It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Central Cali is becoming more active.

As I have been watching Cali closely for months, I see that usually the quake count is somewhere around the 365 mark, lately it has risen. It's at 435 today

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by berkeleygal

wil this link update its self if i leave it on?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
i have never seen it that active..wow...not looking good...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
makes you wonder if the big one is on its way...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by intuitive

no, you need to reload the page

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

berkeleygirl knows her home state better than I do......................
but from the safe distance of 10.800km away .........
what I see is the list behind that map
there are
4 @ Mag 3.1-3.5
14 @ Mag 2.4 -3.0
37 @ Mag 2.0-2.4
375 @ less than Mag 2.0

now if the numbers were reversed and there were 375 Mag 3+'s on that list, then I would be a bit concerned about something about to tip Cali over and be driving east right now

Looking at the location names, a lot of known volcanic areas in there though eg Mammoth Lakes, The Geysers, Lake Pilsberry, Anderson Springs etc
edit on 13-1-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Was looking back at my old Cali USGS maps

This is from April 22, 2011

Probably the most I have seen - 722

checking for other images I might have

eta

good god I'd forgotten this one!

Remember this????

Little did we know what was coming

edit on 13-1-2012 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
reply to post by ButterCookie

1. Increase in earthquakes (check)
2. Raise in land elevation (check)
3. Water changes (check)
4. Magma level increase (check)

1. Increase in earthquakes (NOT check) there is little activity.
2. Raise in land elevation (NOT check) there has been deflation.
3. Water changes (NOT check) None that I am aware of recently since the heating up of one area.
4. Magma level increase (NOT check) Eh? What magma level increase? Current theory has the 'plume' cooling.

Of course if you would like to provide sources to prove otherwise?

All of things were verified to be happening as of 2009 by seismologists

And subsequently proved not to be the case.

edit on 13/1/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

Lets see what actual experts have stated:

But beginning in 2004, scientists saw the ground above the caldera rise upward at rates as high as 2.8 inches (7 centimeters) a year. (Related: "Yellowstone Is Rising on Swollen 'Supervolcano.'") The rate slowed between 2007 and 2010 to a centimeter a year or less. Still, since the start of the swelling, ground levels over the volcano have been raised by as much as 10 inches (25 centimeters) in places. "It's an extraordinary uplift, because it covers such a large area and the rates are so high," said the University of Utah's Bob Smith, a longtime expert in Yellowstone's volcanism.

National Geographic News

I'm not sure your reason to attack my comment: I simply made a statement based on the History Channel episode about Yellowstone......

edit on 14-1-2012 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Date-Time Saturday, January 14, 2012 at 13:47:50 UTC
Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 02:47:50 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 43.561°S, 172.931°E
Depth 10.4 km (6.5 miles)
Region SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND
Distances 21 km (13 miles) E of Christchurch, New Zealand
228 km (141 miles) SSE of Westport, New Zealand
293 km (182 miles) SSW of WELLINGTON, New Zealand
321 km (199 miles) NE of Dunedin, New Zealand

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 12.7 km (7.9 miles); depth +/- 4.7 km (2.9 miles)
Parameters NST= 28, Nph= 35, Dmin=24.5 km, Rmss=0.8 sec, Gp=184°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=6
Source Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID usc0007ksz

Geonet has this one listed as a 5.0.

Happy New Year to all of you by the way. Am always reading, not often posting

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Well I am not attacking YOUR comment am I since the comment was made by the History Channel, which unfortunately is often a biased and unreliable source. I have my doubts as to which side of the fence Bob Smith sits as well. There have been some conflicting things coming from him in the past.

The National Geographic (another biased and unreliable source) says as you posted

The rate slowed between 2007 and 2010 to a centimeter a year or less.

And as I showed it is now deflating. I believe therefore my 'attack' on THE HISTORY CHANNEL NOT YOU was quite justified.

You are the messenger. Don't take it so personally

I feel perfectly justified correcting (not attacking - way to melodramatic) an MSM outlet that is fear mongering simply to get the numbers up and has not updated it's facts, and cherry picks the bits it wants anyway.

By the way here is what the experts say (and one of the experts is Bob Smith so how do you equate the contradiction - I will tell you - MSM cherry picking of old comments taken out of context)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE
Sunday, January 1, 2012 12:08 PM MST (Sunday, January 1, 2012 19:08 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW #1205-01-)
44°25'48" N 110°40'12" W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

During the month of December 2011 (through 5:00 PM MST December 29) 68 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone National Park region. The largest was a magnitude 2.5 event on December 27 at 10:40 PM MST, located about 9 miles north of Tower Junction, YNP. A small swarm of 18 quakes located 5 miles north of West Thumb, YNP was recorded on December 8 with magnitudes from 0.3 - 1.6.

Yellowstone earthquake activity continues at normal background levels.

Slow subsidence of the caldera, which began in early 2010, continues. Current deformation patterns at Yellowstone are well within historical norms.

Please see: www.uusatrg.utah.edu... for a map of GPS stations in the Yellowstone vicinity. For a graph of daily GPS positions at White Lake, within the Yellowstone caldera, please see: pboweb.unavco.org...

---

CONTACT INFORMATION:
Jacob Lowenstern, USGS
Scientist-in-Charge, Yellowstone Volcano Observatory
jlwnstrn@usgs.gov

Robert Smith, University of Utah
Coordinating Scientist, YVO

Henry Heasler, Yellowstone National Park
Coordinating Scientist, YVO

Emphasis by me. Link

edit on 14/1/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Quake report reveals possible north Qld 'fault'
By Josh Bavas

Posted January 13, 2012 08:18:54

www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-13/quake-report-reveals-possible-north-qld-fault/3770688

Geoscience Australia has released a report into several earthquakes that struck north Queensland last year, with scientists saying there may be a fault in the region.

Three main quakes shook near Bowen, south of Townsville - two in April and one in September, with the strongest having a magnitude of 5.3.

Geoscience spokeswoman Emma Mathews says her team of researchers detected about 550 aftershocks within 10 months.

"In the first two weeks of recording - we recorded over 320, so this indicates that there was a higher concentration of aftershocks in the immediate period following the main shock and these lessened with time," she said.

"It looks like there is a fault up there.

"More field work will need to be done to see if there are any surface expressions of the fault.

"However, for an earthquake of this magnitude it is unlikely to rupture at the surface."

Topics: earth-sciences, earthquake, rural, bowen-4805, townsville-4810, mackay-4740

© 2012 Australian Broadcasting Corporation

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by xecoybh
Quake report reveals possible north Qld 'fault'
By Josh Bavas

Posted January 13, 2012 08:18:54
www.abc.net.au/news/2012-01-13/quake-report-reveals-possible-north-qld-fault/3770688
Three main quakes shook near Bowen, south of Townsville - two in April and one in September, with the strongest having a magnitude of 5.3.

Geoscience spokeswoman Emma Mathews says her team of researchers detected about 550 aftershocks within 10 months.
© 2012 Australian Broadcasting Corporation

And I never seen them listed on the GeoAustralia web site either
Thats a lot of aftershocks from a 5.3

edit on 14-1-2012 by muzzy because: typed a couple of lines about how Aussies can't count, then realised I made a mistake. Dumb Kiwi

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Hmm, another quake in southern Iran:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Those quakes, without a main shock/aftershock sequence yet, seem like good candidates for foreshocks...

So watch out in Southern Iran! If the NWO doesn't get you first, a big quake just might...

And that's darn close to the Strait of Hormuz. Ha, I bet the US Navy wasn't expecting to get wiped out by a huge tsunami!

edit on Sat Jan 14th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Stop the planet I want off. Vistors, if you're there, come and get me. I'm done my report.

www.usatoday.com...

abcnews.go.com...

planetsave.com...
edit on 14-1-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by ericblair4891
Stop the planet I want off. Vistors, if you're there, come and get me. I'm done my report.

www.usatoday.com...

abcnews.go.com...

planetsave.com...
edit on 14-1-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

Eric,that is one scary story there,my friend.

Project to pour water into Oregon volcano to make power

Let's screw around with mother nature and see how pissed of she gets.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

Are these people serious ?!

What the hell are they thinking... ugh, we really truly are the stupidest species on this planet.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
reply to post by ericblair4891

Are these people serious ?!

What the hell are they thinking... ugh, we really truly are the stupidest species on this planet.

Yep - stupid!

The words 'arrogant' and 'greedy' also come to mind.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
No big deal, they been pumping water into The Geysers for over 40 years, Wairakei and Kawerau, NZ for as long too and same at Hengill in Iceland for who knows how long, the only side effects are a whole bunch of micro quakes no one can feel.
I've never seen a major quake at any of those locations during that time.
Where does most of the power to San Francisco, Taupo, and Reykjavik come from

Safer than pumping chemicals into the ground to get oil and gas to burn and pollute the atmosphere, cause climate change and the next ice age.

Where is YOUR power you are using right now coming from?
Is it clean?
edit on 14-1-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

No big deal, they been pumping water into The Geysers for over 40 years, Wairakei and Kawerau, NZ for as long too and same at Hengill in Iceland for who knows how long, the only side effects are a whole bunch of micro quakes no one can feel.

Massive micro seismicity at Geysers yes as my study last year showed. Hengil? Try mag 6.5 attributed to water injection for steam.

Safer than pumping chemicals into the ground to get oil and gas to burn and pollute the atmosphere,...

Agreed

...cause climate change and the next ice age.

Sorry not agreed. The coming ice age is being caused by the Sun and has nothing whatsoever to do with 'global climate warming change catastrophic calamity'. That is just sheer unproven BS.

Where is YOUR power you are using right now coming from?
Is it clean?

About 54
wind turbines nor far from my house whose output saves no carbon, causes massive pollution in other countries - but that does not matter as it is not here - and puts up the price of electricity because next to solar power it the most inefficient use of resources on the planet. Without subsidies neither of these forms of power generation would be of the least bit of interest to the fat cats who prey on society from sheer greed and with not one stick of concern for the environment as whole or for people.

Is it clean? Not if you take into account the full chain of events that lead to installation and power production. Wake up people, you are being conned.

edit on 15/1/2012 by PuterMan because: sheeple, sheeple everywhere and not a one can think.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
A 6.5 just hit south of the shetland islands .....

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Date-Time Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 13:40:17 UTC Sunday, January 15, 2012 at 09:40:17 AM at epicenter Magnitude 6.5

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join