It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stratfor hacked by Anonymous Hackers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Stratfor hacked by Anonymous Hackers

thehackernews.com

Stratfor who provides strategic intelligence on global business, economic, security and geopolitical affairs just now has been defaced by Anonymous Group of Hackers. Mirror of Hack is available here.

Lulzsec Leader, SABU tweeted that "Over 90,000 Credit cards from LEA, journalists, intelligence community and whitehats leaked and used for over a million dollars in donations".

Private Clients List of Stratfor is also leaked on a Pastebin note.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.rumormillnews.com
chasvoice.blogspot.com
www.cyberwarnews.info

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Kind of surprised this isn't up all over the place by now. If you ask me, this is HUGE news.

Kind of weird it is breaking on December 24th IMO. Wonder why they chose specifically now to do it? Most people off from work and have time to pay attention and digest the coming weeks events? Significance towards Christmas? The "other" Mayan calendar date? The timing is interesting to say the least IMO.

I would say it is confirmed, Stratfor's site is completely down.

I would suggest buckling your seat belt because I think we are about to start a long ride. Be very interested to see what else they release this coming week which will really support their claims of what they plan to do in the future, and whether or not they truly have the ability to do what they been saying all along.

Not sure what to think of all this just yet. Think it is going to be a defining week either way.

I want to believe, but I am still concerned about it just being another false prophet or flag is all.

Some blogs following the Anonymous capers at length are claiming this is the beginning of the end. The end of what I guess is up to one's own personal beliefs, but this could be the start of something unprecedented. Guess only time will tell us.

thehackernews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 25-12-2011 by Awoken4Ever because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Maybe they will stop hacking.
Merry Christmas everyone!
May the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all of you.
***** **** @@@ ### $$$ +++

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
This is terrible, Stratfor is an excellent source of information.

You would think that with their alleged security and intelligence credentials they'd be looking out for stuff like this.

What a drag on Christmas day, even.
edit on 12/25/11 by silent thunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Wow..they left the email backups on the same physical server...tsk tsk tsk.

And they released that guy's info.....not sure how i feel about this part though.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
The Client list is an interesting read. Lots of companies involved in nuclear energy, also a number of defense contractors and state departments.

Curious as to know what this company does for them... Any thoughts?

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by scoobdude

AntiSec has been busy haven't they.

General background from Wikipedia

Strategic Forecasting, Inc., more commonly known as STRATFOR, is a global intelligence company founded in 1996 in Austin, Texas by George Friedman who is the founder, chief intelligence officer, and CEO of the company. Fred Burton is STRATFOR's Vice President for Counterterrorism and Corporate Security.

Not only did they leave their spool backups on the same server (like idiots), they also stored their SQL Database in cleartext. Every client they have had their credit card numbers exposed in cleartext. Just in time for #OpRobinHood too! Merry LulzXmas!!

Another hack that is still up copseek.com

Anonymous has been busy, and will stay busy over the next few days spreading holiday cheer.

A year in review -

edit on 25-12-2011 by Vizzle because: nudity
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   
I have been busy reading the "Complete Message Posted by Hackers on Website homepage is as shown below"
on thehackernews.com... for quite a while.

There is a lot to digest there. Talk about being awake?!?!? I haven't gotten to the end of it yet, but I am hoping that I eventually hear "solution" in there. It's easy to sit around and identify the problem, in many ways very eloquently put. Everyone is playing that game though, talking about the problem, and not the solution. I find it interesting the use of semantics on certain words and quotes at times.

Whoever wrote this is either brilliant, insane, or boarding both. Their knowledge is pretty incredible and I can't kick this up to a bunch of kids putting together this thinking like I have been possibly judging them at times. This is the work of someone that has studied many different areas including philosophy, history, psychology, and sociology to say the least. It's almost, illuminated. There is no way they could of come to all these conclusions in youth on their own.

Does anyone know if Anonymous keeps a central place to put out their news, ideology, information in general that they want to get out to the public? We are all aware of the youtube stuff, but I am wondering if there is another main central distribution point of some sort, without having to follow it on IRC. Also, please refrain from playing with the semantics of "anonymous isn't a group" thing when responding to this question. That isn't for this thread. Thanks

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Awoken4Ever

There is no one central site, but many sites run autonomously by different anons. You just have to know where to look.

also, update from STRATFOR below.

The Pastebins are quite interesting =)

update

To add, I would go with insanely brilliant.

edit on 25-12-2011 by Vizzle because: nudity

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Awoken4Ever

This is the work of someone that has studied many different areas including philosophy, history, psychology, and sociology to say the least. It's almost, illuminated. There is no way they could of come to all these conclusions in youth on their own.

I think you're being slightly pessimistic as to what some people are capable of. After all, we have the entire internet available to us to enlighten ourselves. All it takes is time and thought. The internet generation has the capability to do pretty much anything if we all get on board.

Originally posted by Awoken4Ever

Does anyone know if Anonymous keeps a central place to put out their news, ideology, information in general that they want to get out to the public?

/b/ is honestly your best bet for this and it's pretty hard to come across to be honest. I've only come across two legit anon threads on /b/. Start one yourself and they may come to you. Usually, they assemble news articles into .gifs or .jpgs and start posting away. These are their generalized targets from what I've gathered.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by UnivoxSuperfuzz

really? rules 1 and 2? /b hasnt been "anonymous" for a long time, though that could be considered a starting point for many anons. /b has evolved in to its own...uh.. im not sure what to call it at this point.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Vizzle

Yeah, /b/'s a pretty crazy place; I mean, really one of the last free places on the internet. And if you're using enough secure proxies, it sure is anonymous.

Of course there are other places that they meet, but that's the most accessible one.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnivoxSuperfuzz
I think you're being slightly pessimistic as to what some people are capable of. After all, we have the entire internet available to us to enlighten ourselves. All it takes is time and thought. The internet generation has the capability to do pretty much anything if we all get on board.

I wouldn't argue with you about being pessimistic. Just depends on which side of the bed I wake up that day determines if I am optimistic or pessimistic. It's never the same sadly.

However, I have been around the internet my whole life in one way or the other, and I am part of the generation where we had to use 2400 baud modems to dial into BBS's. I have seen the beauty it can bring in education, but I have also seen the destruction it causes. I very well know first hand of my personal experience what it has done to me, and what it has done to society as a whole.

The "time and thought" you talk about doesn't come easily. It takes countless hours of research, which therefor you are missing out on life. The book of knowledge, or the book of life...that is one's own dilemma. Most won't understand the choice they have taken until it is too late to change...either one is complex in it's own. It isn't like the Matrix where we can hook up and have the whole program downloaded into you in moments.

You are right, the internet generation does have the ability to "do anything" if it is used for the common good, and not the destruction I have seen it bring within ourselves, and our society. Remember the purpose of why the Internet was even invented in the first place, for the purpose of war.

When you say "we all get on board" that leads me to immediately think there is something behind it that one has to "get on board" with. That takes out the individuality, and doesn't allow one to think for themselves. I am on board for sure, just with my plan, not the plan of another. I also based my assumptions off of age. You can gain all the knowledge in the world at a young age, but much of it won't make sense to you, even when you think it does, until you gain experience. Experience comes with age. Basic developmental psychology will explain that. I use to be a 20's year old know it all, then I hit a point where I knew nothing, and now I am at a point where I hope I can learn enough.

The stuff I am reading comes from someone experienced, or someone that this was passed down to from experience. That only comes with age and experience for whatever odd reason. Of course there are exceptions to this rule, but very few. For all I know this could be the writing of a brilliant exception

/b/ is honestly your best bet for this and it's pretty hard to come across to be honest. I've only come across two legit anon threads on /b/. Start one yourself and they may come to you. Usually, they assemble news articles into .gifs or .jpgs and start posting away. These are their generalized targets from what I've gathered.

I don't know what the /b/ thing stands for yet, but I have noticed this signature around. I am assuming it is an identifier to let people know they are "on board," but I haven't looked into it's meaning yet. If you would like to share what it means, that would be great.

I don't want to make it sound like an age thing as one being better than the other, because we are all the same. There are some things you will hear your whole life though which is, "one day you will understand..." and then you find yourself saying to others one day, "one day you will understand." Either way, you hated hearing it, or you hated saying it...LOL Trust me, "one day you will understand" what I mean by that

As for starting anything myself so "they may come to me" it is not "I" that has to come to anyone. I wouldn't feel honored, or special because they did such a thing. Nobody is above me or below me. We are all on the same level. If they want me to understand anything, then that is the way it will always be. Gandhi taught me to never bow down to any man
We are all the same, just a different set of skills and/or experiences is all. Besides, I haven't formulated enough of an opinion just yet as to this being anything that I would want to invite in. If you go into my history I put up another post about this subject. I don't think I can cross thread here. You are, and in fact I encourage you, to come share your thoughts.

Happy Holidays!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   
That client list certainly does look "interesting" for a start. WHO, arms importers, police departments, insurance companies, financial management firms, "ordinary" (?) businesses and pretty much everything in between. Methinks this simple intelligence company was far more than what it appears to be. Nice post OP!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:28 AM
link   

Wow, I had a blast reading your post. You're a true philosopher at heart.

By "on board," I mean get over the philosophy of selfishness and work towards a better humanity, really.

And I know it's not easy, but who DOESN'T want to achieve personal enlightenment and peace among men? It's worth working for unless you're a total psychopath. Even then it might be worth it. I think the youngest generation right now might be the one that changes everything (of course, I understand that every generation feels that same way, though). If the internet remains free and just becomes faster, we could be looking at "technological singularity."

And /b/ is the random forum on 4chan. It's free as hell: pretty much no rules. It's the graffiti of the internet.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by UnivoxSuperfuzz

Cool...thanks for clearing that stuff up and answering my question

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
That client list certainly does look "interesting" for a start.

Interesting key words there "for a start..." I didn't even really think of it from the perspective of where they were specifically "starting" with, as to just being shocked by it overall. If this is just the "start..." I think we better put our helmets on. Glad you said that....you just opened a door in my mind. Thanks!

Yes, pretty spooky list to say the least.
edit on 25-12-2011 by Awoken4Ever because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Hackers target US security think tank
CASSANDRA VINOGRAD | AP

news.yahoo.com/hackers-target-us-security-think-tank-123046257.html

LONDON (AP) — Hackers on Sunday claimed to have stolen 200 GB of e-mails and credit card data from United States security think tank Stratfor, promising a weeklong Christmas-inspired assault on a long list of targets.

Members of the loose hacking movement known as "Anonymous" posted a link on Twitter to what it said was Stratfor's secret client list — including the U.S. Army, the U.S. Air Force, Goldman Sachs and MF Global.

"Not so private and secret anymore?," the group taunted in a message on the microblogging site.

(...)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Here is a link to a mirror of the hack.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   
Something just isn't sitting right with me about this. A "major" security firm with clients like this, using unencrypted data? (and that is saying the least of what really happened technically) Just can't buy it at all. Was it purposely left like this as a trap? Was Anonymous "led" in to purposely (willingly or unwillingly) release this information for someone else's agenda? Could Anonymous just be another organization's front, temp vehicle, or tool? Or is this just part of a much bigger plan overall?

I think there is something more to it, well of course there is, but I think the book's cover isn't the right one at all. I don't know why I say this for sure, but something doesn't smell right at all. It leads me to question what is really behind this and/or Anonymous then. Firms like this just don't have that soft of security period!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join