It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AP Poll: Nearly 8 in 10 Believe in Angels

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Story Here

Angels don't just sing at Christmastime. For most Americans, they're a year-round presence. A new Associated Press-GfK poll shows that 77 percent of adults believe these ethereal beings are real.

Belief is primarily tied to religion, with 88 percent of Christians, 95 percent of evangelical Christians and 94 percent of those who attend weekly religious services of any sort saying they believe in angels.

But belief in angels is fairly widespread even among the less religious. A majority of non-Christians think angels exist, as do more than 4 in 10 of those who never attend religious services

CBS
Google/AP

I don't know if I believe in Angels. Guess it depends on the day.
I believe in spirits. I believe in demons ... which are 'fallen' angels.
I believe in ghosts. I believe the dead are alive and active.
I've just never been drawn to angels like some people are.

Anyways .. thought some folks might find this interesting.
Apparently, even many of those not involved with religion believe in angels.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I believe in Guardian Angels, I've been told I have a lot of them as I should be dead 10 times over from cancer to heart attacks. When I pray I pray for them to protect family, friends and loved one. Supposedly if you see 4:44 you are surrounded by Angels, I see that a lot and get a thankful feeling. Thanks for sharing!

BTW - FlyersFan - Still not happy about losing Pronger to the Flyers,
- DucksFan

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
"Less religious" or "Non-Christian" does not mean they don't belong to a religion. Once you are in a religion, believing in these things comes naturally.

I believe in energy, chi, karma, etc,

Not ghost, demons, devil, angels... etc but will i walk into a pitch black catacomb without being scared, of course not!. Fear of these things are around since you are a child, because dark,night, black etc is evil. Ofcourse when there is evil, we will look for the opposite as well, thus angels, gods, etc.
edit on 12/23/2011 by luciddream because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
Supposedly if you see 4:44 you are surrounded by Angels,

For the past three nights in a row I've woken up at 3:33 am.
Wonder what that means. Probably something demonic with my luck.

Still not happy about losing Pronger to the Flyers,
- DucksFan

bwahahahaaaa ... he's OURS now!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream
will i walk into a pitch black catacomb without being scared, of course not!.

That goes to evolutionary psychology. Our ancestors feared the dark because of what was out in it that could kill them. Fear of the dark is left over from evolution. At least, that's what my teacher said in my evolutionary psychology class. (and lots of psychology is guess work anyways).

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

It was going to be posted sooner or later anyway, but Carlin sums up my opinion on this subject pretty much PERFECTLY. Some bad language in the video:

Last thing we need is more superstition in this world, the 21st century, we've got tablet computers, space stations and we can look into deep space to find other planets... but people still want to believe in angels :bnghd:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Angels = Anunnaki

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I thought fear of the dark was actually a fear of the Vashta Nerada.

Joking aside, I've often felt the presense of 'something' I couldn't explain. Most people do at some time. It's all chemicals, though. Google "God Helmet", a scientist showed that you can stimulate the feeling of a divine encounter by using electrodes placed at the right points on the head. It's an interesting read.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I was born into and raised in a typical Orthodox Religion. Since then I've learned a few things.

IMO most [if not] all Religions today have gotten away from their original premise/purpose. That was, to teach man how to gain a closer "Spiritual" connection not just regurgitate what sounds good or dictate to man what he should think and or how to live.

Angels?

Are they "Spiritual" creatures/entities?
Are they "Beings" from another dimension?
Are they from a "Higher Plain" of existence?

What name will we give them in the next few Centuries?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Titen-Sxull
Last thing we need is more superstition in this world, the 21st century, we've got tablet computers, space stations and we can look into deep space to find other planets... but people still want to believe in angels :bnghd:

:bnghd: Last thing we need is superstition ... and myopic people who think that the only things that exist are that which they can see. Remember .. 'science' discounted germs as nonsense, before someone invented a device in which they could be seen.

I don't think science states that there is a single dimension. Doesn't it say the probabilities of other dimensions, such as the abstract five-dimensional space, and other life forms is great ?? (or at least very possible?)

Five Dimensional Space
Imagining the 10th Dimension
Life in other dimensions is possible says Hawking

edit on 12/23/2011 by FlyersFan because: fixed link

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
That goes to evolutionary psychology. Our ancestors feared the dark because of what was out in it that could kill them. Fear of the dark is left over from evolution. At least, that's what my teacher said in my evolutionary psychology class. (and lots of psychology is guess work anyways).

Fear of the Dark or of the Unknown?
Man has gone from being the Prey to the Hunter. Is there any other evolutionary example of this transition? Maybe why man has carried with him all this way both an aggressive and compassionate nature. Both the hunter and the sympathizer for the Prey.

We have been both eh?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Fear of the Dark or of the Unknown?

Ahhhh! A philosopher!
I'm just repeating to you what was taught in my Evolutionary Psychology class. Fear of the dark goes to fear that our ancestors had of the big bad critters who were nocturnal and who could kill them. I suppose you could say that they feared the unknown .. they didn't know if a hungry tiger was in the tall grass or something. (like I have said before elsewhere here .. that evolutionary psychology book is full of 'information' that, from what I can tell, is mostly educated guessing)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I believe in Angels, but I don't think Angels believe in me! LOL

All joking aside, Angels aren't necessary entities with wings or whatever we are led to belive. Anyone of us could be Angels at any given time, you just have to do a good deed for someone who is in real need of one and if you just so happen to help (because that's your nature) them and in a positive way affected the people you intended to help then you became their angel!

Everyone tries to be Angels on Christmas holidays only, try it 365 days a year! Just like mother's & father's day, it should be every day of the year too!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Reply to post by FlyersFan

-_- Its things like this that make me want to move to Europe. People in America are blinded by religion....clearly angels do not exist. If they did someone would have taken a picture or video of one by now. They are mythological beings. Smh......

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheEnlightenedOne
I believe in Angels, but I don't think Angels believe in me! LOL

All joking aside, Angels aren't necessary entities with wings or whatever we are led to belive. Anyone of us could be Angels at any given time, you just have to do a good deed for someone who is in real need of one and if you just so happen to help (because that's your nature) them and in a positive way affected the people you intended to help then you became their angel!

Everyone tries to be Angels on Christmas holidays only, try it 365 days a year! Just like mother's & father's day, it should be every day of the year too!

haha, it seems

Karma meter = Angel.

Now THAT i believe.!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Its things like this that make me want to move to Europe.

Go ahead.

People in America are blinded by religion...

The poll said that even people not involved in religion believe in angels.

clearly angels do not exist. If they did someone would have taken a picture or video of one by now. They are mythological beings.

That's what so called 'modern scientists' said hundreds of years ago about germs. The debate about if germs existed or not. If you can't see germs .. they dont' exist. .. that was the mantra Turns out that those modern (of their time) scientists were wrong. They were wrong about trees giving birth to birds too. And they were wrong about _______. (fill in the blank with any one of many things they have been wrong about)

Other dimensions exist. Math proves it.

Side note - Energy changes and does not die. So where does the energy of the living go when the body 'dies'?
The energy doesn't die. It changes. Where does it go??

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Well, I guess that makes me a minority.

So we shouldn't look for some kind of proof that things exist? We should just take every lunatic idea at face value? I should assume unicorns exist? Leprechauns? Honest politicians?

Bottom line for me, if there isn't a shred of proof for it, then it doesn't exist.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

I'm not sure how to answer your comments but let me try it.
Do you believe in LOVE? Have you ever been in love? If you have | are | were in love then explain to me how that came to be? You can't see love therefore it doesn't exist! Isn't that your theory? You can't touch it either, then we are all crazy for believing in something that we can't smell, touch, feel, see!

Angels are something magical that are only present when you are in need of something. That little voice in your head telling you to "keep walking don't stop here" and you followed that voice and something happened right where you almost stopped....that little voice could be interpreted as an Angel guiding you away from danger!

Think outside the box!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by jtap66
if there isn't a shred of proof for it, then it doesn't exist.

I understand what you are saying ... really. But at the same time, it's myopic to think that only that which we can see, exists. It's just that science hasn't advanced far enough yet to be able to measure what is in other dimensions. I gave the disbelief in germs as an example.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

Guess you do not believe in wind either?

Before you say that feeling it is evidence- feeling it is an effect of wind.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join