It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Camp

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I am currently watching a TV show here in the UK called Jesus Camp. As someone who has travelled to the US every summer for the past 5 years I was interested to see the difference between the non-denominational camp I work for and this one, described as recruiting children to join the 'Army of God'. I must say I am absolutely disgusted and disturbed by what I am seeing on this documentary. There is a clip here of the documentary:

I would love to hear all opinions on this clip but particularly the opinion of people who do call themselves Christians. Do you see this as acceptable? Are they taking things too far?

Thanks

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by SerialVelocity

Do a search on Jesus Camp. You'll find many opinions.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Rabid religious maniac camp.

These people should be in Asylums, along side the parents of these kids that sanction this abuse and indoctrination.

Cultish backward childish superstitious morons all.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Do a search on Jesus Camp. You'll find many opinions.

Yeah I saw some on the search but there were a lot from 4+ years ago...just wanted to see if the general consensus had changed

I was also too scared to resurrect an old thread haha

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Holy cow!!

Hey, I posted the vid into another thread on this forum....Christianity, is it child emotional abuse?

Please feel free to join us over there.
edit on 23-12-2011 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Absolutely UNacceptable. Can you imagine if public schools were to teach in this manner, what would happen to the teachers and administrators??

But private schools and camps, can do whatever they like?

Appalling, and heartbreaking. Those poor kids.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by SerialVelocity
I am currently watching a TV show here in the UK called Jesus Camp. As someone who has travelled to the US every summer for the past 5 years I was interested to see the difference between the non-denominational camp I work for and this one, described as recruiting children to join the 'Army of God'. I must say I am absolutely disgusted and disturbed by what I am seeing on this documentary. There is a clip here of the documentary:

I would love to hear all opinions on this clip but particularly the opinion of people who do call themselves Christians. Do you see this as acceptable? Are they taking things too far?

Thanks

Question: What makes the camp you work for a Christian camp as opposed to just a camp? I haven't watched the video to see the extreme Christian camp. But what do you do in your camp that makes it Christian without making it traumatic for the children of varying backgrounds?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cloudyday

It's just different in that the camp I work at has children of all different faiths. Any service (and I use the term loosely) that we have doesn't focus on any God in particular, it embraces cultures and religions from over 25 countries each summer
I don't know how much this affects the overall feel of the place but it's the most loving and accepting community I have ever experienced!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

reply to post by cloudyday

It's just different in that the camp I work at has children of all different faiths. Any service (and I use the term loosely) that we have doesn't focus on any God in particular, it embraces cultures and religions from over 25 countries each summer
I don't know how much this affects the overall feel of the place but it's the most loving and accepting community I have ever experienced!

Why talk about God at all if it must be so generalized? Why not just make it a secular camp? It sounds like a good camp, but I don't see where the religion fits in.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Thanks

Looks to me like theyre teaching the kids about Jesus. I havent watched it all yet but still working on it. There's no shame in lifting your hands to praise Yah and singing your heart out to him. We need to take christianity back to the first century where we weren't ashamed to sing to him and worship him...i'll update this as i watch the rest.

Praying in tongues...wth. Paul said if there's no one that can understand the message then the words are wasted and youre better off staying silent because that comes from man because if it was of the Holy Spirit there would be an interpreter. Their praying in tongues is just jibbering nonsense.

Theyre building these kids into zealots and theres no harm in zealotry as long as youre teaching correct and sound doctrine.

Now the stuff about Harry Potter...he's a fictional character and the worst wizard i have ever seen, Harry couldn't fight his way out of a paper sack. Gandalf is better imo.
edit on 24-12-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

The guy that said he believes God wants to put righteous men in government? I doubt that. Jesus never wanted us to obtain worldly power or wealth, or rule over other men. He wanted us to deny our wordly desires and die to this world, not rise up through its ranks to be at the top.

We are the armies of God, but we make war with our spirits and with the word of God as our sword and shield, this is not a physical war but a spiritual one. This spiritual war is not fought against other men but against Satan and his fallen cadre. We are battling for men's spirits and souls to keep them away from the ancient enemy.

Yes there does seem to be some brainwashing going on here, they are preaching their opinions and not the word of God.
edit on 24-12-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Praying in tongues...wth. Paul said if there's no one that can understand the message then the words are wasted and youre better off staying silent because that comes from man because if it was of the Holy Spirit there would be an interpreter.

Tell that to SuperiorEd, please. He likes you.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Praying in tongues...wth. Paul said if there's no one that can understand the message then the words are wasted and youre better off staying silent because that comes from man because if it was of the Holy Spirit there would be an interpreter.

Tell that to SuperiorEd, please. He likes you.

This is how speaking in tongues works as according to the events at Pentecost in the upper room with the 120 believers with Miriam (Mary the mother of Jesus) and Jesus' 12 disciples. I'm breaking the event down so its more easily understood.

They were all in the upper room and praying together with minds of one accord (one purpose, one thought, one mind and one heart) when there came a sound like a mighty rushing wind (large wind gust) and tongues of fire (small flames) appeared over their heads and they began to speak in tongues (different languages) and some of the newer believers laughed and said they (the apostles speaking tongues) were full of new wine (drunk) and as they spoke these different languages (that the apostles didn't previously know) some of the other disciples (not of the 12) could unerstand them because the apostles were speaking in their native languages.

What the Holy Spirit does is he allows believers to speak different languages but also allows them to understand those different langages because he is God and has no language barrier and he passes this gift to us.

Now some of these pentecostals that rattle off this jibberish while in america where we all speak english and in english speaking churches, the message would come as we understand it, in english not in jibberish. When the Holy Spirit is truly speaking through you the message will be heard and understood by all and it will not come out as nonsense. Many of these pentecostal churches teach that this comes from the Holy Spirit but it does not, it comes from them not Him.

In the U.S. we do not speak words like shobolobodiadeehahee shobokiah kee, we speak plain old engrish and the message would come as such. Anyone that ever bothered to read the book of Acts would know this.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Jesus camp is a radical group and does not represent the majority of bible believing Christians.

There intentions are good (I think), but there way of teaching is bad. They get the children to rely to heavily on there EMOTIONS and not the spirit of truth. Emotions are flawed and we should never rely on them the bible says. When I watch those videos all I see is a bunch of highly charged emotional children who have been pumped up to chant "Jesus Jesus Jesus". Well there is nothing wrong with calling on the name of Jesus, but its seems they are looking for an emotional experience and not a spiritual experience. Being children they know no better, and it is the leaders at fault.

Last but not least, Jesus said: "It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones." Luke 17:2

Since you wanted a response from a christian I hope this fullfills your request.

P.S the Jesus camp video is very old, I'm sure there are old threads about this.
edit on 24-12-2011 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

That is the very first post of yours that has shown any common sense, and it has changed my earlier impression of you.
Good on you, man.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

Well, emotions are tied to your spirit and are a part of your spirit. Take me for example, i have never been a very emotional man, i walked in sin for 14 years even though i knew of Jesus i didn't believe in him. I thought he was a man. I turned away from my sin last winter about this time of the year. It wasn't until this summer when he revealed to me that he was YHWH while reading he book of Isaiah and the book of John. It shook me to my core and i was baptized with holy fire and he opened my eyes to his truth. I admit i cried like a baby, i hadn't cried in over 10 years but when he revealed himself to me it was like a damn bursting within me. The day i was baptized by fire, i felt love, joy, awe, reverence, adoration and it was like my spirit was reacting to seeing his glory. Even though i couldn't see him with my eyes my spirit could see him and i could feel his presence and my spirit fought my body and i fell on my face and onto my knees, so powerful was his presence i knew i was kneeling before the King and my spirit was lifted up. I have never felt anything like that before or since but i constantly fear i will fail him, i do not want to suffer an eternity being shut away from him and his glory. His glory is the light that shines forth from him and obliterates the darkness.

top topics

join