It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

$25 (£16) PC Ready for Launch

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by eazyriderl_l
It seems what is missing is them admitting what will happen. This is a business card size computer that can download and play hd files directly to the television. This is a tiny personal, or family media entertainment center that with a usb hub can be nearly any gaming system or family video archive, anything with minor upgrades.

And its the size of a business card or just a bit thicker with batteries and case and inputs
Amazing

now, i plan on using one for youtube and xvids on the TV...
however
i don't think its powerful enough for true hd playback through a kernal...
they say is is, but I seriously doubt it...
it should be sufficient for xvid and flash files though

either way, can't wait...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
£16 all over news on the net, and here, right before christmas day/yuletide/whatever( its a different debate) hits and people suddenly have some cash and more stuff. pro advertising techniques indeed, i'd be suprised if they don't sell.

me...i'm building a supercomputer so, I can wait.

ed: barebones is great for 16 quid and I really like the idea, but personally this is way too late in the game unless you take the power options into account, I have a netbook, a psp that once ran windows experimentally (because people do these things >_>) and I take chargers with me, its rare you'd feel the need to open up a pdf in a survival situation anyway I would think, net connection might help though, google maps ftw.

my point being I could just underclock one of the above systems and do what I need with them without spending any further cash.
edit on 24/12/2011 by whatsinaname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This type device will launch the first real Internet appliances. I do see the need for a micro display, but we got or can get that.

Ovens set bake time and temp based on an e-recipe downloaded on said oven.
The fridge can raise hell when you leave the door open, and fill out the grocery list.
Your alarm clock could download "waketones", perhaps machine gun fire for him, and a nice bird singing for her.

Linux FTW btw.
As a learning tool, you would have to learn to develop on it specifically, but it would be better than a basic stamp.
I would imagine performance will be an issue, but who knows how light they can get the os.
Anyway, not going to be my desktop, but I might stick one in the car to sniff out open wi-fi hotspots and signal with sound only, then switch on Pandora radio after remaining in a hotspot for a time period.

Awesome!

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I think robotics will be one of the biggest markets for this board. This kind of power and interface ports in a small form factor has robotics written all over it. There will a big demand for controllers like a USB to DAC,A2D and Digital I/O channels and the Video DAC can probably be used for other purposes as well.

Uses will be automation and industry as well as just a hobby toy with excellent open-source apps and drivers that will just kill a lot of what is being charged for today for capability like this.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
this is worth trying out just for the price alone.

posted on Dec, 25 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
This might be good for a security computer if i can control and record from 1 to 4 cameras and to a 64gb flash drive,

If it will do that i can build hidden security recorders into clocks, smoke alarms. cars. or any other small idems that would be able to record in places that even the best systems now would and with less power..

Solar hidden cameras in trees on your property to catch intruders or game for a year???
Security cameras for remote cabins without power.
Security cameras for inside your car.
Cameras for remote archaeological sites to stop artifact theft

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join