It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 133
<< 130  131  132    134  135  136 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy
That Göran Ekström is good

Lousy Map though (someone should do that properly, and make an interactive one, perhaps when there is a program that will lift the data and do it automatically so it updates as they come and go)

I couldn't help myself

My version of LDEO
the page is password protected
the password is atsquakewatchers
Its only test and unless I password protect it it will show on the tabs at the top of every page on my blog.

keep it to yourselves

Google Maps is awkward when there are two or more icons with the same co-ordinates, you will see when you open a popuptag inside the map i-frame some text that says "1 of 2 nearby results Next »", click on the Next » and it will show the next one. Depends on how close you zoom in, but if the locations are exactly the same then one is on top of the other.
I only found this out the other day when doing some maps for Ruapehu Volcano, there were 3 quakes at the crater lake but whn I created the interactive map only one icon, took me a while to figure out the others were underneath. doh

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by sled735
the Mayans both predicted a mega earthquake on May 20, 2012.

they did?

Where?

You'll find what he was referring to below:

May 20th Predictions

Only a few more days to the potential increase in earthquake magnitudes of 7+ I predicted last month (from 14-to-16 of May), but possible right thru to the 20th of May, due to the solar eclipse entering the scene.

I have believed for sometime that this is a serious period for potential earthquake/tsunami disaster.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Does it look quite on a worldwide scale currently to anyone else?

From my daily observations I would have to say yes.

Off topic to a degree.
I was looking at spaceweather.com before, im not as knowledgeable in regard to the sun as I am with earthquakes but still enjoy reading about the sun and learning as much as I can comprehend.

What i would like to know is what the beam coming of the side is in the SOHO LASCO C3 current image.

Anyone know what it is?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
By the looks of it either the new madrid is waking up or there is a lot of fracking going on .... Living in the "zone" i would like to think its just fracking. Time will tell huh?

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

You sure about that? I didn't think they had anything older than 24 hours - part of the reason they are no use to me.

That one is a month old.

reply to post by Doodle19815

I see you said that. My apologies - just catching up.

edit on 11/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by sled735
the Mayans both predicted a mega earthquake on May 20, 2012.

they did?

Where?

The links are under the videos. human-spirit-truth.blogspot.com.au...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

5.2 ID# us2012akal
5.9 ID# usb0009lxm

Normally a us2012 ID would indicate a quake older than seven days - in the old system - as that was when all quakes got an NEIC number for the time they remained on the 8-30 days list. They used to be neic_9lxm for example to use the number above. On the web page that would be us20129lxm.

usb, or usc is the normal ID that come out initially. It would be very unusual to have a us2012 as the initial ID. More often than not the bigger quakes get an ak network number first which is then deleted and a usb or usc (usually for larger quakes) number is given.

Some quakes, that remain on the web site ad infinitum - normally interesting 6.5 of Mag 7 upwards - never get an NEIC number as far as the web page is concerned and retain their usc number.

It is perfectly possible that the neic number would still be issued but we don't get to see that now with the newfangled page.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnVidale
Seems to only be on LMH, not on the station closer to the summit LAS, and the signals only appear at high frequency. Station map - volcanoes.usgs.gov...

Looks like real ground motion, but something near or at the surface, from a quick look,

Thanks for the response, John. When you say "high frequency", what range would that reference? Like 5-10Hz? Or much higher?

Looking at the monitoring link above, the activity on LMH has become a little stronger, and now is showing up at Arnica Sink (LAS), too. Specifically from 20:00 to 23:30 UTC on May 10th. Still no listed earthquakes...I'll just keep watching to see if anything develops.

BTW, thanks for the link to the article on geothermal development at Newberry.

Interesting read.
It just really peeves me that BLM allowed them to drill 7 exploratory wells right on the National Monument border, inside the Inventoried Roadless Area, and then BLM has the nerve to state that the lease approval doesn't violate the spirit of the legislation protecting the area. Bah!
Source

What happens if they are eventually approved to build the power plant? Every visitor looking to enjoy the delicate beauty of the area will be subjected to another man-made landscape.

People forget they need wildness.....[end rant]
edit on 5/11/2012 by Olivine because: tinkering

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
update and further information with regard to the post by myself (PuterMan in case you don't see the avatar if you are not logged in)

I have checked those two quakes and there is definitely only one as far as I can see. I think it would show on this one if there were two but I don't see it QSPA.IU.10.VHZ.2012.131 and it certainly should show on LCO but it does not: LCO.IU..VHZ.2012.131

I have aslo downloaded the SAC file and had a listen. This is one quake as EMSC has it in my opinion. I can't detect a second at all. Notably both the quakes are NOT in the QED files yet despite there being later entries which suggests to me they are having some sort of problem with it.

edit on 11/5/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Yes, high frequency is above 5-10 Hz, just eyeballing it.

The signals, as you point out, are big enough to stick out of the noise over at a second station, so I kicked the question over to the seismologist at CVO for an opinion. Defrosting lake? We saw some similar ones from Newberry a month or so ago. Volcanoes make interesting noises.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnVidale

Olivine

Those Medicine Lake pops are jets - clearly they are sonic from the timing on the stations in the area.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
If you use recent epicenters as points. The last mildly moderate mid-west quakes. Indiana, Oklahoma and Texas. It almost looks like you'd get a right angle triangle. It's kinda like that Bermuda triangle- 'cept it's earthquakes. And, the triangle it's a right angle triangle. Also, I'd have to forget about the other most northerly fracked up quakes in Ohio. Also, the more westerly quake in Texas. Right. I shouldn't forget the ones on the border between Colorado and New Mexico. Gosh, golly-gee. I mustn't forget Utah. Yes. I heard a report the other night detailing the fact they had very few inspectors and very many, oil and gas wells. I think a fairly fair representation of inspector to well ratio by state is about: three dozen inspector for every 10 -20 thousand wells.

Did I forget Wyoming? What's up with that? I hope you guys aren't big nervous Nellies like myself. Of course you're not. My mania is epic. Did I tell you guys I think there's going to be a tsunami on Lake Erie. Poor Buffalo. Haven't you suffered enough? The Bills and Bethelham should have been sufficient punishments.

Oh. On Yellowstone. There's been some tiny quakes. So, if nothing else, it's below background levels.
I will not make a prediction about the 20th. Nor will I try to make the argument that the Azerbaijani quakes were lunar.(hint- reservoir) Anyway. I really think there may be a sudden burst of activity north of Yellowstone lake.

There is constant and slightly elevated activity northwest of Yellowstone. With activity constant all the way over to Washington. Utah and Wyoming are active. Nuff said, I'm a boob.
There seems to be a line that wants to run from south to north, right through India into China. I wouldn't be surprised by a large mid Asian quake either.

www.news9.com...

www.ksla.com...

(Have to laugh at newscaster. Disaster?)(I'm laughing at her particular description of this specific event. I'm not laughing at the thought of a major disaster due to frickin' frackin' )

Here's a link for Puterman. I know it will make him mental. Puterman, you best ignore it or you risk having a stroke. Don't say you weren't warned and I won't comment on this topic further.

planetsave.com...

In Arkansas there is an arc of small quakes.
www.katv.com...

Here's a study in Utah. A bunch of scientists are trying to predict the next "big one". How about this? The next "big one" will be real soon because the "big brains in the beauracracy" think it's a freakin' great idea to drill all over siesmic zones.

www.sltrib.com...

www.npr.org...

www.rdmag.com...

www.msnbc.msn.com...

edit on 11-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnVidale

Any chance of a spectrograph of that time period? I can't get any publicly available seismos within a reasonable distance so i can't do one myself.

Thanks.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

Well of course you just knew I would look at it. Most of it is of course the usual warmist drivel but this interested me:

In a 2009 study by the Carnegie Institution, it was found that even just the low atmospheric pressure of a typhoon was enough to trigger earthquakes near Taiwan.

That has been a contention of mine around the Reykjanes Ridge as it seems to have a little swarm at the start of the hurricane season.

Then you get this:

The frequency of large earthquakes has seemed to be increasing, but with the limited nature of records on the matter, it’s hard to tell for sure.

At this point all credibility went out of the window. Limited nature of records? There are just about as many records for earthquakes going back just about as far, as there are for the climate warming global change catastrophe the BIG difference being that the earthquake records have not been faked. Despite this it is not enough? Yet it is enough to screw the world for money (because it has nothing to do with climate). Lying weasels.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I put it on Facebook, lacking a better way to post a figure.

www.facebook.com...

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

There is constant and slightly elevated activity northwest of Yellowstone. With activity constant all the way over to Washington. Utah and Wyoming are active. Nuff said, I'm a boob.

You're not a boob Eric. I have thought for some months now that the Yellowstone "hot spot" has moved to the northwest. Of course I have no proof, just a feeling from the activity there and hardly any in the park itself.

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
more on post by muzzy

Icon stacking not a problem now, they shifted the quakes (Balleny Is)

Seems it takes the LDEO team about 2 days to finalize their estimates, but I haven't got older lists to check.
That Easter Island 6.0 dropped to 5.9
I did a reworking of the page to allow for revisions and alterations, and used "a" marked icons to show the most recent "detections". Might as well start off prepared for adjustments.
LDEO v2
the password is still atsquakewatchers

USGS are still not listing any of the 4 Balleny "moderate" quakes
and Geofon only one of them
Thats pretty poor IMO

If the Antarctic Plate is playing up I want to know about it

edit on 11-5-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Magnitude
Date-Time
Friday, May 11, 2012 at 18:48:30 UTC
Friday, May 11, 2012 at 09:48:30 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Depth
19.8 km (12.3 miles)
Region
CYPRUS REGION
Distances
93 km (57 miles) SSE of Famagusta, Cyprus
111 km (68 miles) ESE of Limassol, Cyprus
120 km (74 miles) SE of NICOSIA, Cyprus
133 km (82 miles) WNW of BEIRUT, Lebanon
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 13.5 km (8.4 miles); depth +/- 5.8 km (3.6 miles)
Parameters
NST=187, Nph=195, Dmin=105.8 km, Rmss=1.18 sec, Gp= 43°,
M-type=body wave magnitude (Mb), Version=8
Source
Magnitude: USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)
Event ID
usb0009n7k

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

Still using the old list eh?

you forgot your link.
earthquake.usgs.gov...

I see the newfangledrealtimeearthquakemap are starting to list the locations as distance from ......
eg that one is 76km s of ayia napa, cyprus

heres the newfangledquakedetails for that quake

posted on May, 11 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

thanks still learning and dont know how to imbed stuff just yet lol

new topics

top topics

<< 130  131  132    134  135  136 >>

join