It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 101
<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by slidingdoor

It was a good old belt right enough. Something like 620 petajoules in the one day.

Not much point in showing a graph as it would be a single spike.

Comparing this to other years you can see that yesterday was equal to the total output of many years, actually greater than many. If it was a yearly value it would rank 6th in 11 years. But if you add the rest of the year to date in it is still only 660 Petajoules - About the equivalent of a 160 Megaton nuke.

edit on 12/4/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan
I have looked at this for over an hour now and I just cannot find another occurrence.

Maybe cause there isn't one, including this occurrence. GCMT has the first Sumatra at 8.0, and the second at 7.8. So that right there disembowels the underpinnings of the argument in the first place.

There were not two 8+.

Man, chill out peoples, so there are a few large quakes occurring. Wake me up when the New Madrid goes off. Or when Yellowstone or Toba blows up. And so far, both those beasts are weathering the seismic storm very admirably- neither showing any signs of triggered activity so far.

EDIT: Although truthfully, right now there is a disparity between what is on GCMT's page and what the USGS is reporting as GCMT solutions. So I am not sure WTF is going on with these two quakes.

edit on Thu Apr 12th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:02 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Thank you TA, a voice of calm to steady my nerves this morning! Don't like feeling rattled (mentally, not physically) by the planet we live on and not used to feeling that way either.

edit on 12-4-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   

reply to post by berkeleygal

Well in answer to 2 in the same place it is not common.

Would you believe me if I said that yesterday was a VERY rare day, like the only occurrence of 2 Mag 8 quakes in the same place on one day in a century + 10 years?

I have looked at this for over an hour now and I just cannot find another occurrence.

Wow that's interesting,
cant wait to see what happens in the next few days.
I had a feeling a quake might be coming when I read about another mass beaching just a day before.

Thank you for answering the question, really appreciate it!

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   

The values from current tensors at USGS differ from the Columbia University list www.ldeo.columbia.edu/~ekstrom/Research/SWD/current/RADB_SWD_grd.html

Question : which value is final?

earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2012/usc000905e/neic_c000905e_gcmt.php

Global CMT Project Moment Tensor Solution

April 11, 2012, OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA, MW=8.6

Howard Koss
Meredith Nettles

earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqinthenews/2012/usc00090da/neic_c00090da_gcmt.php

Global CMT Project Moment Tensor Solution

April 11, 2012, OFF W COAST OF NORTHERN SUMATRA, MW=8.2

Howard Koss
Meredith Nettles

edit on 12-4-2012 by xecoybh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by xecoybh

lol, funny, I just edited my post above, and I realize this. Answer: I don't know. But it is confusing as hell.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

Well it is nice to see that I am not the only voice in the wilderness saying "No, it is not getting worse. There are no more now than there were.....................what is that shaking.......and the big crack................."

No seriously even this is all perfectly normal. Move along please. Only the planet shaking herself down. Directions to the Mayan gallery? Yes madam third forum from the Sun - just down the corridor there.

As I have said many times (I am getting to like that phrase - mind it shows I talk too much) it is my belief that we are at the top of a 55 year (or so) cycle that matches in with the Sun and some sort of overlay of Grand Conjunctions. I was expecting a Mag 8, but I was not expecting it there. My pick was Ecuador or Cascadia, or possibly Alaska.

Now I have to ask myself does this count as the one I was expecting, or is there another in the pipeline?

To the poster asking about multiple large quakes on a single day yes there are several instances of multiple Mag 7, or Mag 8 and 7, or even Mag 9 and 7, but never 2 Mag 8 in the same place. There was however a Mag 8,.1 and a Mag 7.1 on the same day within 18 minutes of each other in Hokkaido, Japan on the 4th March 1952.

There was only one Mag 7 on the day I was born however just about 4 years before that.

In 1957 on the 9th March there was a 9.1 in the Aleutians, slap bang where the current activity is centred which was followed about 6 hours later by a 7.2 also in the Aleutians but about 300km further East.

On the 5th May 1960 there was a 7.9 in Chile and just 15 minutes later while they were shaking themselves down from that one the largest historical earthquake in the world, the 9.6 Mw (or 9.5 depending on where you look), let rip.

In October 1963, 2 days apart, but less than 24 hours apart Hokkaido again coped a 7.1 followed by an 8.6.

By the way that was not so far from the 9.1 so you can see the wisdom of building nuclear power stations there.

Believe it or not the 1964 Alaska (Prince William Sound) 9.1 did not produce any 7 or 8 quakes immediately before or after it.

There are many more coupled Mag 7's but I have to pretend to do some work now.

Hope that answers some questions.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   

EDIT: Although truthfully, right now there is a disparity between what is on GCMT's page and what the USGS is reporting as GCMT solutions. So I am not sure WTF is going on with these two quakes.

Yes indeed so I will wait until the students at Columbia get their noses out of the comic books and get back to attending to the system, and for the Prof to get off the golf course and sort this out.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
If I want soothers I'll go to the store and buy some.

You can all be as reasonable and soothing as you like. What you are doing is taking a tiny part of the huge pattern and saying this tiny part is normal, it has happened before.

Look at the big picture, the global picture. It is anything but normal. The last few years has been a time of the ramp up of energy release on the ring of fire.

hisz.rsoe.hu... I have been watching this and studying it since 1995. What we have right now is not normal. The pattern is one of huge releases around the Pacific rim.

Oh, yea, except for the West Coast of the US and Canada. To suggest "it doesn't have to go off" is silly. It is an interconnected system. It's a plate for heavens sake.

Look at the entirety of the developing pattern.

Be prepared!

P

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Bye and bye. Consider what if the Govt could warn you!

If the city goes under and 10 million people survive, consider the costs, how would you cope. How could you cope. Think of long term solutions. Try not to build ghettos.

If on the other hand you get no warning then you loose both the city and the people.

Meh! Cheap solution. No probs. Place was bankrupt anyhow.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Here is an interesting little bunch

Date and time,Lat, Lon, Mag, Mag Type
1995-04-21 00:09:56,12.068,125.656,6.9,Mw
1995-04-21 00:30:12,12.013,125.572,6.8,Mw
1995-04-21 00:34:48,12.086,125.587,7.2,Mw
1995-04-21 05:17:04,12.048,125.858,6.8,Mw

Centenial Catalogue

All in one place and almost one time and all on my birthday.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

You can all be as reasonable and soothing as you like. What you are doing is taking a tiny part of the huge pattern and saying this tiny part is normal, it has happened before.

You are incorrect but think as you wish. Why do you think we look at the earthquakes, the volcanoes, the magnetism, the sun, the moon, the fracking, the space dust, the conjunctions? Just for fun?

Look at the big picture, the global picture. It is anything but normal. The last few years has been a time of the ramp up of energy release on the ring of fire.

The global picture as you call it is only a 'tiny' part of the whole thing. Why don't you try looking further as well. Yes the last few years has and so was 1960 and so was 1906 and so was 1855 and so was 1812 ans so was etc etc. You have absolutely no knowledge about what you are saying yet you presume to come here and tell those of us who put in a huge amount of time and effort into research this that we are all wrong?

hisz.rsoe.hu... I have been watching this and studying it since 1995. What we have right now is not normal. The pattern is one of huge releases around the Pacific rim.

Yes well if you want to depend of information from Hungarian Radio Hams good on yer mate.

Oh, yea, except for the West Coast of the US and Canada. To suggest "it doesn't have to go off" is silly. It is an interconnected system. It's a plate for heavens sake.

Got a slight problem with comprehension have we? If you look back through this thread you will find that what you are suggesting is the complete opposite of what we have been saying. In fact only in the last couple of posts I have clearly stated that Cascadia is possibly next on the list.

Indeed, and why don't you look at the entirety of the thread before making daft statements.

Here, if you want something to fret about go and curl your toes around this one.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Morning peoples

I see the world is still spinning in the same direction.. good thing hey..
Hey Putterman,,nice movement in the last 24 hrs huh?
I dont know,, seems like a uptick to me
(laughs nervously)
Maybe we will see some more volcanic activity next.. Etna maybe?
Cheers..LDB
edit on 12-4-2012 by Lil Drummerboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

Here, if you want something to fret about go and curl your toes around this one.

Getting warmer.

5.5 just hit not too far from there:
www.jma.go.jp...

Japan seismicity continues. And probably will forever.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

Maybe we will see some more volcanic activity next.. Etna maybe?

That is always doing it's thing and anyway TA has said no so I expect the volcanoes to obey!
But I will askja a question. What about that one?

Oh sorry forgot. Uptick? What uptick was that then? Only went from about 40 PJ for the year to 660 PJ. Do you call that an uptick?

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

reply to post by pheonix358

You are incorrect but think as you wish. Why do you think we look at the earthquakes, the volcanoes, the magnetism, the sun, the moon, the fracking, the space dust, the conjunctions? Just for fun?

The global pictre as you call it is only a 'tiny' part of the whole thing. Why don't you try looking further as well. Yes the last few years has and so was 1960 and so was 1906 and so was 1855 and so was 1812 ans so was etc etc. You have absolutely no knowledge about what you are saying yet you presume to come here and tell those of us who put in a huge amount of time and effort into research this that we are all wrong?

Yes well if you want to depend of information from Hungarian Radio Hams good on yer mate.

Got a slight problem with comprehension have we? If you look back through this thread you will find that what you are suggesting is the complete opposite of what we have been saying. In fact only in the last couple of posts I have clearly stated that Cascadia is possibly next on the list.

Indeed, and why don't you look at the entirety of the thread before making daft statements.

Sorry Sir, didn't mean to upset the only person who has studied the subject! Bye and Bye, I was not referring to your posts. Try not to take everything as directed at you. Why don't you read the whole thread. There are enough platitudes here to sink California.

Do I really have to bow to your wisdom. Are you that good.

I'm not. But the existing Pattern is frightening. Sorry you are not alarmed.

P

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by slidingdoor
reply to post by PuterMan

Interesting you say that as Japan has gone eerily quiet ... it really is as if all the plate stresses have shifted completely eastwards ...and yet South America too is so quiet .

Awaiting the petajoules (?) cumulative energy release for this last 24 hours and hoping it will show a years' worth of energy already produced , no more large releases needed - quota fulfilled !

5.3 iwaki, japan 2012-04-12 11:19:59 36.874°N 141.060°E 14.3 that's 7:19 AM EDT

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Type: Earthquake 33 minutes ago Magnitude: 4.9 DateTime: Thursday April 12 2012, 11:38:26 UTC Region: Southern Mid-atlantic Ridge Depth: 33 km Source: CSEM-EMSC Feed

This one isn't terribly notable but I thought I would throw it on the merry-go-round.

Does anyone have a good site to see faults? I googled it but the results I got were a bit confusing.

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Doodle19815

Does anyone have a good site to see faults?

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Apr, 12 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by kennvideo

I don't think I know what I am talking about. I was wondering more about N. America and looking at the New Madrid and any other "faults". Am I calling it by a wrong name?

Thank you for the fast response.

top topics

<< 98  99  100    102  103  104 >>

join