from a 70's kid, grew up loving back to the future and such....so it is just my experiences, as I am sure yours differ.

First lets start:

If you can suffer British (I love it, but my wife can't) Dr Who is always a good go to

Time Bandits, a bit cheeky, but a great story.

Millennium is an interesting story worth the watch.

12 Monkeys with bruce willis is a bit of a bizarre flick, more jacobs ladder than time travel but also worth a watch

Donnie Darko, watch it once, and that is it

The Butterfly Effect.........wow, has a real 'what will you change' feel.

The Sound of Thunder is a really good one, feels like a SciFi production and maybe but good watch.

Edit-Oh crap, and this is an obvious one, but Terminator, and don't forget the Philadelphia Experiment, Freejack was pretty cool as well. One was just release, Premonition, I didn't care for it too much, but my wife loved it.

edit on 25-12-2011 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2011 by pointr97 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Timescape (1992)
Before they can complete renovations on their new inn, Widower (Ben Wilson) and daughter (Hillary) are visited by a woman seeking immediate lodging for her strange group of travellers. Why they won't stay at the hotel in town is just the first of many mysteries surrounding the group that lead Wilson to a startling discovery affecting his family and neighbours ....

+1 on Donnie darko there is two versions.. director cut, or original..
i like the Original.. ;/
edit on 25-12-2011 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-12-2011 by Fisherr because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Yeah, Donnie Darko is one of those movies that drags you in kicking and screaming, but you just can't stop......The end will send you spinning.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by pointr97

I much prefer the Dr Who episodes from the 1970's Here is one of my faves:-

www.dailymotion.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well tv, im not quite sure how this happened to me, somehow , by accident, and totally out of my control, I have become kinda hooked on Quantum Leap.....shhh tell no one.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
It's sort of a weird love story comedy, but Happy Accidents is a great movie. You have to definitely have to be open to quirky movies though. If you're all about transformers or iron man, then you can forget it.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
thanks for all the replies
dam i cant believe i forgot to put biggles
thats my favourite of them all

ps i watched timerider last night and it just wasnt for me
im not into motor bikes lol

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobLoblaw84
also, it's not a time travel movie, but Memento is interesting in terms of the last thing that happens is shown first and it moves towards the beginning from there. have you seen it?

I haven't but since Chris Nolan is a genius so no doubt it's awesome.

Always loved Timecop.

Terminator series?

Back To The Future is a classic, no clue how you can hate it. Now if you said the 3rd movie then yeah, that one sucked.

No one said 12 Monkeys yet? That's awesome.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
Well tv, im not quite sure how this happened to me, somehow , by accident, and totally out of my control, I have become kinda hooked on Quantum Leap.....shhh tell no one.

Used to love Quantam Leap when I was a kid.

The JFK episodes were great where he leaped into Lee Harvey Oswald's body in episode one and had to shoot Kennedy to preserve the timeline even though he was conflicted and wanted to change history by not firing the rifle then I think he leaped into the body of a secret service agent or something after.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by pointr97
Yeah, Donnie Darko is one of those movies that drags you in kicking and screaming, but you just can't stop......The end will send you spinning.

Donnie Darko.....

That movie confuses me and I hated it.

posted on Jan, 7 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7

Originally posted by pointr97

Donnie Darko.....

That movie confuses me and I hated it.

Watched that one a few times till it finally clicked.

Everything after the plane engine crashing into the house was a bubble in time. with a temporal paradox thrown in.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join