It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 103
<< 100  101  102    104  105  106 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ericblair4891

I think the cluster of quakes we've just witnessed are related. This is the big question in siesmology. Are earthquakes local? I think not, and I think what we've seen goes to demonstrate this idea.

I agree with you there.

At the moment, I think this is the end of the drama. I mean, things have got to level out, don't they always?
So, we should relax. Nothing yet is beyond what can be expected. Yellowstone's quiet. I haven't heard of any major volcanic stuff. There's no rifts splitting open somewhere. Maybe I should check the Michigan/Wisconsin news before I shoot off my mouth.

I think it is the end of the drama but volcanoes, now you have been and gone and done it! You didn't orta have said that.

And no Daleks are not relaxing! They are wonderful creatures but not relaxing.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

You miss understand friend. I do not see things before they happen. Simply that visual thinking and imagination provide the images after the event.

You are looking at the minute and the technical. It is a very valid approach.

I am looking at the Earths stresses and trying to pattern the macro as opposed to the micro. Our approach differs.

Still the unknowns are vast. Are the changes in weather part of the pattern. The past non-winter in parts of the Northern Hemisphere may be part of the pattern and I think they are.

Are we being lied to. Yes we are. Polar ice coverage is one such (related?) area. Sure the cover hasn't changed that much but the volume changes are awesome. The diminishing of the ice thickness is awesome.

Has this changed the weight distribution. Yes. Is it a factor. Don't know.

Where are the fault lines running through Alaska. No one seems to have definitive data.

There is so much information missing.

Will the Cascadia fault rupture soon. Yes. Will it be piece by piece avoiding damage on a huge scale. I hope so. IS this likely. No. The pattern indicates a huge release.

Thanks! I am young at heart. MY three boys keep me so.

Peace

P

P

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

I think these patterns have happened in the time of recorded history but our recorded history does not include the pattern. We have a much better system now with sensors all over the place and if people open their minds they could possibly use what information we can find about the past, compare them, and try to estimate what may happen in the future. This whole world monitoring would have to include input from all the different sciences with credit shared between them all. The competition for the all mighty buck makes the sciences try to get all the glory for themselves. This is wrong, if we are going to get to the truth, the knowledge of wildlife needs to be applied to the science of geology and other sciences better. Every science seems to be a specialty and there are different words created for basicly the same thing. Simplifying the languages of the sciences is a must. Who cares if the common man understands science, he may not mind giving his money to science if he could readily understand them and if the sciences could be applied to his life. Sorry for griping of the hiding of knowledge from the regular person but it's one of my biggest gripes and the biggest reason that information is misinterpreted by people.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Very interesting thing with these earthquakes and the mechanism that triggers them.Not quite see how earthquakes occur and how and what is the scientific explanation but maybe someone can explain.Maybe it is normal and temporal sequence does not matter.However, no one could think of two earthquakes one after another in such short time and and magnitude.Interesting thread.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

I think these patterns have happened in the time of recorded history but our recorded history does not include the pattern. We have a much better system now with sensors all over the place and if people open their minds they could possibly use what information we can find about the past, compare them, and try to estimate what may happen in the future. This whole world monitoring would have to include input from all the different sciences with credit shared between them all. The competition for the all mighty buck makes the sciences try to get all the glory for themselves. This is wrong, if we are going to get to the truth, the knowledge of wildlife needs to be applied to the science of geology and other sciences better. Every science seems to be a specialty and there are different words created for basicly the same thing. Simplifying the languages of the sciences is a must. Who cares if the common man understands science, he may not mind giving his money to science if he could readily understand them and if the sciences could be applied to his life. Sorry for griping of the hiding of knowledge from the regular person but it's one of my biggest gripes and the biggest reason that information is misinterpreted by people.

Well said!

Not trying to be picky. We don't have the raw data in history so we simply don't know if it has happened before. It probably has. We don't have the data so we are in the dark.

The elite hide behind words in all fields. It has always been this way and would take a change in human awareness to change it.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

You miss understand friend. I do not see things before they happen. Simply that visual thinking and imagination provide the images after the event.

My apologies, I thought that was what you were saying.

You are looking at the minute and the technical. It is a very valid approach.

I am looking at the Earths stresses and trying to pattern the macro as opposed to the micro. Our approach differs.

Believe me so am I which is why I have my world stress project started and lots of other things relating to the macro. I think it is just that the micro is more immediate. Not such a different approach really.

All of the next part of your post could be summed up as connected to the Sun really, at least it seems that way to me. The problem is making the connection.

Where are the fault lines running through Alaska. No one seems to have definitive data.

Remoteness may have a great part to play in that. If you want to find faults you almost have to get out there and look. A certain amount can be done using standard seismographs for tomography but getting out there and blowing stuff up is the best way!

There is so much information missing.

Will the Cascadia fault rupture soon. Yes. Will it be piece by piece avoiding damage on a huge scale. I hope so. IS this likely. No. The pattern indicates a huge release.

I agree and I have always said so on this and other threads which is why I could not understand your stance.(Accepting that not all of that was directed at me)

Thanks! I am young at heart. MY three boys keep me so.

Would that my four granddaughters would keep me young but I rarely get to see them.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hi all, I just want to check if anyone has been keeping an eye on the Mount Etna Eruption thread?

Seems to be reacting to all the "other" activity since yesterday!

What say you Puterman? Is there a link or am I losing my marbles?

ps. Not fearmongering just interested in the synchronicity!

pps. The thermal images of Etna which Tzavros has posted are amazing!
edit on 12/4/12 by wiser3 because: to add the pps

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by wiser3

What say you Puterman? Is there a link or am I losing my marbles?

There are several studies that suggest that very large teleseisms can trigger volcanoes, so yes it is possibility. I think that possibly one of the problems with Etna is that it is erupting so frequently that I am not sure you could point the finger and say "That one dun it!"

That would require an in depth study of the activity cycles of Etna and of major teleseisms. There you go, a little project for you

Large Earthquakes Trigger A Surge In Volcanic Eruptions

I have to say that is not one of my favourite sites due to it's dioxycarbophobic sister site.

USGS say No, but I suppose they would

edit on 12/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Thanks, That's all I need, another chore! Oh well, back to school!

Just want to add before I leave for home, Tzavros JUST posted "There she goes!", don't if that means what I think it means but....!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
My wife asked me an interesting question yesterday after to two M8s in Indonesia. She wanted to know if there would be any sort of "sympathetic response" on this side of the world to those two large quakes.

I told her that it was indeed a possibility, but the mechanisms for such responses were unknown and difficult to quantify.

I'd have to say that, to outward appearances at least, there does seem to have been some sort of response.

When you look at what has occurred since I went to sleep last night and when I woke up this morning, the "sympathetic response" notion seems to have some merit.

Will certainly be interesting to watch what, if anything, develops over the coming days.

HUGE thanks to everyone contributing to this thread and the dedication of the regulars to keep conjecture to a minimum.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Talking about conjecture, and about earthquake prediction, new on the scene International Earthquake and Volcano Prediction Center

Go look. This is not a bunch of amateurs but a bunch of well known and respected scientists.

If you read the New Concept In Global Tectonics Newsletter as I do (here is a link to No 62(PDF - Nearly 6Mb)) you will come to realise that these people do know what they are talking about. They tend to be against the mainstream Church of Geology however so they are a bunch of non-conformists.

You will find many theories you have heard about here, and this is probably where they came from.

www.ievpc.org...
Kamchatka warning they have just issued.

I do have to wonder why they did not predict Indonesia however

Just want to add that this should not be taken to imply that I endorse everything they say as I do not.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
World-wide real time observation of natural events is in its infancy. Prior to the Internet, only scientists and military could observe things happening. Now the common man can observe and post about it in any number of ways.

Sympathetic response? Why not?

Earth weakness due to man-made fracking?

Fascinating stuff

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Too many things with slipping and shanking ( slip/thrusts )..

Watch out Japan !

I think Japan area is the conerstone of the plate..once that starts to crumble..there goes the northwest americas.

Gonna go take a look at some physical maps to verify..

JG.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jaduguru

Japan is a past and a present reality.Japan is the measure of all things for us but it is not. There will be more then Japan....like continental drift...very fast but not as a presence..I guess!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondoftheworld

I dont think I understood what you just said..

BTW ..

New quake Near Fukushima ..

Earthquakes
Hazards
Learn
Prepare
Monitoring
Research

M5.6 - Namie, Japan 2012-04-12 14:50:52 UTC

earthquake.usgs.gov...

JG.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jaduguru

I dont think I understood what you just said.
Sorry if I don't,my mistake I always do not understand some things..apologies again...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondoftheworld

Welcome to ATS diamondoftheworld, and in particular to Quake Watch.

Here you will find some of the best information about earthquakes on the Internet. Why do I say that? Because the members who frequent this thread, and those who lurk and occasionally stick their heads up into the firing line on the whole produce excellent work that is based on facts.

You will find some of the alternative geophysical theories on this thread: Geophysics which is hosted by Zenius who you will also see on this thread.

Anything of a speculative nature to do with Yellowstone / Fracking / Arkansas / Bird Deaths / Hudson Bay / Life / Death / Resurrection / the Economy / Politics / Religion etc you can post on the thread hosted by Robin Marks/Eric Blair: Robinesque Ruminations

Volcano stuff you will find on Volcano Watch and last but by no means least the giant Yellowstone thread is a BIG read all about the Park that has passed page 700.

These and more ATS links, and links to many external sites you can find in my signature block and in the signatures of others.

Never be afraid to ask a question. We will always try to answer, and no one gets ridiculed here because of a lack of knowledge on what is a complex and multifaceted subject. (Well not if the question is reasonable at least!)

We have our ups and downs but mostly we get over it!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Thank you Mr. PuterMan Sir,I will try to understand the meanings of this earthquakes from many angles as they have scientific and none scientific meanings , if it will be allowed ...Sir.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Well, the USGS updated their site, and I really don't know if I like it. It's not as fast, but does provide more data..
Just don't like the change, bah, I'll get over it..

I wish it would cookie the settings I chose on the left.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

www.ievpc.org...
Kamchatka warning they have just issued.

That warning was issued April 9th. Perhaps they just got their location a bit off ...????

new topics

top topics

<< 100  101  102    104  105  106 >>

join