It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Adverts remind me of some old comic book favorite scam-products!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Merry Christmas everybody on ATS!

I got a huge monitor for a present, which I've just managed to plug in, although I must still fiddle with the focus. Everything is huge and somewhat pale, but boy am I proud of myself for finding all the plugs.
Despite my best efforts the screen also seems to be facing downward, but it's the attachment that fits on the stand.

Of course I couldn't wait to see what my favorite website looked like, and my surprise was big when the opening page had a pic of a wide-screen pair of lady's buttocks (stark naked I might add).
I think it's called the "X-Scanner".

It seems to advertise a device that allows one to see through people's clothing.

I figured that I'd seen all that in a different form in the back pages of old comic books that I read when I was a kid.
Back then they called it "X-Ray" glasses.
It was right next to the Sea Monkeys, who lived as monkey-like mermaids in idyllic family groups.
They still sell them now as shrimps, but all the magic is gone.

How sad to think those wonderful gadgets were all scams.

Did anybody else get excited about owning sea monkeys, or X-ray glasses and similar paraphernalia?
Does it exist today as the advert suggests, and we can see naked bottoms through a phone screen?

I guess that might prepare kids for a career as security guards at an international airport.
I'm sure the Sea Monkeys also inspired kids in the past to become entrepreneurs, marine biologists, artists, anthropologists or missionaries.
edit on 24-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Little shorty waving from back of the room... me..me...pick me....

I had those silly Sea Monkeys when I was a kid. I was kinda disappointed when I got them and they were dust looking stuff in a little paper envelope. But I followed directions and enjoyed every minute watching them in the water. I thought they would look like the cartoon picture...instead they looked like the brine shrimp my dad fed to his salt water fish.

I still loved them.

Congrats on your new big screen. Merry Christmas back atcha

edit on 24-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Lets see a picture of your new monitor!

I'd love to have one i could plug my laptop into when i'm at home. Anything you could recommend?

something that isn't super expensive.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Hmmm....
Please share more about this "Naked Bottom" you have spoken of.

Pics or it didn't happen? Please!?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dannotz

Nope, sorry, I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to these things.
I can't give hardware advice, and I'm still learning.
It's a 51cm wide LCD screen by a popular company (and I'm not gonna advertise trademarks), and I can highly recommend it. I mean this hardware won't set you back that much.

We have a store here that sells these things (along with groceries and and lots of different products), and when the mall was closed for renovations they had to close too.
However they re-opened with specials, and people virtually camped out overnight to get these screens.
The people who got me this screen waited in line for three hours (however it wasn't just for the screen).
They said it was a bit like buying a loaf of bread in a communist country.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Keep us posted on your adventures with modern living, you hear?

(Honestly, you have a good style and wit, frequently unmatched on ATS.)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Both times I've logged back in now there were different adverts.
I haven't seen it again.
Even if I did, it was some kind of glitch, and I wouldn't re-post that particular picture here.

When I Googled it, I a got a range of Youtube adverts, and it seems to be some phone application (although it's clearly a scam, unless I'm behind the times).

Still, there wouldn't be a such a variety of adverts if people didn't retain a snot-nosed sense of voyeurism.

I guess it's OK to repeat this French clip, where the nudity is obscure, and out of reach unless you get their whatever it is.

Duh, it's nothing I haven't seen in the National Geographic as a kid.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Oh heck!
That's just the new TSA scanner app.

I already got that one.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

Typical, just when I thought Americans didn't like the French they get a French rep to market it!
How apt.
What next - US Presidents holding hands and kissing fundamentalist Muslim oil barons?
Not in a million years!

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
One thing that I heard of as a kid was a "flatulist", or an artist who could turn the humble fart into high art by farting songs, and even arias.
I recall whoopee cushions advertised by these people.

Perhaps it was not totally untrue.
Here is Mr. Methane on Britain's Got Talent:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

I can't believe how some of these people in the clip got their knickers in a knot over Mr. Methane.
What he does is definitely an "art", and it's amazing how he hits those notes, and that final rumbling note is quite dramatic.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I just sometimes wonder if Mr Methane gives his career as a "flatulist" when traveling, and how he explains it in other languages?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

I'm wondering if this is where Matt and Trey got the idea for the episode with Randy Marsh and the britches...

new topics

top topics

join