It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 124
<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pasiphae

Yes, looks pretty innocuous to me. I remember seeing it come in now. and after saying "OMG the end of the world just happened" to my other half I forgot about it.

The blue, orange and yellow lines are the faults. Basically this is the San Jacinto faulting zone according to the fault layer and not actually the San Andreas zone. The white line very top right is the San Andreas.

Link for the earthquake

edit on 30/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
As regards earthquakes and CMEs and Solar Flares and stuff I thought I would tale a look at Solar Flux. I got hold of the data from October 2004 and had just copied it when the site was 'suspended'.

Anyway here is the Solar Flux from October 2004 to today. Notice when the largest flux was (the is the 7th by the way)

Sorry, it is VERY long (
)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Linkypoos? They are wonderful things and help us to know what on earth you are talking about.

There was a 4. something in california a few days ago that made the news because people actually felt it.

Residents were quoted as hearing a boom. Like in this article.

www.contracostatimes.com...

My main question is: Are 'booms' common in small quakes?

edit on 30-4-2012 by stanguilles7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

I have no idea as to whether they are common or not but.................

.......my observation would be that I would think it more likely that a sonic boom type sound would be heard in a smaller earthquake than in a larger one. Reasoning being in a small earthquake the smaller amount of energy is being discharged over a very much shorter period. A short sharp burst - like a sonic boom.

In a bigger earthquakes the energy may be released over a (relatively) much longer period and the could be more than one 'face' to the rupture - in other words multiple ruptures. This together with all the other ground motions would mask any 'boom' if it was present.

If I listen to s mall quake on the audio I get a 'pop'. If i listen to a larger quake at the same rate I get a rumble. Basically this is the sme mechanism.

Anyway that is what i think, but I could be completely wrong.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Suicides have Greeks on edge before election
By Erik Kirschbaum
ATHENS | Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:27am EDT
www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/28/us-greece-election-suicide-idUSBRE83R08N20120428

ATHENS (Reuters) - On Monday, a 38-year-old geology lecturer hanged himself from a lamp post in Athens and on the same day a 35-year-old priest jumped to his death off his balcony in northern Greece. On Wednesday, a 23-year-old student shot himself in the head.

(...)

Police said the geology lecturer, Nikos Polyvos, who hanged himself, was distraught because a teaching job offer had been blocked due to a blanket hiring freeze in the public sector.

(...)

(Additional reporting by Renee Maltezou; editing by Elizabeth Piper)

Greek -

www.fimes.gr/2012/04/nikos-polyvos-aytoktonia/
www.newsbomb.gr/koinwnia/story/130678/aytoktonise-38hronos-lektoras-toy-panepistimioy-athinon

Fimes(google translation)

Read the biography of Nick Palyvou:

Nick Palyvou

Researcher Geologist (Elefth. Professional)
Lecturer Department. Geology University / University of Athens (UOA) in the appointment

Recent jobs:
-Visiting 407/80, Department of Geography, University Harokopio [March 1, 2010 - 31 Aug. 2010]
-Ext. Fellow (researcher), Geodynamic Institute [1 Sept. 2009 - 31 Dec 2009]
-Visiting 407/80, Department of Geography, University Harokopio [March 1, 2009 - 31 Aug. 2009]
-Ext. Fellow (Research), Department of Geography, University Harokopio [1 Dec. 2006 - July 31 2008] 2008]
-Assegnista di Ricerca, Istituto Nazionale di Geofisica e Vulcanologia (Roma), sezione Roma 1, UF Tettonica Attiva [1 May 2003 - November 30. 2006]

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

it seems that if it was a common occurrence it would happen pretty often... daily (the booming sounds followed by shaking). why are people so confused by it now? is it possible more shallow quakes are happening? the more shallow ones being louder? i know there are not more quakes overall but are the types of quakes changing? i'm pretty new to all this.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Certainly an interesting 'coincidence one might say (regarding the 10th of March 2011 solar info you provided)

BTW, I might end up being 4 days early with my big quake prediction for around the 14-th-16th May, as there's apparently a lunar eclipse happening on the 20th, while most of the planets I mentioned are still aligned, and that could add some significance .

I've seen a number of references now to a huge tsunami being generated around Northern Japan, around that 20th May date.

Got to say that this month worries me more than any other in a longtime...I really hope it's a non-event!
edit on 1-5-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Another quake of 5.6 in Mexico.

The epicenter was in Guerrero Mexico.

www.eluniversal.com.mx...
edit on 1-5-2012 by lke123 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Small quake in Wyoming. M4.0 - Green River, Wyoming
That's a bit unusual for that area, no?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Update: This event has now been deleted after review by a seismologist.

edit on 5/1/12 by AnonymousCitizen because: event deleted

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Normally, I'd say nothing is unusual about a quake in Wyoming because they get quakes in Wyoming.
'Cept nothing is normal when you live on Gasplay Alley in state of Oiltopia...

What does the Green River Basin have with common with other basins?

Shale.
Frack it.
There's a gas/oil field within a short distance to the northeast of the epicenter.

www.marketwire.com...

edit on 1-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Got to love those dissapearing dots. USGS, home of the algorithmicaly challenged.

AX
FTNWO

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
4.9 Wyoming

Type: Earthquake
78 minutes ago
Magnitude: 4.9
DateTime: Tuesday May 1 2012, 17:11:18 UTC
Region: Wyoming
Depth: 10 km
Source: CSEM-EMSC Feed

quakes.globalincidentmap.com...

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Something is whacky. I checked USGS and they had the quake in the southwest corner of Wyoming. I knew there was an earthquake in the general area. But when I checke the Tetons and Yellowstone it was obvious the earthquake happened to the east of Yellowstone. So, it is in eastern Wyoming. I don't know if it was 4.9M. That seems a bit high. But maybe.

Usually, the only thing you see in the east of the state is mining explosions.

To add, I don't know why they're not posting it. It's in Wyoming and you can also see the trace in South Dakota.

I keep editing because I figured they'd figured it out by now. What the heck? They can't post a simple earthquake. Someone has reviewed it. They took the original down. It was a real earthquake. So, that I don't need worry too much I'll make up a bogus quake alert to satisfy myself.

Earthquake Report

Somewhere in Wyoming. Maybe near Casper. It's a nice name- like the friendly ghost.
It's let say not so deep. Maybe 10 km.
It's not that big. Maybe 3.3M.
Maybe a couple people felt it.
Wyoming is sparcely poplulated. And Dick Cheney and his new heart live there as well. Yellowstone is a volcano and a park you'll find in Wyoming. There's lots of gas and oil in Wyoming. That's all I really know i think.

You can see the earthquake on this station which is east Yellowstone.
quake.utah.edu...

edit on 1-5-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
So the global incident map is showing two quakes in Wyoming but USGS is not. I read on another topic here that the "quakes" were removed because of fracking???? Something is wacky with all this.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Right! But, the last time I checked there was no fracking going on in NE Wyoming.

And no, Casper is much further central and much further South than the spot for the NE Wyo. quake.

Live Earthquakes Map

Tuesday May 1 2012, 17:12:10 UTC 3 hours ago Wyoming 4.0 0.8 USGS Feed Detail
Tuesday May 1 2012, 17:11:17 UTC 3 hours ago Wyoming 4.8 8.0 CSEM-EMSC Feed Detail

I zoomed in on the 4.8 map and it looks like railroad.

Okay, I phoned Gillette, Wyo which is the closest town NW of the supposed quake and they felt nothing whatsoever.
edit on 1/5/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The Fake Quake of 2012... that is what the story says:
Green River quake report doesn't shake out

But it doesn't explain the NE "quake" that is not on most quake maps.

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Green River is closer to the SE Wyo 4.0 quake listed. They have fracking and quakes are common there.

The OTHER one though!!!

They should do a Fake Quake report for the other one (4.8) in NE Wyo. too - Gillette, Wyo. No fracking and quakes rare. www.homefacts.com...

But hey, if they ever had a fake quake anywhere - I am SO glad these are the ones that were "fake".

I took screenshots of the NE one.

edit on 1/5/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae

it seems that if it was a common occurrence it would happen pretty often... daily (the booming sounds followed by shaking). why are people so confused by it now? is it possible more shallow quakes are happening? the more shallow ones being louder? i know there are not more quakes overall but are the types of quakes changing? i'm pretty new to all this.

That's my thought, too. I could easily just not be familiar with it, but I grew up in an earthquake area of eastern Ca, and have experienced at least three small ones i can specifically remember, in addition to there being many, many more in the surrounding areas, and dont remember anyone hearing a boom.

But aagin, it could easily just be more not hearing about it. doesnt mean it wasnt happening.

Can anyone recall anyxeampled from the past where a 'boom' was noted?

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
April Summary for New Zealand

A quiet month, no Mag 5's, largest quake was a mag 4.997ML at Tihoi Rd, Marotiri NW of Lake Taupo on the 16th UTC
Didn't count the 5.3 up in the Havre Trough on the 28th UTC, it didn't show in the Geonet magma data.

Number of Events Comparison
January - 860
February - 690
March - 507
April - 479

Energy Released (Tons of TNT) Comparison
January - 27,196 = to a single 6.169 event
February - 10,629 = to a single 5.898 event
March - 11,932 = to a single 5.932 event
April - 3,006 = to a single 5.533 event

April Breakdown
27 mag 1.243 to1.995 = 0.216 TTNT or one mag 2.771 event
258 mag 2.0 to 2.995 = 40.638 TTNT or one mag 4.283 event
165 mag 3.002 to 3.979 = 467.007 TTNT or one 4.994 event
28 mag 4.001 to 4.977 = 2496.905 TTNT or one 5.4793 event

Just shows ( again) that the number of quakes doesn't really matter, its the energy released that counts, April numbers about 55% of January, but only 11% of the energy released
Heres all the April quakes mapped (interactive)
good luck with that on Dialup

posted on May, 1 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Okay, the Wyoming M4.5 is listed again at USGS, but the probable cause is listed as a quarry blast.

M4.5 Quarry Blast - Sleepy Hollow, Wyoming
USGS

Additional Commentary

Probable large mine blast in the Powder River Basin Mining Area. Felt at Gillette.

new topics

top topics

<< 121  122  123    125  126  127 >>

join