It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Girl (16) Charged With Conspiracy To Commit Terrorism

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

An Ottumwa High School student has been charged with conspiracy to commit terrorism. Police arrested Emily Kay Six, 16, Ottumwa, on Thursday. Officials said they began investigating after Six allegedly began trying to recruit students for what police called “a plan to harm a number of students.” The charge is a Class D felony. Six was taken to a juvenile detention facility following her arrest. Police Chief Jim Clark said Six’s plans were stopped before they could be acted upon. The investigation is ongoing, though, and Clark would not comment on whether others may have been aware of Six’s efforts.

Is everything considered 'terrorism' now? Is that word being used for any crime that involves a certain amount of people? Is it based on location? Is it based on political ideology? I think we may be seeing that little word crop up more and more as time goes on because it seems to give LE more wiggle room in an investigation. The story sounds a bit fishy too.

Michael said there are five other students whom police investigated in the case and he believes Emily is being used by those students as a scapegoat. He characterized Emily as a follower, rather than an instigator. Michael reviewed Emily’s Facebook page and her chats on it and what he read does not suggest she wanted to harm others. She was bullied, he said, but was not planning to hurt her fellow students.

It certainly would make sense for a bullied kid to seek vengeance. I have yet to figure out what exactly she is actually accused of doing though. Was she going to shoot the place up? Poison the lunch meat?

I really hope this isn't some sick form of bullying the girl/ruining her life.

Thoughts?

Link

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:48 AM
link   
I don't know, I have to say that street brawl with the 50 girls ganging up on one girl was pretty much an act of terrorism. It's good that they stopped it now, before anybody got hurt.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I say it all the time, but its so true. 'Terrorism' is a subjective term. It can be used by anyonw, anytime, and justified with a sime reference to perspective.

We will see the term continued to be used more and more freely, and applied to more and more situations.

When people speak of mental warfare, well, this is a prime example. It is conditioning with the intent to causefear.

That said, I do think this child should face charges and get the help that they need. Regardless of how dispicaple it is that such a gross amount of bullying still exists in this day and age, we simply cannot condoneviolence in our schools. Schools should be a place of safety. The bulllying needs to be dealt with, but it should be by the adults in the situation. Not by other kids.
edit on 25-12-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

When people speak of mental warfare, well, this is a prime example. It is conditioning with the intent to causefear.

I'm worried about that and also that pretty soon everything is going to be an act of terrorism, with additional charges tacked on. Conspiracy to commit murder to me isn't terrorism.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:54 AM
link   
like the article said though, her father checked into her facebook account and saw no violence in her posts or chats. I do think the police are going overboard with this one, (big surprise there
) I'm willing to bet that if the police did their jobs and investigated the school, and interviewed most of the students the story would be different. a lot different coming from all of those students, but I'm willing to bet that the general consensus would be that she is not capable of doing this out of terrorist actions, but more as a defense mechanism, after all she is a bullied student. bullied kids will do desperate things for means of defense, and sticking with the people who have a common interest with someone, i.e. getting picked on by that same student......... well, you gotta give her credit for trying... if that's what really was going on.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I'm worried about that and also that pretty soon everything is going to be an act of terrorism, with additional charges tacked on. Conspiracy to commit murder to me isn't terrorism.

Agreed. I also agree with what you said in the op-calling things terrorism opens up a whole new platbook for LE. Think about how much more free they are to monitor that entire school now.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

What is funny at my school is the internet. I was trying to do a project on 9/11 back in the day and could not even type it in google without it blocking me. Then just recently I tried to do a project on Nintendo. So i typed it in Google and, of course, was denied access to even looking at sites for "games". I decided that somewhat made sense but then experimented. All I wanted to do was visit Nintendo's website (no actual games there you can play mind you) so then I typed in other things that seemed more harmful. I typed in Hitler first, came up with a million results and could enter every site. Then I typed in "gun", then "shoot people", then finally "I want to shoot people at my school" and every one came up on google with sites I could enter.

Anyway back to OP, maybe schools should allow more video game sites and people won't need to resort to talking about terrorism in schools.

I think there needs to be precautionary actions though... They do also need to be justified well, and locally decided on. Also, there needs to be a better system for the people who really aren't the "instigators". Sometimes watching something bad happen or whatever is just watching something happen. It sounds to me that this girl was frustrated because of how people treat her and vented to one too many ears.
edit on 25-12-2011 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
maybe this should shed a reason why it is called terrorism... fits the bill??? highlighted in red

Main Entry: ter·ror·ism Pronunciation: 'ter-&r-"i-z&m Function: noun
1 : the unlawful use or threat of violence esp. against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion

2 : violent and intimidating GANG activity terrorism> — ter·ror·ist /-ist/ adj or noun — ter·ror·is·tic /"ter-&r-'is-tik/ adjective

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Actually, the police had no authority to arrest that girl. She wasn't doing any act of terrorism. By definition, terrorism is the use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims (Google definition)! Was she trying to overthrow the government? No! She was being bullied and wanted vengeance.

Should the police get involved in this? Of course not because then, they would have to arrest the person bullying her and thousand of bullies elsewhere instead of catching murderers and thieves. The school should have taken care of this problem, not the police.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I don't know, I have to say that street brawl with the 50 girls ganging up on one girl was pretty much an act of terrorism. It's good that they stopped it now, before anybody got hurt.

10 years ago they would have called it gang violence, because that was the buzz-propaganda term of the time. LE was given special units, funding and privelage to deal with the 'gang problem'.

Now, its terrorism. And LE is given even more special units, funding, and privelage to deal with it.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by GodofWar411
maybe this should shed a reason why it is called terrorism... fits the bill??? highlighted in red

Main Entry: ter·ror·ism Pronunciation: 'ter-&r-"i-z&m Function: noun
1 : the unlawful use or threat of violence esp. against the state or the public as a politically motivated means of attack or coercion

2 : violent and intimidating GANG activity terrorism> — ter·ror·ist /-ist/ adj or noun — ter·ror·is·tic /"ter-&r-'is-tik/ adjective
you beat me to it. This is a fairly new definition of the word. Gang violence USED to be seperated, by definition.

Never forget that definitions of words like this can easily be molded and changed.
edit on 25-12-2011 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

I wasn't aware that gang violence was added to the definition. Perhaps it was always there but I thought terrorism sought to terrorize people so that they submitted to the will of the terrorist, generally for political reasons. I'm almost more creeped out now.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

He emphasized that police believe the threat is neutralized.

“We believe there is no further threat,” he said.

the wording here is a little eye opening, america is a battlefield now legally right?

it's like bait to enter the prison system for life. they are building bigger and badder prisons after all, creates and sustains jobs for working families
the ones whos kids end up in them

if your caught in the act its instant execution on the spot

where are we going with this terrorism rhetoric?
I mean it's obvious, but if it's common sense knowledge then WTF?
TSA, homeland security and the works. I can understand public safety, thats the police, right?
the agencies are working as pre-crime, or in some cases real crime to create more crime.

edit on 25-12-2011 by yourmaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

I wasn't aware that gang violence was added to the definition. Perhaps it was always there but I thought terrorism sought to terrorize people so that they submitted to the will of the terrorist, generally for political reasons. I'm almost more creeped out now.
pretty interesting, huh? It was NEVER part of the definition. Now it begins to creep into more and more sources.

I guarantee gang activity will not be the last thing added to the definition of the word. I fully expect to see something about drugs sneak in there as well.

The more they stretch the definition, the more they can use it in cases like this. Its gonna be a VERY slippery slope.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Man that's what I was worried about. Slippery slope indeed.
edit on 25-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
With the Patriot Act, she may never see the light of day again.
Merry Christmas everyone!
May the peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with all of you.
***** **** @@@ ### $$$ +++

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

It's terrorism if it involves 16 year old girls.
If it involves Muslims it's called workplace violence or having "issues".

Caveat! This is not a slam on Muslims. It is a slam on the cowards we have in charge!!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
thank you america, pm harper and the crtc for exporting that garbage to canada.

harper want's to be america so bad and be with "cool" kids.

i'm just waiting for canada's first columbine and random mcdonald shooting sprees.

it's drive thru for me from now on.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
You see where this is going right? The NDAA act allows trial without due process of terrorists and now anyone can be accused of being a terrorist. NDAA is an act of treason.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me. If you see something, say something, right?

Next time I see a group of people in riot gear in a line, using a megaphone to tell me I will have my hands bound if I don't do what they say, I'm going to call the police. A gang of people with explosive devices, with an intent to cause me physical harm and take me hostage, making demands?

I feel way more terrorized by the notorious "FillintheblankPD" GANG then from a 16 year old on Facebook.

But that's just me.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join