It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 138
<< 135  136  137    139  140  141 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

Looks like your USGS 6.0Mw will come down
USGS Body-Wave Moment Tensor Solution 5.8Mw
LDEO 5.8Mw
Geofon 5.7Unk
EMSC 5.8Mw
RAS 5.7mb
GeoAu 5.8Mw

edit on 16-5-2012 by muzzy because: forgot the Aussies who cover their arses with "THIS INFORMATION HAS NOT YET BEEN FINALISED"

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thank you for the response. I agree: using "near the coast" is awfully ambiguous. Back in OZ, I lived very near the coast for some time -- and there was solid ground under my house.
The wet salty stuff with dolphins swimming in it was a few hundred metres down the road.

Also thanks to you and JV for discussing the default depth question. My own opinion is that if they can't provide the actual data it would be best to leave it out entirely. For one thing, a default depth tells us nothing useful. For another, when someone who knows next to nothing about the subject finds that site, they may wind up posting a thread along the lines of "Quakes all over the World at Exactly 33 km Deep! OMG! What is Going ON?
"

At least, I recall people doing something like this when they saw the USGS 10 km default depth (when it was being used way too much), but they had no idea that such a thing existed. In fact I had some exchanges with a couple of members who simply refused to believe that it was just a default depth.

Okay, now to catch up on the latest posts.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

No, no confusion in my mind. I was referring to the GFZ Potsdam site who did have it as 6.5 but I do see you were referring to Chile so confusion? Yes/No/Maybe/Perhaps. I guess I should have said GeoFon to avoid confusion perhaps.

I have just created a Thailand seismos page for anyone who might be interested. It is going to take me a very long time to get round the world at this rate!!!

edit on 16/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnVidale

John, I'm using the "post reply" mainly to get your attention.
Actually I have a couple of queries; they might be something to discuss with Aaron Wech.

In respect of the PNSN Interactive Tremor Map, we can set it to show the plate depths, showing lines at 20, 30 and 40 km. Might it also be possible to show the "0 km" and/or "10 km" depth lines? I just think it would be useful to have this feature displayed.

Secondly, although this map is specifically set up to show slow slip and tremor, would it be possible to have an option to also show actual quakes? Meaning they could be selected for display if the user chooses. I'm thinking that if they could be loaded from a database they could use much the same positioning software as the map already has. In such cases actual quakes could be displayed with a different icon -- small stars or something like that.

I believe that no direct associations have been confirmed between actual quakes and slow slip and tremor but even so, it could be interesting to have them displayed. It would certainly make it less cumbersome for those of us who like to look at all types of seismic events in the region if everything were in one place. Not as a default display setting, but as an option, so that it would not detract from observations for those who only want the slow slip and tremor data and graphics.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 16/5/12 by JustMike because: I found a typo. ˙ƃop ʎzɐl ǝɥʇ ɹǝʌo sdɯnɾ xoɟ uʍoɹq ʞɔınb ɐ

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Mm, they still have it as 6.0 Mwp, Mw pah! I would not perhaps go on the body moment as I have noticed they are lower often by 1 point or so.

Geofon? Unk? What is that supposed to mean? Have the forgotten how to calculate the?

Of course EMSC is just using the USGS Mw figure so no surprise there.

Looking at a few seismograms though I am inclined to agree it is not a 6.0.
I just realised it is deep hence not showing so well.

The Phase data shows Average of magnitudes: 5.97 Mwp based on 42 counts

ETA: No response from LDEO yet. What is the point of putting an email address on the site if they are going to ignore it?

reply to post by JustMike

¡ʇı pɐǝɹ oʇ pɐǝɥ ʎɯ uo puɐʇs oʇ pɐɥ I ¿ǝʞıW ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɥʇ ɥʇıʍ sı ʇɐɥM

A bit of nostalgia for the Mother country perhaps?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

¡ʇı pɐǝɹ oʇ pɐǝɥ ʎɯ uo puɐʇs oʇ pɐɥ I ¿ǝʞıW ʇxǝʇ uʍop ǝpısdn ǝɥʇ ɥʇıʍ sı ʇɐɥM

A bit of nostalgia for the Mother country perhaps?

No need to stand on your head. Just turn your house upside down.

And yes, there is an antipodean angle to it as well.

Okay, back OT. You recall a few weeks back after the two mag 8s in Indonesia on April 11, there was some discussion going on about any other examples of two quakes of 8 or bigger within 24 hours. Well, I was wondering about the 1960 Concepción earthquakes, which occurred on 21 and 22 May, 1960. (The last one was just 16 minutes before the mag 9.5 Valdivia event.)

The problem is when I dig around there are variations in the data. USGS assigned the first quake (which occurred on May 21 at 10:02 UTC) a mag of 7.9 Mw, but Vigny et al cited it as an 8.3 Mw. To add to the confusion, the related Ms values were 7.3 and 7.5 respectively. This seems at odds with what I've read in a document by Scordilis***, who in his summary basically says that for strong earthquakes (between mag 6.2 and 8.2), the Ms and Mw figures "are practically equivalent". So I'm wondering if the USGS and Vigny interpretations of their respective Ms to Mw values for this quake are correct.

*** The document is entitled Empirical Global Relations Converting Ms and mb to Moment Magnitude and the link is to a 576 KB pdf file at the wbseismicmaps.org website.

Anyway, if their values are correct (for that specific region), then the third Concepción quake on May 22 at 18:55 UTC -- reported as a 7.8 Ms -- would come in at well over an 8 Mw, as a 7.5 Ms was computed to an 8.3 Mw.

Seeing as the mag 9.5 Valdivia quake hit at 19:11 UTC on May 22, then we'd have two Mag 8-plus quakes within a very short time in the same general region.

It all hinges on interpreting the Ms values.

What do you think?

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 16/5/12 by JustMike because: of a typo. I had to correct "as a 7.3 Ms was computed to an 8.3" to "as a 7.5 Ms was computed to an 8.3 ".

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Hi Mike,

This paper web.me.com... is on the subject of little quakes and tremor, and it refers to other similar work. There is, as you say, not much connection between quakes and tremor observed so far.

I'll pass along the suggestions about plotting tremor and quakes, but the list of web enhancements already requested from Jon, our web guy, is long and complicated, so I don't know whether anything would be done soon. They are sensible but not easy.

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

These are two excellent suggestions. I hope Mr. Vidale agrees and finds a way to make it happen.

Hi John. Regarding the 'pops' from Medicine Lake, and the conclusion that they are jets: is it possible that the 'pops' could originate from the open pit detonation of large military ordnance?

I noticed a string of 'pops' again on May 15th, around 19:15UTC, on several stations from Medicine Lake, Mt Shasta, and Mt. Lassen. Then I started to put 2+2+2 together....dangerous for me, I know.

In the late 1990's I worked in the Shasta/Klamath region, at high elevations. I would hear distant 'booms', at practically the same time, almost every afternoon. Eventually someone mentioned that there was an army base near Susanville, CA, where they decommissioned old bombs... Sierra Army Depot.
Long-story short, the base was to quit the practice in 2000/2001 because of toxic pollutants and noise, but they still do explode bombs that are too dangerous to move elsewhere.

I know it sounds ridiculous that the sound could travel that far, but I personally heard it many times, and I was west of the volcanoes. What do you think? Loud enough to show on the seismos?

posted on May, 16 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

It is possible and I don't have a good way to differentiate between explosions and jets. One could see whether the difference between the arrival times at the stations corresponds to the speed of sound or somewhat less (or more) as jets have a range of speeds. It would be a surprise to me that explosion sounds would travel that far, and not have a seismic wave in the ground that would arrive first.

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Magnitude 4.6 mb - Eastern Texas

Location map by EMSC (Google Map)
  • Date-Time: Thursday, May 17, 2012 @ 08:12:00 UTC
  • Earthquake location: 31.952°N, 94.417°W,
  • Earthquake depth: 2.0 km
  • Distances:
    240 km E Dallas (pop 1,211,704 ; local time 03:12:00.9 2012-05-17)
    82 km SW Shreveport (pop 196,980 ; local time 03:12:00.9 2012-05-17)
    43 km SE Henderson (pop 10,921 ; local time 03:12:00.9 2012-05-17)
    6 km NW Timpson (pop 1,129 ; local time 03:12:00.9 2012-05-17)
  • Event ID: 267035

Derived from Event Data Source: EMSC
Powered by QVSData

USGS now coming in @4.3 mb

Magnitude 4.3 mb - Eastern Texas

L ocation in Google Maps
  • Date-Time: Thursday, May 17, 2012 @ 08:12:01 UTC
  • Earthquake location: 31.902°N, 94.332°W,
  • Earthquake depth: 5.0 km
  • Distances:
    5km (3mi) E of Timpson, Texas
    45km (27mi) NE of Nacogdoches, Texas
    52km (32mi) ESE of Henderson, Texas
    71km (44mi) S of Marshall, Texas
    343km (213mi) WNW of Baton Rouge, Louisiana
  • Event ID: usb0009rtk

Derived from Event Data Source: USGS
Powered by QVSData

Plenty of these to be seen around the area (Google Earth 2011 imagery)

And over the years since 1995

edit on 17/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Global daily energy Mag 4.5+ from 01 May 2012

Comparison of USGS and EMSC. More 'bang' for your bucks with EMSC!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Yes Puterman,

"Okay Huston, we've had a problem here."

I cannot sleep. I've been trying to wake earlier, but today's unrest was more than just that. As I lay in my bed and imagined things that shouldn't be thought, one of them is becoming a pattern. I have seen the Great Lake Erie Tsunami. I have written about it here- haven't I? Glacial rebound on my mind this morning. Can't forget the moon. I have been watching Popo.

The first thing I did when I turned on the computer was check Arkansas. Woah. I didn't waste any time and checked the big board. Nothing big. Huh. Better look again. Oh, it's more locals me thinks. Yup, much. Texas. Frack

My nightmares will become yours. Trust me. As I sat listening to the sillier thoughts in my head this morning, one of the band members wanted to write a song about Yellowstone. About how they're going to frack right up the the park's borders. They'll stick in that long straw so as to suck out the juices as down and away as they can get at it. Maybe on a little horizontal, creeping beneath. Sorry. If I wasn't such a quiter, and if I actually could ever finished anything, the song would have been very folksy.

There is one part of maddness I enjoy. Trust me, most of it is hell, but, when you get the cosmic joke, and the whole wold becomes painful absurd and insane, the only thing you can do is laugh. Laugh manically at the stupidity. You have to laugh now. You have to laugh hard. and don't let embarassment or reason stop you. It's all fracked up. You have to laugh now, now before the tradedy. It's all fracked up. Sorry, that's wrong. Tradegy already being written and we've long since had the opening act. It's all fracked up.

SNAFU

Situation Normal All FraCKed UP

I'm still snickering and have tears in my eyes. I hate you all. I hate you because I love you so very much. I am laughing and calling you names because the human race is no better than a bunch baboons with machine guns. It's all one big circular firing squad. Homer Simpson and Borat our high minds of wisdom.

Did you know they have oilfields in east Springfield? But if the real Springfield is in Oregon, how's that ...? forget it.

When I was laying in bed, I was looking at the map of quakes in the U.S. It's that pathetic. In my mind's eye, I've got that USGS map always running and this last bunch of activity was trying to tell me something. Oh, duh, ya right. Clusters. I'm sick of me too. This last cluster started in Arkansas. It did some kinda arc thingy and spread beyond.

Before I forget. On NPR all week they are doing reports on fracking. I'll try to put up a link.

On May 20th Popo will explode violently.
Asia shut off. Cascadia has relaxed somewhat. Exluding Washington's swarm. Overall the world is on the low side of normal but not ghostly quiet or anything like that. I'm sure Puterman's graphs will show it's mildly steadish.(edit, he posted while I blathered and wrote it down) I know I started this thought with a prediction, but I am really focused more on zones and whether or not they seem switched on or off. Although I am keeping things differentiated. The Central US is unique due to man's idiocy.

Wait. I have something for Muzzy about NZ. and it almost got lost.

www.stuff.co.nz...

The other day I was complaining about that anchorwoman who equated the last Texas quake to the disaster of the space shuttle. She'll be comparing this morning's earthquakes to... I didn't even want to finish the sentence so as not to be demeaning to those that have suffered during the immense tragedies that have occured too frequently in the last few years.

It's just when they use should over-loaded terms, it sucks the life out of the really big stuff. Why didn't the people of Joplin immediately seek shelter?

In the end, that Texas anchorwoman may indeed report on a local disaster. Just not yet.

So.... The east end of Erie is bouncing up, and the. No, wait. Sorry. The West end of Erie is still rebounding and the east End, the one with all the salt mines, is...

"Okay Houston, we've had a problem here."

www.youtube.com...

Had to edit. You must watch this local news report again. It is amazing. And I'm not abusing the word amazing. Awesome. There again. I think it fits. This news report is so bad for so many reasons. I'll comment on one thing which happens within the first ten seconds of the report. They used the lady as a booster for their station. The first ten seconds could have been a promotional spot for the television station.

www.ksla.com...

stay tuned for further remarkable reports from Texas....

Another edit. I had to shower. Afterward I checked out the homepage of the TV station. I was transfixed by Billy the Bug Guy. Americans. Love you. I saw nothing on their page about most recent earthquake. But I did notice the red scroll. Flood warnings for the region. Hmmm. Long, long severe drought followed by rain. Along with drilling on a massive scale- using water- both pumping it up, and pumping it down. Connection me thinks.

Here's the NPR report on Fracking.

www.npr.org...

Great series. Except I'd give them an A-
I don't think they've been current enough to add Dimmock and the EPA. I have to be balanced. The EPA didn't finding fracking chemicals in the water. but-

And I think they don't mention the earthquakes in the NPR series. Although I could be wrong.

edit on 17-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Thank for the reply, John. I've taken a copy of the document and skimmed it. Will read it through in more detail when time allows.

Regarding the requests/suggestions: I understand that such things are not so easily done, especially when there are other possible changes in the pipeline as well. I'm simply very appreciative that we have the chance to communicate with you so directly on here and get quick responses. Thank you!

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 17/5/12 by JustMike because: typo....

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Robin I always enjoy your posts.... Puts a smile on my face.

Im in quite the hurry this morning as we woke up late and forced to drive the kids to school.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the TX quake had damage and how far a small town Avinger is from the epicenter.... Thanks in advance

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Hi MamaJ,

the town of Avinger is just on 70 miles NNE of today's mag 4.3 quake:

I'd guess it was far enough away that it wouldn't have been felt much there.

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 17/5/12 by JustMike because: added map

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Mike thank you so much. My dad lives in avinger which where he lives is on the lake. He and I dont talk but I am concerned never the less....

Being that this is probably caused by fracking... Do you think there is reason for concern there maybe a bigger one lurking?

I have yet to check if there have been after shocks from the last one they had.... Going to check now...

Eta.. Earthquake report is calling this quake an aftershock?
edit on 17-5-2012 by MamaJ because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

MamaJ,

I just wrote a long reply but foolishly wrote it in the reply box, instead of elsewhere then pasteing it in. I clicked on something by accident and it vanished.

So, as I must go off to work soon this will have to be short.

My own feeling as that as this quake was pretty shallow it could be linked to fracking or disposal wells. I am worried about what might happen as we humans continue to interfere with the balance that nature has established over eons, by taking so much oil, gas and water out from some places in such a short time and pumping in waste products as well. I also feel that whatever happens in the GOM in this regard (with what they take out) may also be a factor.

I honestly don't know if this quake might portend something larger in the near future. I do believe, though, that there will be an increase in the frequency of quakes and the number of locations. Nature needs to rebalance and the longer it takes to happen, the more drastic the events may be.

But to be honest, I feel that where your Dad lives is not likely to be as badly affected as, say, regions around the NMSZ might be one day. That's just a gut feeling, though. Nothing very scientific.

Today's quake was darned shallow. 5 km deep. That's well within the range for fracking/disposal well effects, I believe.

Okay, must fly. Work beckons.

Mike

edit on 17/5/12 by JustMike because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Thanks Mike.... Understand the work thing my friend and do appreciate ALL the time it took you to post the reply.

I too am concerned with our planet and the selfishness that surrounds us all. I just dont get it..but there seems to be a lot I dont get so... Whatever.

Balance with anything is key... We observe this all day ever day so again the whys just wont leave my mind. I wish we good people could take over the world!!!

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I am so stoned. But it's okay. The doctor, err dentist gave me the pain killers cause he just yanked out part of my face. I had to get a perfectly good wisdom tooth pulled. I didn't flinch. The dentist even looked me square in the eyes at one point because he was wondering about this. I didn't blink.

So, this could be the drugs talking or I'm damned amazing. Or, rather, I'm not. Because I think Popo may blow before the 20th. Oh, I don't know anything. I don't even know the specific name for this kind of tremor. I saw it during the Alaskan Redoubt eruption before. Is it harmonic? Or just called tremor. I'll post a picture. I'm so proud of myself for learning how to do that. I wonder if I could post a picture of my tooth with all the gore hanging of it. I'll post that elsewhere I suppose.

Problem with Popo is the rain and snow. Can't see anything to compare signature to activity. Steam is explosive. The Mexican valley aquifers have to be filling up. That soft limestone and other sedimentary layers. Mexico City sinks occasionally.

edit on 17-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 17 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
www.texassharon.com...

I wish we had a forum for 'Abnormal' earthquake activities and the locations... Grouping these in with "all" EQ's gets them little to no attention because to the people in the earthquake prone areas feel that these are small and insignificant... Not fair...
so...
In response to earlier thread that has been moved here by moderators: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Why I think fracking IS the cause of rare East TX earthquakes...

Here is a map showing the activity in South East Texas

www.texassharon.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 135  136  137    139  140  141 >>

join