It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why dont US billionaires support Ron Paul? The answer may surprise you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I got the idea for this thread after reading THIS thread-
Billionaires voting with their dollars
If you havent seen this thread before, please check it out.
Surprise surprise, US billionaires are voting for Mitt Romney. At first glance, this seems to make sense as Romney is fairly wealthy himself, and will be sure to look out for his(and similiar peoples) interests.

However, I am a Ron Paul fan, and consider myself to know a good amount about his outlook and Potential policies. One of my favorite stances of his is this-

Eliminating the US income tax and the IRS.

And this is why i was so confused about the extremely rich of our country not supporting ron paul. You would think that US billionaires would stand the gain the most from not having an income tax and a slowly eroding dollar that hemorrages value from their savings. It seems like an obvious choice to me, which i why this story has been nagging me since I read it.

Now, billionaires have their economic/financial cards in order. You dont get to the rank of billionaire unless you have a serious hand on your finances(or unless your names zuckerberg). So i am sure US billionaires must have some financial reason behind boycotting Paul, as in theyve done the numbers for what a supposed paul economy would look like vs say, a romney economy.

My own personal conclusion: US billionaires stand to gain more from our war-mongering foreign policy than they would stand to gain from a 0% income tax rate.

Of course there may be other economic reasons behind their choosing, but this seems the most likely to me.
What other reason can you come up with ats? I would like to hear your thoughts.
edit on 12/24/2011 by VonDoomen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I'm voting Ron Paul

I don't care if pigs fly and the moon crashes in my livingroom.

Dammit I'm tired of voting for the dummy just so we don't get the idiot.

Nice work OP. star and flag.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

I like your theory and I'm sure that accounts for at least some of the billionaires but I think the majority of them fear an end to money in politics. A Ron Paul administration would pave the way for movements like Dylan Ratigan's "Get Money Out" movements and spell the end of corporations getting favored by way of lobbying.

Basically, Dr. Paul is a proponent for a fair capitalist market and a fair political playing field. This scares the crap out of most contemporary capitalists and politicians.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by cuervo

Ahh yes, that is a very good observation! I am sure thats another top reason!

I just cant believe the ultra-wealthy arent all for a 0% tax rate.

Its seems power and the ability to persuade are much more valuable to them than their immense wealth.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cuervo

I whole heartedly agree on this. They're scared. Their current way of making money, might just fall down the drain if Dr. Paul has his way. And it should. We no longer have a fair economy. Nor, a fair political system. And the two go hand-in-hand

Dr. Paul wants to fix all that. It it scares the bejeezus out of them. Their nice little nest egg of corruption, just might dwindle when things become legit around here.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
And you make a good point, why WOULDNT they support him? And the only logical conclusion is that they profit way too much from the current corrupt system.

The argument that "Ron Paul is for the rich" is totally debunked.

edit on 24-12-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Ending the gravy train makes the establishment and elites very fearful and desperate.

Another example of Billionaires not financially supporting Ron Paul, although the founder of Paypal has given Ron compliments in the past.

edit on 24-12-2011 by eLPresidente because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by eLPresidente

Really Huntsman as 4th on the billionaires wish list? I really like that guy, he was my second. Hmm going to be rethinking him now though.

OT: Not sure why.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Mcupobob

He has connections to massive wealth.

I invite you to google: Huntsman Corporation.

I suspect he is being setup for 2016.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
This is just my take on it..

Billionaires are happy with the current system. They know how the systems works and most importantly - they know how to work the system.

So, its not really a surprise that the would vote for people that keep the current status quo. After all, in the current status quo they basically run the show. So, they vote for Romney, Obama or Perry. They are least likely to vote for someone that would really shake up the status quo like Mr. Paul.

Really, at their level they don't care too much about taxes as their are ways around that kind of irritant. They care most about keeping the current systems in place that allowed them to become billionaires.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
There really is no reason for billionaires to dislike Ron Paul. Of course the current status quo will change but most of it in their favor. It is not like he will swoop in and clean out all of Congress, the Judiciary, the lobbyists, etc… The worst he will do to them is ending their ability to make money from constant warfare (which is a good thing). He will end the income tax for them, slash their regulations, keep free-trade going, will not punish them for past illegal activities, will not fix the commodities market, will end taxes on corporations, will not clamp down on their cheap imported labor, and no matter what Ron Paul says the Federal Reserve is not going anywhere.

I am sure there are other things a Libertarian – leaning government run by Ron Paul would do that is not in their direct favor, but look at everything else they are getting.

*This is not the ‘class warfare’ card either, I hate the idea of class warfare, I am just pointing out the obvious here.*

edit on 12/24/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I kind of thought like that at first, that billionaires should love Ron Paul since Ron wants to cut the corporate tax rates and reduce regulations but then I thought about it some more, Ron's overall platform is there to help the lower and middle class prosper, close in the gap between poor and wealthy and make the billionaires less rich.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by VonDoomen

As I stated in the linked thread.. the ultra wealthy are not usually concerned about making more money. They are more concerned with put people with the same interest as theirs into office. Once you reach billionaire status, there's really not much else you can strive for .. you can already buy anything and everything you could possibly want. Hence why so many billionaires, especially later in their life, just give huge chunks of their fortunes away.

Billionaires don't like Paul because Paul stands for the polar opposite of the type of society that they made their fortune in. Some may still be ambitious, but most are concerned about social policy, hence why the vast majority of billionaires vote for Neoncons and Democrats. Both left leaning economically, differing on social issues.

new topics

top topics

join