It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you could live forever....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Merry Holidays

A family member , that is 18 years old, just asked a profound question:

If you could ,would you chose to live forever?

Personally "No" I would not chose to....I'd like to live to a ripe old age...But live forever NO...What if there is something wonderful waiting for us on the other side....

I don't know I just thought it was a good question to post on here...there is no wrong or right answer...

Would you like to live FOREVER?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I couldn't make that decision unless I knew what awaited us on death.

If we just decay and rot, then I would at least like a very extended lifespan. It would be especially appealing if my friends and family could also enjoy extended life with me.

Of course, the Universe will eventually die. So unless it's possible to move to another universe, living forever after trillions and trillions of years might turn out really boring with nothing to explore.

If we re-incarnate, or have some kind of Heaven we go to, I'd be happy with just living a few hundred years. But 80 years seems really short to me. Being halfway done with life at 40 doesn't seem right as 40 is still quite youthful.

By the way, by extended life I'm assuming you mean extended youth as well. So like, if I lived to 300, I wouldn't appear old ever, or at least not until I was like say, 260 years old.
edit on 25-12-2011 by lampsalot because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

If you could live forever ...

HELL NO! That would be horrid. I have chronic illness which is systemic, progressive, and incurable. There is NO WAY I'd want to live forever with this. I am very glad that there is an expiration date on these bodies of ours. I'm looking forward to being FREE!!!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by zbeliever

I wonder about this often, too.

Life is short for a reason I think, since our bodies are prone to so many diseases and such.

Build me a body that can last forever, otherwise I would not wish to remain in it.

Living forever could be sad and lonely, unless you were along for the ride with somebody else.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Wow , I'm so glad I asked this on here...

As I said the family member is 18 yrs. old and at that age you want to live forever...I know I did at that age...

Now at 43 yrs old, and wiser , I feel living eternally in this dimension is not what the grand design has in store for us...

Yes, I am unsure there is a after life...but I think there must be or we would never have the ability to question our existence....

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I don't really need evidence of the after life to answer that question. There is enough Hell created in my mind for me to not lose sleep over dying haha. Bring on the after life please!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   

If you mean live forever in the same body I don't see why not. If we could live forever that would mean pretty much all illnesses were wiped out..maybe only die from accidents. Someone said after a billion years it would get boring with nothing new to explore. Well I would imagine that there would still be births--at least some anyways-- so that there would be new people/animals to interact with. We might also see things evolve before our very eyes in this forever. New plant, tree, animal species that are unknown today. There would be new things to learn and study. Forever doesn't mean the world would suddenly become unchanging.

To me death is rather primitive. It smacks of throwaway society on a grander scale. I like who I am. And while after death I may retain something from this life, it won't be the same "me." All memories I have right now might not be available in another existence (especially if you think in terms of reincarnation--which in my mind is the ultimate throwaway). I'd rather keep me. I'll miss this old girl when I'm done.

This question makes me think of people who say "I'm soooo bored at home. I would go crazy if I wasn't working." It depends who you are. If you get bored easily or give up easily then the idea of dying and going someplace else would be attractive. If you don't get bored easily and I don't then its not so fascinating to trade it all in. Also I'd rather fix the problems I got then get new ones (thinking if there is continuance in other lives or on other planets or any kind of afterlife).
edit on 25-12-2011 by LunaKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by zbeliever

Would you like to live FOREVER?

Live forever, me? If given the choice to live upon a different planet, perhaps I would.

...a planet far away from the MADNESS of this one which seems to get worst everyday...

edit on 25-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I would choose to live forever. im sure eventually we will advance enough to learn how to end the life of someone who chosen to live forever, just incase you came to the conclusion that it was a bad idea.

I dont know whether there is an afterlife and I wouldnt gamble finding out if I didnt have too. I know for sure that the one thing our species will advance at is destruction and maybe eons from now we will have a weapon to kill the unkillabile. If not I would just float around space saying my ooh and aah's

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I wouldn't want to live forever, at least not in this physical body. However, if say the story of the bible were true and humans before sin were made to be perfect and never die I might consider it. Imagine never getting sick or old and having a body that never wore out? That might be enough for me to want to live forever, but then again with all the corruption and greed running rampant in our world today I don't think I could stand being around that long.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I think about this question a lot, and they may actually find the key to living forever very soon! Check out this article on MSNBC from about a week and a half ago:

Scientists Say They're Close to Unlocking the Secrets of Immortality

As for my answer, YES, I would very much like the opportunity to live forever or at least until I came to a point where I no longer had dreams to fulfill, subjects I wanted to learn about, skills I wanted to acquire, people I wanted to meet, places I wanted to go, sights I wanted to see, or goals I wanted to achieve. I would not want to be indestructible or unable to die, but would want the choice to do so, if and when I chose. I suppose it's possible the day might come when I would have exhausted my list of possibilities, but the list I have now would probably keep me busy for hundreds of years! And I have found that almost every time I learn something new, I wind up finding yet another thing I want to learn about along the way! So I kind of doubt I would ever get bored or run out of things I wanted to do.

Even the notion of living indefinitely is fascinating in and of itself! Just think about how it would impact society if people were living much longer. There would be many changes, both good and bad. What would we do about the world population if people stayed alive for hundreds or thousands of years? Would it get even more crowded and overpopulated than it already is now? What would happen to our sense of family and friends? How would it affect our communities? Imagine the achievements and advances in science, theory and other research based disciplines! Imagine getting to witness long historical timelines! Yep, I would choose to live forever (with the ability to choose to die when I wanted to) in a heartbeat.

edit on 26-12-2011 by dalloway because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-12-2011 by dalloway because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Imagine after humanity went extinct.

Imagine after our sun gave out.

Stuck on a barren lifeless rock in near-total darkness.

And still having forever to go.

I would not choose to individually live forever.

However, If I could control my own mortality and choose death when I was ready for it, even if that time came after when I usually would have died, I'd take the deal. But never being able to die, would be a curse. Even if the first million years didn't seem so, it inevitably would become one.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I don't want to live forever but I hope I come back. Here.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by LunaKat

Your answer was well thought-out...I will answer your question: I never get bored....I just worry if I live for ever here I may miss something in the here after...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
I am enjoying reading both sides

edit on 26-12-2011 by zbeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by zbeliever
reply to post by LunaKat

Your answer was well thought-out...I will answer your question: I never get bored....I just worry if I live for ever here I may miss something in the here after...

Thanks
Yeah what would be really cool is if the two realities merged --I don't mean in an ascension sort of way. But more like a bleed through between the worlds. I would love a reality where round the clock without any special effort (no meditation, no astral travel, no anything special) our loved ones that are in spirit were able to walk back and forth between the worlds and us have that ability too. A real merging.

Even if we lived forever here people would still write books, make movies, watch children play, fall in love, don't think being physically immortal would ever mean things would just freeze as they are for all time. We'd still be creative. But like someone said before it would be nice to also have the option not to live forever if down the road we wanted to opt out.

I think we will see people living longer and longer. When I was growing up no one really lived to 100 and now its pretty common. I can see that its not a big stretch for that to become 150 or 200. Scientists get closer with that all the time.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
The way I see it, I do live forever.

I believe my soul is infinite and eternal. I always have, do, and will live.

Sure, maybe I'll switch bodies now and again or spend time floating through the cosmos unfettered at other times, but I'll still be the soul I am.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
"Would you like to live FOREVER?" Sure! As long as my memories remain FULLY intact and I get a new body to boot!

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Hmm interesting question.Since i am single i would say yes as long as i get to keep my body at its current age and for it to stay healthy(no dieases, cancer,etc).There are pros and cons to this.Some of the pros is that you get to see the human race continue to evolve and hopefully make it to the stars.For me that would be the real prize being able to set foot on alein worlds and not having to worry about aging.The down side is relationships.The ones you loved would grow old and die and you wouldn't.Kind of reminds me of the highlander movies and series.Now if they had away to make you unimortal that could be another pro so when you had enough you could just end it.Also does imortality means nit againg and stay healthy or no way to die ever?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ottobot

I meant in is form that you are in today....I guess I should have been specific....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Forever? No. But a little more time would be enough. Just a little tiny bit more years to figure this all out. I'd hate to die at 80-100 of something like heart failure. I think If anything I would love to be an angel (I'm an atheist btw). I would love to have the ability to pass from the afterlife into the physical world with ease and enjoy the things in the physical world...but I aslo want to know what the afterlife would be like. So life pretty much isn't enough.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join