It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 204
<< 201  202  203    205  206  207 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Here is a good read... www.usatoday.com...

There is a lot of news in 2009 and in 2011 I believe because the area was swarming then but it seems as though it was not swarming at all like today. I'm still looking.

"As long as it stays underground, I'm not afraid," Jimmy Mason said. "But if anything starts bubbling or popping, I'll be out of here quick."

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

This is when we need a good number-cruncher (and a dual-monitor setup).
The intensity and frequency of this swarm just looks high to me, but nothing at all Northwards on the San Andreas at this point. It will be interesting to find out if it's unprecedented as far as those 2 factors go.

The question is now burning in my head, tectonic or volcanic?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The Southern California Earthquake Data Center has a list and map here that's updating pretty regularly.

I can only give an opinion based upon my imperfect memory, but this series of quakes has to be one of the more impressive swarms I've seen in that region in quite a while. Just in the past few hours (since around midday local time there) there have been 26 quakes of mag 3.0 or bigger, including a 4.0, 4.6, 5.3, 4.9, 4.3, 5.4, and another 4.3.

Those, along with the many smaller ones, adds up to quite a lot of energy release. Later, I expect Puterman can make up a graph to show what it works out as if converted to a single quake, but I'm guessing it would be close to a mag 6.0 or thereabouts.

The worry as I see it is not so much just about this location around Brawley, but the remote possibility of other release further N - NW along the fault system. It's impossible to say if anything major will result but in this case I have to agree that it's worth keeping an eye on.

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by sageturkey

Probably tectonic, even as shallow as they are. You don't see many 5.4's around volcanoes usually. A measurement in google earth indicates the Salton Buttes volcanic field is about 21 km away from the center of the swarm activity.

At this link you can read about the Brawley seismic zone:
geohazards.usgs.gov...

It is probably just more crustal spreading activity on the fault. The area is known for it. No one freak out until I do please.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Ok well let me know before you freak out so I can be prepared to then freak out. Lol

Thanks in advance.

It's concerning..... Looking.

Oh and thanks Mike, was wondering where y'all were.
edit on 26-8-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   
I think I just heard a collective sigh as Mike and T.A. posted.
We're like a bunch of kids who just heard a noise in the basement and we're waiting for dad to say "It's ok kids"

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Hi TA,

glad for your input.
I'm pretty much in agreement with you here, and for the same reason vis-a-vis quake size and volcanics. Tectonic seems more likely. On the other hand, there could be an interactive volcanic element, I guess. (There are hot springs not far from there, if I read it right.)

reply to post by MamaJ

Hi Mama,

I've been away a fair bit as I've had vacation so we've been away in the country whenever possible. But looks like I came back at an opportune time.

Pity it's already nearly midnight here... But oh well... I don't have to get up early, sooo...

Mike

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

edit on 26/8/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sageturkey
We're like a bunch of kids who just heard a noise in the basement and we're waiting for dad to say "It's ok kids"

Well? Whatcha want me to say? That Cali is about to explode in two pieces?

:shk:

These could be late tectonic reactions to stress redistributions from the big quake that happened there a year or two ago. I got my eyes on it, with seismos open. I got a read on amplitudes, so I have an idea for future ones in the swarm. Actually, it's a good time to revive my INCOMING! thread, so I can guess the mag's- so if you see it pop up in recent posts, check it out. I'll report anything worthwhile there with a mag estimate.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

EDIT: aha! Been waiting on a particular network to come in, and it just did... So I am up close and personal now with this activity.
edit on Sun Aug 26th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sageturkey

And I've been staring at all those quakes coming in and thinking, "Where's John Vidale? Where's Puterman??"

But seriously, while things are more than likely not going to worsen, when the earth does something a bit out of the norm for a given region, it's wise to at least take notice. Not panic, but at least be aware and a little wary. And for people in regions nearby that could be affected if things do get worse, it's also wise to do a quick stocktake and make sure everything's in order -- just in case.

Mike

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:01 PM
link   

As well.
Just added your thread to my favorites, I had seen a post from you about it previously but hadn't taken a look yet.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
From earthquake-report.com...

Update 21:44 UTC - The last comparable seismic swarm in Brawley dates from 1970. Another one occurred in the 1930′s - Some buildings in Brawley were evacuated after the first stronger quakes. People will probably stay outside for a while which is good in case other even stronger quakes would strike. - The Brawley zone is a complex seismic area of smaller faults. The San Andreas main Fault runs from near Palm Springs to enter Mexico just west of Yuma.

This is good to know so we can compare...

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
From earthquake-report.com...

Update 21:44 UTC - The last comparable seismic swarm in Brawley dates from 1970. Another one occurred in the 1930′s - Some buildings in Brawley were evacuated after the first stronger quakes. People will probably stay outside for a while which is good in case other even stronger quakes would strike. - The Brawley zone is a complex seismic area of smaller faults. The San Andreas main Fault runs from near Palm Springs to enter Mexico just west of Yuma.

This is good to know so we can compare...

Uh huh.

The whole area is active. Palm Springs - - Yucca Valley - - El Centro - - Mexicali - - Yuma AZ.

The Palm Springs area is more built up then surrounding areas - - - but most of that is "fairly new" and was built with earthquake guidelines. I don't think there are any skyscrapers in Palm Springs. (I could be wrong).

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

reply to post by MamaJ

Now, that's useful data... 1930s to 1970 -- around 40 years or so. 1970 to now... 42 years.

True, not enough history to draw any real conclusions, but all the same...

Hmmm... Wonder if they had any swarms like this back around 1890? If so, that would make it even more interesting.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by sageturkey

Well I need a bit more time with a few more quakes now before I can be accurate. But the fault is definitely moving. Another small coming in now. And lots of microquakes going on, rapid-fire style. I doubt it's related to Salton Buttes, but it might be- and if so, probably like Mike says. I'd wait for word from the pro's for better assessments of the situation. Will a bigger one happen? Maybe. Swarms don't usually lead to bigger quakes, but in this case, you never know.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Awesome MamaJ, I was wondering if there had been any significant damage. From what I'm reading, just a bit of glass breakage and minor power outages being reported at this point.

And I thought I was going to get something done on the computer today. I sat down to do some much-needed paperwork and just happened to take a peek at the EQ's and said to myself "Sumpin dusn't look right..." Yeah, that was back when we were at like #33 on the list.
edit on 26-8-2012 by sageturkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I grew up in SOCA and other surrounding areas.

The biggest problem with earthquakes is falling debris.

The ground does not open up and swallow you.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Series of earthquakes rattle California
Associated Press
2012-08-27 05:33 AM

www.taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_content.php?id=2009250

Dozens of small to moderate earthquakes rattled Southern California on Sunday, shaking an area from rural Imperial County to the San Diego coast and north into the Coachella Valley.

The largest quake, magnitude 5.3, struck at 12:31 p.m. about three miles (five kilometers) north-northwest of the small Imperial County farming town of Brawley, according to Paul Caruso, a geophysicist with the U.S. Geological Survey. It was followed minutes later by a 4.9 magnitude quake.

The first quake was a magnitude 3.9 that hit at 10:02 a.m. It was followed by a 3.4 quake about 90 seconds later in the same area near the southern end of the Salton Sea. Magnitude 2.2 and 2.0 quakes followed within six minutes of the first shock.

The USGS says at least 25 aftershocks of struck the same approximate epicenter about 16 miles (26 kilometers)north of El Centro.

Some shaking was felt on the coast in Del Mar, some 120 miles (193 kilometers) from the epicenter, as well as in southern Orange County and parts of northern Mexico.

An Imperial County sheriff's dispatcher said there were no reports of damage or injuries.

Scientists aren't yet sure what fault the quake cluster was on but it was near the 800-mile (1,300-kilometer) San Andreas Fault, Caruso said.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
What IF it's volcanic related? I just wonder because it's a possibility, right?

Thanks in advance, I have been looking around the net for the answer and it seems it's a conflicted subject.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Umm.....guys. I mean really the ONLY action is in Cali right now.

Am I missing something? Please tell me I am missing something.

Surely it is normal for the world to go quite for a few hours. right?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Well - - I have to drive through it tomorrow back to the coast.

I'm not concerned.

new topics

top topics

<< 201  202  203    205  206  207 >>

join