It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 209
<< 206  207  208    210  211  212 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Here is a list of ALL California quakes since August 20:

www.data.scec.org...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
THIS doesn't make me feel any better at all...

twitter.com...

Earthquake Forecasts ‏@Quakeprediction We are very concerned about the extremely high earthquake risk in the San Francisco Bay. New forecast map;

www.quakeprediction.com...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by berkeleygal
THIS doesn't make me feel any better at all...

twitter.com...

Earthquake Forecasts ‏@Quakeprediction We are very concerned about the extremely high earthquake risk in the San Francisco Bay. New forecast map;

www.quakeprediction.com...

I dont like the looks of that colorful mapper... Im planning on goin to a SF game on my bday in sept, I dont even wanna go until that earthquake is done with.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by dayve

yeah, you are in the green at 40 there in Chico, I am in the red at 97 here in Berkeley!

don't think I will sleep at all tonight...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Tsunami warning remains in effect for Costa Rica, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala, Panama, Mexico after quake -

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
How can you tell from that quake watch site what the magnitude of a quake is when the thing scribbles.. ?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

Isaac is weather related and earthquakes are geological events, so I don't think they are connected.

There is a tsunami warning in effect for central America and Mexico, which just had a quake of 5.4

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Several hours ago, USGS had a San Francisco quake listed with a magnitude of "?".

The next time I checked, it wasn't listed at all.

Also, what's going on here? earthquake.usgs.gov... The whole USA, the Americas plural and other places from Greenland to all the Caribean etc. is running a lot of black ink. Does the California/Baja Mexico border earthquake storm make all of those others all the way to Greenland and Cuba go off the chart? Thanks!

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:48 AM
link   
The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center cancels tsunami warnings for Central American countries issued after the El Salvador earthquake -

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

errr, what the hell is happening there?

all the graphs are going spastic..

... is that some really minature scale or something? could someone please educate us plebs on these graphs?

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Wasn't sure, it just didn't convert to a 7.4/7.3

now I've seen it on LISS yep it was pretty big
LISS Global

now changed to;
mb = 6.0 (318) ML = 5.6 ( 7) mblg = 4.7 ( 9) MS = 7.0 (677)on usgs phase data

certainly picking up on that side of the Pacific
very quiet on this side,
this is the entire list since last Wednesday for the whole of NZ
Day Mags
22 3.932 (Puysegur Bank)
22 2.076
22 1.865
22 1.348
24 2.747
25 4.126 (Mayor Islnd, BOP)
25 2.806
25 2.871
25 3.372
25 1.493
25 2.339
25 3.603
26 1.91
27 3.962 (Hanmer)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

they are all showing the same quake(s)
6.5's will show world wide (with varying degrees of wiggle depending how far away the station was), 7's for sure will cover the whole graph everywhere on the planet..
edit on 27-8-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Look for a quake in San Fran ...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Magnitude: 5.3
DateTime: Monday August 27 2012, 09:01:23 UTC
Region: northern Sumatra, Indonesia
Depth: 151.2 km
Source: USGS Feed

Event Time
2012-08-27 09:01:23 UTC
2012-08-27 16:01:23 UTC+07:00 at epicenter
2012-08-27 05:01:23 UTC-04:00 system time
Nearby Cities
32km (20mi) SSE of Parapat, Indonesia
64km (40mi) S of Pematangsiantar, Indonesia
74km (46mi) NNE of Sibolga, Indonesia
90km (56mi) WNW of Bandar, Indonesia
310km (193mi) WSW of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
edit on 27-8-2012 by kennvideo because: info

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by sageturkey

I think that in this case, either thread will do. QW is good for maintaining the general flow of discussion and TA's new thread is there if any of us want to discuss specifics that might even go a little OT. (eg, talk that is more focused on volcanoes and their general behaviour rather than quakes related to them.)

About posting two replies within one: no problem with doing that.
In fact I've often done it and never had any issues with the mods about it. (For people reading this in future I'm only a very new mod right now.) In my opinion it's good as it keeps posts down and especially in a busy thread that can be an advantage. It's especially useful if we want to reply to two or more members' posts that are about the same subject matter.

By the way, the above is not a moderating instruction!
I'm just giving my opinion, but at the same time I can assure you that in the last five years or so that I've been a member here, I've not seen any cases of mods coming down on people just for doing two replies in one post.

Regards,

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
I could not get on to ATS yesterday due to some curious problem with some tracking system they employ. I tried to disable the tracking but that did not work either so I gave up and continued working on the program.

Now I find you have all been partying again have mag 7's while I sleep and swarming all over California.

I think I would probably agree with TA that the California swarm may well be volcanic being all centred on the Brawley Seismic Zone fault, and showing the sort of shape you might expect from an intrusion, were it not for the fact that they are not showing the depth pattern, in my opinion, for a dyke intrusion. The trend on the depths is actually deepening not shallowing (if there is such a word). Here is the past 7 days depths for Southern California.

In addition they are all over the place whereas dyke intrusion tends to cause quakes in a fairly narrow band I believe from studying known intrusions in Iceland.

There is no previous history of deeper quake swarms as the magma pushes up. Going back 1000 days of "southern california" quakes (which bear in mind contains some from the Baja episode, I found the trend the same - not sure what the indicates!

So in view of the fact that this is at the junction between the Brawley fault and the convergent plate boundary I am sticking to tectonic origin, Let me know when the fissure eruption starts.

I have collected the ANSS data for a 50km diameter section around Brawley

delta=32.99,-115.57,0,25 was the parameters used

Whilst the depth trend is apparently up, the current episode is deeper which makes it tectonic in my opinion.

I will post some numbers shortly but so far as I am counting up it looks as if this is a 7 or 8 year occurrence that lasts about 12 months, but don't quote me on that until I have finished.

edit on 27/8/2012 by PuterMan because: To add more "stuff" 'cos "stuff" is good.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by berkeleygal

Hi Berkeleygal,

just to put things in perspective, the owner of that site has been posting maps like that for years now and his lists of predictions along with them. He sometimes even alters the predictions more than once within the same day and basically just keeps moving the goalposts (so to speak) in the hope of eventually hitting a big one. Obviously, he will eventually and then he'll be claiming he predicted it. He just won't mention the literally hundreds of other predictions he's made with their high percentage of likelihood and which never happened...

A couple of years or so back I kept records on his daily posts and put them in the Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction thread and there was little doubt that his "method" was just what I've stated above. If you want I can find some of the posts and link them for you.

Naturally, whenever things hot up a little it drives a lot of trafic to his site, but frankly I wouldn't consider him any sort of reliable source.

Just my 2c

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 27/8/12 by JustMike because: darned mod coding thing...

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

A couple of years or so back I kept records on his daily posts and put them in the Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction thread and there was little doubt that his "method" was just what I've stated above. If you want I can find some of the posts and link them for you.

Likewise I have tracked a few of his 'rediction' but gave up as a bad job. It just was not worth the effort trying to keep it up. I guess however that Berkeleygal knows I have no time for that site

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

I'm expecting there to be a bumpy ride in many places during the last 4 months of the year (rather than previous two where most energy was released during first few months.

Whilst statistically there is quite a bit of activity towards the end of the year, and I am not saying that you are wrong, bear in mind we are 2/3rds of the way through the year and have had 1/3rd of the number of mag 7s so either we are are going to have many fewer than last year which is my feeling or that is going to be more than a bumpy ride!

I mean, you just get the feeling that something BIG is due to really shake or blow somewhere soon in North America!

Do you? Only if you are thinking Cascadia as far as I am concerned.

Final note, even supposedly EXTINCT volcanoes have apparently been wakening up, along with a site load of others every week!

What is the definition of extinct? Generally taken to mean volcanoes that have not erupted in the Holcene era I believe and is not expected to erupt again. Yes confirmed my feeling and......

An extinct volcano would be one that nobody expects to ever erupt again. These are human definitions of natural things – there have been a number of eruptions from “extinct” volcanoes!

Source

In terms of a 24 hour life span for earth one second is 52,000 years yet that is only 1/86,400 th of the Earth's day. I believe that a volcano is not extinct until it has been weathered away, let alone 11,000 years (about 200 microseconds) and all on the say so of humans who only knew anything about such things in any detail in the past 2 or 3 microseconds!

edit on 27/8/2012 by PuterMan because: Green decoration was required.

posted on Aug, 27 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Another one:

Magnitude: 4.7
DateTime: Monday August 27 2012, 10:59:40 UTC
Region: off the coast of El Salvador
Depth: 20.6 km
Source: USGS Feed

Event Time
2012-08-27 10:59:40 UTC
2012-08-27 04:59:40 UTC-06:00 at epicenter
2012-08-27 06:59:40 UTC-04:00 system time