It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas of crisis in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Merry Christmas ATS...and all those who are less fortunate or on the brink, me included lol, keep your heads up and continue the good fight. Truth is self evident...and Family is the best present anyone can have...so when we wake up Christmas morning,for those who celebrate Christmas, remember, it is Freedom and Liberty which gives us the right to pursue Happiness.

Peace.

Source

America at Christmas 2011 is a society of mass poverty, on the one hand, and vast wealth accumulation, on the other—tens of millions of people are poor and desperate, while a relative handful enjoy riches undreamt of by the Egyptian pharaohs or the aristocracy of Louis XIV.

Government agencies and social service groups document the tidal wave of human need in statistics that are increasingly mind-boggling: 50 million Americans live below the official poverty line, while another 100 million live in “near-poverty,” struggling to support themselves on incomes so low that they are one misfortune away from destitution.

edit on 23-12-2011 by Daedal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Merry Christmas to you as well and everyone else on ATS.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Merry Christmas from the Grouch

edit on 23-12-2011 by davidgrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Merry Christmas...

Has anyone seen ..."The Homecoming".. the original pilot for The Waltons TV show from the 1970s? You can find it online and usually in Walmart around Xmas. It is a perrenial favorite in our home.

It is a really good portrayal of Christmas during the Great Depression... not quite so cleaned up as the TV series. In fact in parts, it is quite desperate... much like my parents described the Depression.

Anyway, I suggest it so as to keep things in perspective in relation to today's economic circumstance. Anyway, we are having a Walton's Christmas at our house. Although we are both working, we are being frugal. homemade gifts, baked items, fudge, cookies, cakes will be the gifts this year...the only store bought items will be a few pocket knives, good flashlights, and good gloves.

Our health and our family are gifts in themselves... and we are thankful for them,

Merry Christmas.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
Merry Christmas...

Has anyone seen ..."The Homecoming".. the original pilot for The Waltons TV show from the 1970s? You can find it online and usually in Walmart around Xmas. It is a perrenial favorite in our home.

the only store bought items will be a few pocket knives, good flashlights, and good gloves.

This is what's wrong. First you propose shopping at Walmart, then speak of making sacrifices and living within your means. There is a major disconnect here. The massive poverty in the USA is down to the expanding growth of corporate dominance and the extraction of wealth to a minority as a result.

I don't mean to be rude, so I hope you don't think that's my intention. I'm just pointing out the common loss of a train of thought.

Have a happy Christmas, blessed be.
And you're right that family is far more important than anything else at this time of year

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

No offense taken. If you go and sit in the parking lot of Walmart, you will see that is where the majority of poor and lower middle class people shop... it isn't a choice for them, it is a lifestyle by default.

Many of them don't have the internet... and they probably can't afford Target or Kohl's... and they probably don't carry The Homecoming anyway.

They have to shop somewhere.. and 99% of the time... it is Walmart.. I despise them, but they are everywhere and have a very successful operation... and for 4.99... you can get a feature movie or a double feature of older movies.

98% of poor people have a TV... 68% have the internet... where will we get a movie today?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Daedal

I see this Christmas will go down in history for the number of suicides we will see. You know it's pretty high during the holiday season, but I suspect it will be astronomical this year.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by AlreadyGone
reply to post by detachedindividual

No offense taken. If you go and sit in the parking lot of Walmart, you will see that is where the majority of poor and lower middle class people shop... it isn't a choice for them, it is a lifestyle by default.

Many of them don't have the internet... and they probably can't afford Target or Kohl's... and they probably don't carry The Homecoming anyway.

They have to shop somewhere.. and 99% of the time... it is Walmart.. I despise them, but they are everywhere and have a very successful operation... and for 4.99... you can get a feature movie or a double feature of older movies.

98% of poor people have a TV... 68% have the internet... where will we get a movie today?

Right on with that post..
Although I despise corporations that kill the little man this is reality. When you are broke or poor you go where you can get the most for your money. Thats life. I don't see anyone paying me to shop at a high priced store and when every dollar counts, it's called survival. So to all those who are high on their throne and can afford to support small shops or fancy Targaaa (Target) I will sleep soundly knowing that I could manage to scrap up enough change to give my kids a few more gifts this christmas because I saved a buck or two. And even though we were strapped for cash guess what, we still managed to throw a little at the Salvation Army bucket, you know pass a little on. Wasn't much but hey spread the wealth right? And being out of work for the last two years and at least one more surgery to go the future doesn't look any brighter over here for the next christmas.

new topics

top topics

join