It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands surge into Moscow to challenge Kremlin

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

All Russia needs now is ACORN to help the community organizer, Putin, gain power!

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Putin just has a PR problem. If he's getting caught rigging elections he's not doing it right. Maybe he can pull Rahm Emanuel away from his fraudulent activities in Chicago to help run the scam...I mean election...properly. They can even get the Black Panthers there to ensure fairness at the poles.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Well, so if there is a crackdown will they call it fascism or communism? Because here in the states a crackdown is always called fascist by a segment of people.
For the people's sake I hope everyone is safe and no bad things happen.

On another thought, maybe the Pope finally consecrated Russia to the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

edit on 24-12-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
They can even get the Black Panthers there to ensure fairness at the poles.

Priceless

edit on 24-12-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
I agree with the sentiment, but what happens when two worlds collide? You've got the Kremlin and all the forces at its beck and call on the one side, and tens of thousands (-potentially millions-) of ordinary people experiencing the taste of peaceful protest for the first time in generations. Motivated by a sense of rank injustice.

Generations?

Those people overthrew their Communist rulers around 20 years ago.

Russian state TV totted up the votes in the Rostov region to a total of more than 146%. Even with Russia's patchy electoral history that's an impressive tally...

Oddly enough the latter element is Putin's ace card. He will use it to justify all manner of crackdowns. And get a lot of support from the older generation.

I had to laugh.

In Russia

Protesters are Putin supporters....

Or Else!

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
reply to post by steppenwolf86

I briefly read the thread and you've got a point there. I think the majority simply think that the US shouldn't be policing every country. Especially if Hillary Clinton is pushing for it.

I think Russia should try to handle their own issues. The US has its own problems and needs to keep its focus at home.

Oh don't worry, they will. Remember the submarine incident back around 2000? The one where they could hear the Soviet people banging on the submarine walls but Russia refused to ask the US for help rescuing them?
In fact, kind of reminds me of POTUS not asking others for help in the BP Oil spill.
edit on 24-12-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

No Putin post would be complete without Vladimir Putin on Tiger-Saving Mission...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

You have hit all the nails
on the head...

Putin has been running that country since he was
in office AND SINCE he left office..

He has been calling the shots for a while now
so slayer this behavior and the elections
outcome is not surprising at all.

ThAT saying he honestly earned all the votes
or it was all A BIG voter fraud MEMO....

Either way the bastard won' and I would be protesting
this dictator named putin..

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
back in the good old days, we only knew that the U.S. was the only superpower to worry about, noadays we have half a dozen nations with nukes hell bent on becoming the next empire...

while on duty

from russia with love, once in, your never out.

once in school in-fornt of the class i said, one day i will be the most powerful man in russia , who's laughing now bitches.
from russia with divine love

off duty but we all now the kgb never had terms as off duty..location..cough cough..yes we know...i mean i do and you dont.

quick break

edit on 24-12-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
back in the good old days, we only knew that the U.S. was the only superpower to worry about, noadays we have half a dozen nations with nukes hell bent on becoming the next empire...

Then..

Your good old days must not be very "Old" Did you completely forgot to read about the Entire Cold War and the Soviet Union, Eastern Europe/Warsaw Pact countries and Red China under Mao?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d73af0ffa3a1.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

ah, those were mere formalities for smaller nations to be pre-occupied with something.

edit on 24-12-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Generations?

Those people overthrew their Communist rulers around 20 years ago.

I said: "...tens of thousands (-potentially millions-) of ordinary people experiencing the taste of peaceful protest for the first time in generations."

What is happening now is quite different to that time. The people who went out on the streets then still lived in fear of institutionalised terror, and were met with tanks — as expected.

This is a whole new ball game. A generation has grown up that has seen liberal democracies in action, often first-hand, and a degree of freedom at home; enough to make them want a lot more. They know the world is watching, they are posting on YouTube, and they feel they can force the government into concessions without being mowed down.

Hopefully they are right. But in reality there may be enough hard-liners in the government to insist on an old-style crackdown. The whole point is the situation is very finely balanced. It is not impossible that the masses could rise on such a scale as to change the situation once and for all, but it could entail a terrible cost for some.

The taste of freedom akin to those who took part in the Arab Spring is the sign of an awakening, and it IS something not experienced for generations. Twenty years ago it was people who knew for certain they were taking their lives in their hands. And the demise of the Soviet Union was primarily the result of economic stagnation. What we are seeing today is people believing it is their right to protest, and to determine who will govern them.

And I have to say I'm surprised you mock the suggestion a crackdown is possible, despite the confident oversized type-size. I guarantee that even as we speak plans for intimidating and repressing the crowds are being laid that would make police actions in New York or London look meek.

(Whether they are implemented depends on whether the current momentum is sufficient to multiply the size of the protests exponentially.)

edit on 24/12/11 by pause4thought because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mkoll
reply to post by steppenwolf86

I would be mad if a foreign country wanted to investigate our elections as well

Yeah, it's pot call kettle black when we (U.S.) make a fuss about someone's else election business.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by cerebralassassins

se how easy it is for two super power to agree on everything, its the smaller nations that combined we are called upon to control and cage.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by pause4thought
The taste of freedom akin to those who took part in the Arab Spring is the sign of an awakening, and it IS something not experienced for generations. Twenty years ago it was people who knew for certain they were taking their lives in their hands. And the demise of the Soviet Union was primarily the result of economic stagnation. What we are seeing today is people believing it is their right to protest, and to determine who will govern them.

The US/West are supposed to be supporting the peoples right to protest their Government. right?. Except in Syria and Iran because then it would be considered a plot. Let's see how long those Russian protests last before their Government starts cracking skulls.

I doubt the Russians will let them camp out for weeks or months on end...

And I have to say I'm surprised you mock the suggestion a crackdown is possible, despite the confident oversized type-size. I guarantee that even as we speak plans for intimidating and repressing the crowds are being laid that would make police actions in New York or London look meek.

Mocking?

It was satyr because we all know what's going to happen next.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Mocking?

It was satyr because we all know what's going to happen next.

Sorry, my friend. I don't often find myself on the other side of the fence to you, but I felt I had to pull you up there. I misread you, clearly.

You know if history really is the key to understanding what happens next, this will lead to far greater centralization of power and an ever tighter control of the media / elections.

Rarely do nations break free of history.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   
Breaking news on Fox, Gorbachev calling on Putin to step down.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Do you know who won the elections?

Communist hardliner Zygunov.

Second most popular among youngsters?

neo-nazis and Nazbols.

First?

Communists.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

gorbachev is a hated man in Russia.Putin is regarded as ineffective leader.Support is in Zygunov's court.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join