It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hollywood racism? New movie tells the "epic beard man" story -- but changes the races

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Does anyone remember the racially provcative, so-called "Epic Beard Man" incident in 2010? It featured a fight on a bus between an older white man and a younger black man, with the white man (a Vietnam veteran) emerging victorious.

The AC Transit Bus fight was an altercation between two men aboard a transit bus in Oakland, California, in the United States, which took place on February 15, 2010, at approximately 3:00 p.m EST. The fight, featuring 67-year-old Thomas A. Bruso, who became known as "Epic Beard Man" and a 50 year old black man named Michael was video taped and later uploaded to the video hosting website YouTube, where it became a viral video. As of September 12, 2010, the video has received over 4.7 million views on various blogs and websites. It ranked among the top five most viewed videos on YouTube in its first week, but was not included in the official list. Numerous racially charged comments were left on the YouTube page.

More at source: Wikipedia article on the incident

At the time it was a hot topic on ATS, and you can read the thread and see the video for yourself here:

ATS thread: "67 year old man beats the hell out of thug on bus"

And here is another piece on the incident, including a transctript (Warning: Strong language!)

Epic Beard Man: Know your meme

OK, so all this happened a while ago and you'd have thought the hubub would have died down...but here comes Hollywood to make a movie "based on a true story". Only this time, Hollywood has changed the races. "Epic Beard Man" is now a HISPANIC man beating up TWO WHITE SKINHEADS:

I find this troubling for many reasons. First of all there is the controversial nature of the original incident. What is gained bu stirring up racial strife just to make a buck on a movie? The whole thing shouldn't be the topic of a movie in the first place. Second, WHY CHANGE THE RACE? Because its "racist" for a white man to beat a black? Because the only acceptable Hollywood script is a white man being BEATEN by a minority? Why does Hollywood hate whites so much? And why are they trying to divide people of different races by making this film in the first place?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Never Despise

Hollywood is mostly run by Jewish people. That might explain the racism towards whites, but who can be sure. (watch how fast this is taken wrong)

As for this being a race issue, why? One man had an altercation with another man. A bunch of other people label it black vs white. Gimme a break and grow up people.
edit on 24-12-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Ummmm.....guys I think it's a spoof.

DISCLAIMER:
I have been known to be wrong on the odd occasion.....

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kryties
Ummmm.....guys I think it's a spoof.

DISCLAIMER:
I have been known to be wrong on the odd occasion.....

I thought so at first too because it's just so over the top...but no. Unfortunately, its real.

Here is the Internet Movie Database Page on it. Doesn't get much more real than this:

www.imdb.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
i dont understand how they can make a movie about an incident that was only a few minutes long at best 0_o

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hollywood is filled with dumba**** and ****tards.

Nothing they do surprises me.

I
D
T
S

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
First off, movies are just stories. This movie is not a docudrama, a documentary or even something REMOTELY resembling the story you bring up. It has EXPLODING BUSES! This is a Mexican "death wish" of sorts. The only similarity is the original bus ride and a dispute. Would you feel better if the races were the same, and all the cartoon killing and exploding buses were included?

What you fail to understand about how movies are made and marketed is that there are only a few stories - period. Second, any tiny piece of information that will differentiate the story from another will be exploited to sell it to the masses - YOU, so "based on a true story" is a loose term that helps sell. Lastly, what you also fail to understand is certain movies are made as "vehicles" for certain stars, as such, parts are REWRITTEN to accommodate the star. Danny is a former hardcore gang banger, a nice guy and a popular actor in the Latino world, those facts are combined with budget, available writer/director etc., to sell a movie.

While you may see every single effort as a race thing, some times there are other things at work. Having said that, if you were to look for the conspiracy in this film, and it was brought up by many in another Danny Trejo film (machete - spoofy film), you might look to why films that are divisive in the Latino community are being made. Then again, one could say an effort to make action films for the Latin american world are finally being made.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

LOL, that trailer is so lame. I can't believe they would go the length to make such a movie. I will definitely NOT be wasting my money to go see this. I honestly don't think Hollywood hates 'white' people though.

In other movies, I've seen Hollywood change the ethnicity of characters quite often, when they have no resemblance to the original whatsoever.
edit on 12/24/2011 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Yah I guess the guy who played him in the film is laughing all the way to the bank.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by XelNaga

Well, most new movies out of hollywood only have a few minutes of actual quality with the rest being filler and product placements. Seriously, new movies are crap now!

top topics

join