It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 161
<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by prophetboy12
reply to post by murkraz

I have seen a definite difference in earthquake patters since the Italy quakes. Anybody else seen the change.

I've been noticing more "smaller" quakes and swarms like through Cali and down near Mexico. Perhaps a few others around India and the middle-East, but historical seismicity pleads for normality. Things seem a bit bumpy all over, but that is pure speculation. I've had my eye on Cali-Mexico and Alaska for sometime though all the same awaiting something moderate-large.

S. America, esp Peru seems to getting all sorts of small quakes and big quakes, too.

Humm. TWT.
edit on 13/6/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I think those small quakes in Alaska are mistakes, and will probably be removed. Note they are all computer generated- and haven't been reviewed yet. I pulled a heli close to there and went over with spectro- and doesn't look seismic to me. Could be wrong, but that's my story and...

I think it's being caused by some bad telemetry issues, because there are an awful lot of stations down in Alaska, and right there where these are listed.
edit on Wed Jun 13th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Oklahoma.

If I could function properly I'd not post this here and have the first copy of my graphic novel ready by tomorrow. So, if there's any aspiring young artists/authors ready to steal a good idea, feel free to plagarize the following.

Era: mid 1880's, but the future overlaps so that it is an alternate verse.

Characters: Sheriff is a giant chicken. Not like Fog HornlegHorn. What a funny name. Not sure how that's spelled. No, the chicken is more like the one on Family Guy.

And there's others. You'll have to use your imagination for the rest. But. I will give you our protagonist. His super power is that he is super stubborn. Oh, and he's a little bit Mexican. That's the great thing about it being set in Oklahoma City. You will have all the races mixing and the tensions will make great drama. Afterall, the trail of tears ended up in Oklahoma. Okay. The hero is EL Loco Jackasso. He's a real cool fellow but don't get him angry. Cause you won't like him when he's angry. Cause he's stubborn. Anyway. The idea really gelled when I thought about Oklahoma's landscape.

It would make a perfect netherworld. You have the oil derricks and all the industry that goes along with drilling. Giant flares and smoke everywhere. Constant regular earthquakes that are almost accepted as a normal part of living. That's really where I got the idea. It must be like some nether world right now in the real Oklahoma. Earthquakes are now a normal part of everyday existence in Oklahoma. That is an alternate reality that I don't seem to be able to fathom. Hense, my imagings are trying to make sense of the nonsense.

I mean the thing writes itself. You got to have scenes where peoples faucets and bath fixtures periodically burst into flame. Things and or houses explode here there and everywhere. Well, that happened in Arkansas, but we'll say it happen in Okie too. They'll be geysers of radioactive water that sometimes get reguritated and come back to the surface. The characters will all have cliches to deal with and accept the horrors all around them.

So when the geysers of green water is shoot in the background and the earth is trembling, the sheriff says,
"That'll stop soon, the crust takes time to settle just like the foundation in your house. That glowing green water there is the color of money."

So, Chesapeake Oil finds major new field in Oklahoma and Texas. This is real news. I couldn't understand this. They actually found more and a new field in Texas. In Oklahoma? I was shocked. I figured they had checked every square inch and had already tapped into the majority of the reserves. Nope.

So expect more driling. Expect more earthquakes. Expect more towns like Guy, Arkansas. More cities like Oklahoma City. What's that new earthquake city in Texas called? My god, I can't remember. Tilson... Anyway.

I was going to do a little project on the average number of quakes of the individual states east of the rockies and check how it's going. Along the lines of that recent report. I mean even South Carolina is above average and they don't frack. It's not just the fracking.

If you are an optomist this is what you can hang your hat on. The New Madrid Zone is a completely separate thing from every region around it. No matter how much the other zones shake or move, this region has nothing to do with anything else happening around it. Everyting is coincidence and everything happens in isolation.

Alfred E. Neuman

"What, me worry?"

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Is the 4.3 off Northern Cali a mistake too? I'll bet the next round is in South America.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Now that I am somewhat more grounded at the moment, I have looked at the Oklahoma earthquakes and there is something related. The two earthquakes came within 15 minutes of each other. Yet, they were about 80 km or 50 miles apart. They would not appear to be on the Wilzetta fault. That runs north south. These two quakes are west to east. Or it went from the east to the west.

Is this one long fault? If so, it it a very long fault and I would think it would have the potential of a 6+M if it were to rupture all at once. And from this mornings couplet, a long length seems to be move and in a short span of time.

There were two quakes in Arkansas in the same area and the were within two hours. Another couplet. And there's a definate cluster in Tennessee still which has crossed over into Georgia and we have South Carolina.

The thing I'm trying to determine is whether or not these are echos or aftershocks of the larger quakes this year. Or if they are part of a swarm process that is preceeding another event like 1811. Before the big New Madrid quakes there were swarms in Arkansas and surrounding areas.

The thing is, I know for certain they were fracking or injecting waste water back then. So, things aren't the same. Back then the zone had a natural quake all by itself and needed no help from mankind. Now we're down there deep and mucking around with big giant squirt guns. Oh men, we love running around with thingys in our hands and shooting stuff all over the place.

Until someone loses an eye.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Attention all quakeheads!! Head on over to this thread and check out what is going on in Osaka bay

Let me know what you think of this development.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Maybe Puterman can jump on his TEC maps and keep an eye on this area today.

It could be hoax....but if it is not a hoax or some kind of strange algae bloom, then it must be something volcanic, or some type of monster sediment redistibution

edit on 13-6-2012 by radpetey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
one picture shows it yellow
one picture shows it blue
so.....

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

sorry ma'am your 5.0 been downgraded to 4.4

I was waiting for the 72 hours to pass to be able to do a aftershock rollout graph, that 4.4 ended the 72hrs with a thump.
I've stuck with ML for the Main Shock as all the rest of the data is ML as well.
Tapered out pretty quickly ( compared to the Emilia-Romagna, Italy 5.9 and 5.8 quakes)
Ölüdeniz Açiklari-Muğla (Mediterranean Sea) Aftershocks Page has been updated with the extra plots since last time and the new graph

6.0 Mainshock = 15,080.242 T/TNT +195 aftershocks = 971.884T/TNT = Total 16,052.127 T/TNT released
all the 195 aftershocks combined equal to a single 5.205ML quake

edit on 14-6-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:33 AM
link   
reply to post by radpetey

Nothing that I can see on the TEC that stands out, and looking at the web cam of the bay I see no yellow.

Without any further information it sounds like a bit of a non event. That image on TEP looks to me like a low fog/mist over the bay rather than the colour of the water. My guess is that the water was not yellow but a low fog/mist made it look that way. We get that effect here in that valleys sometimes. They can be yellow, grey or pink.

edit on 14/6/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Quake just hit the Philippines...Might be in 6 range...not sure, station DAV...went...out- before the full wave could be seen...But the little piece there was in 1.8 mm/sec range...waiting on USGS
edit on Thu Jun 14th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Ok 5.5

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Couldn't get a good read on that one...

lol, the last half of that wave was delayed...
But it finally came in, and yeah, 5.5 seems about right.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I think USGS have got these two ass backwards, based on the traces we got here at SNZO

5.6Mw 2012/06/14 20:17:24 1.319 126.820 56.5 MOLUCCA SEA
5.5Mw 2012/06/15 01:14:11 5.649 126.475 69.4 MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES
pretty much the same depth range
the Molucca Sea location is closer to SNZO at 6757 km
than Mindanao at 7155 km
but 2nd trace looks a bigger quake IMO
EMSC probably too high at 5.9 for the Mindanao one right now
Will see what LDEO come up with, had the first one at 5.6 too

Im picking 5.7Mw for Mindanao
the difference being 0.2 points of magnitude or twice the amount of energy released
5.7 = 5350.67 Tonnes of TNT
5.6 = 3787.98 T/TNT
5.5 = 2681.68 T/TNT

edit on 14-6-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I found this a little interesting.

In 1859, a devastating earthquake ripped through what is now central Azerbaijan, destroying the capital city of Shemakha. Damage from the quake was so extensive that the capital was subsequently relocated to Baku, a coastal city on the Caspian Sea. Since then, Baku has grown into a thriving metropolis, fueled by vast offshore oil reserves. Rapid development of the city’s housing, infrastructure and foreign trade has made Azerbaijan one of the fastest-growing economies in the world.

phys.org...

1859 and how it may tie in to the NMSZ.
I would keep an eye out for sand blows there.

On aerial photographs, Cox and collaborators observed roughly circular light-colored patches throughout the Arkansas and Mississippi River valleys between southeastern Arkansas and northeastern Louisiana and interpreted the patches to be seismically induced sand blows.

The yellow dot is a recent seismic event,although small,but something to keep an eye on.
earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 15-6-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

A better example of sand blows.

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 15-6-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

GFZ Potsdam seem to agree with you on the relative difference with 5.4 Mw and 5.6 Mw.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Well, now the Eastern US almost fully covered. Texas this morning after Oklahoma. The other day we had a small Colorado/New Mexico quake.

Maybe someone else can post a capture of Texas epicenter. I'm pretty sure that thing with all the tanks is an injection well site. I could be wrong. But am probaby not. It could be storage, so maybe I am.

When I used to look around on Google Earth and such I would see lots of white squares in neighbourhoods. They were swimming pools without water, or a pool with water when the blue wasn't being reflected that day.

Now I'm seeing white squares everywhere. And the greenish pools that are found on the white squares are no place I'd want to swim.

Do you remember the old Dallas TV Show? Well, there coming our with a new version. I wish it was a joke. But I'm not kidding. But why not. Do you know how many new Jed Klampet's there are out there?

I think a cross between the Beverely Hillbillies and Dallas would be a much better idea.
Actually, this nightmare is more like Twin Peaks. Nothing quite normal, preverse and dark.

I'll stop now before I start talking backward.

www.youtube.com...

Here's the whole song....

www.youtube.com...

edit on 15-6-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

Damn.. This thinking has lead me down an alternate path... The rest of this is totally selfish. my Monday was a low point. still trying to come back - again.
As I rumaged around on You Tube looking for Jed's Ballad I was browsing the other banjo tunes on the other videos list. Then I found it. Duelling Banjos. What the Hell is it about duelling banjos? I recoiled and told myself not to listen to it. But what was it about the scene in the movie that captivated me. Wait, not just me because everyone talks about it and the movie. Why the hell do I react so strong to it?

My brain is dueling banjos. It so obvious. I was a kid when I first saw the movie. I never realized the kid was Autistic.
"God damn, I could play all day with that guy."

Just before they get to the end of the playing, imagine the music goes on forever, and imagine it keeps getting incremently faster.
That kid can do it. And play the damn strings at the same time. He's the magic in the scene. It's almost impossible to imagine how he does it. But he does.

www.youtube.com...

Well, I don't know what to think of myself now. While looking for the scene on You Tube I was thinking that I remember hearing that the scene was improvised and not an actually scripted scene. Yes, that's right. It makes it all the more incredible. No. I should check. Right? Research. I did.

Watch the boy's fingers. He's not playing. The scene is totally scripted. And I knew this because there is too much else going on around it to be spontaneous. I think my little excercise has proven my point. What I had imagined in my head was a story. But behind the story there are facts.

This scene was so powerful that the story created it's own story. The story becomes a lengend and has a life of its own. The scene was deliberate and even the boy was made up to look disfigured. The scene was being true to the descriptions in the novel.

What I just wrote was yuck. I don't even have a word for it. I was trying to sum up this. Impossible.

So, here's the research that shows the scene was not improvised.

www.hoax-slayer.com...

i love origin stories. so here's the original composition

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

I loved "Deliverance"!
I used to want to learn to play the banjo, ukulele or harp!
It must have been a 'string' thing!

Awww.....I forgot about the Scout! My Dad had one.
Major flashbacks!!!

Okay, I wilfted around in your links & totally lost track of time for an hour!!!

Anyway, I watched the 'new' Dallas & wondered if you saw it, when they were talking about mining/drilling? for methane in the ocean near China & causing an earthquake!

Meanwhile...back at the ranch....It was in Grandma's will that she wanted the land preserved.....
But the grandson is drilling for oil & hits it big....
I kept waiting for there to be an eq there too! (I know it's an oil well, not fracking/injection. Couldn't help myself!)
Stay tuned...the saga continues....will there be educational as well as entertainment value this time around???

I have been waiting for Virginia to answer the, what was it, two in Colorado? Still waiting...
WOQ

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasobservingquietly

I have been waiting for Virginia to answer the, what was it, two in Colorado? Still waiting...
WOQ

Shhhhhhhh....we don't want the Old Dominion rocking.

(To tell the truth, I've been anticipating the same thing, WOQ)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Can anyone help me connect the earthquake shown on B046.PB..EHZ at 15:12:30 UTC today to a listed earthquake? I don't see anything on USGS that corresponds.

Yet when I compare the seismic signature above, to the Mag 3.4 from 13 June 2012 at 13:25:03, on the same station (B046.PB..EHZ--13 June), they look to be fairly close in size.

Maybe the one from today is offshore? They often take a bit longer to be posted onto USGS.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Hmmm LDEO came out with 5.6 for both

2012 6 14 20 17 28.0 1.25 126.75 33.0 5.6 NORTHERN MOLUCCA SEA
2012 6 15 1 14 24.0 6.25 126.25 33.0 5.6 MINDANAO, PHILIPPINES

EMSC are at 5.5 and 5.6 respectively
GeoAu got 5.5 and 5.9 (but the 5.9 not finalized yet)

And just when you think you have found a source you can rely on .......................

this one has vanished from their (LDEO) list

2012/6/9 14:13:4, -64.5, -169.5, 5.1, PACIFIC-ANTARCTIC RIDGE

screenshot of MY archive list ( data taken from theirs at the time)

screenshot of theirs NOW

The deleted quake ( and another one shortly afterwards) can be seen quite clearly on SNZO
09-10/06/2012 SNZO

I have noticed the odd other one diasappear as well, but didn't note that on MY list, which I should have done, but its too late now their list has moved on.
If it happens again I'll mark the line with "removed from LDEO list"

edit on 15-6-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

B046.PB..EHZ.2012.165 @ 0.041 scale
B046.PB..EHZ.2012.167 @ 0.041 scale

Those are the two displayed at the same scale. You will see that there is quite a bit of difference with the second being possibly only half the amplitude of the first. These have both been adjusted so that the scale on the side is 0.04

The first in the version you show is 0.0641 scale factor and the second is 0.048

In fact it is even clearer if you match both to the scale of the first

B046.PB..EHZ.2012.165 @ 0.0641 scale
B046.PB..EHZ.2012.167 @ 0.0641 scale

But apart from that no I can't see anything that matches.

ETA: Looks better a bit wider actually
B046.PB..EHZ.2012.165 @ 0.0641 scale
B046.PB..EHZ.2012.167 @ 0.0641 scale

Just measured those on screen. The first is 408 pixels and the second is 214 pixels so just 52% of the amplitude of the first.

edit on 15/6/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for your reply, Puterman.
The earthquake from today is definitely not as large as the one from the 13th.

Looking at the last 2 links you posted, the smaller "blue" earthquake at 15:47:16 UTC was a Mag 2.6 in the same location as the "red" Mag 3.4 on day 165.
So the "green" earthquake from today (day 167) should be of a magnitude in between those two. My guess is 3.0.

I'm still wondering why it isn't listed. Another USGS mystery, lol.
edit on 6/15/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 158  159  160    162  163  164 >>

join