It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Most Members of ATS Have Any College Education?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

I'm an architect but mainly do specification writing and BIMS management.

I would strongly recommend that you get a degree in a technical or scientific field. There are three primary reasons; you will develop an ordered mind, you will most likely always have work and you will have personal achievements throughout your chosen career.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fazza!
Graduated with a 2.1 BSc in Meteorology and Atmospheric Science over a year ago. I work part time in a bar and play drums in a few local bands (tbh haven't tried to find a proper job yet
)

In the UK a 2.1 degree is an upper second and a good class of degree.

In the US a 2.1 is a grade point average (GPA) barely above the pass mark for a degree.

In fact I would surmise that you have a British degree, otherwise you would not be mentioning your GPA

edit on 23-12-2011 by Helixer because: sp

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I din't even finish high school.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

i agree.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Over time on ATS, you will learn by experience that the "average" ATSer is a white US male in his late teens or early twenties, with educational attainment of "some college." In other word, American middle class education.

Some will claim to various specialties; but with the exception of IT and the military, this is often an imagined resume.

One of the limiters of excellence is that the vast majority of the audience has limited patience for complex concepts, primary sources, or original research. Threads that are tightly focused on information quickly fall silent and slide off the bottom of the "recent posts" list. On the other hand, threads which contain lots of outrageous bombast and rank speculation live on for month, and are "active threads." Because of ATS' format, the only threads you are likely to notice are these "active threads." And generally, an active thread has lots of emotion (trolling), and less information.

One of best threads on the survival forum is only 16 posts long; the original poster provides a link to an incredible archive of do-it-yourself information. A dozen people thank him. Then he posts a couple of other, slightly less useful websites. Then the tread dies. From the standpoint of useful information, it was a great success. But for the sake of "the leading conspiracy website," it sank like a stone because there was no rancor or trawling.

And the forum has no real way to post a chart for others to find. Neither is it arranged by topic (bugging out, growing your own food, emergency medicine), the way that even the most prosaic "serious" survival website is.

Over time, the serious posters gravitate to more serious sites, and only come to ATS to say high to a few old friends, while the teenagers argue over how many Chuck Norrises it would take to sink an air craft carrier group.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I have a degree in physics and astrolgy, however, i do enjoy experimenting with spirits,demons and inventing things. I also love ats but some of the threads on here are very disturbing.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I am only a senior in high school with classes that I have taken in college or for college credit including:

AP Statistics
AP Calculus I
AP Calculus II
AP Chemistry
AP Government

And some classes dealing with communication, one biology class, and one computer music class, all taken at a university. I will major in Physics Engineering.

That good enough? BTW, all A's except Stats which I got a B in

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   

I have a bachelor's degree in Business Administration and Computer Technology earning honors summa cum laude. (4.0 GPA) I have worked as a corporate controller for over 20 years.

ATS is a great community because we have all levels of education on many subjects.
I like that ATS is great for breaking news in a raw format.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm a plumber... with 1/4 of a geology degree...1/4 mechanical engineer....basically plumber....yay me.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

well yes to the question 6 years study in the uk foundry technology technicians grade one with distinction .R.M.I.T. in melbourne Australia hydraulics and pneumatics technician . i am not blowing my whistle but you did ask . I am sure there are lots more people in our group who have Qualifications i believe if one is self aware then one is also aware of the need for communication at all levels and we as a group can teach one and other things we no little about .good post

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by wrathchild

I would be disappointed if you don't whistle the Super Mario Theme or sing the whole 80's Super Mario Show Theme song while doing the job

I am at the qantm college. I have several nice looking papers that tell me i'm something...i guess:
Game Programming Diploma, Bachelor of Arts/Science (Hons) Games Programming, after doing some work in the gaming industry, i went back to qantm (you need some job experience and have to be at least 25 before you can start) to get the Master of Arts/Science Professional Practice (Creative Media Industries)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
B.A. In literature and a published author. Also, currently pursuing a teaching certificate. In defense of college, it was my professors who inspired me to pursue the English language as a lifelong passion. Can you be successful and informed without college? Absolutely, but for many, college forces people to round out their education and study subjects that they might normally ignore. My love of math came from challenging myself with physics when choosing a math elective. My knowledge of basic scientific concepts came from the curriculum insisting I take lab courses. College is not the only way to grow, but it does give the oppourtunity to learn from some great minds in very complex fields. Not every professor is a shining star, however. There's bunk practitioners in every field.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by VivaDiscordia

AAS in aviation maint, with lotsa years in that field. Also working on my BS in mgt.

Dont forget to point out to your other half that congress in wallpapered with degrees from prestigious universities world wide....and look at what that gets us.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

I'm currently taking community college courses, but next fall I'll be heading to KU for a degree in Astrophysics.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Currently studying history at a decent UK university. I think education forces you to question things, hence people on here (most anyway)- I would believe to have a degree of intelligence. Questioning what you have been told shows you have a mind of your own and not just the capacity to absorb information but to evaluate it.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I am an engineer and have an engineering degree. I would be more specific but in case someone wanted to identify me, I prefer to remain a bit anonymous as to what degree. I believe I read the other day that the percentage of manufacturing jobs in the US dropped from in the 30% range in the 1950's to the 10% range today as a percentage of the US workforce. The US and China are the biggest manufacturer's in the world. I'm not sure if China is the largest now or not since their output has been growing so fast. The US is still one of the top two manufacturer's in the world in terms of output. We need to make more things here to boost our living standards in my opinion.

I don't usually post about this topic though. I mainly use ATS for entertainment and see what is supposedly going on. Just stating the above to let people know I am an engineer. I also am an amateur Astronomer and aced a course in Astronomy in college with the most challenging teacher I was told by all the students I talked to. I liked that though because I learned a lot. I had a number of conversations with him after the class was over. I was the only student taking his class as an elective course.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by tovenar

Tovenar, you're brilliant, Thank you for the laugh out loud. Now, where is that link to that 15 post survival thread, please?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I've gone to college for 3 years, never got a degree....so what? Our government and major corporations are filled with highly educated individuals...so what. What is the state of our country under the leadership of all these highly educated lawyers and CEO's...not so good? How many people went to college, borrowed a lot of money and are not working or working for wages you don't need a degree to earn. Makes you wonder what's important, doesn't it ?

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Education is a tool that helps with numerous things.
Second.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
I'm in college but I'm not highly qualified yet.
I'm still a spoiled brat.
I only have book smarts. [some of the time]

edit on 23-12-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join