It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 146
<< 143  144  145    147  148  149 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan
I predicted Japan few weeks ago...

Maybe I will start forecast at ATS. If that's the case then please join.

@thorforecaster Twitter.com/thorforecaster

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy
Agree, CME is just rare phenomenon and moon cycle is supertitous.

Maybe I will forecast at ATS. If that's the case then please join.

@thorforecaster Twitter.com/thorforecaster

edit on 24-5-2012 by thorforecaster because: typo

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

This is to the south of me, in the general area as last summer's 5-something quake. We haven't had one this size in quite some time (even though it is only a 3-something), perhaps months. In general, the area has been relatively quiet, with the exception of random 1s and 2s in the past weeks, with no significant clusters or swarms.

Intuitively, I've been feeling like we're due to have a bigger one, perhaps the size of last summer's, if not slightly bigger. So, my question is, since the quakes have gotten bigger, is it possible to tell whether or not the area might soon produce something as big as last year's quake or bigger? What are the signs that an area is becoming active again?

Thanks!

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mountaingirl1111

Impossible to say. So, I'll say yes, I believe they'll be bigger ones since they aren't going to stop fracking and mining, etc, drawing on aquifers. Pumping it backing down dirty. I'm not sure about Colorado/New Mexico, but there are Carbon Sequestration plants. I know Alabama started doing it and there is one Arkansas. I haven't done the exact math, but there must be a hundred thousand wells in the states around you. I don't see how we won't get more and bigger quakes.

On another matter, they've fixed Popo's seismo and it's clear on webcam. Lots of tremor corresponding with vigorous venting.

earlier...

edit on 24-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by mountaingirl1111

There are tons of gas wells here & in Wyoming for sure, I know some in Utah, don't know about the rest. I had to write a paper for Eng Comp II, an argumentative essay, and chose the subject of fracking. This was right around the time "Gasland" came out, which is why I chose the subject matter I did. Anyway, I had seen wells for a little while when on various road trips throughout the west, but it wasn't until I saw "Gasland" and started doing research for my paper when I became fully aware of what's really going on out there. Allowing drilling on the boundaries of BLM lands and on the boundaries of national parks is sickening. I'm not even getting into how they are screwing landowners. Just look at what they're trying to do in Colorado and--literally--on the other side of the fence at national parks in Utah.

A couple or few years ago here in Colorado, residents' water started catching on fire. I'm sure you've heard or seen of this, it went viral. Well, out in Rifle, CO, it's all the old shale land that Exxon used to harvest back in the day until it went bust. So, here comes the gas industry, paying big bucks to set up shop, infusing cash into a town hit hard by the Exxon pull-out in the 80s. So, they welcome it, not really understanding how bad things could get. Many people have gotten sick there and just outside of there and streams are contaminated with carcinogens because of it. Still, they're allowed to do what they want, without any interruption. Now that the townspeople see what has come of this industry, it's too late. It is such a shame, because I love going to Rifle Gap & Rifle falls, it's really beautiful.

Now with the geologic side effects, such as quakes, it just makes me wonder how much we have to destroy before we realize what we have done. It's like the saying, "Don't $ where you eat!"
edit on 24-5-2012 by mountaingirl1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Lunar / Celestial data for :

Mag 6.0 Northern Italy
Mag 6.4 off Honshu

Sorry for the delay. Busy and these take time.

edit on 24/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by bellagirl

I'll forgive you for mentioning the rsoe word

I have never understood how they get WESTERN INDIAN-ANTARCTIC RIDGE when that particular spot is in the EASTERN side of the Indian Australian Plate

If they saying that its on the WESTERN side of Antarctica, which I also can't understand, as from the SOUTH POLE there is only NORTH, then why isn't it called WESTERN ANTARCTIC-INDIAN RIDGE

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Getting reports on my iphone app about a quake in the Greenland sea, 6.5 @ a depth of 6.8 miles.

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Woah ! Early days yet could well be revised - interesting there have been a few 5 pointers last 2- 3 months and now this.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Anyone see the BBC (?) Top ten earthquake documentary - it didn't focus on the top 10 ever ..will try & source link. Reason I mention it is an anomoly in Sweden (not too far from this one) caused by melt after the ice age ...not tectonic at all.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Previous poster : you beat me to it !

edit on 24-5-2012 by slidingdoor because: to add documentary link.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
only a 6.2 eh ? still a hefty one for there and shallow too

Experts - we don't have any subduction going on up there do we ? nah , can't do !

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I don't know what's bugging me about this Norway quake. I know it's not the usual place so that's why I am surprised it's showing up so strong in North America. I would say it's larger than 6.2M. But, this may be becuase of it's location.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

because there were two 6+,,
at different depths,,within a time period too justifiy,, a massive,, rupture.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ericblair4891
I don't know what's bugging me about this Norway quake. I know it's not the usual place so that's why I am surprised it's showing up so strong in North America. I would say it's larger than 6.2M. But, this may be becuase of it's location.

you say it's showing up strong in north america.... can you clarify what you mean by that?

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
And now there are three. Hmm.....

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Actually, given the fault is directly on the North American Plate, I guess I shouldn't be that surprised and should not be comparing it to 6+M from the far off South Pacific. It showed up strongly in Yellowstone, Arkansas, and even showed up on the siesmo for Popo. I guess you gotta forget Greenland's there and is not a big block.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I was wondering if someone here can help me find out if there was any tremors going on in East Central MS (USA) on 5/18/12 around 2:30 a.m.?

Someone heard something like a gun battle going on for a long period of time, but can't find a reasonable explanation as to what it was. No reports of such a thing to police. 911 got many calls, but couldn't say what was happening, etc. He also said there was a lot of static in the air because the hair on his arms stood up when he went outside to see what was going on.

I have no idea how to look at earthquake maps. I thought maybe it could be the earth popping making the noise.
His investigation into what it was is ongoing, but so far, it remains a mystery.

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Holly cow!

Good size rumbler just rolled thru Christchurch...

5.22 mag

BIGGEST we've had in many months

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Are you in Christchurch ?
Did you feel it?

Looks like it was off shore.

edit on 24-5-2012 by azureskys because: added more

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

what depth
cause if its related,,,ok that was fast,,too fast
edit on 24-5-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 24 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

11.0 kms depth
10 kms east of Christchurch

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

top topics

<< 143  144  145    147  148  149 >>

join