It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hung (cancelled HBO series) Star, Thomas Jane on brainwashing in America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Recently, HUNG, the HBO series about a male prostitute in Detroit was cancelled despite having a viewer base of almost 4 million people. (including me!) It's star, Thomas Jane has some keen insights and unconventional opinions about brainwashing in America that are worth a read!

I've extracted some of Jane's quotes in the interview and condensed them in the below quote from The Huffington Post

Thomas Jane was nominated for a Golden Globe last week, but don't expect him to go check out his competition. In fact, unless he's forced to, he doesn't even watch his own show, "Hung." Or, as he tells TheFix.com, any of the other "in depth brainwashing that's done by CNN or any news show or any television show."

Jane says that the corporate-driven media, liquor, the education system and the collusion of big business and the government have brainwashed Americans into complacency.

"People's reactions to the world around them, if you give them drugs and alcohol, they tend to not worry too much that you're ripping them off on the parking meters and you're putting people in office that don't know what the f*ck they're doing," the actor says. "We can go down to the bar and complain about it there instead of going down to f*cking Congress and complaining to the people who really f*cking need to hear it, you'll find yourself down at the corner bar, yelling at the f*cking bartender, who could give a f*ck, is just waiting to go home and turn on the goddamn TV.

"I find a nation of sleepers and slackers, and it's not our fault, we've been conditioned to stay asleep... We wake up briefly, but by then we're too tired and shell shocked and beaten down to do anything about it, because we realize half of our life is gone,"

Generally, the easiest thing to do is to fall back asleep and just sort of nestle in and wait for a bit until we slough off the mortal coil and call it quits. That's the metaphor in our film of death."

while substances create some of our problems, Jane says they're really just a symptom of a brainwashing that starts at a very early age.

"That's what school is, it's a prison for your mind, and it's a travesty that we do this to our children, it's an open letter that Rockefeller wrote to the President of the United States saying, 'We need workers,'" he says, noting that he does not send his own children to American public schools. "And that's why we have the school system that we have in our country, is that Rockefeller said we need workers, people who follow directions, who are able to stay in one place for about eight hours a day, and people who fear authority."

Read the complete interview including his wake up call here.

Hey Mods! I am not sure where to post this but tried to think like a moderator about it. I can see that this posting doesn't even make the firehose. Only those who check the television forum on a regular basis will see it.
*Realizing this, I've made it a favorite.*
edit on 23/12/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

Go to this link too! More from Jane...theFix
edit on 23/12/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I'll bump ya. Nice to see a media participant telling it like it is.

I don't have cable so I've never seen his show, though.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

Awesome find
S&F

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

It's a half hour comedic show. It's not that enlightened, but it's star seems to be!
Thank you!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Was the show canceled before or after he made his comments?
(it seems by your post before.. but just making sure)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

I am pretty sure the interview is post series cancellation. The show was cancelled a couple weeks ago.

edit on 23/12/11 by RainbeauBleu because: clarity

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
my only problem is that it is not our fault.

I feel we should all take responsibility as individuals first to realize that WE need to move on from this ship.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalThought
my only problem is that it is not our fault.

I feel we should all take responsibility as individuals first to realize that WE need to move on from this ship.

To me, it seems like the issue is awareness. How can we move on if we deny there is a problem? That's what I liked about Jane's rant. It's unusual from a celebrity: this talk about brainwashing.
edit on 25/12/11 by RainbeauBleu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by RainbeauBleu

I know, I am terrible.Please excuse I had some wine to drink. What I really want to know is whether he's.....hung. Never got the chance to glimpse his biggest asset (I mean when watching Hung, the few times I did).

posted on Feb, 9 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
The reason so many actors and actresses can speak out on the world around them is that they aren't busy trying to figure out how to pay their bills, and have lots of idle time to just think of the stupid stuff they want to mouth off on.

Must be nice.

Anyhow, with Hung, particularly, it had kind of run its course. The novelty of the show was what happened in the beginning. The show's own formula doomed it, as he became more of a pro, the charm of the basic premise disappears.

Kind of dumb to talk down about the very audience that is responsible for the nice new house and nice new car you are sporting. Because of this lack of gratitude, is it any wonder that people don't take celebs seriously?

new topics

join