It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rugby Compilation - Made by me - Rugby League & Rugby Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I can't embed the video because it's not Youtube, what do you think of it thought?

www.dailymotion.com...

I tried to show the best of the codes(admittedly it's a bit more League orientated), without relying on just hits and fights as many other people do

If you've never seen the sport or don't know much about it do you think the video is a decent advertisement?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'd also be interested in what my fellow British football(European) fans think. I know Rugby has a negative rep for being a posh sport and being in many ways semi-professional, it's kind of a stigma for the game. What do football fans think of the video, outside of the short shorts ?

Most the footage if not all is from Australia and NZ where Rugby League and Rugby Union are popular and commercial respectively
edit on 24-12-2011 by JessopJessopJessop because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by JessopJessopJessop

I really like the looks of it. Of course, after three minutes I'd be in an ambulance, but it would be a real thrill.

I'm not clear what you mean by a "posh sport." Are you saying that Rugby is considered a brawling, working man's game and that football (or soccer) is played and enjoyed by the elites?

I'd much rather have Rugby in the US than football/soccer, why hasn't it caught on? The combination of speed, strength, toughness, and agility is something I don't see often.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

I really like the looks of it. Of course, after three minutes I'd be in an ambulance, but it would be a real thrill.

I'm not clear what you mean by a "posh sport." Are you saying that Rugby is considered a brawling, working man's game and that football (or soccer) is played and enjoyed by the elites?

I'd much rather have Rugby in the US than football/soccer, why hasn't it caught on? The combination of speed, strength, toughness, and agility is something I don't see often.

Thanks for the feedback Charles! I was saying the opposite though with my comments about "posh sport". In England, well, in many countries(England,Scotland, Australia etc) Rugby is seen as a game for elitists, rich people, posh people.

In contrast, in England, football(European kind) is seen as the working mans game. It's kind of true for England but many of my fellow English don't realise it's a working class professional game in some countries, so I was interested in seeing what they thought of the video - because a lot of people have preconceptions about it and don't realise it's a thriving professional sport.

I guess the reason it hasn't caught on in popular culture in America is because it's perceived as being very dangerous(even though it's safer than american football), people see it as competition against american football, and rugby doesn't have the money to start professional leagues like soccer has.

Rugby Union is fast growing in America though amongst kids and schools and with the 7-man version of the game being added to the olympics I'm sure it will get a little more popular. NBC sometimes has some games
Technically I think it's the fastest growing sport in America, but that's not too difficult when you're starting from behind

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

As a Welshman who loves rugby i can approve of this video.

And I can tell you the the Welsh don't think of rugby as a posh sport at all because the majority of the Welsh people like to watch rugby and some occasionally play. But this could all be down to the fact that this is the only sport we are good at even though we haven't won anything for a while!
As for England and the others i have no idea.
edit on 24-12-2011 by LetsBringIt because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by LetsBringIt

As a Welshman who loves rugby i can approve of this video.

And I can tell you the the Welsh don't think of rugby as a posh sport at all because the majority of the Welsh people like to watch rugby and some occasionally play. But this could all be down to the fact that this is the only sport we are good at even though we haven't won anything for a while!
As for England and the others i have no idea.
edit on 24-12-2011 by LetsBringIt because: (no reason given)

You won the Sevens World Cup the other year! Rugby Sevens is very competetive but Wales would have a good shout at winning gold at the olympics for Sevens Rugby........................ Unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on how you look at it, in the Olympics British nations will have to play as one.

The problem with Wales in Rugby is you play entertaining Rugby, perhaps too much so, to the point you play "good rugby" when you should be trying to spoil and win by any means.

Also your players wear fake tan, which justifies your failure

top topics

join