It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OP/ED: 9/11, Three Years Later, Tributes, and AboveTopSecret.com

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Three years ago this week, the world witnessed horrific events in New York City and Washington, DC. Everyone has a story or memory of where they were and what they were doing the moment news came that a plane had struck the World Trade Center North Tower. And here in Manhattan, everyone who was here has sharply distinct memories of every minute of every hour of that day. In this city of 8 million people, everyone knew someone who worked in those buildings, or someone who was rushing to rescue people who worked in those buildings. For too many New Yorkers, the events are tragically personal.

My experience on that day was in a chaotic office where several of our fellow employees had close friends or family members suddenly, unthinkably in harms way. Watching the event unfold on TV screens in our lobby, a scream that still echoes in my head startled all of us. A young woman had just arrived at work, only to see the very floor and window where her father sat replaced with a gapping hole and flames. As the day unfolded, we learned he got out, as he was in the far men's room when the plane hit, right next to the stairs. That's just one story, in a day of dozens of stories for me, in a day of millions of people with dozens of stories each. As the United States and the world rushes to commemorate these events in a myriad of ways by looking back and recalling the catastrophe, we, the members of AboveTopSecret.com should consider a different response. A response only we can make, or perhaps, have already made. Over the years, as our little discussion board began to grow from a small group of online friends talking about conspiracies, to a full-blown diverse community of people discussing all manner of "alternative topics", a constant refrain has often been seen from newer members. The refrain often goes something like this, "is this all you're going to do, talk about things?" This well-intended new user (perhaps a 5-week old member), suddenly grows frustrated with our lack of direct action, and hopes to muster some type of proactive movement of force from within ATS. Often, these users become increasing frustrated over what they believe to be our lack of action. How wrong they are. One by one, they learn. Each day that our visiting guests outnumber visiting users by ten-to-one, is a day we know we may just be helping someone to open their eyes. As we engage each other in debate, speculation, preaching, shouting, mud-slinging, theorizing, debunking, and wild-eyed-ravings, we add to the collective knowledge-base of ATS. Every possible topic within the realm of political conspiracies, cover-ups, secret societies, world governments, aliens, UFO's, time travel, religious issues, science, space exploration, and more is covered in stunning detail from an impressive array of viewpoints. People who come here are certainly going to be either repulsed by our topics, or intrigued by our point of view. Given our massive traffic, we know that each day, some of our visitors have an eye opening experience. And perhaps, just maybe, they being to question and doubt. One by one, they question. You, the members of AboveTopSecret.com, are potentially the most effective catalyst for change that exists in the world today. Your words, ideas, thoughts, musing, theories, and wild ramblings are the most heavily indexed, of any site like us, by Internet search engines. Over 3.2% of all the pages in Goolge that are returned for the search, "conspiracies", are from your ATS discussion board. Over 200,000 new users find ATS through Google searches every month, and over 42,000 unique search terms help them find us. You have created the most impressive resource that has ever existed for awakening people and helping them understand there are deeper issues than what mainstream media has the time, desire, or ability to express. And when they find us they join, at the pace of 2,200 each month. One by one, they contribute. Three years ago, a defining moment in modern history occurred. Historians are already classifying events as "before 9/11" or "after 9/11" when examining cause and effect. Such defining moments cause normally sublime and passive people to pause and wonder. And in this digital age, when people pause and wonder, they look to the Internet for answers. One by one, they search. Here is your tribute. You didn't know you were building it. You didn't know it was important. No one told you to build it. It seemed like the right thing to do, question, wonder, and doubt. And now, every word of your contributions stand as a tribute to facing the facts we are provided and responding with a resounding "no thank you!" You desire to think differently. You help anyone with a moment of doubt and confusion, locate the reasons for their doubt, and consider alternatives. One by one. If all we ever do, through our discussions, is help one person each day to consider that things really may not be as cut-and-dried as they may seem, it is worth it. Your tribute; keep thinking, keep posting, keep pontificating, keep theorizing, keep asking questions. These, your contributions to the knowledge base, is our proactive movement of force. Your tribute is not to look back and remember, but to continue to look forward and deny ignorance. Because they come here, one by one.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:52 AM
link   
Very well said SO.

I was sitting at home that morning when my sister called and told me we were being attacked. That was before the second plane hit. She just "knew" it was terrorists. I was terrified.

I put a tape in the VCR and taped about 3 weeks worth of CNN news. I just could not believe what I was seeing. When the Pentagon was hit my heart just dropped. One of the most protected buildings in the world was hit by a terrorist? I couldn't believe it.

The attacks of September 11, 2001 affected the entire world. I think everyone knew or knew someone who had family or friends there.

9/11 will not be something forgotten by the United States or many other countries in the world. Remembering those lost in that attack is the best way to honor those people.

We Will Not Forget

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I too will not forget !

I was working in Ohio, my company has offices all over the U.S. One of my co-workers was minutes from the Trade Center when the planes hit. He had traveled to NY on business and was supposed to be downtown Manhatten that morning, however the salesman that was to pick him up, was running late and they didn't make it downtown that morning.

My company had employees at the Pentagon that day, finishing up some work that we had been doing. They all made it out.

I've been watching all the "specials" on tv this week, about the towers, the attack, why they fell, etc. I don't want to forget that terrible day, I never will.

Thoughts and prayers with the families who lost a loved one on that day.

God Bless.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Anyone who seen it happen, on tv or in person, will never forget. People that seek the truth will never forget. The people who perpetrared these acts wil never forget.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
even though i am from australia i will never forget.

at about 6am i woke up and turned the TV on and then had a shower, when i got out dad said "theyre attacking new york" and i thought What the...? at first i thought the planes where military then i heard they were civillian, i was devestated for the families of the victims.

i had to go to college in the city that day and all we talked about was the previous nights happenings (because of the time difference the first plane hit at around 11pm AEST) then we heard that the pentagon had also been attacked, none of us knew this because most of the attention was on the WTC.

we all prayed in our own ways, there was many religeons represented, Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Spiritual. we all prayed for the well being of all that survived and for the ones who had passed.

i still remember that day, and i will remember that day forever.

[edit on 9-9-2004 by ausconspiracies2]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
For some reason as I was in my way to work I felt the morning was gloomy, later during class the students told me about the news, one of the teachers had the TV on that morning on the news and that is how the entire school got the news on the tragedy.

The whole entire day at school and the mood was of being in a daze, kids were to exited to do anything else but talk about the attacks, (this are middle high school) for some that think that children did not comprehend the 9/11 tragedy I will tell you our students knew exactly what was going and their way of understanding the situation was very clear and mature for being young.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 09:07 AM
link   
The point of this post is not about posting your personal memories of the day and events. While these are important for use to come to terms with one of the most significant (if not most significant) events of our time, it's not my intent to focus on that here. This thread, is already doing that well: www.abovetopsecret.com... My idea was to think about how all of us are contributing to helping people understand there is more to consider beyond the surface issues discussed in mainstream media. And with that new understanding, form new questions and search for answers. Our ability to attract these people, help them understand, and guide them to think differently may be far more important than we ever realized.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
It is very difficult to try to explain and help people when the media is doing a good job on keeping most people terrorize and afraid, anytime something happened in the world most people wonder when we are going to be next.

The mentality of some co workers is, well in order to keep us safe we have to support the war in the Middle East and keep on invading.

If you tried to reason with most of these people they look at you and ask you if you love America and if you will do anything for it, and better them dying in the middle east that us here in the US. Some agree that US has change and so the entire world, and I find very funny that most of my friends that are my age or older are pretty much content with what the findings on the 9/11 commission has come out with and they really trust the administration on keeping them safe, while the younger ones late teens and early 20's thing the government has something to do with 9/11 and that they are hiding the truth.

So the Anti American sentiment is very powerful if you disagree with the majority�s view, I live in the south I can only talk from my experiences.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:31 PM
link   
SkepticOverlord

You are 100% correct! I have only been a part of this community since July of this year, I have seen people's view change dramatically on diffrent subjects and thier whole ideolgy of thoughts twisted to the point that they start questioning themselves and thier beliefs. I am glad that we can all reflect back on the bad things that have occured here in The United States especially 9/11 but in reality that puts a bad taste in my mouth because I'm from across the river and not once did I ever here anyone say "Thank You New Jersey" Yes, I did say that. I lost family members who worked across the bridge and also had many friends as well as myself who came from across the river to help out at Ground Zero but it seems it's always NY this and NY that, well sorry to burst so many peoples bubbles but without New Jersey, NY would probably crumble, do to the amount of people who actually cross that river each day to go to work. Sorry If I put a damper on this but "Hey" I'm from Jersey and New Yorkers are like brothers but they all just forgot to say one thing. "Thanks Jersey".

Just my thought reflecting back to 9/11

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I dont think anyone will ever forget that day....and nor should they be allowed to forget!!

I remember gettin changed for duty and the alarms went off for the situation room..running to the room i was horrified..it was chaotic..phones ringing, people on comms to other units etc. A lot of people on this base have a lotta respect for those involved.

Lets pray it nvr happens again...even tho we all know it will.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I would like to share what ATS has done for me in respect to the events of 9/11 as well as what ATS is doing for so many others who find this wonderful discussion community and the news network.

I now feel aware. That doesn't mean that I know the answer, or the truth, but that I feel I am actively seeking reality. Paying attention for the first time in my life. And I have such a wonderful well-rounded community that brings all their views right to my table so that I can consider each one.

ATSNN is making a difference. We are getting the word out. We are moving not only our genre of communities to seek reality along with us, but we are moving mainstream media to look at it.

I would like to give an example:

My last Flight to 911 installment on August 8th of this year. I place this here not because of pride of anything I have done, but any given ATS member could have done the same work, maybe even better. But I am proud of this work for itself, not me. In what I learned, and what I was given the chance to reveal and share with my fellow ATS members, as well as any visitors to our news network:

Flight to 911 - Al-Qaeda's Goal of al Khalifa

Upon searching against the title of this article, and certain key phrases I found the following:

Direct link at blogspot.com in the Disturbingly Necessary News Section:

Disturbingly Necessary News

Direct link at Glory to Glory Message Board's News Section:

Glory to Glory Message Board News Links

Posted by a member on Wisdomseekers message board:

Wisdomseekers Message Board Member

Plagiarized complete article without credit or references by a member on Black Vault message board:

Black Vault Member Post

In addition, out in the real world, approximately 2 weeks after this article was posted, FOX news interviewed an expert who discussed not only the goal of Al Qaeda to establish a caliphate, but the finer points addressed in the ATSNN article. In the words of the listener who caught the interview "he had to have read your article".

This morning, Darrel Ancarlo, talk radio host on Dallas's KLIF station, had an expert on to discuss Al Qaeda's goal of establishing a caliphate.

Maybe I just hope too much that we can effect a change that brings people to discussing the important issues of our times, so that we can begin to fashion some type of logical approach that could lead to a solution. Maybe this is all synchronicity and would have been discussed right now anyway. And there is a good chance that this all could be a coincidence...

but, then, there's the chance we really have been heard by the "outside world". It doesn't matter though, we're listening to each other, and that's good enough for me.

Thank you for your thoughts, SO. This is a wonderful piece. And thank you and Simon for allowing me to find my home in this community that has changed me forever.

[edit on 9-9-2004 by Valhall]

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
P.S. On the Glory to Glory message board News section, it appears they are linking to EVERY ATSNN/TerrorAnalysis news article.

THIS OP/ED piece is currently linked in their news section!

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Everyone says that you remember where you were when Kennedy was shot and 9/11 is no different.

I was making pancakes. That day my world stopped. That day my world changed.

I will NEVER forget.

Blessed Be.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I believe I have learned how to think. I always sought information and answers throughout my life, but untill I came to ATS, I was not challenged. I had always been "into" conspiracy theories, and the like, but when I saw the second plane hit on TV things changed. I wanted answers, I wanted to talk to people who were open minded and would seek answers and truth no matter what the outcome was. I found those people here on ATS. I have been challenged by my peers to "Research". I have not always been handed 110% answers, I had been given a lead to follow, and most of the time, that lead led me to my answer and more. I have learned to question everything, no matter what it may seem. Being part of the ATSNN staff has helped me to look at things in multiple directions. I have my own opinions, but I have never looked "Deep" into every angle of a given situation. I have found a place that no matter what our opinions or differences are, I still would have the back of any member on this site, and I feel it vice versa.

I still have alot of unanswered questions concerning the events surrounding 9-11. I still feel I am not being told the truth. I am not the only one.

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Beyond 9/11 what I think I have seen through many discussions here in ATS, and just general discussions with many people in the real world, I have seen a window into the human mind and how each individual has their own views on this issue.. We all witnessed this event together in some way or another. Yet there seem to be as many opinions about the cause, the following military action, and the war on terror, as there are people who have seen what happened on that day. Conspiracy Theories that seem to come from every possible angle.. and here it is 3 years later and it is still the source of massive discussion everywhere.. and it seems to be that way on a global scale... 9/11 changed the world!

The attacks of September 11, 2001 will be the source of pain, speculation, anger, and conspiracy theories for many generations.

It had such powerful impact on millions who watched in shock and awe as the events of that day unfolded.

Was it just a terrorist attack, or was it a knife in the back of all who believed they lived in a peaceful and secure world?

At some point we must deny these terrorists their victory.. and ultimately to Deny Ignorance.

[edit on 9-9-2004 by UM_Gazz]

top topics

join