It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 114
<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
c'mon, everyone knows that it isn't about how big the quake is, it's how many people die....everybody needs to get up to speed on this. you coiuld have a 9.0 in the middle of the pacific, but if nobody dies, it's just a blip on the news....but if 5.8 happens in topeka, kansas, with oh say 3 deaths...it'll be covered for an entire week.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Damrod

Or maybe a test of some kind??

Way too deep, and now....................

Magnitude 5.0 IRAN IRAQ BORDER REGION

Location in Google Maps

Derived from Data Source: EMSC
Powered by QVSData

80km depth by the way. The other was quite deep as well at 62km.

This latest one is not showing on the Iranian site yet

edit on 18/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
c'mon, everyone knows that it isn't about how big the quake is, it's how many people die....everybody needs to get up to speed on this. you coiuld have a 9.0 in the middle of the pacific, but if nobody dies, it's just a blip on the news....but if 5.8 happens in topeka, kansas, with oh say 3 deaths...it'll be covered for an entire week.

Solution: Don't watch TV

A 5.8 in Kansas would be a pretty big deal though. A 9.0 should be covered regardless, but hey, regurgitated, imposed corporate media is nothing new.

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerisa
news.ca.msn.com... arm-shakes-new-brunswick-village-2

I know these are not big by any means, but, thier location is highly unusual....

Residents in a small southwestern New Brunswick community may continue to feel minor earthquakes for several more days or even weeks, according to a Natural Resources Canada seismologist. McAdam has been hit with four small earthquakes since Saturday in what is known as an “earthquake swarm.” “Certainly we are seeing what we are calling an earthquake swarm,” said John Adams, a seismologist with Natural Resources Canada. “It is a number of earthquakes all of similar and small size all happening in the McAdam area.” The first earthquake happened at 1:40 a.m. on March 10, which had a magnitude of 2.4. Three minutes later, an aftershock with a magnitude of 1.4 was recorded. Two more earthquakes were recorded on Tuesday within roughly 20 minutes of each other. The small quakes had magnitudes of 2.0 and 1.9 respectively. Adams said these small earthquakes could happen for several more days or even weeks. “We are absolutely certain that they are earthquakes that are underground. They are unpredictable. Of course you don’t know when the next one is going to happen,” he said. Earthquake swarms often happen in Ontario and Canada’s North, Adams said, but do not pose risks. These minor quakes are still unsettling for many people who live in the area. Gloria Nason said her house hasn’t sustained any damage and the only noticeable effect was a picture falling from the wall. But she said the events are scary. “We had two very large bursts of something, they are just like great big bangs like an explosion, very eerie, very scary,” she said She said it felt like “a bunch of dynamite going off.” External Links Natural Resources Canada: Seismogram viewer in St. George

edit on 14-3-2012 by Jerisa because: unusual...

I checked to see if this was posted anywhere on here, and part of it is, but here's the rest of the story, with today's date on the Global Diaster Map hisz.rsoe.hu...

They are calling it "Unusual geological event in Canada on Wednesday, 18 April, 2012 at 06:30 (06:30 AM) UTC"

Here are snippets, but you can visit the full link above:

"Residents were initially rattled awake at 1:40 a.m. on March 10 by a 2.4-magnitude earthquake that was followed three minutes later by a 1.4-magnitude aftershock. People described hearing what sounded like an explosion. Pictures fell off walls. Window panes rattled. Floorboards creaked and groaned. Some houses even shook, while locals, initially, felt a surge of panic that eased, somewhat, by morning with the realization that a bomb had not gone off but a small earthquake had. Three days later: two more earthquakes. And in the five weeks since there have been 35 additional shakes, a steady tide of minor tremours that is a popular topic of conversation among villagers and a seismic anomaly that scientists can’t entirely explain.

“What is happening in McAdam is something called an earthquake swarm,” says Stephen Halchuk, a seismologist with Natural Resources Canada ... what is particularly unusual about what is happening in McAdam is that it is basically happening directly beneath the village — and at a depth of less than one kilometre.One working theory they have to explain the quakes is an early spring thaw. A rapid change in groundwater levels could, perhaps, be causing the underlying rocks to slip and stress, unleashing the multiple shocks."

"
Moody, Connecticut, is another tiny town with an earthquake problem, one dating back hundreds of years and which, today, is the basis of the local high school’s team name: The Noises. The noises in McAdam, meanwhile, have been described by the locals as a loud “bang,” a “boom,” “like dynamite being blown up,” and “a loud thud, like somebody falling out of bed.”

What is interesting is how they're described, like dynamite, explostions... the "booms" I heard here in CO last September, I thought they were earthquakes, they shook the ground, the house, knocked things off the walls, and set off car alarms up and down my street, but the usgs didn't list a quake, just a small 1-something almost 180 miles to the south that happened hours prior. When contacted, they had no explanation. I wonder if these are the same thing, what people report to be hearing around the U.S. and other places in the world?

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I posted a reply on 7.0 Quake: PNG !! that may be of interest.
I notice when people post individual threads they tend to get the nasty comments and wacko's replying and the thread ends up not worth reading, so I rarely read them myself.
That PNG was quite interesting as to the location.
Not sure if any of you regulars picked up on it.
To save repeating heres my reply

and I gave Quake Watch 2012 a mention.
edit on 18-4-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 18 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mountaingirl1111

Similar is happening in Phuket, Thailand with more than 51 small very shallow quakes during past four days. Big explosive/booming sound; like thunder, jet passing breaking sound barrier, etc. 21 houses were also damaged on 17/18 April.

Nothing strange? Only that Phuket does not usually get quakes, only feeling them from remote Pacific tremmours but these are right under Kathu township with interesting geophysical features.

Some geologists ascribe all these quakes as results from the big ones near Sumatra; I just wonder why only in this particular spot and not felt in Krabi, Phang'nga, Langkawi . . .

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Hi Aromaz, long time no see! I note that these booming sounds always seem to be in areas of limestone/karsts/shale and not in basaltic rock areas. Maybe it is the lighter rock that is more responsive to producing the booms as well as the fact that limestones and shales have many 'spaces'.

A bit more info on those quakes.

The Phuket quakes travelled through two faultlines - Ranong and Khlong Marui, which are on the hot list of 14 faultlines.

There were nine mild aftershocks yesterday following the quakes in Phuket on Monday, which damaged 35 homes on the island, said Nithas Phoowatthanakul, director-general of the Mineral Resources Depart-ment.

The aftershocks, measuring 2.1-2.7 on the Richter scale, were felt throughout the province although the twin quakes on Monday were strongest at Tambon Si Sunthorn in Thalang district. The final shock came at 12.18pm and was measured at 3.1, he said.

The first 4.3 quake struck Phuket at 4.44pm on Monday, followed two minutes later by the 5.7 quake.

"Both quakes were separate |phenomena, not that the second |was subsequent to the first," he added.

Source: Asia One Science Tech

And a minute of light relief. Seems Phuket is not immune from scaremongering.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

Very interesting, thanks for posting this, or I wouldn't have known. I am very interested in these so-called swarms everywhere that are producing these audible sounds in various places, especially since these swarms seem to be made up of quakes that are smaller, the size that doesn't usually produce any noticeable effects, but yet are producing such horrendous sounds and oftentimes, shaking as well. So are you there, then, feeling and hearing them? If so, you know what I mean, it is hard to explain the sounds to someone without others attributing them to something "normal". These are ridiculous sounds, that seem to come from everywhere and nowhere at the same time, the sky, the ground, like cannons going off in the street. I'm not buying that they're aftershocks, just because I know that where ours were, they were over 150 miles away from the original quake site.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks for the information on the different types of stone. However, here where I am in Colorado, we have rhyolite, granite, and marble, so I would think that the harder stone wouldn't be so conducive. What do you know about that kind of native rock? Our booms in September of last year were so strong that the knocked stuff around the house and set off car alarms up and down our street and neighborhood. It was terrifying and went on for about 2-3 hours, off and on.

Thanks

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Is this area odd or what??

Earthquake Details earthquake.usgs.gov...

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.
Magnitude
Date-Time
Thursday, April 19, 2012 at 19:09:17 UTC
Friday, April 20, 2012 at 05:09:17 AM at epicenter
Depth
0 km (~0 mile) (poorly constrained)
Region
NEW SOUTH WALES, AUSTRALIA
Distances
54 km (34 miles) W (271°) from CANBERRA, Australia
287 km (179 miles) SW (236°) from Sydney, Australia
379 km (235 miles) SW (229°) from Lake Macquarie, Australia
Location Uncertainty
horizontal +/- 42.4 km (26.3 miles); depth +/- 12.9 km (8.0 miles)
Parameters
Nph= 0, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0.98 sec, Gp= 0,
M-type=local magnitude (ML), Version=4
Source
Magnitude: Geoscience Australia, Canberra, ACT, Australia
Event ID
usc00097iz

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mountaingirl1111

I am afraid I am not an expert on the geology of Colorado but I gather it is a mix of igneous and sedimentary rocks, some in very thick layers. I did discover this jewel of a web page however that should keep you reading for quite some time.

Colorado's geologic history is as complex as it is fascinating. The geology is in turn inextricably entwined with Colorado's human history. That's true everywhere, of course, but it goes double here. Colorado's generous endowments of accessible mineral wealth and fertile farmland were not inevitable birthrights. Things could have turned out quite differently.

This overview ventures a "to the best of our knowledge" summary of Colorado geologic evolution current as of late 2004. Colorado's story still includes many gaps and controversies, often around events and structures shrouded in deep time, deep earth or both. I've attempted to point out the most significant unknowns and disagreements, but often, rightly or wrongly, I've simply taken sides.

If you take nothing else away from this humble attempt, please consider this: Of Colorado's 55 Fourteeners, all but 2 (Longs Peak and Pikes Peak) lie either along the Colorado Mineral Belt or on the shoulders of the Rio Grande Rift. Most of them cluster around the intersection of these two profound lineaments, both which almost certainly cut the full thickness of the lithosphere. This telling elevation distribution reflects a powerful synergy between truly ancient plate processes driven by the cooling of the earth in the presence of gravity and ongoing mantle processes driven by Lord knows what.

Source: Colorado - Geology Overview

This is a wonderful piece of work and in my opinion far from a humble attempt.

By the way, explore the whole of that site. For those who do not know Colorado there are some good photographs.

edit on 19/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Given that Australia is odd I guess that area is odd as well!

Nice little quake:

Of course the earthquake was caused by the large green kryptonite meteorite you can see which is about 8 metres across and has come to rest some 1,200 metres from the epicentre. If you zoom in you can even see the bow wave where it landed.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Hahaha, what could it be?

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Come on Antarctica!!!!

One there and we've got every continent covered for the week. Africa made me think it was possible but not probable. Austrailia makes me start cheering for the earth to hit for the cycle. That's a baseball term for reaching every base once in a game for those more familiar with cricket. I know there's lots of Kiwis out here. And I couldn't tell you what's going on when there playing. All I know is they bounce their pitches.

Go Antarctica Go

The north pole chimed in but it's not a continent.

posted on Apr, 19 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Its tiny and all that but I thought this was was interesting

Mining possibly? I guess in hindsight I probably shouldn't post it until solution is finalised? Sorry :

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ
Is this area odd or what??

Earthquake Details earthquake.usgs.gov...

Yep and whats even odder is USGS reported it

2002-2012 GeoAus results for NSW

not many

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
How fast can the plates all move at one given time? Cant find much info.
It seems like there is a massive push happening at the moment going west from the ring. I can remember reading that the plates move at about the speed that your fingernails grow.
Is it possible for them to speed up by a large amount in a short period of time?

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheKingsVillian

GPS locates to less than a cm in span of days, about a mm given data from a month, I think. So any anomalous motion would have to be smaller than that.

Strainmeters, such as we have along the US West Coast, are even more sensitive to motion on the time scale of hours to weeks.

Seismometers are incredibly sensitive to motion on the times scales of minutes down to a fraction of a second.

There's no a lot of wiggle room to permit significant surges in plate motions.

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzy

I don't see any cycles for the 100 years

Yes more official recorders for sure, but data does go back to 314, its hard to know, just looking at Japan Historic Earthquakes (pdf) that goes back aways, the first entry is the year 679, no month or day, but has co-ords 33.5,130.5, a Mag 6.7,
then year 684/11/29 a mag 8.4 at 32.5,134. does this mean there were none in between?
many years have two events, and down to Mag 6.2, but you would think there would be more. Does this mean they missed recording them? or back in 684 there was just the one Mag 8.4 quake for all of Japan, I doubt it.

edit on 18-4-2012 by muzzy because: add link to pdf

I'm thinking in more resent times as in the last 30 years if there are more detectors around the world, or maybe with today's tech if an earth quake happens anywhere we can detect it and measure it exactly. I'm not sure on this, but I think we need to eliminate any possibilities that we can just detect them better, hence we get more hits in a year.

My un-scientific pattern is that high years are only one or two at most in a row, so I'm suggesting when we have a high year or two things settle down some. We have had two high years in a row, so I'm going to predict this year will be a low number of 7.0s and greater. It might total a little higher than 16 only because Sumatra had two days of quakes, so if we treat Sumatra as one quake event the number will be low.
edit on 20-4-2012 by Xtrozero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thanks, Puterman! Colorado geologic history is interesting... where I live now, one of our big rock formations here is actually remnants of what a volcano to the south of us spit up and it landed here and cooled. Thanks again

<< 111  112  113    115  116  117 >>

join