It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 106
<< 103  104  105    107  108  109 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Quatemala anyone?

M ap location of 4.6

Not a biggie, but more Central/Southern America movement.

Magnitude mb 4.6
Region GUATEMALA
Date time 2012-04-13 13:49:55.0 UTC
Location 14.85 N ; 92.13 W
Depth 102 km
Distances 798 km SE Puebla (pop 1,392,099 ; local time 08:49:55.9 2012-04-13)
16 km SE Tapachula (pop 197,961 ; local time 08:49:55.9 2012-04-13)
10 km SW Malacatán (pop 14,923 ; local time 07:49:55.9 2012-04-13)
5 km W Catarina (pop 3,040 ; local time 07:49:55.9 2012-04-13)

EMSC

Creeping down to Ecuador and the next 8+ ???

edit on 13/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
never mind... deleted post.
edit on Fri Apr 13th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jadedANDcynical
reply to post by Pharyax

I wish it would cookie the settings I chose on the left.

If you look in the upper right hand corner of the map, there is a "save settings" button which will bring up a pop up (allow them for the site if you have a blocker) which will set you a cookie. It will save the settings and even the particular map view that is in the window when you set the cookie.

Nice find! I missed that!

Still liked the older format.. the boxes were HUGE when it was a 7+, but on the new map, they look like 5.0mags...

BTW, they still DO have the old format, its just at the bottom right corner. so thats good..

edit on 4/13/2012 by Pharyax because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
In my 'umble opinion I believe the Oregon off shore 5.9/6.0 was actually 2 with 58 seconds of separation and with 2 very small ones after that. The second one has never been reported as far as I can see, at least not on USGS. This second event is not listed on PNSN either.

I am fairly certain that the second one is in the same area as the first but I have not done a triangulation on that. Since it shows in the second seismogram which is closer to the event, and with the same separation, I think this has to be at the same spot or thereabouts.

Taking a step back the second one may not be in the same area since at J01D the separation seems to be about 40 seconds not 58 which would place it in a different area. Further research needed.

This is it in GEE

and this is the spectrum

The two faint marks which I thought was ghosting at first is not. It is actually two more very small earthquakes which are most likely local to Mt St Helens as they are higher frequency short pops.

These are from PB.B201 an instrument on Mt St Helens. The seismogram look like this.

From a much closer seismo station the plot looks like this

I am too tired, I can't do this tonight. I am thinking it is somewhere south of TDH (Mt Hood) but TDH has a huge splodge just at the time I want that is either a telemetry signal, or is the quake I am looking for that has been clipped.

Maybe it will drop out of the wood work sometime in the next day or two.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Are you saying the second quake was from Mt St Helens? Or are you saying it's just not in the same place as the first and there are two faint traces from Mt St Helens afterward?

Whatever the case, it shows the doubling effect. Or, double taps. Which when we watched Yellowstone's swarm, we saw several versions of double taps. And in that case there is a very good chance it was fluid exploding through channels. In Yellowstone's swarm case, that may have been water. In the case of Oregon and Mt St Helens, that's magma in some tubes moving and blasting toward the surface.

Oh we're not the only ones that seem to have noticed all the quakes. The weather networks have stories. I'm sure you can find them. Coincidence. I'm giggling as hard as when I'm thinking about Daleks. Coincidence.
Nothing doing.

You know what? What the hell just happened? Something did. And I haven't a clue what set the whole thing into action. But I suspect Indonesia had to do with new volcanism. The area has had quite a history yet is far away from the island of Sumatra and the big fault.

Etna is erupting. But it's been doing that since January. And before that. It is curious however thinking about previous quakes in the Mediterranean around Southern Europe. Volcanic?

I think we had a magma storm on the inside of the planet. We are being squeezed. For a period earthquakes had lulled and the earth seemed almost to stagnant. This is the like the lift you get when your on a swing and you feel weightless. The earth stretched out and it paused, and reached far to it's maximum outer extent, Then things change in the dance. The earth compresses and gets squeezed. This creates the internal weather. The pressure causes magma to wave. Devi's hole tsunami. Earthquakes move the water in the ground, it can move the magma and vice vera, the magma can cause earthquakes. The earth is rocking and so am I. That's the Autism. Magma pushes through channels looking for a way to burst forth. To find and outlet. But they're all blocked with these damn hardend plugs and piles. Not finding any exits, these magma rivers look for another avenue or place of less resistence. But as the course turns, there's outburst of pressure which causes an earthquake. The magma still has energy. So it moves to another region as it pushes along.

Anyway. That's kinda what I see. I must confess some of ideas which gave me the vision was from someone's correspondence. Instantly I could see what they were decribing.

The double coupling effect resulted from fluid ruptures. The large earthqukes were not triggering the other areas from waves or adding stresses. The same phenomenon was happening globallly. Along certain zones. The science type guy I heard talking about these quakes said that we have not seen the West Coast so active all at once. Of course he mention there have been other times where we've had quakes on the west. I believe he was refering to the 1960's. Hmmmm.

There was one science type dube who I liked. He was the one in the canoe out getting dirty and finding the old tsunami levels in Washington or somewhere Oregon way. He said it could happen any time and said they'd maybe have to start running up the hill at any moment...
edit on 13-4-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ericblair4891

Whatever the case, it shows the doubling effect. Or, double taps. Which when we watch Yellowstone we saw several versions of double taps. And in that case there is a very good chance it was fluid exploding through channels. In Yellowstone's case, that may have been water. In the case of Oregon and Mt St Helens, that's magma in some tubes moving and blasting toward the surface.

You know what? What the hell just happened? Something did. And I haven't a clue what set the whole thing into action. But I suspect Indonesia had to do with new volcanism. The area has had quite a history yet is far away from the island of Sumatra and the big fault.

It is curious however thinking about previous quakes in the Mediterranean around Southern Europe. Volcanic?

I think we had an magma storm on the inside of the planet. We are being squeezed. For a period earthquakes had lulled and the earth seemed almost stagnant. This is the lift like when your on a swing and you feel weightless. The earth stretched out and it paused as it reached it's maximum outer extent, Then things change in the dance. The earth compresses and gets squeezed. This creates the internal weather. The pressure cause magma to wave. Devi's hole tsunami. The earth is rocking and so am I. That's the Autism. It pushes through channels looking for a way to burst forth. To find and outlet. But they're all blocked with these damn hardend plugs and piles. Not finding an exits, these magma rivers look for another avenue or less resistence. But as the course turns, there's outburst of pressure which causes an earthquake. The magma still has energy. So it moves to another region as it pushes along.

Anyway. That's kinda what I see. I must confess some of ideas which gave me the vision was from someone's correspondence. Instantly I could see what they were decribing.

The double coupling effect resulted from fluid ruptures. The large earthqukes were not triggering the other areas from waves or adding stresses. The same phenomenon was happening globallly. Along certain zones.

There was one science type dube who I liked. He was the one in the canoe out getting dirty and finding the old tsunami levels in Washington or somewhere Oregon way. He said it could happen any time and said they'd have to start running up the hill.

Thank you Robin

Your post reminded me of this...sorry to be sort of OT

Rainbow
Jane
edit on 13-4-2012 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-4-2012 by angelchemuel because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Boy, you really get into this quake stuff
Maybe you will figure something out with all your interest. Keep an open mind.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Finally the little divils did it. I am not exactly sure when but I earmarked a 5.9 in Fiji on Feb 10, 2012 @01:47, and collected all the details for it, because I was POSITIVE it would end up as a Mag 6. For weeks it did not, and I sort of gave up checking. I just came across my draft blog post for it and went to check again.

Date Time Lat Lon Depth Mag Magt Nst Gap Clo RMS SRC Event ID
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2012/02/10 01:47:34.19 -17.9680 -178.5490 582.30 6.00 Mw 624 0.81 NEI 201202101004

NOW it is a mag 6.

And here are what are probably the only surviving details!

"The ATS Mounted Seismic Police always get their quake"

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

We saw this double couple type quake in nearly the exact same spot off Oregon before, and we were talking about it in the West Coast Rupture thread.

I postulated that since it is a divergent boundary there, that one side moved away and the other immediately moved to fill the void. Seemed reasonable, and no one came down on me like a Puterman over a HAARP theory for suggesting it. I was expecting to be sent into oblivion by JV, but even he didn't have a comment on that.

posted on Apr, 13 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Isn't that double pulse the P then the S wave? I didn't check the distance, but there is a second of separation for every 8-10km distance, so 40s separation is about right for 300-400km distance.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Hopefully that's all for now folks!

I believe we've seen all the big activity for the rest of April, and shouldn't expect to see anything bigger than a 6 mag, until around this time next month (14th to 16th May), when we could experience a high 7 or 8 mag quake, possibly around the same area as on the 11th of April.

WHY? Because like I predicted about week before the earthquake outbreak around the 11th of April, this is when there will be another significant planetary alignment (Sun, Earth, Jupiter and Mercury).

Just putting it out there for interest sake as though I only posted about week before the last series of quakes, but I had known for a month, about the possibility of increased earthquakes for the period of the 11th, based on the theory that planetary alignments may play a part in earthquake activity.

Of course there's always the possibility that something big will happen before my time-frame, and no doubt puterman will remind me, but let's at least wait until the 16th of May to right off this prediction.

Always prefer to be WRONG, but I've got an open mind when it comes to these things

edit on 14-4-2012 by SpaceJockey1 because: added

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnVidale

Hi John, yup you are of course quite correct in this instance. My excuse it was late and I was not thinking straight - I said I was tired in the post!

In the light of day I looked back at it and wondered why exactly I was quite so stupid last night. (Note to self: Do not try and calculate stuff late at night. Note to ATS: Ignore me - I ramble!)

Here is the gap at B201. About 58 seconds.

Here is the gap at J01D. About 35 seconds

Using arbitrary values to match the B201 signal I applied those to the J01D signal. I expected to get a figure around 35 seconds and did.

All of which goes to show that the experts are always right (*cough* well on some things anyway)

The malfunction in logic can be explained by this:

I hereby award myself the Cap Of Wisdom NOT

My apologies to TA as well for getting him all excited!

edit on 14/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Hopefully that's all for now folks!

Thank you Sir! That last bunch was quite scary. Glad to know you will spare us for a while. (
)

I believe we've seen all the big activity for the rest of April, and shouldn't expect to see anything bigger than a 6 mag, until around this time next month (14th to 16th May), when we could experience a high 7 or 8 mag quake, possibly around the same area as on the 11th of April.

Silence Mother Earth, be still! The Great Space Jockey has spoken.
(
)

I hope you are right about the calm and wrong about the May time, but it might mean more tar and feathers if you are right.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Here's my contribution for the day

Magnitude mb 6.0
Region DRAKE PASSAGE
Date time 2012-04-14 10:56:22.0 UTC
Location 57.57 S ; 65.43 W
Depth 40 km
Distances 357 km SE Ushuaia (pop 58,028 ; local time 07:56:22.4 2012-04-14)
601 km SE Punta arenas (pop 117,430 ; local time 06:56:22.4 2012-04-14)
2607 km S Buenos aires (pop 11,574,205 ; local time 07:56:22.4 2012-04-14)

www.emsc-csem.org...

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnVidale

Isn't that double pulse the P then the S wave? I didn't check the distance, but there is a second of separation for every 8-10km distance, so 40s separation is about right for 300-400km distance.

In this case, looking at PM's spectro, I would have to disagree. I have not pulled data on that yet, but generally speaking, after watching a boatload of quakes now in real time spectro, and being used to it, one quake in spectro never looks like that. That is two separate quakes in my opinion. You can see the initiation of the low end in the second quake, as well as the propagation of high end in the second quake too. Two quakes. Not one.
Also, in spectro mode, the low end from quakes usually propagates evenly through its duration. It doesn't just all of a sudden light up again hot in the middle of its duration, like you are suggesting here. I'd stake all of my observational experience on that is two separate quakes.

In fact, you guys know I constantly monitor Japan. We just had this same type of signature occur yesterday with the swarm that is happening now off Fukishima- except it was three in a row. And JMA was quick to list every single one of them, even though they occurred very close together, just like you are seeing with PM's spectro above. Gotta admire the Japanese, I swear. Those reports are out within 4 minutes of events, almost always.

I find it fun actually to disagree with experts. Not just for the sake of argument and to cause a fuss- but because at this point I have enough observational experience to really believe what I am saying, unless convinced otherwise. My personal contact with a scientist, who shall remain unnamed, has proved fruitful beyond my expectations, and I have learned a LOT. I only check waveforms for amplitude anymore, but always monitor in spectro mode for frequency content. If I had the right tools for wave inversions, I would of course be using waveforms for that too. That person has offered me that module, but I have declined based on a few things- namely- that I am not prepared to donate my machine totally for the cause- when I need it for other things which conflict with the configuration required. I could do it, yes, but at some point I got to pull the plug. I am not getting paid for this.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

I shall be interested to see how this progresses. Obviously something in my head was triggered by the spectrum, but then it seems to match the timings and so I am wondering now.

I might have a filter or two to apply to it to see if that helps.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Well one obvious thing to do PM is to convert to audio. I guarantee you will hear the two separate booms.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Oh yes I can hear two booms OK. That was probably the first trigger. I have analysed the frequencies for each 'blip' on the spectrum and I get two similar curves. I truncated at 25 Hz

I honestly at this moment am not sure what that is telling us.

If your sound system has a graphics equaliser set it up like this, i.e with the range 125k to under 1k high and everything else off

Then download and play this file
b201.wav

You can hear the second boom after the first one and THEN you hear the sound from the second blip as a distinct sound. Boom, faint boom, Boom.

Forgot to say you can also hear the two faint pop pop sounds as well.

boom boom boom pop pop

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
I honestly at this moment am not sure what that is telling us.

What else you need to know? That's two separate, distinct booms, and thus, two separate distinct quakes. Spectro says so, audio says so, SO...the end!

This same thing happened before, as I said. In fact, it was over that very quake that I emailed LDEO to please recheck the info the last time this happened- because PNSN- John's very own network- had determined it was two separate quakes, close together. And LDEO had it listed as one. Never even got a response.

Ha. Leave it to ATS. We'll sort it out. Usually do.

posted on Apr, 14 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

You might like this seismo of it!

KEMF.NV..EHZ.2012.102

By the way KEMF is also about 500km from the event like B201, but feast your eyes on this spectrum with a clear P and S and another S (the P is probably lost in the other bit.) Now unless that is P S and surface (under the sea this one is) that certainly has the look of two events.

And a strange sound: www.4shared.com...

And quite a pretty waveform

top topics

<< 103  104  105    107  108  109 >>

join