It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christmas tamales.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I know many people who make it a tradition to have tamales for Christmas each year.. its almost hand in hand like turkey on Thanksgiving.

I don't know how to make them myself, so I ask you ATS- do you have any good, cheap, easy tamales recipes?

If they are not 'cheap' I would still like to hear them, love tamales, but my family isn't making any this year.

Is it a tradition for your family as well?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I just love tamales..one of my favorite things to eat! I'm hoping to see some of the recipes members post and hopefully a few tips for making them. I know I tried several times but my masa was yuck..the filling was fine. Thanks for your thread Cheers Coco

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
This is the complete Tamale site. A tamale lovers dream.

Includes step by step tutorial in authentic Mexican Tamales

www.sonofthesouth.net...

Welcome to the My Hot Tamale, Recipe Page. We are going to take you step by step though the process. We don't simply give you a list of ingredients and some cryptic instructions, we take you through it step by step with pictures. With this site you simply can not go wrong. You will be able to make the most mouth watering Mexican Food dish that you have ever tasted, Guaranteed!

Most people are intimidated by making tamales, but there is no need to be. The key thing is plan things out. You need to make sure that you have all ingredients and equipment before you start. We break the instructions into three parts. First, you need to gather up the ingredients, and equipment. Second, you will need to cook the meat that serves as the heart of the hot tamale. Finally, you need to cook the tamales. We suggest making this a two day process. Gather the ingredients and cook the meat on day 1, and then prepare and cook the tamales on day 2. Since the process is somewhat involved, we suggest making big batches of tamales. In fact we love to make them in teams. Have a good friend come over, and make a double big batch and then split them. Tamale making is fun, and for many people, getting together for a "Tamale Day" has become a tradition. Now, Without Further ado, we will go through the step by step instructions on making tamales. Click on each of the sections (I, II, and III) for in depth instructions. Tamales, Easy as I, II, III!

All 3 steps have photos, and every bit of info you will need.

I've made this recipe...it is to die for.....Bon Appetit

edit on 23-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Yumm yum this is great and bookmarked...I am going to try this out ASAP! thanks for posting it..Cheers Coco

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by itscocobaby

Yumm yum this is great and bookmarked...I am going to try this out ASAP! thanks for posting it..Cheers Coco

You will love it. I don't know of any *easy* tamale recipes...just that this one is so damn authentic, once you dive in, you'll never look for another. Tamale parties are a hoot too. Make a batch of Mango Margaritas...have a ball cooking with friends.

Mango Margarita Recipe

Ingredients:

Servings:

sugar , for rim (optional)
1/2 lime , quarters
1/2 cup tequila , good quality
1 ounce triple sec or 1 ounce Cointreau liqueur or 1 ounce Grand Marnier
2/3 cup mango nectar
3/4 cup partially frozen mango (prefer individual quick frozen or fresh) (optional)
2 ounces simple syrup or 2 ounces sour mix
3 tablespoons lime juice
1 cup ice cube
lime , slices garnish

Directions:

Rim margarita, hurricane-style glass or cocktail glasses with sugar, if inclined.
Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor if using fresh or frozen mango. Otherwise, pour into cocktail shaker and shake.
Strain into glasses. Squeeze juice from 1 lime quarter into each drink and garnish glass with lime slice.

Read more: www.food.com...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
If possible a tamale party is the way to go. Once you get an assembly line going it's a whole lot easier. Many hands make light work.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

@Destinyone Mango and Lime 2 of my very favorite flavors..and who doesn't love a Margarita? I'm going to grab a kitchen full of friends and whip up these tasty treats..

@Josephus Very good idea Josephus..this sounds like a party to me
Thanks guys for the recipes and suggestions..Cheers and Happy Holidays to you all Coco

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by itscocobaby
I just love tamales..one of my favorite things to eat! I'm hoping to see some of the recipes members post and hopefully a few tips for making them. I know I tried several times but my masa was yuck..the filling was fine. Thanks for your thread Cheers Coco

For the sake of getting the best masa - for my tamales - I make them with chicken but a similar approach can be adapted with other meats. I start with a stockpot of chicken thighs, gook them and let cool, then remove the skins to put in the blender. I add the blender-liquified skins along with some stock and fat to the masa mix. This gives the masa extra protien and flavor and the texture will be amazing. Continue your tamales as you normally would.

Tip to beginners: Soak your corn husks in water before using to make them pliable. Seems the very first time I made tamales I tried to use them dry and that just doesn't work so well. That's a very basic step but beginners often make very basic errors like I did some years ago.

It's now a couple days after Xmas but still a good time for tamales. Santos Reyes on January 6 - the day the Reyes Magos leave presents under the childrens' beds - is the day for eating the round cake/bread rosca de reyes. If your piece of the rosca contains a little plastic doll then you help make the tamales for Candlemas on February 2. Traditions vary somewhat place to place but that's the way it is in my neighborhood.

edit on 27-12-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

top topics

join