It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ivan is Cat 5, Florida landfall Monday?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Actually I think the worst thing to happen would be for this storm to NOT hit south Florida. It will weaken when it crosses Cuba. If it hits south Florida it will have little time to reorganize. Trouble comes if it stays out in the gulf longer. I was looking at buoy data and temps range from 87 to an amazing 91 degrees. I couldn't believe it when I saw a 91 degree water temp reading at one buoy. That kind of warm water is just what the worst possible hurricanes need.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Interesting....the Weather Channel projected path (of after 2pm) still has it coming into the Gulf and up the coast of West Florida. NOAA (and the NHC) STILL hasn't updated their projection map from 11am....
on their site.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
i'm taking bets it goes toward texas.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Latest...YIKES!!!

I may actually be getting out of Dodge... If the hurricane actually takes this track, my wife may be going up to the New York branch for the weekend, and if so, I'll likely fly up with her (providing someone will watch the dogs...)

I'd actually rather stay, and watch the animals, but I know her company will be paying all the expenses, and that she'd be bored without me after work...and we could have some fun in New York...

Well, we'll see what happens I guess....

[edit on 9-9-2004 by Gazrok]

kix

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
The projected path seems quite possible, since the jet stream over Mexico and the Yucatan peninsula is still strong in september, so Most def. board up in Florida..!!

The Hurricanes that can and MAY enter the gulf are almost always in october when the jet stream is weaker, then those can hit MExico east coast and Texas (in the Gulf).

I am still thinking global warming is going to make these occurences this often....

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
did south florida get a warning I didn't hear????

it is madness in the stores already. I went to Walmart to buy some sewing stuff and people are going nuts in there. They are buying up everything in sight, I had to put down my sewing stuff and leave the store.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Whew! I'm at a loss for words for the people in Florida.

The eye of Ivan going straight up the Florida peninsula? That's is something to be of great concern about!

What's more terrible than that is, it looks a though it's a slow moving hurricane! I feel for all of you down there.

What does this make it? 3 in a 6 weeks?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Terror is the IN thing now. Could it be that hurricane will follow different path? Yes, it just could be, you know. I'm beginning to think we are living in times where terror reigns from every direction.
You ever stop to think that maybe if no big deal (for now) was made on this hurricane, it might just take another course?
Think about it.

ps. I DO think hurricanes are horrible, and I lived thru a couple in South Florida. Its no picnic. Maybe we should pray and hope for the best.
We should know by Sunday night if its imminent. Then panic.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
What about Cuba?
Doesn�t anybody care what might happen to Cuba?
Everybody is just talking about Florida.
I know there are many members here from Florida and of course I understand why they have more concern about Florida...
But Florida is not the only place to be hit by Ivan, or by any other Hurricane.
There is a world outside the US...
I just had to remind you about that.
I mean those of you who might have forgot...
As a non-US citizen of the world that I am (not anti-US).

And I don�t mean to be disrespectful to any hurricane-victims here, US or non-US.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Poor Cuba. As if those people dont have enough problems! It looks like its gonna cut right thru Havana. My mother is from Cuba and still has relatives there. Lets hope for a miracle with them and one with us.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   
ivan's sustained winds YO-YOed from 135 to 105m.p.h., then from 105 up to 160m.p.h. it is one feisty S.O.B. of a storm.....and the potential for it making landfall with 175 sustained winds is very real. did i really see a projected course up the east coast??

a category 3 hitting here in new york city would be worse than a category 6 [if there WERE one] hitting in florida...i mean we are sitting ducks. no, that's not a good analogy; ducks can float! WE are DOOMED as soon as a 20 foot tidal surge gets here.

wait, that's not funny....

not funny at all.

but i can't help thinking about the false sense of security we new yorkers have....

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Ay,
I just read that 85% of Grenada is destroyed...

And so far there are reported 30 people killed by Ivan in Grenada, Tobago, Venezuela and Dominican republic.

Jamaica is next.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I heard 90% in Grenada...

I just realized something....if we do fly to New York tomorrow...we'd be flying on 9/11....man, that sucks...

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

I just realized something....if we do fly to New York tomorrow...we'd be flying on 9/11....man, that sucks...

It's Saturday, the Sabbath, you'd think that fanatical islamics wouldn't risk the work involved in blowing up a few planes on the sabbath, but then who knows......do they shun work on the sabbath like the jewish faith?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellmutt
What about Cuba?
Doesn�t anybody care what might happen to Cuba?
I just had to remind you about that.
I mean those of you who might have forgot...
As a non-US citizen of the world that I am (not anti-US).

No disrespect taken but ...

Honestly, I have to ask ... DOESN'T ANYONE IN THE WORLD
CARE ABOUT THE PEOPLE OF FLORIDA?

You don't have to remind Americans about helping and
being concerned for others and other countries.
America sends billions in aid and help overseas all the time.
To muslim countries, to countries that voted against what we
want at the UN .... we are always offering a helping hand.
We offer it to EVERYONE. Our government and private groups
of faith are always right there when it is needed.

So ... where's the help and concern for America in our time of
need? From Europe? From Canada? From the Middle East?
From the Far East? WHERE?

Sorry Hellmutt, but even though we are sorry for what is happening
to Cuba and Jamaica etc. etc. someone else will have to go and
help those poor folks out for a change. We have a crisis situation
of our own right now. You are welcome to remind those in Europe
and elsewhere that we could use some help once in a while too.

If anyone has any links to any info about other countries actually
helping US through this (for a change), please post them here. I'm
sure we'd all like to send 'thank you's'.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by IndyI was looking at buoy data and temps range from 87 to an amazing 91 degrees.

I did too. The buoy data and the wave height stuff is interesting.
Especially with a hurricane coming. Google it up folks. It's interesting
reading.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar

Originally posted by Gazrok

It's Saturday, the Sabbath, you'd think that fanatical islamics wouldn't risk the work involved in blowing up a few planes on the sabbath, but then who knows......do they shun work on the sabbath like the jewish faith?

That doesn't matter. Example - Islam also doesn't allow
homosexuality, but Kabul has a HUGE homosexual population.
HUGE. The terrorists do what ever they want, when ever they want.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Actually, the Muslim weekend is Thursday and Friday.... Saturday is more like the first day of the week...

EDIT: Looks like it may be Sun if we fly out....

[edit on 10-9-2004 by Gazrok]

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   
After today Cuba is going to be in a bad place. They have no place to run.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Oh come on people! Get a grip! It's just a little Cat 5 Hurricane. I mean geez. 200 MPH (320KM/H) winds have never done anyone any harm. What's all the fuss, ya bunch of scaredy cats? Go back to ya homes. Ya pay to live there, not run. Put up a fight.

;P

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join