It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The world will end in seven days?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Pretend I am from a civilization who lived hundreds of years ago. Anyway I have a 2011 calendar that ends in 7 days. Do you really think just because my calendar ends in 7 days the world will end? I know my calendar does. You may even have the same calendar. Now if I lived hundreds of years ago and I decided to end it somewhere, what would you think about everyone making doomsday predictions because I decided to end my calendar at some point?

Wouldn't it have been even crazier if the Mayans made another calendar starting over a thousand years in the future to reflect the different age starting at the end of 2012? I believe so.

Anyway my calendar ends in 7 days and I do not believe the world will end just because my calendar ends then. I believe the Mayans would think it would be crazy to believe the same thing.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Your calender is only for one year, not thousands like the Mayan calendar. If you had a calendar that went from 6000bc to Dec 31, 2011, that might be a bit different don't you think?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Somewhat clever... we need a yawn emotiocon...

Not saying that the world is gonna end in 2012 or anything but if a lot of other calenders/predictions from another set of people on another part of the planet have the same kinda feeling that the world as WE know it will end on the same date the maya say that somethin happens. It might be worth keeping in the back of your mind going forward this next year...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

No, why should it be? .. it would just be impractical ultimately =)

But as I've read, the Mayan long count calendar ending just marks the beginning of a new cycle.. not the end of things

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
Your calender is only for one year, not thousands like the Mayan calendar. If you had a calendar that went from 6000bc to Dec 31, 2011, that might be a bit different don't you think?

with micosoft word and excel i could make a calender that goes to the year 25,000 a.d. it will just be very boring and time consuming.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Your computer would reach it's end before the world did ..

But lets not forget, we already had something like this happen with Y2k =) the big fear that all of the internal clocks in computers would fail and it would cause world wide doom and gloom ..

My company had us all stay at work ( I worked as as sysadmin for an ISP ) just to go through a huge systems checklest ... nothing happened, at all...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I agree, I do not think that 12/21/12 is the end of things either.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

I agree, I do not think that 12/21/12 is the end of things either.

It's the end of the Mayan long count calendar =) which means it probably would, for the Mayans, simply mean that 12/21/12 is just back to year 1 on their cyclical calendar

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

The only thing that gets my attention in this whole matter is that it is the winter solstice and the alleged alignment with the centerline of our galaxy. That just seems amazingly accurate to me for an ancient civilization to determine

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
" target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

edit on 24-12-2011 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

The only thing that gets my attention in this whole matter is that it is the winter solstice and the alleged alignment with the centerline of our galaxy. That just seems amazingly accurate to me for an ancient civilization to determine

I did see some documentary that talked about this and the planetary wobble effect, they believed that the Mayans probably were aware of this sort of "reset" that goes on since they were avid watchers and studiers of the night sky.. the Calendar was based on it, it really to me just means that the end of the long count calendar, thus resetting back to the beginning.. is marked by that event. ( if the documentary was right ) .. I wish I could remember what it was called.. but it really didn't seem alarming to me, it just seemed that the Mayans had a great understanding of the movements star positions in the sky.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I believe there is a different age based on certain configurations of either stars or planets. I thought I read the Mayans believed these cycles or ages lasted thousands of years. This would explain why different groups have the age ending at the same time period. They put together a calendar for their age. Why bother making another calendar for something over a thousand years away. Their age or cycle was going to last for over another 1000 years. I suppose they thought whoever was around at that time could make a new calendar. That's kind of like computer programmers thinking the year 2000 was so far away they didn't worry about only using 2 digits for the year.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Right .. that's precisely what they were talking about in the documentary ... like moving into the age of Aquarius, and these ages last thousands of years..

Just to add, and I'm going from a tired memory .. but the point is that this is the final age on the calendar and thus marks the repeat of the cycle.. kind of like our December 31st marks the end of a year and the beginning of a new.
edit on 12/24/2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by micmerci

I have a ten dollar bill, it is worth one thousand pennies!
I also have a hundred dollar bill, it is worth ten thousand pennies!!
I even have a thousand dollar bill, it is worth One hundred thousand pennies!!!
I however, do not have a bill for One million pennies that would just be kind of silly.
Seeing as how if I were to bring my 1000 dollar bill to the store, most would not even know they were real as there are not many used out there.
Sometimes smaller is just easier to use.
And as for a specific date,...I have a 2 dollar bill too.
Silly huh?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

It would be silly .. indeed!

But the Mayans recognized this astrological cycle ( and apparently the planetary wobble that causes it ) based on star positions and the calendar was based around those observations.. that's the only reason the long count calendar is so long .. they recognized the length of the cycle ..

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I believe you are correct. The reason so many seem concerned about old calendars ending some time next year is because they are not aware of these long cycles. I do not believe it's a big mystery.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
The world will end at some point...it's inevitable.
This year is just as good as any - so...what the hell, why not...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Exactly. Switch of cycle. But maybe something could happen near that switch? Why a reset, in the first place? We reset the year every 365 days and there are always some new changes that are made into our life, no matter if you keep the promises or not. Why not something similar after hundred of years, but on a different scale?

Just wondering.

edit on 24-12-2011 by St0rD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Does anyone belive that the impressive comet lovejoy could be the Blue Kachina the hopi say is a warning that trouble will soon be upon us.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
my my, sounds like a lot of whistling past the graveyard to me.

the end of the current Mayan calendar means that the 5th Sun/Age [Sun of Motion] will be ending

all of the previous Suns ended with a Cataclysm, this is due to an ongoing conflict between Black Tezcatlipoca and White Tezcatlipoca [Quetzalcoatl]

1st Sun of Jaguar = black giants walk the earth; after being defeated in his attempts to become the new Sun Black Tezcatlipoca becomes a giant black jaguar and the giants are killed and devoured by armies of the same

2nd Sun of Wind = destroyed by Great Winds [Hypercanes?]

3rd Sun of Fire = ruled by Tlaloc god of Rain, destroyed ironically, by a Rain of Fire sent
by White Tezcatlipoca [Quetzalcoatl]

4th Sun of Water = destroyed by floods that cover the earth

5th Sun of Motion = present Sun ends on the day 4-Motion by Great Earthquake this is the more commonly known ending. the less common ending involves celestial monsters, the Tzitzimime [Star Demons] descending and devouring the human race.
these Tzitzimime are so similar to the Sumerian Igigi, that they seem to be equivalent
the ancients often ascribed diseases to invisible evil spirits, demons if you will, nowadays we call these invisible evil spirits germs and/or virii.

Mike Baillie (yeah, a real scientist and not a crackpot), is saying that the Black Death, one of the most deadly pandemics in human history, said to have killed possibly two thirds of the entire population of Europe, not to mention millions all over the planet, probably wasn't Bubonic Plague but was rather Death By Comet(s)!

Oh yeah! That's far out, isn't it?

Maybe not. Baillie has the scientific evidence to support his theory and his evidence actually supports - and is supported by - what the people of the time were saying: earthquakes, comets, rains of death and fire, corrupted atmosphere, and death on a scale that is almost unimaginable. Most people nowadays are not really aware of what happened just 660 years ago. (Hmmm... the inquiring mind immediately wonders what might happen when we hit 666 years after?! That would be 2012...)
source: New-Light-on-the-Black-Death-The-Cosmic-Connection www.sott.net...

my point is: if previous suns perished catastrophically, what's so special
about our 5th sun that "nothing will happen"

I mentioned in Witches,Comets and Planetary Cataclysms that the historical record of the past that we consider 'truth' nowadays, was constructed at the end of a long period of planetary devastation (the Dark Ages followed by the Black Death) and this was done to restore order and control. The Powers-That-Be of the time, which is the same at about any time - religious and elite-class controllers - set about to deliberately establish a view of the past that placed themselves firmly in the seats of power, legitimating that authority in the eyes of the masses; masses that are true believers in what the elite tell them are much easier to manage. We can observe the same thing taking place in our own day, one example being Christianity transformed from a religion of love, caring and peace to one of war and retribution. Actually, it just cycles around because it was utilized similarly in 11th and 12th centuries which followed the Dark Ages, now strongly suspected to have been a time of cometary disaster in Europe. We might also notice that it was shortly afterwards that the Black Death came to Europe. These cycles even prompt us to consider the possibility that there is a cause-effect relationship between periods of oppression of the masses by the elite and cosmic intervention that levels the playing field, so to say.
The-Golden-Age-Psychopathy-and-the-Sixth-Ex tinction

Tunguska-Psychopathy-and-the-Sixth-Extinction
keep whistling past the graveyard, and sucking on slurpees

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join