It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 102
<< 99  100  101    103  104  105 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kennvideo
reply to post by Doodle19815

Does anyone have a good site to see faults?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

hisz.rsoe.hu...

Works for me.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Sorry Sir, didn't mean to upset the only person who has studied the subject!

You have not upset me, and I am not the only one who has studied the subject, believe me, and please do not call me Sir.

I was not referring to your posts. Try not to take everything as directed at you. Why don't you read the whole thread. There are enough platitudes here to sink California.

I don't take everything as directed at me and you think I have not read every single post in the thread? I am guessing that you are young, you are certainly younger than me I would venture to say. I ignore what you call 'platitudes' as these are not real data. You could do the same.

Do I really have to bow to your wisdom. Are you that good.

No. No one in the world has to bow to me, and I bow to no man. I respect the opinions of those who have knowledge, but I do not necessarily accept them or agree with them. Anyone and everyone is free to do the same with anything that I impart. Am I that good? NO.

I'm not. But the existing Pattern is frightening. Sorry you are not alarmed.

My friend you are allowed to think it frightening. But I would say that, and here I am assuming you are young, with age comes shall we not say wisdom but knowledge and a much greater assurance that as LDB put it, the world will still be turning in the same direction tomorrow. I can't force you to understand that, nor can I force you to believe that the world is not as frightening as you think it is, at least in the respect of earthquakes.

Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt and now it's a rag. I am sure you know that saying. Believe it.

Peace.

Um, where are the faults on RSOE? (Not that I really want to look at it
)

edit on 12/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815
reply to post by kennvideo

I don't think I know what I am talking about. I was wondering more about N. America and looking at the New Madrid and any other "faults". Am I calling it by a wrong name?

Thank you for the fast response.

Here is an easy and great map for you Doodle..

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Loadsa overlays and stuff.

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Serach for KML files on faults on USGS

Sorry I prefer KML as Google Earth means being able to move around easier.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Ahhh....Thank you, interactive with pretty colors and everything. I appreciate that. Now, time for a cup of coffee and I will sit back and soak all the info up. I just wanted to see the bigger N. America picture other than the well known New Madrid.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Doodle19815

Ahhh....Thank you, interactive with pretty colors and everything. I appreciate that. Now, time for a cup of coffee and I will sit back and soak all the info up. I just wanted to see the bigger N. America picture other than the well known New Madrid.

Anytime... and make it decaf due to all this action....

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Thank you Mr. Puter. One more silly question and then I will let you get back to sifting through all of the data for the last 36 hours, why doesn't (or does it) the Gulf of Mexico experience quakes? There don't seem to be any known faults in the area.

I had a silly dream that doesn't belong in this thread, but is the reason for my curiosity.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

ROFL. I am on the far side of fifty and have studied these and related subjects since my school days back in the mid seventies. The one thing I do have is the gift / skill of patterning or pattern recognition and visual thinking. The pattern that I discern frightens me for the people that will be involved. When you read about a bomb killing civilians you react in a certain way. I can 'see' it. I can see the glass flying through people. In regards to what will happen one day on the West Coast I can 'see' children drowning, or being crushed by falling masonry. Every gift has a down side.

This will happen. The pattern has run around the circle and affected the adjoining plates as it is now in Indonesia. I have a different skill set to you. Why on earth you have such a high opinion of your own abilities at the expense of others I don't know but yes, this frightens me. I will here the screams from Aus.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Well there are quake in the GOM, just not very often because it is in effect a part of an intercontinental area, i.e is not in a subduction zone nor directly on any transverse plate junction.

CAT YEAR MO DA ORIG TIME LAT LONG DEP MAGNITUDE IEM DTSVNWG DIST
NFO km
TF

PDE 1978 07 24 080617.60 26.73 -88.74 33 4.9 mbGS ... ....... 286
PDE 1979 06 12 155959.60 21.78 -93.20 33 4.2 mbGS ... ....... 437
PDE 1980 01 10 191619.60 24.35 -85.38 10 3.9 mbGS ... ....... 468
PDE 1986 05 12 041802.47 27.70 -88.73 10 3.6 mbGS ... ....... 386
PDE 1992 03 31 145939.64 26.02 -85.73 5 3.8 mbGS ... ....... 465
PDE 1992 09 27 170234.31 28.17 -88.44 10 3.8 LgGS ... ....... 445
PDE 1994 06 30 010824.22 27.91 -90.18 10 4.2 mbGS ... ....... 388
PDE 1996 06 07 003026.77 20.77 -92.32 10 4.0 mbGS ... ....... 466
PDE 1997 04 18 145735.39 25.78 -86.55 33 3.9 mbGS ... ....... 379
PDE 1998 07 06 065403.79 25.02 -93.63 10 3.4 mbGS ... ....... 373
PDE 2000 12 09 064609.12 28.03 -90.17 10 4.3 MsGS ... ....... 401
PDE 2001 03 16 043907.68 28.36 -89.03 10 3.6 mbGS ... ....... 448
PDE 2001 03 16 053641.79 28.31 -89.42 10 ... ....... 436
PDE 2002 09 19 144436.15 27.82 -89.14 10 3.7 mbGS ... ....... 388
PDE 2003 04 13 045253.92 26.09 -86.08 10 3.2 mbGS ... ....... 435
PDE 2006 02 10 041422.20 27.83 -90.21 5 5.3 MsGS 3F. S...... 379
PDE 2006 09 10 145608.16 26.32 -86.61 14 5.9 MwGCMT 4FM ..S.... 401

I think that most of those, gleaned from the USGS circular search, should actually be in the water so to speak as I only took a 500 km radius to try and avoid any land.

There undoubtedly are faults, but it is very difficult to see the tell tale signs of a fault line under 2 or 3 thousand metres of water. It sort of makes it a little hard to see. I expect there is faulting all over the place, but I have to say I have never investigated that angle.

Just quickly looking at the other side, and Baja here is the difference in placement of the latest and the 2010 quake 2 years and 8 days ago.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Just as I thought - a youngster! OK well compared to me. You must be young at heart then because that is how you come over. Me I come over an ancient and crochety, which I am.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Dude!!!!!.......Puterman is a Jedi master on this subject, and you...............?

Your acting like a 14 year old, pumped full of too much test.

Please turn down the testosterone valve located below your belt line, clear your schedule for the next 24 hours, and go through ALL the graphs Puterman has put out over the last couple of years.

And when you have completed that task, come back here with your petty tail between your legs and give the proper credit where credit is due. Or at least a simple apology will do.

Good day SIR!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I think the point is that Puterman, as many other members are, is supplying us with facts and data without fearmongering!

I can conjure up enough doom, gloom and fear for myself without the help of others, but when it comes down to fact I bow to the knowledge of those that are in the know and hopefully I am picking up a bit of knowledge myself as I follow this and other threads on the subject!

And just so you know Phoenix, I too am on the other side of 50!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Do you urinate on the floor when invited to someone's home? Maybe tell the host how he should arrange his furniture too?

If you feel so strongly about your doom and gloom, why not start your own thread? We come to Puterman's place to find the truth about the trembling of the earth, not to yell at him when he doesn't give us the answer we wanted.

At your age, you should be ashamed at showing such disrespect.

Now....back to the quakes

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well, I hope with the eruption of the volcano and the ring of fire acting up we don't start getting too much liquification of the earths crust in places. Liquification usually needs an energy source, salt, and water. We don't need any more sink holes swallowing things up or avalanches in mountainous regions. I don't particularly getting stuck in deep mud when I go stream fishing either.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by megabogie

Accidents happen especially if the host's food ends up making you puke.

Please forgive me when I puked... I missed the trashcan and it went all over the carpet.

I apologize sincerely...I will clean up my mess and leave now.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
I've insulted Chuck Norris's acting ability in a thread without this much crap. LOL

I have read the who;e thread and seen the nice, well made charts. Been doing that for a looong time now.

Let's face it, we know diddly squat about predicting quakes.

Perhaps he is a Jedi Master or Chuck's cousin but I don't like being scorned by anyone. In recent posts many have been implying this and that has happened before on this and that date.

The totality of what is occurring right now has never happened in recorded history. This pattern is unique to our knowledge base. Would be good to admit it rather than trying to sound so know it allish.

Peace bro.

P

edit on 12-4-2012 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I am on the far side of fifty and have studied these and related subjects since my school days back in the mid seventies. The one thing I do have is the gift / skill of patterning or pattern recognition and visual thinking.

Let me ask you a question. I too think visually, which was why I was admitted as a member of a certain society, which I left because of the bickering, and was how I gained a love of statistics. I have to admit that I have not yet found the pattern that ties all this together. It is extremely complex as you pointed out. I have several thousand images from the GPS Ionospheric TEC content. There is a pattern there somewhere. It takes hours and hours to sift through all these images looking for minute tell tale signs of changes in the ionosphere.

I have magnetosphere images and reading going back years and goodness knows how much other stuff to look at for which there just are not enough hours in the day, but so far no repeatable pattern.

Did you see a pattern before for example the 1985 Mexico earthquake where 7000 perished? Does your patterning allow you to see incidents that caused major loss of life such at Banda Aceh where 230,000 perished. Did you see their deaths or hear their screams from Australia?

If you have a talent in this respect and can verifiably and reliably predict such events you should use it. Why don't you? I am not a spiritual person so this aspect is outside my experience. I admit that. I deal in cold hard facts (normally).

A thread of a technical nature such as this is not perhaps the place, but there are threads on ATS where you can display your abilities and hopefully save lives.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Okay Everyone One. Take a breath. Here's this video that may help you exterminate your stress so you can relax.

www.youtube.com...

All morning I've been trying to put on my best Alfred E. Nueman face. "What? Me Worry!" I've been obsessively watching earthquakes for a few years now. All I can say is that the last little while has been anything but normal. I wasn't concerned last year after Japan. As tragic as it was, it was normal. The only thing that did surprise me was that Japanese Geologists were surprised by the magnitude. Otherwise it was just a normal thrust fault just like the fault off Banda Aceh, Indonesia.

This last week or so has been odd. The last 30 or so hours have been odd. I think the cluster of quakes we've just witnessed are related. This is the big question in siesmology. Are earthquakes local? I think not, and I think what we've seen goes to demonstrate this idea. I think there was a global link to all the activity. That doesn't mean I know what that is precisely, but it does give support to clustering and remote triggering. The hows and whys are the things that none of us here at the moment know.

At the moment, I think this is the end of the drama. I mean, things have got to level out, don't they always?
So, we should relax. Nothing yet is beyond what can be expected. Yellowstone's quiet. I haven't heard of any major volcanic stuff. There's no rifts splitting open somewhere. Maybe I should check the Michigan/Wisconsin news before I shoot off my mouth.

So, I'm going to say, "wow, that was exciting." Especially after a long period of below normal activity. But let's not lose our heads or start talking over, passed, and at each other. Let's just keep quake watching and wondering. Let's save the squabbling for the political and contraversy threads.

In case anyone is still uptight...

www.youtube.com...

Just had to add. Looking at the quakes for the last couple of hours, things look kinda normal. You got "aftershocks" for the big ones. You got Japan, aftershock Mexico way, and of course, we can't forget about one of the most active regions of the ring of fire, Oklahoma. Wait, that's not in the ring of fire- shut up.

edit on 12-4-2012 by ericblair4891 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

The totality of what is occurring right now has never happened in recorded history

Really? Look again. As you say it may not be exactly the same.

This pattern is unique to our knowledge base.

One has to observe that if it is unique it is not a pattern. Statistically a pattern would require a number of similarities in a series of events that make it exhibit qualities that could be called a pattern. A single train of events in isolation is a series not a pattern.

I thought you had been studying this stuff almost as long as me?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Sorry Sir, didn't mean to upset the only person who has studied the subject!

You have not upset me, and I am not the only one who has studied the subject, believe me, and please do not call me Sir.

I was not referring to your posts. Try not to take everything as directed at you. Why don't you read the whole thread. There are enough platitudes here to sink California.

I don't take everything as directed at me and you think I have not read every single post in the thread? I am guessing that you are young, you are certainly younger than me I would venture to say. I ignore what you call 'platitudes' as these are not real data. You could do the same.

Do I really have to bow to your wisdom. Are you that good.

No. No one in the world has to bow to me, and I bow to no man. I respect the opinions of those who have knowledge, but I do not necessarily accept them or agree with them. Anyone and everyone is free to do the same with anything that I impart. Am I that good? NO.

I'm not. But the existing Pattern is frightening. Sorry you are not alarmed.

My friend you are allowed to think it frightening. But I would say that, and here I am assuming you are young, with age comes shall we not say wisdom but knowledge and a much greater assurance that as LDB put it, the world will still be turning in the same direction tomorrow. I can't force you to understand that, nor can I force you to believe that the world is not as frightening as you think it is, at least in the respect of earthquakes.

Been there, done that, worn the t-shirt and now it's a rag. I am sure you know that saying. Believe it.

Peace.

Um, where are the faults on RSOE? (Not that I really want to look at it
)

Im sure I will get an off topic for this but a star just won't do. Beautifully said Puterman, so eloquent.

new topics

top topics

<< 99  100  101    103  104  105 >>

join