It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 255
<< 252  253  254    256  257  258 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
This will probably get lost in the hoo-hah about the Canada quake, but I need to post it and move on.
Cracked the Italian INGV web site database today, got interested after the Court Case as to what was actually happening over there
Um well lots actually, got 1380 events just for October and there is still 3 days to go
I was mainly interested in the 5.0 in Calabria the other day,
here is Oct, centred on the 5.0 goo.gl...
zoom out and have a look around, there are little swarms all over the place, L'Aqulla still twitching, as is Emilia-Romagna

I'll go ahead and split those Pollino quakes into fore and after shocks and do a page on it during the week.

Geez that was a battle, finally got the page up, 8 interactive maps, I went back to 2010 and covered a few more swarms in that spot.
455 aftershocks since the 5.0ML, up to 1/11/2012 20:43 where I downloaded the data to.

This is a prime example why those geologists should not be prosecuted over there in Italy, here is an area where they previously had 2 other swarms in the last 2 years with similar numbers of quakes and same sized
magnitudes in them, but they didn't result in a Mag 5 quake then

oops forgot the link to the Pollino, Cosenza, Italy 5.0ML 25/10/2012, Fore and After Shocks page

I see Google Maps "Map" type is now partly got Terrain in it now
edit on 2-11-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I love hot springs, who doesn't (don't answer that). Look what the big Canadian quake did to the Hot Spring on Haida Gwaii.

news.nationalpost.com...

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Nevermind answered it myself.
edit on 3-11-2012 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   
reply to post by SeekingDepth

Mm, I think I would be a little concerned about that.

I have never been in a hot spring pool and anyway they involve water and I don't like water much! (I nearly drowned as a boy and have never been too keen on the stuff since)

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
A very interesting update on Volcano Cafe about the Tjornes fracture zone in Iceland. Some superb graphics using Igor Pro 6.2 ($595
)

Also in that post

Iceland is experiencing another strong gale with gusts up to 250km/h in the north.

Sort of makes Sandy a bit of a pussycat if that is correct.

From the Icelandic Met office site:

North 15 to 23 m/s. Some snowshowers in the south, snow in other parts but sleet or rain by the northeast and east coast. Considerable precipitation in north and east parts. Slowly decreasing wind and precipitation in the afternoon, first in the northwest. Turns to westerly wind tomorrow, first in the west and clearing for awhile. Frost widely 0 to 5 degrees C, but above zero degrees by the east coast. Becoming warmer tomorrow.

Assuming that is sustained speeds that is 83km/hr or just under 52mph. Not exactly 250 km/hr (156 mph) so I don't know where that came from but maybe it was yesterday, but to stir up volcanic deposits it would have to be very strong.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
The only query I am trying to learn, concerns the sub-surface Heat, that leads to Magma. Does this eventually build a reason answered as a Volcano with maybe a few prior Earthquakes ??? I have now written to a uk university to see if they have genuine books that I can purchase and read.
Thank You.
Can still think how some yet not detected oscillation is happening.

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Muzzy, it looks like to me that since the Queen Charlotte quakes that the whole of the west coast faults are now moving together. Do you see anything like that when you look at the EQ list?

posted on Nov, 3 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by prophetboy12

I hadn't noticed that.
All the quakes on the Canadian site since the 7.7 have been at Haida Qwaii on the Continental Convergent Boundry (USGS Plate Boundries KML) except for one off NW Vancouver island near the Subduction Zone
2012/10/28 14:46:03 50.79 -129.78 10.0 4.3 No 166 km W of Pt. Hardy,BC

I haven't really looked at that aftershock series yet, letting the dust settle, it seems USGS are recording a lot more than NRCAN, but those are likely to be revised, moved or deleted or more added as time goes on.
I notice NRCAN have that 2nd USGS 6.2Mw /5.8mb as
2012/10/30 02:48:58 52.13 -132.32 18.6 5.6 No 129 km SSW of Sandspit,BC
I can't get the NRCAN "Mag" header query to open on my browser, so not sure what their list is in.
QVS Data Pro NRCAN list show it as ML and the earlier 6.3 in mb

At least Geonet and NOA (Greece) are consistent and everything on their lists is in ML so you can compare each events size apples with apples

Puterman or WestCoast might be able to answer your question better.

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
5.4 earthquake, 11km N of Lluta, Peru. Nov 4 01:37 at epicenter ( depth 90km)

2012-11-04 06:37:34 UTC
2012-11-04 01:37:34 UTC-05:00 at epicenter
2012-11-04 01:37:34 UTC-05:00 system time

Nearby Cities
11km (7mi) N of Lluta, Peru
74km (46mi) NW of Arequipa, Peru
108km (67mi) NE of Camana, Peru
123km (76mi) N of Mollendo, Peru
418km (260mi) W of La Paz, Bolivia

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
My take on the Queen Charlotte Is. Canada, 2012-10-28, 7.7Mw and aftershocks
page here
The only consensus is that it was a 7.7 Mw/Ms
otherwise, the mainshock location and the aftershock locations ( and number of) are all different
RAS and USGS have the Main shock on Moresby Island, whereas GFZ, RAS, NRCAN and GCMT have it offshore west of the Continental Convergent Boundry
I'll add some more text and an earthquake history map when I get time

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Any of you notice that when there is an EQ in Queen Charlotte there is a also an EQ in the Virgin Islands, either right before it or after.

Also the 3 mont Virgin Island swarm slowed down quite a bit just before the big 7.7 in Queen Charlotte.

Is this a coincidence worth exploring?

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
If anyones interested, we just had a 5.7 over at Honshu, Japan.

I always get a little curious when things get that big over there. I know there will be aftershocks for years.

edit on 4-11-2012 by crappiekat because: sp

posted on Nov, 4 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

If Japan has a big one, the West Coast should take it as a warning to prepare if they have time. If California or West Coast gets a big one, NY will probably be next.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Observationalist

what list you looking at?
USGS 7 days I guess.
The Puerto Rico Trench is nutting off constantly, I haven't looked specifically at the data for Oct PR yet, will get around to it by the end of the week and see if you are right.
Thing is if USGS put New Zealand"s data in there as well, there would be a NZ quake just about in between every other quake on the list, doesn't mean they are related in any way

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Either I'm not very observant in the northeast, or is this one in a bit of an odd spot? o.O

2.0 4km SSE of Ringwood, New Jersey 2012-11-05 01:19:11 41.075°N 74.222°W 5.0
Map: earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

All that water above is causing havoc below. It has to go somewhere and the NY area is heavy with caverns, Only 2 miles deep. Is the water above seeping below going to be the basis for a permanent water way?

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
reply to post by Observationalist

what list you looking at?
USGS 7 days I guess.
The Puerto Rico Trench is nutting off constantly, I haven't looked specifically at the data for Oct PR yet, will get around to it by the end of the week and see if you are right.
Thing is if USGS put New Zealand"s data in there as well, there would be a NZ quake just about in between every other quake on the list, doesn't mean they are related in any way

I use and app that I have set to filter out small quakes, so I see only 2.0 and higher quakes on my list. So more accurate statement would be that when ther is a 2.0 or higher in the Qeens Islands area, ther is a 2.0 or higher in the Virgin Island/ Puerto Rico area.

I would be curious if there was an EQs swarm in the Puerot Rico trench before the 1949 Queen Islands 8.1.

I'm not sure how to get accurate data on this, but am willing to research if you think there is a relationship there that is significant.

posted on Nov, 5 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I think the reservoirs filling up may have something to do with that New Jersey quake.

Colorado just chimed in. I like the odds, and would place a bet, that Virginia is not long in replying.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

www.thedailybeast.com...

edit on 5-11-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 252  253  254    256  257  258 >>

join