It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious nodding syndrome spreading through Uganda

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Mysterious nodding syndrome spreading through Uganda

www.newscientist.com

Large areas of northern Uganda are experiencing an outbreak of nodding syndrome, a mysterious disease that causes young children and adolescents to nod violently when they eat food. The disease, which may be an unusual form of epilepsy, could be linked to the parasitic worm responsible for river blindness, a condition that affects some 18 million people, most of them in Africa.

The current outbreaks are concentrated in the districts of Kitgum, Pader and Gulu. In Pader alone, 66 children and teenagers have died. More than 1000 cases were diagnosed between August and mid-December.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
io9.com
www.upi.com

edit on 24-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Onchocerca volvulus

The article goes on to say :

Onchocerca volvulus, a nematode worm that causes river blindness, is known to infest all three affected districts. Nearly all the children with nodding syndrome are thought to live near permanent rivers, another hint of a connection with river blindness.

The link is not clear cut, though. "We know that [Onchocerca volvulus] is involved in some way, but it is a little puzzling because [the worm] is fairly common in areas that do not have nodding disease," says Scott Dowell, who researches paediatric infectious diseases and is lead investigator into nodding syndrome with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

There is no known cure for nodding syndrome, so Uganda's Ministry of Health has begun using anticonvulsants such as sodium valproate to treat its signs and symptoms. Meanwhile the disease is continuing to spread, say Janet Oola, Pader's health officer, and Sam William Oyet, the district's medical entomology officer.

Yet another crazy mysterious disease is sweeping through Africa and it seems that yet again this one has no cure at this point in time. Seems that there is never any rest for the Africans. This is not great news just before Christmas, lets hope they can figure out a link and start working on getting this under control quickly before it spreads any further.

www.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm struggling to understand why this would be under breaking ALTERNATIVE news. I guess because it has a catchy headline and isn't exactly the common cold! Unlike most here, I lived in Uganda. It's Africa and they have a whole host of diseases you don't find in more northern climes, including some nasty parasytical infections.
If the government there spend just half the trillions they receive each year in aid on improving infrastructure etc, Uganda would be a different place.
Nor do I understand the comment about it not being good news just before Christmas. It's only 'news' to us. It started in August.
edit on 24-12-2011 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by starchild10
I'm struggling to understand why this would be under breaking ALTERNATIVE news. I guess because it has a catchy headline and isn't exactly the common cold! Unlike most here, I lived in Uganda. It's Africa and they have a whole host of diseases you don't find in more northern climes.

It's always interesting to see what people get used to and come to accept as part of the scenery. Something tells me a majority of the Americans I personally know would end up running into the horizon, screaming in terror within a week of being in Africa or many parts of the world for that matter.

It seems the more I read and learn about other places, the more I come to realize the United States is rather special in that we have precious few things of any type in nature looking to kill us here. Odd how that came to be...especially with parasitic beasties like this one. It's not like they could ever have been 'hunted to oblivion' the way the furry version of predators were here. Oh well...

edit on 24-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
perhaps the 'nodding' is not from a river dwelling parasite...
maybe mega- pharmaceutical corps are saturating the local environment with experimental doses of a HCL type of RX...

i know i get the 'Nods' after taking a Antivert medication... i will find myself to be in an almost narcolepsy state and almost break my neck in snapping-out of a head Nod

Narcolepsy or sleeping sickness is a sleep disorder and sufferers don't realise how sleepy they are or how often they fall asleep. There are over 3 million reported cases of narcolepsy and it's recognised in men and women of all ages. However the symptoms are often first noticed in teenagers and young adults in their 20s and early 30s.
www.sleep-disorders.org.uk...

the nodding may be a symptom of the narcolepsy, just like the nodding is a symptom of a medication reaction from me...
perhaps too much emphasis is placed on the nodding instead of the real cause of distress/disease
(whatever that may be)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I wonder of there is any connection to the teens over here who have the turrets like syndrome?That too is recent....The situation seems to be accellerating so im hoping they get to the root of the problem sooner than later....

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Yeah, I had a reaction to a neuroleptic I took not too long ago for anti-nausea. Apparently I was allergic and I couldn't control my neck movement for 12 hours. Started while I was in class too...

Most painful experience of my life, seriously.

My guess here is something environmental or a virus releasing something in their brains during the breakdown of food? Interesting...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
It is amazing the amount of unusual illnesses that develop
in this part of the world..
and I would agree that this area very well may be experimental site for chem companies,
lots of expendable hosts.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
May God, and/or goodness cure them.

That's all I can offer other than I bet this isn't a "natural" disease. More lab experiments sponsored by "them".

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
I'm no expert, but wouldn't a massive well drilling project solve a lot of these problems?

With the amount of international aid and revenue from big oil there should be more than enough money to get it done.

I read a few years ago that if the cure for AIDS was a glass of clean water something like 70% of the continent wouldn't have access to the cure.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I really hope they find some sort of cure/or medicine to help these children , no child should have to suffer like this.we have all these large pharmaceuticle companys testing god knows what drugs on us , cant they find a cure to get rid of this dam worm in africa and do some good?Maybe then children wouldnt have to suffer.

edit on 24-12-2011 by imnothereru because: dam bad spelling sosrry

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by imnothereru

I really hope they find some sort of cure/or medicine to help these children , no child should have to suffer like this.we have all these large pharmaceuticle companys testing god knows what drugs on us , cant they find a cure to get rid of this dam worm in africa and do some good?Maybe then children wouldnt have to suffer.

edit on 24-12-2011 by imnothereru because: dam bad spelling sosrry

As long as there is no financial wealth amongst the african population do not expect any big efforts made by big pharma industries in diseases appearing only in that locale.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

When you crap were you eat and bath it's no wonder why mystery disease's pop up. India is another country that comes to mind were the land has not failed the people the people have failed the land.

The ironic thing is they cant figure it out they just keep crapping right in front of there house or in the river they bath and wash dishes in.

edit on 24-12-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

It seems the more I read and learn about other places, the more I come to realize the United States is rather special in that we have precious few things of any type in nature looking to kill us here.

Except we have nodding politician disease where we are promised one thing and yet get nothing in return.
Compared to Mercury this is a great planet too so I wouldn't idolize the USA that much.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

When you crap were you eat and bath it's no wonder why mystery disease's pop up. India is another country that comes to mind were the land has not failed the people the people have failed the land.

The ironic thing is they cant figure it out they just keep crapping right in front of there house or in the river they bath and wash dishes in.

edit on 24-12-2011 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

I'm going to do some rough arithmetic here but I think if every single million and billionaire gave 100-stinking dollars that they don't need, I have a feeling these world problems would dissipate greatly.
It blows my mind that I drive by all these billionaire homes along A1A here in south Florida and yet people are still starving.

I am a paycheck to paycheck survivor myself but if I have cash/coins available when I see a panhandler, I always give them money. To me it's just the humanitarian thing to do!
edit on 25-12-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Seems like preventative medicine would be the best medicine, given what they seem to know so far. The easiest way would be educating people about waterborne parasites and why water for drinking and bathing should be boiled before use. Fuel for such purpose might be limited, but something like a solar oven should work ok in that part of the world.

Too late for some, but not all. Education is still important. Of course you'll still have people who don't care or are negligent. At least knowing how they got sick will be less of a mystery then.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by starchild10
I'm struggling to understand why this would be under breaking ALTERNATIVE news. I guess because it has a catchy headline and isn't exactly the common cold! Unlike most here, I lived in Uganda. It's Africa and they have a whole host of diseases you don't find in more northern climes.

It's always interesting to see what people get used to and come to accept as part of the scenery. Something tells me a majority of the Americans I personally know would end up running into the horizon, screaming in terror within a week of being in Africa or many parts of the world for that matter.

It seems the more I read and learn about other places, the more I come to realize the United States is rather special in that we have precious few things of any type in nature looking to kill us here. Odd how that came to be...especially with parasitic beasties like this one. It's not like they could ever have been 'hunted to oblivion' the way the furry version of predators were here. Oh well...

edit on 24-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

i think africa should be used aa a punishment prison from criminals.

what do you think.could reform them.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm happy for every diseas in africa. It's called population control, people, and who are better subjects for euthanization than the africans?!
This nodding disease might be a blessing for the west.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

You beat me to it. I watched the video and it looks exactly like cataplectic seizure. I have narcolepsy and back in the day I got severe seizures every day. That's what it looks like. Perhaps the emotional trigger is somehow linked to eating. Not sure how that part works thought.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join