It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to stop receiving unwanted presents (My Christmas wish)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Having gotten up in years well in to middle age (think 50-ish) I have pretty much everything I need or want. Every year it seems I end up getting yet another toaster or tie that I don't need or something that I find to be completely useless. The commercialization of Christmas and the socially-ordained mantra of Shop, Shop, Shop have drained the real meaning and joy from the season for me. Hoping to head off yet another round of unwanted and un-needed gifts I informed family and friends that instead of buying a present for me that I would greatly prefer that they make a donation to their local food bank. I'm very pleased to report that this year I only received one gift (that I love!) and everyone else did as I asked. That's almost $200 that went to help feeding families who have fallen on hard times. Not only am I tickled with the results but everyone who made a donation felt better for it than if they had gone out shopping for me.
I wondered if some of you might not be in the same boat as myself and be truly blessed without having any pressing needs. This is a great way to really celebrate the spirit of the season and do something positive so I would venture to suggest that you try something similar for your favorite charity.
Being disabled I have little resources to make such donations myself so this makes me all the more happy to be able to help others somehow.
No more useless gifts for me, please!

Merry Christmas to all my fellow ATSer's!
Thank you for being the wonderful community that you are and for your friendship and sharing with me as you have.
My heartfelt wishes to you all for a happy and healthy new year.

Asktheanimals

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Great idea! When I read your title, I was thinking along the lines, of, "I could donate my gifts to charity", but this is better, because the hungry can't eat ties and toasters.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Like you I found it an auto-suggestive title too but was expecting "This year I gave them a list of the things I wanted".

Good idea OP and I'm sure they are grateful for it. I only got one present (from my step-Mum in the UK) and it was 4 individual size Xmas puddings and some chocolate. Being a pauper I don't buy chocolate so it was a nice surprise.

Have a good one all!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Good for you. Like you, I have informed family and friends that I do not want, nor need anything other than their thoughts (and the occasional phone call) quite awhile ago. I have always prefered to give rather than receive and have asked them to do the same.

On a lighter note, I received a letter from the IRS yesterday. This should be enlightening.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, etc, etc, and just generally....enjoy the time off folks!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I completely agree with you. I hate how Christmas these days has very little to do with Christ and everything to do with gifts. It's like nobody even celebrates for the right reasons anymore
I also hate receiving gifts, I appreciate the though but would rather just spend time with people and enjoy it. On the other hand I LOVE giving gifts for the holidays it's like i'll spend hundreds on everyone else but don't want t single dime spent on me.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Oh man! Sorry to hear about the IRS wanting something from you. I hope this won't dampen your holiday spirits Tdawg. I knew there would be many others here who feel the same as I about Christmas. Whether you are religious or not the spirit of giving runs strong here. That's what makes ATS work so well, were like Santa's workshop of information.

Merry Christmas to all!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Fine, you can send me back that Christmas care package I mailed you, and don't even think of leaving out the Lime green Mankini or pink massage slippers when you "return to sender"
edit on 25-12-2011 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
dp
edit on 25-12-2011 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

I used to look good in a mankini not so long ago Zazz, not so much anymore. But hey, it's the thought that counts.
I would NEVER refuse a gift from such a lovely oz lady as yourself. Darn it! you get to celebrate newyears eve nearly a day before we do!

Merry Christmas and Happy new years Zazz!
Come over here under the mistletoe......

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Happy Holidays to you too hun.
and a chrissy smooch for you.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

I'm not worried by any means. Well, maybe a little, kinda like when the police pull you over.

I'm actually looking forward to the experiance as I have never before gone through it.

I'm not rich by no means, and I would find it amusing if they find they owe me money. We'll see.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   

This is a wonderful suggestion but why assume people will not support those charities without your request?

I was watching a program today and a priest explained that Christmas was not about the presents at all but about the intention behind it and that the person who is giving you the gift whether you want or like it is expressing LOVE and CONCERN for you.

You are their loved one or at least they think enough of you to remember you with a gift or a card this Christmas season. You are loved.

This is what those awful gifts are supposed to represent. If you say give a gift to Charity you are being magnanimous and generous and wise but this Holiday is not about you. It is about Jesus and the giving spirit and love of others he tried to spread around, even to your enemies and strangers. I would neither direct nor deny them this gift of love for you.

new topics

top topics

join