It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People with no concept of money....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

I swear some people think that money just grows on trees. HAHA Okay, I'm a tad bit guilty of it. But I have learned to toned it down a tad bit. Wink.

So, my dad gives my niece $50 to get a nice x-mas present. At 9:00 AM sharp , we go to cash that money gram. 5 minutes later she ask "Can we go to all for a dollar?" I was like, "sure". 2 minutes later she comes back, and she is flat arse broke. Her mother and her come out with a cart. I'm like, "Where did your $50 go?" All excited she's like "I got all these toys". And I'm like, "and how do you expect to get your Pet Sims?" and she goes, "Well you get paid today don't you? So, I'm like, "Not until next week and guess what? I worked for that check, so, that's my money. If you want money, you going to have to find a job. It don't grow on trees."

So, I turn around and bring it all back to the register. Lady at the register is like, "well, she had a adult with her." And, I'm like laughing, "Like mother, Like daughter. Both of them think money grows on trees."

So, who else has no concept of money?
edit on 23-12-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-12-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Im guilty of it, so is my girlfriend.
But money is not really important to me, it pays my bills and lets me eat and thats really as far as it goes, if i need something then i save for it.
If i want something then i save my own personal stash for it.

Money doesn't grow from anywhere, it's a tool to keep us in check. Haha.

Sometimes i think my neighbors hear me screaming "I HATE MONEYYY!!!"

and i do. Lol. If money wasn't a requirement for life, then i wouldnt have any =P

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Most people have no concept of money to begin with, the banks invented this thing called credit to further that concept. We live tied to a system where having no credit is worse than having bad credit. It's absolutely insane. Someone who lives within there means and buys stuff with the money they have in there account is frowned appon. Simply because the "system" isn't making money off someone who pays for everything out right. So what do the banks do? Start to charge us $5 to use the money we already earned and payed taxes on... Last I checked the banks were backing off on that, but still...

When people get real paper fiat money in there hands they don't really know what to do with it other than spend it as fast as possible. My sister was a pro at this growing up, my family would go to the mall and both me and my sister would get like $20 to spend however we saw fit. She would blow through it in about 5 min, I would save up for a few months and get what I really had my eye on. Like an rc car or the newest super soaker. She had a bank run her through the ringer a few years back so she learned her lesson...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
My concept of money is firmly intact. It has to be when there are bills to pay, cars to maintain ,a horse to feed and keep healthy, and a house to keep maintained.

I'm not one to cry that I'm kept in chains by TPTB either because I certainly don't NEED all of those things. I WANT electricity. I WANT to drive my vehicles. I WANT my daughter to have a horse, she enjoys him. I WANT a roof over my head. It's called life and you have to pay for it.

It's the ones who have no concept of money that I feel sorry for. They don't feel the need to earn what they get, therefore they don't appreciate what they have. If you don't appreciate what you have you're probably not going to have it very long. (This goes for people too) This is probably why people who have no concept of money don't have any.

The types of people I admire are the likes of Donald Trump, Steve Jobs and Sam Walton because they earned every dollar that passed through their hands. They started with next to nothing and became leaders in their respective fields, and quite wealthy to boot, because they worked hard and respected money and what it could do for them.

People like this should be the role models for our kids, not grown men who play games for a living. If this were the case, our country could be in better shape financially. Sure, they're fun to watch, but do they really need THAT much money for what they do?

Personally, I think musicians should get more money than sports figures.

BTW, if this was supposed to be a lighthearted thread, sorry for being a buzzkill.

youtu.be...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I view money as tools/supplies. Literally, I use the mental image of hammers, nails, etc. I have maintenance tasks to deal with every month (paying bills, making food, etc.) and a limited number of nails, screws, and tools to do it with. I make sure that all of the mandatory tasks are completed first, then I handle nice to haves, then I handle wants, so long as I am not within 10% of my monthly budget buffer (I make sure there is always a minimum amount on hand for crisis). This analogy keeps things straight in my head...

Luckily, my wife is of the mind set that since she is a stay at home mom, she does not have final say in the spending process. I don't always agree with her viewpoint there, but it helps when all final spending decisions go through one person.

My Daughter just got $55 as a bonus from our roomate because of her performance on doing her chores while my wife was away for a month. Sounds nice, except that the original agreement was $100... she lost $45 due to varies issues. She set aside $15 immediately to take her boyfriend out to the movies and then spent the balance on treating her friends to food and candy. She rarely gets any money (no allowance here), and the first thing she did was blow it on her friends. lol.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I would not say I have no concept of money, but I do have a very lose grasp of it.

But on the other hand I don't usually buy stuff or spend much on anything, and I freaking hate shopping. Just today I was going to buy some presents at the mall for the family, but when I got there and had to walk back and forth to all the different shops and stuff and to mention all the people in the way making things slow I got pissed and forgot what I was looking to get in the first place.

Then I had to walk back and forth trough the mall thinking what I was going to buy and what I should buy, I did that for like 30 minutes till I couldn't take it no more and had to get the hell out of there.

So now I will probably go back tomorrow and hopefully there will be less people, but i am only going to get something for my mom and dad, and everybody else is getting an envelope with some cash if there lucky, and they can go buy what the hell they want to buy. And socks if there not lucky.

But I don't know I would not say I have no concept of money, more along the lines of I feel like I got no time for dealing with all that stuff or especially the patience....You would be surprised how much time is wasted dealing with that stuff, it's freaking annoying.

But hey manhater, in a lot of your post I see you like to blow steam on you dealings with your niece and other troublesome guests, so much so infact that i am starting to think that you just might secretly like the humdrum, commotions, and the drama they bring.

But no really 50$ dollars worth of dollar toys which she will probably get bored of in a day and never touch again.
Oh yes the kid I could check off for being a kid, but the mother...The bigger kids are usually more troublesome then the smaller versions. You have your hands full no doubt.

But then again money might not grow on trees, but it is made of a mixture of cotton and linen. So in a way it is more abundant and cheaper then the stuff that grows on trees or is made form trees.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

That's what I said to myself in the car, you got all this junk and you're not even going to play with any of it. Or, it will be more objects to throw around in my house. I was like, no, no, no,no.... Dad gave you that money to buy a nice gift for yourself and that's what you are going to do.

She's a Sims freak. Has practically all of them. I think the game is a bad influence, so I told her mom, your going to get off your butt and go take her to wal-mart and buy her Sims.

She'll use that, more then she will a transformer figurine.
Or, a suppose dog tent that my dog will never use.

Trying to figure out how to hook up the internet to PS3. So, she can get the additional animals. Can't figure it out though.

This whole week she's been calm, so, it looks like the doctors have straightened out her meds. But, woosh boy, when she is off them. You better run.

edit on 24-12-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

I kind of know what you mean my sister has her two mini me, and there spoiled little brats. Well at least one is, the other one is to young to cause much drama as of yet, but they have more toys lying around then they ever will play with and every year and holiday or b-day they just get more stuff that ends up in a bin, or in the trash.

Trying to figure out how to hook up the internet to PS3. So, she can get the additional animals. Can't figure it out though.

wired

wireless

Oh I am sure you can figure it out manhater.

There are lots of vids and instructions online on how to get your ps3 online or using linux or whatever else people use it for. Just make sure your set your connection to enable and the rest is cake to hook up.

I even use the ps3 for surfing ATS most mornings when I am to lazy to get my ass on the computer, or off the bed. Tough trying to use the ps3 controller to type words is a real pain in the ass. If you don't have a keyboard which you have to buy optionally, it take like 30 min to type a sentence using the dam controller.

This whole week she's been calm, so, it looks like the doctors have straightened out her meds. But, woosh boy, when she is off them. You better run.

The whole kids on meds thing has really gone a bit to far, whatever happen to keeping them in line the good ol fashion way, by spanking them.....But yes manhater, I do believe you on how troublesome she is and the whole thing can be, that's why I stay far away from such things
But Just remember drugs don't really solve problems they just substitute them in a lot of cases, so I would not be taking them or giving them out like they were candy.

But eventually she will grow out of her sims games, and childish modes....Then there will be bigger problems.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The Ps3 is hers', I'm to new to it. I thought the PS3 was like a regular desktop where you hook the cable in and that's it.

I knew the controller could be wired or wireless, but, why should that matter when connecting it to the internet? Yuh, it even uses it's own keyboard? lol Toys, these days.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

I thought the PS3 was like a regular desktop where you hook the cable in and that's it.

It is, kind of, but it's a game machine first, all the internet stuff you first have to set up your connection first before it lets you online...And after that you just make a user name and you can go on the psn network or the psn store to download whatever you wanted to download for her sims game.

I knew the controller could be wired or wireless, but, why should that matter when connecting it to the internet?

Oh no it does not matter for what your trying to do.

I was just saying if you try to surf the net or type things on sites such as on ATS it's a bit time-consuming since you have to first bring up the window with the letters, then you have to drag and select each letter to form a word by using the joystick and hitting the X and O buttons to select the letters...Were as on a keyboard, you can just type using your fingers.

I would not worry tough, just plug it in, tell her to sit down, shut up and play, and you should be having some peace and quite for at least a couple of hours.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   

yeah right. God forbid if Sims don't work. ROFL. I can just see that tantrum now.

Okay, thanks. I'll try that tomorrow when she gets up.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Ahh,the old days when you could spank your kids and NOT
have the law called on you!
Also gone but not forgotten, the days when toys fueled young
minds and imaginations.examples...tinker toys,erector sets,
lincoln logs a box of crayons and blank sheets of paper.
Kids' now have to have more visual stimulation and they have
very little imagination.
The video games that they are glued to are very expensive to
buy and they are constantly becoming obsolete.You keep having
to buy new game systems.
One of my grandchildren wanted that new Call of Duty game."They"
didn't make this game for PS2,only PS3 or XBOX.I looked at one
of the XBOX game systems and they are too expensive to buy right
now.I remember that money doesn't grow on trees.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

Ahh,the old days when you could spank your kids and NOT have the law called on you!

What the hell you talking about, you can still spank your kids....Just you know there is a fine line between spanking and abuse...But ya parents please spank your kids.

All I do when my sisters "mine me's" start making to much noise and annoying me, is raise my hand and say it might be spanking time and they quite down, really you don't even have to spank them in most cases just say that you will, and they shut up for a while.

Also gone but not forgotten, the days when toys fueled young minds and imaginations.examples...tinker toys,erector sets, lincoln logs a box of crayons and blank sheets of paper. Kids' now have to have more visual stimulation and they have very little imagination.

I would not worry about the videogames and toys, I still have games that I play'd that I have had for years and years that I still play now and then, I definitely got my moneys worth out of some of those games. But everything becomes obsolete eventually.

One of my grandchildren wanted that new Call of Duty game."They" didn't make this game for PS2,only PS3 or XBOX.I looked at one of the XBOX game systems and they are too expensive to buy right now.

lol most of the call of duty games are just recycled versions of the last one, the newer versions are basically just updates on the old ones with a little better graphics. If anything paying 60$ for some of them is not worth it. Like for instance the newest version that came out some month ago might as well just be a update on the last version...But kids being kids will always want the newest and coolest thing and it does not matter what that is and the marketers and corporations know this and do take advantage of it.

But yes the technology will expand and grow, so there will always be something new on the horizon. Anyways get your kids into more physical activities most of them are getting to fat and lazy.

But If anything I would worry more about the drugs there trying to push on kids these days. And if they really need it or not they will spend more money on those drugs and prescriptions in one week, then the average kid will spend on videogames in a year. And really the only difference in some cases between your friendly neighborhood drug dealer, and the ones in offices or at your local drug store.

Is that one is sponsored by the state and drug companies and is institutionalized. And the other is sponsored by the same things, companies and people, but there not institutionalized.

Drugs are not candy, beware what you give your kids, for whatever crazy ass reasons. They will outgrow there video-games and toys, but with some of those drugs they will be dependent on them there whole life.

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 11:27 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 14 2018 @ 11:28 AM
link   

link   

link   

link