It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Just got a 4.61 off the New Brighton coast at 13k's deep.

Largest since last Saturday's 5.28 at 1:21am

Hope this isn't going to lead on to larger ones tonight or next couple of days, as warned by the Moon Man (12th to 15th increased risk)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Oh, I see, that explains allot, since my program is showing the quake again! So this happens when they are changing the ID

So no need to put on my conspiracy hat

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

No offence taken at all, actually I value your opinions and your posts are the main reason you won't be flamed back. You seem to have a good grasp on what is happening, I just wanted to throw a couple more tools to help people look at all possibilities. I have always been intrigued by plate tectonics and volcanism and just here to learn.When I have some more time I will be going back through all the threads to glean some more wisdom from the valued members of ATS. I have a lot more to contribute to this thread and will throw in a few eye opening articles, theories, and yes a few of them may be a little out there but all in the process of further knowledge and advancement. Thank you and have a nice day!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
On the up again?

Magnitude mb 5.0
Region NEAR EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
Date time 2012-01-12 15:26:32.0 UTC
Location 36.96 N ; 141.75 E
Depth 40 km
Distances 78 km E Iwaki (pop 357,309 ; local time 00:26:32.6 2012-01-13)
90 km SE Namie (pop 21,866 ; local time 00:26:32.6 2012-01-13)

Source parameters not yet reviewed by a seismologist

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed the string of very shallow 4's, 3's and 2's from Mexico to Montana over the last few days?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I was wondering if any of the experts had any thoughts on this.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I posted a question last week about the amount of 5+ quakes north and east of Australia, but I got no response.

Does the amount of moderate quakes in this area sound any alarms on this bitchin' thread?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Oh CR*P!

Just woke up to the fact that today is FRIDAY 13th

That can't be good in a city that's getting around 18 quakes per day!

If we get thru today without a 5+ I'll start to calm down

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Sorry I'm new to the thread.

Are you from NZ or Japan?

Sorry for asking but you mentioned it.

We don't feel many here in my part of Canada.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Nah - we won't get a 5+ today... cause they only pop up when you least expect them and today would be just too predictable lol

Have to say I don't like the little ones popping up in Lincoln again, after having been all offshore for a while - that's the one I really worry about. Or that random little shake under lake Ellesmere the other day (11/1) - didn't like that either

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I noticed those too...getting a bit too close to home

There's nobody around here at the moment so I can't get an informed second opinion.
Oh well, just have to go back to my fossils!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

NZ (Christchurch) mate

Been too quite since that 4.69 last night...

We've had over 8000 quakes since 4th Sept 2010 (7.1 mag).

The one that killed 182 people here was a 6.3 on Feb 22nd 2011
edit on 12-1-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added text

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Frack. lost what i wrote cause i'm an idiot.
my head is full of glue
quakes are predictable. they will be more accurate in the future with relaible forecasts. it's math. giant's causeway is like a beehive. hexagons. bubbles make shape. geometry is the key. faults have right angle. volcano chains have arcs. all we need is the full equation.

There is a lull. Natural gas is at a low price. it needs to increase. oil is now increasing because of a plan to provoke Iran to help investment and start a new boom and expansion in gas fields.

If you though fracking was bad. The idiots are supersizing it like a bad McDonald's meal. Now we got super frack fracking, muther fruckers.

glue oozing out of my head.
business.financialpost.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Has anyone noticed the string of very shallow 4's, 3's and 2's from Mexico to Montana over the last few days?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

I was wondering if any of the experts had any thoughts on this.

Might be due to this.

Some earthquakes expected along Rio Grande Rift in Colorado and New Mexico, new study says

www.physorg.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Could be tell-tell....

I just watched an episode on the History Channel of How the Earth was Made on Yellowstone....

They stated that there will be signs to indicate an imminent eruption:

1. Increase in earthquakes (check)
2. Raise in land elevation (check)
3. Water changes (check)
4. Magma level increase (check)

All of things were verified to be happening as of 2009 by seismologists, and have scientists on the 'concerned' side....

Not fear mongering; just stating the facts.

This is quite interesting

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

1. Increase in earthquakes (check)
2. Raise in land elevation (check)
3. Water changes (check)
4. Magma level increase (check)

1. Increase in earthquakes (NOT check) there is little activity.
2. Raise in land elevation (NOT check) there has been deflation.
3. Water changes (NOT check) None that I am aware of recently since the heating up of one area.
4. Magma level increase (NOT check) Eh? What magma level increase? Current theory has the 'plume' cooling.

Of course if you would like to provide sources to prove otherwise?

All of things were verified to be happening as of 2009 by seismologists

And subsequently proved not to be the case.

edit on 13/1/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Forgive me if my geography is wrong but are any of the quakes on that map actually anywhere near the Rio Grande?

I am also curious as to how there is spreading when the American plate is supposedly moving SW?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

U.S. Geological Survey
Fact Sheet 100-03
Tracking Changes in Yellowstone's Restless Volcanic System

The Yellowstone area is one of the most seismically active parts of the United States, but the frequency of earthquakes varies dramatically and is related to other events in this active volcanic system. Precise measurements of elevation made regularly since the 1970s document the rise and fall (shown diagrammatically here) of the ground surface in the Yellowstone Caldera, thought to be caused by movements of magma (molten rock) or hydrothermal (hot, watery) fluids beneath the surface. The spectacular earthquake swarm of late 1985 may have been caused by the escape of hydrothermal fluids through the impermeable rock layer above the magma reservoir, which also initiated an episode of subsidence in the caldera.
pubs.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Sorry, out of date. That was 2004.

GPS

Peaked in 2009 and now going down.

Cumulative energy since 01/01/2009

The WHOLE of that energy by the way over the three years is approximately the equivalent of a single Mag 4.4

Cumulative numbers over the 3 years

I should add that the numbers on my graph are all above mag 1.0

The USGS graph includes quakes under 1.0 down to about Mag -0.3

edit on 13/1/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
It looks like the far northern end of the Cascadia might have had a slip: Mag 4.7 USGS event page

Made me nervous because I was watching the Rainier seismos in GEE. There was a tiny Mag 1.0 just south of the volcano about 22 minutes before these Mag 4.7 traces started scrolling. I thought something might have started cooking on the mountain.

edit on 1/13/2012 by Olivine because: add info & link

edit on 1/13/2012 by Olivine because: and spelling

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Weird past 24 hours. I saw that too, was wondering when that area would get another jolt.

5 quakes South of Africa, 2 South Sandwich Isles, lots of action down South in the past 48 hrs. I see a lot of 2s. More recently a 4.5 @ 129km depth and then a 5.0 @ 113km depth in the Hindu Kush, Afghan region. The whole EQ vibe seems a bit off today, more action than usual all around, lots of small tremors near the West Coast, more than I could possibly count using EQ3D.
edit on 13/1/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join