It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 99
<< 96  97  98    100  101  102 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
i'm in christchurch and felt the 4.6, 10km deep..

although it was stronger than the aftershocks we've been getting in the last six-ish months, it is not out of the ordinary when considering the predicted pattern of aftershocks by geologists here, which says we could get them for the next couple years at least, gradually getting smaller and further apart over time..

i bloody hope their right!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Good Lord!

Just got online and checked USGS first thing.

What a day! Things are jumpin all over.
How often are there 2 8+ quakes in the same place on the same day???

And Mexico, and Oregon.

YIKES!

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Here's another headbanger. South America. Nada. Nothing. Bascially. It's just sleeping there. My son emailed me and asked me which day had I told him they'd be a large quake. I knew something was coming. But so did many of you here did. There's one in particular that is remarkable. But they sent it private so I won't repeat it.

Amazingly, for all that explosive powerful that just wobbled the entire planet several times over, I'm finding very few reports of damage and I haven't heard about deaths. I'm sure there's a few just because of hazards and heart attacks. So this means with all that fury, humanity remains unscathed. Why? Water. And locations. The faults did produce big waves and the epicenters weren't under cities. Whew.

I try not to predict and react only by my gut. But I'll be honest. I always am. I'm terrified about a Cascadia earthquake. My mom is going to the coast this month.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Puterman, I know you posted a while back that up until the most recent quakes, that the energy released figures for the year to date, were much lower than for the same time last year...is that still the current case or are we starting to catch-up, or still a long way behind, given the significant quakes over the last 24 hours?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
dont mean to sound stupid but how does one know what is a fore shock- earthquake- aftershock?

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Now one just off of Rhode Island...certainly being shared around in last 24 hours.

Type: Earthquake
42 minutes ago
Magnitude: 4.5
DateTime: Thursday April 12 2012, 02:29:41 UTC
Region: North Atlantic Ocean
Depth: 15.8 km
Source: USGS Feed

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Can't see PuterMan being awake still, but any seismic chiefs wanna scout this one for me?

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 4.5
Date-Time
Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 02:29:41 UTC
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 10:29:41 PM at epicenter

Location 41.998°N, 65.994°W
Depth 15.8 km (9.8 miles)
Region NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN
Distances 203 km (126 miles) S of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada
290 km (180 miles) SSW of Bridgewater, Nova Scotia, Canada

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Historical Seismicity

What could it mean? It's too close to me and those I know in NS.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I don't know folks, been almost knocked out for the past few weeks with the quake headache - posted Here. Thought with the Sumatra quakes this morning it would ease - - but no - I was okay for a little while now it's back in full force. I don't think it's over - sorry that this maybe the wrong thread for this sort of post but --- idk foreshocks? Something is out of sorts in a big way.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by autopat51

Current (known) technology does not allow distinguishing between foreshocks and normal seismicity.

There are several studies going on around the globe to try and tease these signals out of the "noise" of background seismic activity:

About 40 percent of moderate to large earthquakes are preceded by nearby quakes that strike hours or days ahead of the main shock. Many are small and not clearly recorded. But Dodge devised a system to look at a set of foreshocks as an ensemble and refine the measurements of their properties. The result is an accurate view of the geometry of the foreshock sequence - pinpointing the epicenter of each earthquake and the orientation of its slip relative to the main shock.

Stanfdord study on foreshocks

Mainshocks are obviously the larges quake of a series and then aftershocks are those that take place within a certain time frame and distance from the mainshock:

The first earthquake is usually the worst, but aftershocks, or more earthquakes, may follow. Aftershocks usually occur within the next two days, but have also been recorded to happen for years. Their size, strength, and frequency usually diminish with time. (Incidentally, there is also such a thing as a foreshock, a small tremor that comes before a major earthquake.)

Aftershocks

Apologies if someone already answered, but I was interrupted whilst crafting this post,.

ETA

see all this post on page 35 of this thread by Puterman for a more detailed explanation of aftershocks.
edit on 11-4-2012 by jadedANDcynical because: added another link

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
The weird string of intraplate quakes continues. Mag 4.8 Utah 0.8 km depth

Originally posted by PuterMan

I know that it did not happen in 2004, but I shall take a look further back as see if this pattern has been seen before. I don't believe it has but I shall check it out tomorrow.

If you find the time, PM, but I don't expect any pattern to turn up. Maybe if we add in the parameters of ridiculously low solar activity, while creeping toward solar maximum, and 1 day post-perigee with the moon, something will turn up.

edit on 4/11/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/11/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Ah, thank you for this thread. I am following closely.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Utah joins the party! Very SHALLOW quake here...

Magnitude 4.8
Date-Time

Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 03:29:22 UTC
Wednesday, April 11, 2012 at 09:29:22 PM at epicenter

Location 37.806°N, 112.100°W
Depth 0.8 km (~0.5 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region UTAH
Distances

20 km (13 miles) N (357°) from Tropic, UT
27 km (17 miles) N (351°) from Cannonville, UT
28 km (18 miles) NNW (341°) from Henrieville, UT
208 km (129 miles) ENE (57°) from Mesquite, NV
328 km (204 miles) S (183°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.8 km (0.5 miles); depth +/- 5.6 km (3.5 miles)
Parameters NST= 40, Nph= 40, Dmin=27 km, Rmss=0.45 sec, Gp= 83°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=1
Source

University of Utah Seismograph Stations

Event ID uu00009847

SOURCE

Appears to be in the middle of nowhere so maybe only some mountain hillbillies affected

Anyone know if it's a 'volcanic' region, as being so shallow makes me wonder?
edit on 11-4-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Honestly, this is one of the best, most informative threads I have ever seen on ATS. Thank you guys for your hard work and attentiveness. I'm in Arkansas at the end of the New Madrid watching and waiting.

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
For sure is getting interesting... needless to say it has been an active day all over the globe... kinda excited to see where the action will be next... the bay area of California has been long overdue for a big one.... i wonder how all these larger eq's effect that area??

posted on Apr, 11 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by larrydavid84
Honestly, this is one of the best, most informative threads I have ever seen on ATS. Thank you guys for your hard work and attentiveness. I'm in Arkansas at the end of the New Madrid watching and waiting.

I feel for your worry man, having experienced bad-times during the Christchurch earthquakes...just make sure that you are prepared for any possible event, as this is just one of the most 'interesting' 24 hour earthquake periods I've seen, since joining ATS several years ago.

Get the feeling that we are in for more surprises yet.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
*pops head in door*

Ahhh, you're all still here then

Some bleary eyes here today after a busy night!!!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
yellowstone vibrates nice with the seismic waves....

www.isthisthingon.org...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Starting to be interresting here now. Many quite big qakes in a short time. What's next?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
M7.1 - Santa Isabel, Mexico
2012-04-12 07:15:51 UTC
DYFI? - VI

new topics

top topics

<< 96  97  98    100  101  102 >>

join