It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoppers unhinge doors at US mall to buy new Nike shoe

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I'm curious...how many of you look at someones shoes when you meet or talk to them? I ask because I don't, I look at faces mostly hands are probably a close second. To me they don't say much about a person really. I don't wear shoes I use them. I wear clothes so the general public is not offended I use shoes because I don't want my feet to get torn up. So in conclusion I will never understand why people pay so much, beat each other up or cause damages to get a pair of shoes that in my opinion don't separate the soles of your feet from the ground any better than the knock off brand name.
edit on 24-12-2011 by PutAQuarterIn because: because

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by PutAQuarterIn

to me if you are wearing the newest hottest fad(est) clean nikes for example it says you are a MATERIALIST and a sheep. Into consumer culture. Like RATM says "they make you think that buying is rebelling". You have no individual bone in your body or you are so dependent on corporate advertisement structure you have to be feed by them to make you feel special. Truly sad. Now there are some isolated cases where this doesnt apply but for the most part its seems true. Sad but true.

edit on 24-12-2011 by krossfyter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Those people will likely kill you for your shoes

Not so much those people. They seem to be able to afford them.

It's the ones out there that can't afford them that you need to watch.

I would be very scared if my kids were walking around in a pair of them. It's obvious you will risk being mugged over them.

As for the guy in the video who describes the crowd's behaviour as "unexplainable"...

Media mind control.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

As for the guy in the video who describes the crowd's behaviour as "unexplainable"...

Media mind control.

I concur.

Sense of belonging,
sense of being valued by peers,
sense of having a better future,
all availiable if happy consumer wears these shoes.

All of these feelings, which rightfully should be felt towards ones own community, have been taken hostage by an international fog of materialism and media. The strength of the crowd, as it pushes in the doors, is a testament to the size of the hole in our cultures. A hole that desperately _must_ be filled. This is life and death people. This is a persons identity.

David Grouchy
edit on 24-12-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Your right the world has gone nuts, i mean come on? fighting over some BS New Worthless Nike Shoes? if i was there i would ask those Sheeps.

Huh Why the heck are you fighting over those Worthless Shoes? knowing that you will be buying one of them again in the near future and cant these shoes feed you?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Someone posted this in another thread, but I think it belongs here too...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
I was amazed at the end when that guy said something like "You got to lick the bottom of these" referring to the damn shoes. I mean... It is only shoes right? "No, it is the New Nike Air Jordan XI Concord!"

Materialism will eventually destroy us, unless it already did.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Not to be racist or anything, but mainly the people that are having problems are the color decent, and getto whites.
Am I wrong with this statement?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
My issue with the idea of people getting so het up about training shoes can be boiled down to one very simple statement. The majority of people who wear these so called sports labels as fashion items, are about as familiar with regular or daily physical excersize, as the moon is with breatheable atmospheres and large cities.

I saw a gaggle of absolute gems the other day. Five fellas, walking down the road, festooned exclusively in designer sporting clothing, all of them fat to the point of morbidity, shuffling along like some squadron of cave trolls who have stumbled through the changing rooms at a premiership footballers convention. These people do not understand that owning a piece of sporting equipment ought to mean that you yourself are quite sporty.

There is no reason for someone who likes to sit on thier enormous engorged rump all day, eating potato chips, gulping down gallon helpings of pop, and watching Jerry Springer or Maury all day (or for those of us in the UK, Jeremy (bloody) Kyle and re-runs of Trisha) to be buying up all the labels they can grab, because it fools NO ONE!

We know they are just going to be sitting there tomorrow, doing the exact same amount of absolutely nothing that they did the day before, soaking up the disability cheques, absorbing day time television propeganda, and generaly wasting everyone elses air, and we KNOW that without threat of mild electrocution or a kick in the joystick, these behemoths are going to be doing the same thing the next day after that as well. Why they must insist on attempting some sort of fashion based, oxymoronic irony at the same time is beyond me.

Do me a favour world, if you arent playing, quit dressing like a player. Get yourself some working boots and get off the couch!

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

How true - this is just another example of the materialistic hell we live in...all stuck on the merry go round,
I have kids - and buy them nice presents, they're young at the moment, but as they get older it saddens me to know that because of our society and culture - failure to provide them with the latest dress or shoes or whatever will lead to them facing ridicule etc at school.
The culture needs changing - but unless a load of people make a change at the same time it never will.

On another point - I thought we were all struggling in this big credit crunch or recession - but crowds of people fighting to spend $180 on footwear.

Here's to hoping this madness changes soon - the world cannot go on the way it is.

Everyone thinks they are owed everything , greed beyond belief- as mentioned above the UK riots were an example of this, people exploiting an incident to basically furnish their house with 42" TVs and blu-ray players

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   
I'm not sure the behaviour of anyone in this video is all that exceptional. Large groups of excited people will behave like this. People can quite easily be worked up into a hysteria if you hit them with the right suggestions at the right time.

The alarming part of this incident, is the fact it is a hysteria over a shoe. A shoe made by a massive multinational corporation, from a store owned by a massive corporation, made by wage slaves, sold by wage slaves and bought by people who don't look like they've had the best of education and diversity of experience. And the news reporter never even bothers to raise any of this?

Really these kids are living in some weird dream world where, for some reason, all this crap is extremely important. And they know it's important because the government, school and media told them it was very important, over and over, every day of their lives. I bet few of these kids have ever lived a day free from the suggestion and solicitation of corporate industry.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Can WWIII start already, You know the one with nukes?
I'm thinking it will help to get peoples priorities straight, but probably not.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I dunno. I would like to be shocked and upset but 20 years ago you could not wear certain shoes or coats where I grew up because you would be shot on the spot for them. Always bothered me how anyone could kill for a pair of shoes when size is soooooooooooooooooooo important but hey, 20 years later and we are just taking doors off? That seems like a step up.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Algernonsmouse

The article has now been expanded to include news of further 'happenings'. And from what I'm reading you explained this very well. Except reports now include mention of gunfire...

In other disturbances:

At least four people were arrested after customers broke down a door at a store selling the shoes in Lithonia, Georgia

There was an attempted robbery on a victim who was mistakenly believed to have just bought the shoes in Stockton, California

About 100 shoppers forced their way into a shopping centre in Taylor, Michigan

A gunshot rang out as shoppers queued in Richmond, California, although no injuries were reported

Disorder was also reported in Charlotte, North Carolina; Indianapolis, Indiana; and Omaha, Nebraska

A spokesperson for Nike was not immediately available to comment.

Also:

A new pair costs about $180 (£115), but they are already being listed on eBay for as much as $605.

Updated article

Quick, get your card out while the price is still only 3 figures...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Just goes to show you that this is truly what christmas is all about. sigh....

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by sparky8580
Not to be racist or anything, but mainly the people that are having problems are the color decent, and getto whites.
Am I wrong with this statement?

you are right, but we dont wanna go down that path

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Same thing happens on Black Friday, it's crazy.

That's why i stay home and chuckle when i watch the news. If i'm going to camp out for some stuff the night before, it needs to be free.

The same crap happened when the power ranger toys dropped back in the 90s. Google it

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
reply to post by pause4thought

It is extremely likely that the store tapes are being data mined with facial recognition software....

and digital profiles are being compiled on the 'persons of interest'
and there will be future detentions of the store perps. on things like routine vehicle stops..

the law enforcement now has the indefinite detention policy in place and the ability to classify every one of the store mob as 'terrorists'

But... the ACLU and other Orgs. will counter that the Law is busy 'profiling'... which is illegal

Ummmmmmm.... o kaaaaay!

IRM

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
USA USA USA USA!

You are looking at the majority folks.

They will all look cool walking to Mickey Dee's and the mall.

You are all special snowflakes.
edit on 24-12-2011 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

Just being real here, people, not racist, but this looks like a scene from Planet of the Apes.

Over shoes? $180 Shoes?

Did the person 200th in line ever stop and think that the store doesn't stock that many shoes?

Why did the stores let this even get this far? If they had 100 pairs to sell, then 100 vouchers should have been handed to the people in line, and the rest sent home.

What a shame.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
How do you end this madness?

Maybe it's time someone got hold of a pair & burned them in full view of the crowd. Anyone on ATS man enough to get down there, make the statement & video the whole thing? Man, that would go viral...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join