It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops With Locksmith Entering Homes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:08 AM
link   

WESTERLY, R.I. (WPRI/AP) - National Grid says technicians are continuing to work on a natural gas outage in Westerly and that some restorations will be made overnight Thursday into Friday morning. 70 technicians will be working through the overnight hours to turn gas back on, and starting at 5 a.m. Friday 200 technicians will again be going door to door to continue making restorations.

If no one is home at the time, police officers along with a locksmith have been entering homes to shut the valves off.

So the cops have got a locksmith to break into peoples homes without a warrant...This is clearly a violation of citizens 4th Amendment rights, in my opinion.
What if the police just happen to "see" something lying on a coffee table they deem as being illegal. Does that give them justifiable cause to arrest the resident when they come home?
And since when did gas companies start putting gas shut-off valves inside residences?

read the article here

How far is our government and Law Enforcement going to push us before we stand up and push back?
Thoughts?
edit on 23-12-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
in some area of the country mechanical based equipment is prohibited being in street view. so there for placed with in the resident's home. and you are making a judgement i believe on something you lack of knowledge.

they are without gas currently. when gas pressure is restored there could be a potential that the pressure level increases than to what it was before. so everything down line has to be adjusted other wise it could put someone IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. so if this happened in my area and i used gas....i would be ok.

can you think of the events that could unfold if to much gas surged thousands of homes..potential threats...

furnace over-fire,soot ,CO,CO2, cause leaks in pipes that would have never leaked, then leading to a fire ball for a home...... yeah not worth it - they are trying to keep people safe after a screw up

they see something illegal... technically they wouldn't have a foot to stand on due to they breaking into the home
edit on 23-12-2011 by GodofWar411 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Elostone

How far is our government and Law Enforcement going to push us before we stand up and push back? Thoughts?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with what they are doing.
Its an emergency and they aren't doing it to be malicious.

I have had to enter people's homes just like that when we had a gas leak.

The fire dept and myself went door to door entering as we see fit.

I see NOTHING wrong with this....why are you trying to make this out like they are being malicious and taking your rights away??
Would you prefer they keep the valves on and something blows up???
edit on 23-12-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by GodofWar411
in some area of the country mechanical based equipment is prohibited being in street view. so there for placed with in the resident's home. and you are making a judgement i believe on something you lack of knowledge.

With all due respect, it seems you are the one lacking knowledge. Placing a gas meter in a home is a violation of the Uniform Mechanical Code.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Would you prefer they keep the valves on and something blows up???
edit on 23-12-2011 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

I would prefer they shut the gas off at the meter outside my home and post a notice on my door that they did so. Then I can turn it back on when the issue has been resolved.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   

By your logic if your home was on fire and you were inside....they would be violating your rights by entering your home to rescue you.
You are making a mountain from a molehill.

This is an EMERGENCY!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone

With all due respect, it seems you are the one lacking knowledge. Placing a gas meter in a home is a violation of the Uniform Mechanical Code.

be cause there is a code doesn't mean it's inforced and meter locations pre-date many guidelines in place......
i go into thousands of homes a year and 80% of 20yrs and older homes have meters inside.

sorry i base my judgement on real world experience not what some book says what it should be. not saying it's safe or not to have it inside but, remember meter locations that pre-date building codes are grandfathered in till a portion has to be replaced. then code is properly enforced .. but still that varies from state to state and county to county.....

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Understand this.

When you enter into a contract with any utility you are giving your permission for the utility worker to enter you property, with or without permission, with you present or without you being present.

It is not the Police who are entering the home it is the utility worker, the police are present to ensure that the utility worker remains honest, and safe.

Here’s the catch 22.

In most every county in the nation, you are required by law to have utilities, but in order to have the utilities you must waive your 4th amendment rights to the utility company.

To answer your question, YES if the Police enter your home with the utility worker in performance of his job, any thing you have left in plain sight that is illegal can be used as evidence against you in court action.

This holds true for the Fire Department as well. If the Fire Department responding to an emergency has to enter your property in the performance of their job, and they witness any illegal activities, they can inform the police, the police then can enter your property a seize the illegal activity, charge, arrest, and prosecute, using the evidence first witnessed by the firemen.

So, the morale of the story is,

Don’t have your illegal activities just laying around, you never know what is going to happen around the next turn.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

The police and military work for the 1% - the Bankers and large corporations that own this country.

When will enough of us...........that is the key word here in stradegy - it must be enough people, great numbers, the majority that get off the couch, off their keyboards, ipods, xboxes, and HP novels and march hand in hand.

When will this happen here in America?

My guess is never.

Between the fluoride (and heaven knows what else), the "stress medicine" many Americans are on, the chemtrails that affect people's brains, and the mind controlling TV telling the people to comply and obey (and yes "They Live" is closer to the truth than people believe) the majority of Americans will quietly comply with the NWO slavery.

United we stand, divided we fall.

And we as a nation are falling.

Not enough of us woke up fast enough, nor had the guts to get out there and physically demand an end to our enslavement.

Welcome to 1984.

edit on 23-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I would think that any incriminating evidence found during these entries would be inadmissable as they do not have a warrant to enter, just to allow the engineers access to the valves.

Also any officer trying this would have to work very hard to explain what he/she was doing looking around residences for criminal activities without any just cause or suspicion and why they were even in the house anywhere apart from possibly where the gas valve is located.

In short, I think they would be sued if they tried to bust people for things left on tables around the house etc.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   
in a matter of life or death a police officer should be allowed into a home. regarding this, it seems death would occur without their gas. i'm sure they wont be braking laws by rummaging through your things...

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
They are doing the people a favor. Would you rather come back to a blown up home? even worse, not knowing of the incident. Going home to a gas leak. Taking a quick nap and never waking up. I'm all for rights, but if all they did was go in. watch the techs. then leave. It was the right thing to do. For the safety of the ones That had the repairs if atleast.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
according to wikipiedia

There are also "exigent circumstances" exceptions to the warrant requirement. Exigent circumstances arise when the law enforcement officers have reasonable grounds to believe that there is an immediate need to protect their lives, the lives of others, their property, or that of others, the search is not motivated by an intent to arrest and seize evidence, and there is some reasonable basis, to associate an emergency with the area or place to be searched.

so i'd imagine the entering the property to secure the gas so you dont possibly blow yourself and your neighbours and your house to the moon and back would be acceptable as its an emergency and they cant wait for the house holder to return from 2 weeks in hawaii

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:36 AM
link   
So if they come in and Im not home and they shoot my dogs because they felt threatened can I sue the hell out of everybody?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

No they cannot charge you if they find something illegal in your home.

They arnt supposed to have the right to do this anyways, but will your state govenor stop it? Probably not.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by brokedown

Thank you for your post. I learned a lot from it.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by brokedown
Understand this.

When you enter into a contract with any utility you are giving your permission for the utility worker to enter you property, with or without permission, with you present or without you being present.

It is not the Police who are entering the home it is the utility worker, the police are present to ensure that the utility worker remains honest, and safe.

Here’s the catch 22.

In most every county in the nation, you are required by law to have utilities, but in order to have the utilities you must waive your 4th amendment rights to the utility company.

To answer your question, YES if the Police enter your home with the utility worker in performance of his job, any thing you have left in plain sight that is illegal can be used as evidence against you in court action.

This holds true for the Fire Department as well. If the Fire Department responding to an emergency has to enter your property in the performance of their job, and they witness any illegal activities, they can inform the police, the police then can enter your property a seize the illegal activity, charge, arrest, and prosecute, using the evidence first witnessed by the firemen.

So, the morale of the story is,

Don’t have your illegal activities just laying around, you never know what is going to happen around the next turn.

No... They cannot.

The only way they can charge you with something legally, they have to be there for that purpose. There is NO judge that will allow such a thing to happen. Now, if you invited that officer into your home, and he noticed a joint on the table, then yes. If he sees it through a window.. then yes.. If he smells it and then goes into your home, then yes... If he comes in by his own means and sees it.. No! You cannot be charged with a crime unless you are found or suspected of that crime.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

I suppose we will have to agree to dis-agree.

The entry in to the citizen’s property, does fall under the “exigent circumstances” as our friend Maxatoria has pointed out.

The Police CANNOT search the property, but if illegal activity is left in plain sight, then YES it can and WILL be used as evidence in court.

Also you have already waived your fourth amendment right when you enter into a contract with the utility company.

This bring us to a more current controversy, the SMART METER.

You should be aware that if your property has been equipped with a Smart Meter, this device acts like a radio signal to transmit usage data to the utility company. The data can be used to identify illegal activity taking place on the property. Warrants can be issued using this data as probable cause. The reason this is holding up in court is the fact that you waive your rights when your enter into the contract with the utility.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   

they are without gas currently. when gas pressure is restored there could be a potential that the pressure level increases than to what it was before. so everything down line has to be adjusted other wise it could put someone IN A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION. so if this happened in my area and i used gas....i would be ok.

can you think of the events that could unfold if to much gas surged thousands of homes..potential threats...

furnace over-fire,soot ,CO,CO2, cause leaks in pipes that would have never leaked, then leading to a fire ball for a home...... yeah not worth it - they are trying to keep people safe after a screw up

they see something illegal... technically they wouldn't have a foot to stand on due to they breaking into the home
Actually if the gas goes off so does the pilot flame; then the gas comes back on.... your water heater thermostat says it's "cold" so it turns the gas burner valve wide open.(no "pilot" means your basement is filled with unburned flammable gas). Although there is a "pilot flame detected safety"; it may not be 100%reliable or even there on older equipment...

I understand the 4th amendment argument.They certainly would not be able to "search"( "fruits of the poisioned tree") but anything in plain site would be fair game.

Hey put your dope away.. a minor conviction Is bettter than blowing up your house or burning down theneighborhood....Not really having a problem with this one.

edit on 23-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Elostone
How far is our government and Law Enforcement going to push us before we stand up and push back?
Thoughts?
edit on 23-12-2011 by Elostone because: (no reason given)

What have you done to date to stand up or are you waiting for everyone else to do something first?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join