It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 111
<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Sorry about the inaccessible links. My computers do not tell me whether links are hard or easy to access. I'd certainly prefer that the articles be freely available. Finding the current thoughts on the boundary between the Indian and the Australian plate is actually not that obscure.

I'll just point out two other ways the journals are criticized.

1. The biggest criticism is that they are filled with junk, illustrations look crappy, and the reviewers do not do a thorough enough job and they are too slow, and THEY (and the volunteer editors) should be paid. I.e., the journals have inadequate resources.

2. The people doing the research have to pay too much to the journals to publish their articles. Why should they have to pay so much in addition to the direct cost of the research?

The profit margin is variable but not huge, and numerous of the journals are run by professional societies at a loss, or with the costs mainly borne by libraries that subsidize the individual subscriptions.

So there you have it, every side wishes it costs them less money and someone else pays the bill, and why not the government, except that no one wants to pay their taxes any more, either.

Now the issue comes up if the military just had one less B-1 bomber, if those corporations would just pay more, ... .

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Thailand’s National Disaster Warning Center said a quake hit Thailand on Monday – and the epicenter was in Phuket’s Thalang district. Acting director Burin Wetchbantoeng said that an earthquake of 4.3 magnitude hit in Phuket at 4.44pm with epicenter at Thalang district
from Earthquake Report.Com

Thought I'd share, I'm in Thalang District Phuket Thailand and didn't feel the first one, (was driving) however I've felt at least 3 aftershocks. The last being only 20 minutes ago. I've lived here for many years and never felt anything before. Does Phuket even get quakes? Can someone point to some history or background?
Todays quake was confused with a legit aftershock from northern sumatra and sent people running to the hills after last weeks scare.
Hopefully someone can shed some light on this and help me learn some more. Thanks.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

I'll agree with you about the fact that the Elite of the sciences suppress the knowledge to those who are not in their particular science. I have a hard time accessing documents in my research. I get some but not really all the necessary ones. I understand the motive of these professionals, they don't really want a regular person to figure out something that they are struggling to comprehend with their present disciplines. The regular guy is not bound to form information that is in contradiction to the present consensus of knowledge that they practice. This is a problem to them but it allows the ascension of the sciences also. They fear we jeopardizes their paycheck and research grants and because that affects their life they will not allow us to discover many things and will use known research that they secretly possess to crush our ideas and spirit. That policy is not true science, it is a misfit policy that is used but necessary for their survival in this present world. I can't say it's bad because their research is very expensive and needs a lot of special equipment. Npbody could never get this equipment if the money was split a million ways. The best way for ascension would be to get someone looking at info that people contribute free and work it into science. A person reviewing this info would need an open mind and a knowledge of many things. Sometimes which seems immaterial to one field has much possibilities of enhancing another field. People see things and approach the wrong science many times. I thought I had found a fossil head of a small dinosaur and I actually found an old anvil stone shaped like an animal head.
Oh well, live and learn. I think it's great learning new things. Sometimes things are a little different than we initially think.
edit on 16-4-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by who-me?

In addition to my previous post I found this local news report
which seems to indicate that the Sumatra Quake has reactvated? some more local fault lines. Can this happen?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnVidale

Now the issue comes up if the military just had one less B-1 bomber, if those corporations would just pay more, ... .

And thereby hangs an American tale......

....not just American although they do spend more on war toys than anyone else. If just half of that was put into doing good and curing Fukushima how much better a world this would be, and who care if there are 22 or 11 B1 bombers?

I don't, in fact I don't care if there are none, but I do care if no money is available for proper research without agendas.

edit on 16/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Still can't squeeze a Mag 5 out of NZ! none since the 5.582 at Irene River on 20th March

Reference Number 3691262
Universal Time April 16 2012 at 18:36
NZ Standard Time Tuesday, April 17 2012 at 6:36 am
Latitude, Longitude 38.56°S, 175.81°E
Focal Depth 150 km
Richter magnitude 5.0 (rounded up)
Region Taupo
30 km south-west of Atiamuri
30 km north-west of Taupo
210 km south-east of Auckland

www.geonet.org.nz...

actually a 4.977ML according to the database

Geonet Rapid has something else for it
beta.geonet.org.nz...

or that might be another one, 4.35872 seconds difference from the one posted on database
edit on 16-4-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
from post by JohnVidale

Fulltext pdf uploaded to wordpress, free/out of paywall

jjjtir.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/1-s2-0-s1342937x06000529-main.pdf

Fig. 9. A cartoon depicting the tectonic scenario of the Indian plate and the neighbouring plates. The vectors represent plate motion velocities along the Indian plate margins, computed using NUVEI-1A model (DeMets et al., 1994). Black circle represents the Euler pole of rotation of the India–Australia plate pair. Presence of great earthquakes close to the quadruple plate junctions is noteworthy.

edit on 16-4-2012 by xecoybh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by xecoybh

Thanks, I'd have done that if I were capable of posting figures here.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I am in mourning. Please do not speak to me. The 8-30 day listing is deceased, no more, gone but lovingly remembered.

True to their word however the interactive page IS updating with changes but by 'eck lad 'tis not as easy to follow as t'other.

New Ireland Region 6.2 is now down to Mag 6.1 - Taron, PNG

The new naming is going to be confusing for a while. I do not immediately associate Taron with PNG.

Mag 6.0 Nr. E. Coast Of Honshu. Japan has been increased to a M6.1 - Miyako, Japan

One thing I will say is that with this new system the earthquake ID, or example c0008qvj for that Japan quake, remains the same for the 30 days whereas before it changed to an neic ID such neic_ydbk. This will make it much easier for the 30 days that it hangs around.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lindsay1984
RSOE Alert Map

Just noticed Oklahoma had a 3.9 earthquake on the Wilzetta Fault Line. It was 5km deep. Not very large, but I know we haven't had many on that fault line. The ones we have had were more southeast of OKC.

Actually it is shown as a 5.
www.iris.edu...

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by xecoybh

GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Do you have a summary from the long article of the points you are taking away from it?

What are the newer implications that you noticed the most?

Thx thx.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I posted this on another thread. I would appreciate your response.

"This is my first post. I found it necessary, urgent, to register at this time.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Roughly about 5:12 there was an earthquake near Shafter California. It registered 3.5 on the richter scale. For several years I have looked at the California shake maps and very rarely do you see an earthquake in this area.

This area is due for a big earthquake according to this article.

www.sanluisobispo.com...

So please people living near Bakersfield California be carefull and be prepared. This earthquake can happen between Parkfield CA and the Tejon Pass. 7.0 to 8.0 is not out of the question".
edit on 16-4-2012 by Barrios because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

This event has been reviewed by a seismologist.

Magnitude 6.5 (Preliminary magnitude)

Date-Time

Tuesday, April 17, 2012 at 03:50:16 UTC
Monday, April 16, 2012 at 11:50:16 PM at epicenter

Location 32.670°S, 71.516°W
Depth 67.4 km (41.9 miles) set by location program
Region OFFSHORE VALPARAISO, CHILE

Distances

48 km (30 miles) NNE (17°) from Valparaiso, Chile
122 km (76 miles) NW (319°) from SANTIAGO, Chile
253 km (158 miles) W (275°) from Mendoza, Argentina

Event ID pt12108000

earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on 16/4/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Barrios

That earthquake is 50km away from the San Andreas Fault. The article is about the San Andreas Fault. I don't see why that M3.5 earthquake portends trouble.

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
this one felt very strong, more than the last one which was the strongest since the 2010 earthquake. if we do get more of these i hope they don't approach 2010 levels, i don't look forward to repairing our water tower again :|

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bcccl

Looking at the location on Google Earth, I was wondering just how this would be felt, as it appears to actually have been an on land quake, near populated areas.

Are you close to the epicenter?

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   
nz.news.yahoo.com...

6.5 earthquake hits Chile capital
edit on 16-4-2012 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 16 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

SANTIAGO, Chile - Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper and his wife Laureen were awakened by a major earthquake as they overnighted in Chile's capital of Santiago.

Buildings shook throughout the city at around 12:50 a.m. local time in what the United State Geological Study rated as a 6.5 earthquake centred 112 kilometres from the city.

Harper's director of communications, Andrew MacDougall, said the prime minister and his wife remained in their rooms and were fine.

Still, the event shook up the media and delegation traveling with Harper who were wrapping up a four-day trip to Colombia and South America.

Chile's National Emergency Office of the Interior and Public Security Ministry ordered the evacuation of certain regions as a precaution.

Interesting that here's another country that a prominent Prime Minister has been visiting, and a strong earthquake has struck...UK Prime Minister, David Cameron, was visiting Indonesia when that region was stuck by 2 recent megaquakes...hmmm

The message might be to get the hell out of dodge, while these 'dignitaries' are visiting your country!

edit on 16-4-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: spelling

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Quake revised to 6.7 magnitude @ 37km depth.
edit on 17/4/12 by murkraz because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceJockey1
reply to post by bcccl

Looking at the location on Google Earth, I was wondering just how this would be felt, as it appears to actually have been an on land quake, near populated areas.

Are you close to the epicenter?

the epicentre was in valparaíso, which is two hours away. the last two in march were more wobbly, the first one especially was short followed by fluid movement not unlike being on a ship at sea. i have lived in chile for over twenty years and the last few have been the most active in memory, the 2010 one in particular really hit home that we are living at the mercy of nature.

edit: it felt similar to the 7.1 in march, the difference is that one shook in a more south-north direction whereas this one was more in an east-west manner; i can tell because i have piles of books against the wall and this time they teetered in a not-good 2010 way).
edit on 17-4-2012 by bcccl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 108  109  110    112  113  114 >>

join