It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

No you can't say fairer than that...fair dinkum boss.

.....goes off scratching head how to prove knicker elastic....wish I had Einsteins brains!

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Hi, a little question, are there any links to sites about volcanic activity at Toba?
Not that i think it is about to blow, but as there have been quake's and this last one was not far from the megaquake that occured in 2004.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by randyvs
reply to post by angelchemuel

Angel, Knicker elastic ? Do have any pics ? Perhaps you can model them for us ?
Oh please.

Yes

No

No

.....and sorry no!

Stretchy rainbows.....ping!
Jane

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Ah shukums it was worth a try.
Elastically speaking of course.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Okaaay, I am asking you! There was a high absorbtion signal, which seems to correlate to solar incoming. Other than that what are you suggesting? I have no idea what this instrument is in relation to earthquakes as the frequency it is tracking appears to be 30 MHz, which is about 29,995 Hz higher than earthquake frequencies. Are you aware of some connection?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Being a rather ignorant layman . . .

How easy would it be for you to use your graph and lead my type by the hand into understanding your assertion from the graphs you posted?

Looks as if the region still has an 8.1 or so capability. That one hardly scratched the surface.

ETA:

There was a 7.6 here in 2009 and 7.7 in 2010

Purty please with nice wishes on top?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Only that it seems to show haarp resonating at the exact same time of the quake. Unless there is some mistake I'm making. If so apologies all the way around.

A disturbance in the ionosphere.
Maybe quakes can cause this disturbance, I don't know I just try to post the things that pertain.
edit on 10-1-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by earthling42

Not sure about that one. There are several threads on ATS including this one... What's going on at Lake Toba which did not get very far but other than that i am not aware of any specific sites that are worth looking at. There are many sites with details of Toba.

Toba is of course active, and there is activity around the lake, and under the lake. I believe that I read somewhere that since the last eruption the floor of the caldera has risen by 450m. ETA: Silly me it was in the post by Aromaz that I linked to and it was 750m

When there are big quakes by Toba I would agree with you that it has to be a concern.

You could start your search here

Toba on ATS

edit on 10/1/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I think I meant to say, two or three days before or after apex......Ah!, ya, that's the ticket

2ND

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Indonesia lifts tsunami warning after Sumatra quake
BANDA ACEH, Indonesia | Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:16pm EST

www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/10/us-indonesia-earthquake-idUSTRE8091WC20120110

BANDA ACEH, Indonesia (Reuters) - Indonesia lifted a tsunami warning on Wednesday after a 7.3 magnitude earthquake struck off northern Sumatra, calming local residents who had earlier fled their houses to higher ground.

(...)

A witness at the beach in Aceh said the sea level had decreased following the quake, which also happened before a 2004 quake off Aceh created a tsunami that killed over 200,000 people around the Indian Ocean.

Alfan, a resident of Banda Aceh, said he joined about one hundred people gathered on a bridge in the town to watch the surface of a river to check if there was any change in its surface height, showing locals remain nervous about a big wave reaching shore.

(...)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

Indeed it has been shown that large quakes can cause some disturbance in the ionosphere but if you read the info on that experiment it says the it monitors the are "above the experiment", i.e. above Alaska. As I said there was a solar spike at around the same time.

I don't see that particular experiment as having much relevance to earthquakes, whereas I thought the magnetosphere measurements might, but like the moon I can find no positive correlation.

At the end of the day they probably all have an effect but somehow I doubt we can separate the elements to point the finger. The main disturbance on the magnetodohdah is at 12:00 and is a tight burst. The quake was at 18:37:00 UTC

edit on 10/1/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Thanks PuterMan

edit on 10-1-2012 by earthling42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Very well then. I assume my rightful place and leave those resolutions up to the more educated I'm sure. Yourself included my good Puterman.
I myself have learned a bit right there as per earthquakes and the ionosphere. Knowledge that won't be forgot.
edit on 10-1-2012 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
And so my dear friends we trundle past the start of another UTC day and behind the scenes the USGS gnomes are busy paring down earthquakes. "The fresher the better" they cry. "Fresh earthquakes are easier to pare down, why if we really tried we could whittle them down to nothing."

But patience gentle reader. You may need to tarry to the 8th day to see the result of their labour.

Global CMT Project Moment Tensor

USGS WPhase Moment Solution

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I wish the Russians would do Mw, then we could keep a check on USGS easier.
current USGS Mw=7.3, mb = 6.7 ( 37), ML = 6.8 ( 12)
RAS Ms= 7.1 (28) mb = 6.7 (19) page here

It may come down even further than 7.2Mw, as you point out on the Tensor data, the Russians do tend to be a bit high on their Ms

ETA: GFZ has 7.1Mw
edit on 10-1-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Thanks for the map PM.

Looks like to me this 7.3 is a late aftershock of the 9.1, even though it is on the other side of the junction.

Other side of the junction? Oh no! Let's hope this is not like Japan. Cause when they jump the zone line to the outer plate, means something nasty is coming next on the inner plate.

I have been expecting a bigger quake for some time now, but a good bit south of there, and south of the 8.5.

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
10 January 2012 Last updated at 19:17 GMT

Cayman vents are world's hottest
By Matt McGrath Science reporter, BBC World Service

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16493787

Open Access

Hydrothermal vent fields and chemosynthetic biota on the world's deepest seafloor spreading centre

Nature Communications 3, Article number: 620 | doi:10.1038/ncomms1636
Received 13 July 2011 | Accepted 07 December 2011 | Published 10 January 2012

www.nature.com/ncomms/journal/v3/n1/full/ncomms1636.html

Abstract

The Mid-Cayman spreading centre is an ultraslow-spreading ridge in the Caribbean Sea. Its extreme depth and geographic isolation from other mid-ocean ridges offer insights into the effects of pressure on hydrothermal venting, and the biogeography of vent fauna. Here we report the discovery of two hydrothermal vent fields on the Mid-Cayman spreading centre. The Von Damm Vent Field is located on the upper slopes of an oceanic core complex at a depth of 2,300 m. High-temperature venting in this off-axis setting suggests that the global incidence of vent fields may be underestimated. At a depth of 4,960 m on the Mid-Cayman spreading centre axis, the Beebe Vent Field emits copper-enriched fluids and a buoyant plume that rises 1,100 m, consistent with >400 °C venting from the world's deepest known hydrothermal system. At both sites, a new morphospecies of alvinocaridid shrimp dominates faunal assemblages, which exhibit similarities to those of Mid-Atlantic vents.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

" the junction"
"the zone line"
"outer plate"
"inner plate"

what kind of lingo is this

I had a look on Google Earth at where the quake was, and it looked to me like it was on the Indian Plate west of the Burma Plate
usgs GE link with Plate Boundries marked
huge Plate Boundries map

edit on 11-1-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I've been without a computer for too long. Now I have another I shudder at all the info I've lost, all the links, all the favorites. Then I went to look at the Sumatra quake on Google Earth, of course I haven't re downloaded that either. But I see there is a new add on called Earth Alerts. Is this any better than the quake alert add on? Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Thanks as always Puterman for being on the ball and continuing on with the 2012 thread. I won't be around as much, but will look in when I can.

Here's to another interesting and informative year in Fragile Earth! (raises glass)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   
The 7.3 quake yesterday in Sumatra bothers me a bit. The media here in Canada didn't mention it hardly at all, I heard a quick blurb on the radio on the way into work and that was it. It wasn't even on our national news last night.Why would they tells us about a little 4-5 and nothing about a 7.3? I think the msm hides a lot of these quakes. Anyway that is not the main reason for this post. I heard about anti-podal points on Coast to coast. Steve Quayle needs the credit for this, not sure if you have heard of this guy but he has some interesting ideas. I found a site for this anti-podal theory and it seems to work great, here is the link.

www.freemaptools.com...

Still working on a theory but would like input as to what others may think,There was a 5.0 in Ecuador yesterday and the anti podal point for that quake was...you guessed it Sumatra. I have been following quakes for a while now and believe that the sun and moon also play into this and possibly HAARP.

The reason I throw HAArp into this, and this is a big stretch so please easy on the flames
but if anyone is into numerology I did a quick calculation and came up with this.

The quake happened on Jan.11/2012 which breaks down to an 8, 8 is the money number and who loves money?
The elites, or TPTB, could it be possible that HAARP is responsible?
: This is the part that is a ;little out there. Anyway I hope this anti podal app will help to get to the quake mysteries.

stevequayle.com...

S&F for ya

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join