It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

super mice and the move toward eternal youth!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
this is a remarkable story of a biochemists that produced a genetically altered mouse engineered to run 20 meters a minute without stopping for 5 hours while the "control" mouse gave up after 10 minutes - there incentive to bust their balls was the smell of female pheromones - geez, wonder how they come up with that one?

one researcher described the altered mice as metabolically similar to "lance armstrong biking up pyrenees - their energy comes from utilizing fatty acids - they don't eat or drink and yet they go at break neck speed to get to their female target! :w00t: - they are more active - live longer and produce like rabbits - popping out little mices like popcorn - very aggressive and hungry - half the weight as the control mouse -

These mice were genetically modified so that they produce up to 100 times higher concentrations of the PEPCK-C enzyme in their muscles than wild-type mice. The PEPCK-C enzyme is usually found primarily in the liver and kidneys. The increase of this enzyme in their muscles vastly improved the metabolism
news.bbc.co.uk...

moral of this story: don't f!ck with the genetic code - we got mice that are violent and sex maniacs and eat everything in the house

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I can just picture it now. Here's a possible scenario. A lab assistant in Cleveland, Ohio recently lost a family member has been drinking recently and showing up late for work frequently. They know they are about to be fired, so they decide to "get even" before they get fired. They take about 20 of those aggressive little guys and put them in a couple of those nice little black cages. They happen to know of an abandoned apartment building in town. They take their bundles of Christmas joy to the vacant apartment building and let them carry on the genetic trait to the world. Only a hypothetical possibility, but every time they change the way nature works it can have unexpected consequences.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
they have to be in tip top shape to deliver the nwo's new and genetically approved bubonic plague.

the mice during the middle ages were slow and lazy. only 70-100 million people died and it took years to spread.

these little f-ckers can infect millions in a matter of months or even weeks.

you won't even see them. they'll whisk by your house, drop their bubonic plague infected droppings and fleas in your house and run the 3 minute mile to the next neighbourhood.

edit on 25-12-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Interesting.

For all of you who have been paranoid about Genetic Engineering being used for "super soldier" programs... this would be it, right here.

I'll translate: the enzymes necessary to turn fatty acids into the sugars our body uses for energy are, usually, not present in the muscles or other areas. What these researchers managed to accomplish was to make it so that this enzyme is expressed in the cells used to form musculature. This enables the muscles to, quite literally, 'digest fat' and burn the resulting sugars.

I'll be honest, here - I'd be tempted to have this type of modification done to my kids (while it is still a zygote, I would imagine...). Why? Because my kids are going to be better than yours
(that is, after all, the point of reproduction and the careful mating selection humans go through).

Really, this is a similar take on what nature has already done in our own human history with the enzyme amylase. It was, once, only present in our pancreas (and secreted into the lower GI tract) - but a relatively recent mutation led to it being present in our salivary glands (and, thus, saliva). The mutation isn't a 'standard' mutation - but more like genetic code was copied to another section of the genome.

www.thetech.org...

scitizen.com...

As for my comment about human mating selection:

health.howstuffworks.com...

Basically - many of our body odors serve as a general description of our genetic makeup. There is research evidence to suggest human beings (at least) are able to detect certain genetic expressions via smell and compare them to their own genetic code; a process designed to spur diversity and/or eliminate problem genetics.

This factor is one that is overlooked in most modern theories of evolution... the idea that organisms have -already- begun a process of self-selection based on a completely separate set of criteria.

Anyway.... this is all stuff I find to be quite fascinating.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I would not risk to experiment on my kids. What if they end up being really stupid, the brain is using quite some energy - quite bad if this energy goes somewhere else lol.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
If you believe in evolution then humans altering animal DNA is no different than random mutations that may or may not occur in nature. Did it ever cross you mind that maybe nature created humans so we could better increase the rate of mutation on this planet and thus create greater variety in a shorter span of time?

I read the end of this story....i'll give you a spoiler...it all works out in the end.

relax a bit you wont make it out of life alive.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

By time you could have something like this done to your children, it would not really be an "experiment."

Further, these mice didn't come out being any more stupid than their counterparts. The difference is that they had a much greater endurance (because the circulatory system was no longer necessary to deliver metabolized fats to musculature). This would, at least in theory, increase caloric needs for those living an active lifestyle (as they would be able to endure strenuous activity for far longer periods) - but it really isn't a problem in the developed nations.

I, honestly, find the line hard to draw. If we have the technology when I have kids (and I can afford it via insurance or whatever) - I will look into having them screened for genetic problems.... but in my mind... drawing the line between "your daughter will have a high risk for poor eyesight unless we do something" and "your daughter will have half the endurance of people without this simple modification" - is difficult. To me, both represent an almost equal ethical responsibility as a parent....

I've heard it countless times: "If I could only have done something..." - and, in my mind - I look at that as "I can do something... and am therefor responsible for doing it."

Of course... I also wonder if there are people out there, already, who have this particular trait as it occurred naturally. A sort of "x-men" type of scenario (ableit, not as exciting as the cartoon... only twice the endurance of average people.... psh - not interested until they have laser eyes).

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Sweet, Now all they need to do and i want them to do is change my DNA to make this happen to me ;-P

Super-Soldiers anyone?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by musselwhite

well....Im not saying that this is what happened with the sons of the fallen......but I remember reading in a bunch of places here on ATS and the net....that the sons of the fallen that mixed with the daughters of man were insatiable in their hunger and thirst,,,,causing vast shortages of just about everything......(pre-deluvian times) they were cruel....(agressive) and had a sexual appetite that was borderline psychotic......just wondering if this is the world we really want....again.....sure they were like super men....giants and the such.....but.......

I like being mortal.....
makes everyday count that much more.....
makes being strong that much more useful......
makes being humble that much more important.....
edit on 25-12-2011 by newyorkee because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The question is if and where can I buy this as a supplement? This sounds like the ultimate weight loss drug.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Really interesting, It's almost scary. Think of all the possibilities.

Combine that with super strength and memory:

Neuroscientists Boost Memory in Mice Using Genetics and a New Memory-Enhancing Drug

Tweaking a Gene Makes Muscles Twice as Strong: New Avenue for Treating Muscle Degeneration in People Who Can't Exercise

One could experiment on oneself and possibly get the same results by ordering research chemicals on the internet. PKR and myostatin inhibitors are both available. The latter being expensive as hell. Although it wouldn't be a very smart thing to do since you never know what side effects might arise later in your life, or what you may pass down to your children.

Normal vs myostatin deficient mice:

edit on 25-12-2011 by strato because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

I am glad to find someone else who understands humans are of Nature and what we do is natural. Thank you. Even if we erradicate and destroy ourselves and turn the planet into something else then that is what nature intended. If we become gods because we gentically alter ourselves to be smarter, string and live forever, move into space and coungure the galaxy then that too is what nature intended. And for God believers (he created us in his image)...

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

ok, now we are getting somewhere - the following is something i believe connects with this:

3. What do we mean by Human Enhancement?
4. Case study 1 : Brain Chips (discussions on a paper by Richard Jones)
5. Case study 2 : Psycho-stimulants and Cognition Enhancement (Elfriede Walcher-Andris)
6. Case study 3 : Sports Enhancement (Andy Miah)
7. Case study 4 : Electrode Stimulation of the Brain (Francois Berger)
files.nanobio-raise.org...

just take a gander at this pdf file and tell me what you think - some of these can be permanent - are we working toward the terminator?

of mice or men! WHOOT!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
If you believe in evolution then humans altering animal DNA is no different than random mutations that may or may not occur in nature. Did it ever cross you mind that maybe nature created humans so we could better increase the rate of mutation on this planet and thus create greater variety in a shorter span of time?

I read the end of this story....i'll give you a spoiler...it all works out in the end.

relax a bit you wont make it out of life alive.

I hate rants like yours.
Evolution has no purpose.
Also, plenty of other humans have lived and died.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I just wanted to add this video since it seems that our F-ing with nature is already doing some bad things.....is it real?¿?

toxicjunction.com...

toxicjunction.com...
edit on 26-12-2011 by newyorkee because: (no reason given)

top topics

join