It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jack Goldman, Founder of Xerox PARC, Dies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Jack Goldman, Founder of Xerox PARC, Dies

www.wired.com

Jacob “Jack” Goldman — the man who founded the lab that pretty much invented the personal computer as we know it — has died at age 90.

Goldman was the Xerox Chief Scientist who in 1969 proposed that the company create a pure research laboratory that would put Xerox in the same league as IBM and AT&T, whose Yorktown Heights and Bell Labs facilities are now legendary.

The result was Xerox Palo Alto Research Center (PARC) — the birthplace of the graphical user interface, Ethernet, the laser printer, and object-oriented programming.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Growing up in the heart of the Silicoln Valley, I was quite fortunate to not only have access to these innovations first hand (you would be amazed at the stuff friends dads would have lying around the house) but actually meet some of these titans firsthand. While I never met Goldman I new many who worked at PARC.

From the ALTO, the first networked computer, to the GUI, and a little thing called "Ethernet" PARC under Goldmans leadership defined the tech world we live in now. Thank you......

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 12/23/11 by FredT because: (no reason given)

edit on 12/23/11 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Quite an impressive list of inventions on their wiki page. It's sad they haven't really been remembered by people. Optical discs, laser printers, ethernet, ipv6 and the GUI? Just Wow! May he rest in peace and may they continue to innovate.

Some say they failed to capitulate business-wise on their inventions but personally I think that also credits them.

edit on 23/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yeah, the other one that has even more impressive acomplishments is SRI International which is just down the road. The really cool thing is that PARC (and SRI) are still here and going strong. Out of the box thinking and innovation will stand the test of time.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

Yup, have to agree with your last statement there. Out of the box is a great way of getting things done even though it's not in my skill-set. I imagine some people are just gifted in ways that most of us are not.

I can't remember the exact details but NASA or the military or some other famous organisation called a bunch of thinkers together and told them something along the lines of "either the Russians or Aliens have this new technology" and we need it too. The tech in question was some hitherto undiscovered "thing". After the group of scientists had gotten over their disbelief and amazement, they set to work. It didn't take them long to create what was requested of them whereupon the organisation turned round and told them they had actually lied. A real facepalm moment in a good way for the scientists but it just goes to show what is really possible.

I'm sure I read that story on here,even if it's an urban myth it's still valid imho.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Yeah, the other one that has even more impressive acomplishments is SRI International which is just down the road. The really cool thing is that PARC (and SRI) are still here and going strong. Out of the box thinking and innovation will stand the test of time.

May he rest in peace, thank you.

Remote Viewing came out of SRI to name just one.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aquarius1

Thank you for the info! I wiki'd their page but didn't see too much on their inventions or discoveries, at least not in an easy to read format like the PARC wiki page.

As soon as you said that, I went and googled (a memory synapse fired) and it was true. The Men Who Stare At Goats. Thanks again. (I watch a lot of movies and gain much info from them along with the entertainment of course)
Clever and daring people methinks. I feel a bit sorry for the goats though.

new topics

top topics

join