It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SOPA supporters hosted lime wire and bit torent downloads?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
this looks like a set up to me,
in the following video the author makes a compelling case that some large media and internet companies have been shown to distribute software with the intent for that software to be used for piracy,

not only (if correct) did they host the exclusive downloads for the software to enable users to download copywrite infinging tecnology,
they even reviewed it on songs in their advertising.

the very companies now complaing we need SOPA
or
the stop online piracy act,

were the major distributer of the software which they claim is causing lost profits and therefore justifying a crack down.

the kicker is that alot of major sites hosted and distrubuted "branded" software to enable the piracy in the first place.

THEY CREATED THE PROBLEM THEMSELVES
by authorising public downloads of the sofware infracstructure to allow for priracy they encouraged users to down load songs in their advertising,

and caused the problem they now wish to fix with this bill.

please watch the video

this looks like a clear cut case of not prosicuting the faciliatators
but attacking the users and the internet as a whole.
xploder

edit on 23-12-2011 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
even the enforcers of crime are guilty of using torrents and other services distrubuted by the companies,

If there’s one organization known for its crusade against online piracy, it’s the RIAA. Nevertheless, even in the RIAA’s headquarters several people use BitTorrent to download pirated music, movies, TV-shows and software. And they are in good company. The Department of Homeland Security – known for seizing pirate domain names – also harbors hundreds of BitTorrent pirates.

torrent freak

so if the industry most harmed from piracy,
distrubuted the software themselves that initially ALLOWED users to become home pirates,
or in the case in the article, a corperate level violation that is not being activly prosicuted

this is entrapment for the public and imunity from prosicution for the law enforcement.

the internet should not be part of a smear campain for public sympathy from a company injuring itself.
they should sue themselves for being the primary download source for software intended to pirate their own content

so is this so they can selectivly enforce who gets prosicuted?
like if you are all guilty and we will decide who we prosicute?

xploder
edit on 23-12-2011 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

*facepalm*

This video is 5 levels below retarded. It plays down the actual danger of SOPA by stating partial-truths interspersed with complete fabrications.

"Google this..."

"Hey, bet you didn't hear about..."

Here's the fact: SOPA is beyond totalitarian scale censorship in a democratically-worded document. The wolves are convincing the sheep to give up the last tool they have to stand up against the slaughter.

And because of idiots like the guy in this video, it's going to pass, because people who find out a nutjob is exaggerating an argument like this easily presume that the entire argument is invalid instead of actually reading the fulltext of the document to find out what it means.

The full text is here: thomas.loc.gov

Seriously, read it and weep. If Microsoft can charge a license for a product that Google made (Android), this bill will happily make its way through with hardly any resistance.

Forget the guy that made this video. I hope he burns in hurl.
edit on 23-12-2011 by cryptographrix because: Fixed the thomas.loc.gov link

edit on 23-12-2011 by cryptographrix because: Tried to fix the thomas.loc.gov link a second time.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by cryptographrix

Here's the fact: SOPA is beyond totalitarian scale censorship in a democratically-worded document. The wolves are convincing the sheep to give up the last tool they have to stand up against the slaughter.

i authored the thread to raise awreness that this is a threat to the free internet and to the societies that have developed within it.

can you show why what the authors say are half true
i would like to know the details
xp

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

The discussion about SOPA itself is more important than anything this video brings to the table. I seriously urge you to read the full text.

To have a basic understanding of what in this video is half-truth, you need to understand how content providers get the content they present to people - in this case, peer to peer file sharing programs.

CNet's basic disclaimer is here:
web.archive.org

In a similar fashion to how people have RSS feeds that provide them with news, content providers get feeds of software, usually from volunteer contributors.

What makes this video a complete off-topic exaggeration is that the guy in the video, "Mike Mozart" from blogTV, is ABSOLUTELY familiar with that.

People get his video the exact same way content providers of the 1995-2010 era got list of downloads and "cool software" - through non-coordinated volunteers - the exact same way you distributed it here.

And in the same way that ATS distances itself from advocating online rebellion (what is currently /legal/), CNet LONG AGO distanced themselves from advocating online piracy.

But that doesn't mean they had (or STILL have) the manpower to filter all of that - the tech to do that took time to build, and is still in relative infancy - I'd be willing to bet that at least one torrent client is still very present on CNet today.

But read the full text of SOPA - don't bother with this guy, because if he's not a divide-and-conquer shill, he's (possibly unintentionally) misdirecting the debate away from what SOPA actually is - a set of legal changes to help make the Internet the battleground that it otherwise isn't actually becoming.

So long as that happens, there's something else to lock down with money.
edit on 23-12-2011 by cryptographrix because: I fail at web links. Trying to fix the web.archive.org link

edit on 23-12-2011 by cryptographrix because: shortened the link. maybe that will help. let me know if you'd like me to use a different url shortener.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
To those of you who just joined...

The bill is here.

Please read the bill itself. Any debate or discussion about it doesn't say as much as what the bill itself says.

The bill is here.

This is important. We're all lied to on a day to day basis, but this is an end-game move in legitimizing those lies, and (in my opinion) must not stand.

The bill is here.

If this passes, the factions will have their planned "cyber war" because they will have created it, and have created it, and they will turn a profit, and the same thing that has happened to every potentially useful technology will have happened with the Internet, finally, as well.

The bill is here.

Don't read anything else, any of the dumb stuff I talk about if you want, but read the bill.

The bill is here.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
I just wish This video
did not sound like a joke!

new topics

top topics

join